New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XIX: Toss a Coin to your Goblin

[Shooting Range]

Gwas frowns. "Doesn't that strike you as a little... cowardly?" He asks, before quickly amending, "Not to cast any aspersions on you, master Krayger. It's just... well, what you said is true for just about any kind of fight. And while it's not my business to go starting any, I was training to be a knight. We're not supposed to back down from a confrontation just because it might get us killed."
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Shooting Range

Krayger nods. He reaches into his bag and pulls out a sheet of steel, which he lays against a post about fifteen yards away.
    Then he loads a pointed-looking round into his revolver and fires it, blowing a hole clean through the sheet.
    "And those principles are easier to uphold when you're a knight with armor that is guaranteed to at least help you." Krayger lays down the weapon on the counter.
    "I'm not saying that you shouldn't fight. I'm saying that you have to be smart about it, because the potential for it to become lethal at any moment and from any opponent is much higher than what you're used to. At least in theory. Of course half the time kids shooting these things haven't the slightest idea what aim or trigger discipline is." he snorts, shaking his head.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2021-10-05 at 03:41 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

[Astrana's Office]

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Siana noticed Olvisin's reaction almost immediately. While she doesn't know anything about the King in Rags, she knows positively mythic terror when she sees it. There are a few figures in her own world's mythos she'd rather not learn were waiting around the corner, after all.

She sidles up to the goblin and gives her a little nudge to try to bring her back to reality. "Miss Olvisin? Are you okay?"
    "I... think so?" Olvisin says uncertainly, shaking her head, as if awakening from a vision or dream. Then she realizes that given the circumstances, it might be best not to dismiss this as something unimportant. "I just felt really scared for some reason when Reina was describing her recent jobs. I have no idea why. I've never heard of anything or anyone she mentioned."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #814

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Shooting Range

Krayger nods. He reaches into his bag and pulls out a sheet of steel, which he lays against a post about fifteen yards away.
    Then he loads a pointed-looking round into his revolver and fires it, blowing a hole clean through the sheet.
    "And those principles are easier to uphold when you're a knight with armor that is guaranteed to at least help you." Krayger lays down the weapon on the counter.
    "I'm not saying that you shouldn't fight. I'm saying that you have to be smart about it, because the potential for it to become lethal at any moment and from any opponent is much higher than what you're used to. At least in theory. Of course half the time kids shooting these things haven't the slightest idea what aim or trigger discipline is." he snorts, shaking his head.
    [Shooting Range]

"...That makes good sense, I suppose." Gwas says with a nod. He didn't quite agree with the armor argument (being practically immortal even without it), but he could understand the merits of not fighting like an idiot. Though he does feel the need to make this point to Krayger, as well. With a sigh, he unslings his greatbow, loads up a spear-sized arrow, and launched it down the range at the sheet of steel, leaving a fist-sized hole in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Astrana's Office]

"I... think so?" Olvisin says uncertainly, shaking her head, as if awakening from a vision or dream. Then she realizes that given the circumstances, it might be best not to dismiss this as something unimportant. "I just felt really scared for some reason when Reina was describing her recent jobs. I have no idea why. I've never heard of anything or anyone she mentioned."
    [Astrana's Office]

"That... is a little more worrying than the alternative." Siana says, voicing the sentiment. "...That being said, I can't help but think we're both just a bit underfoot here. Maybe we should wait outside?" She looks over at Astrana, implicitly asking her permission to bow out for a moment.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

[A Cat's Cuddly Coupling]

"I already know building a resistance from exposure is possible, but that's from the perspective of a non-psychic and I don't know what caps or limitations such efforts possess." Nor exactly how blasted by psychic energy one has to be to get a legitimate defense. It doesn't help if your mind is broken into thirds by the time you've developed an immunity.

Reina's pretty certain Pania is capable of forcing Magtok to stop when she thinks he needs to, but it never hurts to have someone in the room who can bend his arm behind his back. Besides, she owes him that much for that kneeling nonsense earlier. She just hopes it'll be painful and that he resists.

"If we're decided, how about I take Magtok to the training room and you meet us there in five, ten minutes?" Reina suggests. Give Pania a moment to gather herself if she needs it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Shooting Range

This is part of the problem given that Gwas hasn't told Krayger that he's immortal and thus Krayger is making mortal assumptions. He's only made a passing implication of it by showing off his teeth.
    "Ah, I know some rifles that can really punch holes like that. But they're not really my thing. I've never really liked things that focus on long-range. I don't have the eyes for it. The main trade-off you're going to find is that a rifle can fire again faster than you can pull that back and can fire from a less obvious position, but is going to make a lot of noise.
    But we have something else to talk about on the other end of the spectrum."

He reaches out, and despite being indoors a miniature clap of thunder shakes the room as a bolt of lightning appears in his hand and forms into a simple but masterfully made polearm.
    "How familiar are you with magic weapons?"

7. - Top - End - #817

[Shooting Range]

"...That's a more complicated question than it sounds." Gwas replies, eyeing the weapon in Krayger's hand. "Weapons that are innately magical, few and far between. However..." he draws an arming sword from under his coat, which would probably be a little more impressive for someone normal-sized, but in his hands, looks like a gimmicky letter opener. "Trained warriors like myself can manifest a few magical effects with even ordinary weapons. Depending on who is wielding it, any weapon can be magical."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Shooting Range

There’s nothing gimmicky about an honest smallsword.
    ”Good. Then you’re already familiar with the possibility of any piece of steel being swung at you being more than mere steel. The only difference is that innately magical tools are easier to find here. Be aware, but it doesn’t sound like it’ll be any different for you there.” Krayger doesn't seem to be explaining the polearm.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Hope for Babies]

Did Astrana use some of the same rituals to give birth to her daughters? Given that four of them were quadruplets and one was born with snakes for hair, it's a distinct possibility.

"Both to me and to the child," she says. Seems she would be taking on the role of being guided in this plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Hope for Babies]

"That would depend on what you mean, Trick." Astrana responds. "Though before we go into that I feel that I should clarify that this is an established method that I got from a book, not something experimental. So I can't really say that I've been 'testing it'. I wouldn't recommend it to you if it was something I've just been testing out. However, there have been clients that have wanted to use it and none of them have reported anything out of the ordinary."

She clears her voice. "That said, I want to make a few points about 'the ordinary' and what to expect. Since while there aren't any side effects to the mother, at least not using any of the yokai that I employ, the children are usually born with some minor aspect of them. The more obvious examples include, eyes, horns or tails similar to those of the yokai's species, claw-like nails... not all of these manifest at birth but can grow in later. Usually before or during puberty."

As she talks, Astrana pulls out a drawer on her desk and takes out a book that she simply holds in her hand for now. "Then there's more subtle effects like affinity to the animal species the yokai represent or a fascination with them. While I admit that the long-term mental effects aren't well-documented the reason for that is that there has been little to no concern of anything like that. Animal yokai don't tend to be subtle, they're simple and direct about what they want. They don't have hidden agendas or try to lure you in with pretty words. The same goes for any aspect of them that would manifest in the child. Simple and direct, not any effects that could stay hidden for decades. That's why I like working with them, it's refershingly honest compared to a lot of other beings that you see warlocks dealing with in fiction."

Astrana then finally places the book on the desk. It's a plain leather journal that looks rather worn. "Speaking of fiction, here's some non-fiction for you to read. It fully documents various children born with the help of this method as well as their mothers." She taps the faded leather cover with her finger. "Though I'm not letting this one leave this office, instead I could scan up the pages online and send them to you if you're interested. The authors don't use the same yokai as I do of course but it should still give you a pretty good idea of what to expect."
    [Hope for Babies]

Trick considers it for a long moment. Truth be told, this might not even be a bad thing, with the right animal spirit chosen - taking on aspects of a large, muscular creature might be a good way to ensure the kid is large and healthy throughout their life. And Trick has a lot of experience with animals - real ones, not spirits - and there's certainly a tendency towards honest expression. What few are capable of trickery and falsehood are still transparent in their wants and desires if you know what you're looking at, and are more concerned with what's in front of them than what they could risk down the line.

Trick nods, "I think this works, for me at least. I'd definitely like some scans of the journal if you don't mind. But I've gotta ask; what are you asking for as payment for this?" Trick expects this won't be anything too heinous - maybe some potions or a ritual in exchange, or maybe a favor down the line. If it's just money, that'll be laughably easy for the warlock.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

10. - Top - End - #820

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Astrana's Office]

Reina pauses to consider Astrana. Right. She was surrounded by Mercenaries now. Olvisin is probably been waiting here this whole time to get paid for the temporary use of the cat carrier, like some sort of feline uber service. Reina would have to get used to more secrets and less co-operation than she was used to from the last several years at GLoG. Reina just wishes Astrana had been honest about what she really wanted earlier instead of snapping at Reina for something unrelated. It'd make this situation a lot less uncomfortable.

"Fine." Reina tears out the page she had been making her notes on and makes a show of ripping it up.
    [Astrana's Office]

Astrana definitely should have mentioned that first but at the time of her outburst she wasn't exactly acting rationally and she was more acting on the feeling of disrespect towards her. She had already been feeling rather snappy and stressed out after her meeting with Siana and almost getting killed by her.

It had been a long day.

"...alright, thank you." So where were they? "You may continue your explanation then."

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

[Astrana's Office]

Not wanting to walk out of the circle to put the paper scraps in the trash, Reina shoves them in her pocket for now. "Dena and I were investigating fey disturbances in Inside. We went to the most ramshackle house I've seen in awhile. It took the code as far in the other direction as possible while still remaining standing. There was a bird-human hybrid who was distressing enough to look at. He called himself an attendant of some sort of fey court. Very exaggerated jester sort. It felt... felt like he was broken without the King he was waiting for. Some sort of... Ragged King. Rag King? No, no, King in Rags, that was it. Some sort of deposed leader, quite possibly long dead and not actually coming back but the court was the lingering remains of some ancient myth. Something about reopening the Door to the Fairest of Lands." Reina shrugs, unsure.

"Either way, the jester showed us their 'peasants'. Which was a bunch of birds. Not regular birds. Supernatural birds. Crows, ravens, magpies that were all... more. Animal spirits maybe? It was all weird fey nonsense, that's for sure. They all united forces into an Eye of the Bird which I guess was some sort of bird think tank? It was also a physical eye that could talk and was really creepy. We didn't learn too much from that point. The birds had been going around and getting shoo'd away, hence the whole 'disturbance' thing. The Eye offered us a deal, but Tybalt, Dena, and I all refused on the spot and left." It's all fascinating, but Reina fails to see how any of that is relevant to now. Still, she continues.

"Some time later I was on a mission with Krayger. We had to help a Prince hunt down a thunder bird that was causing madness. There was some... cultural nonsense as to why the King had to be the one to kill the bird. Their money, so their rules I guess. The madness in particular was the revelry and violence type. Like... old school Bacchus level stuff. We went through a town that had been afflicted, got directions as to where it went, met up with the Prince and tracked it. Then, uh... we killed it, or the King killed I guess, but in the process I hit my head on a rock. Got a concussion. So I'm a little fuzzy on any extra details." Particularly any details involving Reina pointing a weapon at Krayger and their clients. Reina conveniently leaves that out because of her 'fuzzy memory'. "But as far as I know it was actually pretty straightforward in the end. No particular shenanigans. Job successful."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

[Astrana's Office]

"Yeah... maybe we should. This seems to be beyond our expertise." Olvisin is pretty clearly eager to be elsewhere when this "King in Rags" is being discussed, as well.

[Hope for Babies]

Sophie takes a deep breath. This is a lot to take in, but Astrana's confidence in discussing it reassures her. She clearly knows a lot about it and can anticipate their concerns.

"If the side-effects are benign, it's something to be considered. I'm likely to safely withstand anything that happens. It's the child that concerns me. I'm... well, this is probably relevant. I'm not exactly mortal. More like a demigoddess."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-10-09 at 06:30 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

13. - Top - End - #823

[Astrana's Office]

Siana nods and heads for the door, holding it open for Olvisin despite the difficulty that causes her. She doesn't really know what else to do at this point; she's not exactly done with MERC, since Reina had dangled the possibility of still getting a license in front of her but was mum on how soon or how they'd get in touch with her about that decision, but at the same time, there wasn't any obvious thing to do at this point.

So, unless Olvisin has some idea, or someone else who might want to talk to her happens along (maybe whoever was officially in charge around here? He might have some choice words for her about the training room), Siana is just going to wait awkwardly outside Astrana's office, trying not to look like an escaped convict in her new plastic clothes.

Ugh. And on top of everything else, she was just developing the worst headache. Must be from stress.

[Shooting Range]

Gwas nods slowly. "So, that part's more or less unchanged." He confirms, scratching at his chin in thought.

After a brief pause, he decides there's something else he wants to ask Krayger about. "Unrelated, but... how are things, socially, here, for people like us?" He runs a finger along his horn. "I mean, I don't think you and I are quite the same, but... well, I'm not a particularly common sight back home. At least, I don't think I am. But I haven't seen many people like me here, either, so..."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-10 at 10:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #824

[Astrana's Office]

Astrana considers this new information for a moment. Thankfully she was something of an expert on animal spirits and a key component in how they often worked was the act of consumption and combat.
    Reina's first story didn't really play into those aspects of all so she thought nothing of it. The second one however...

"I'm not so sure about that, Reina. I've seen many variations of the ritual you describe this prince using. But the logic they're usually based on is that you consume the prey's essence once you've bested it. So try to recall, since this might be important, what exactly happened when you fought this thunderbird? If you aren't sure I might need to call down Krayger for the details. Since it's possible that you might have ended up consuming this beings essence by accident." The fact that this prince hired mercenaries to help him suggest that he was an amateur warlock at best. Someone who had read about the ritual but not properly understood it.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-10-11 at 04:54 AM.

15. - Top - End - #825

[Main Room]

It is Monday as it seems and some of the klerks had their well deserved weekend. It seems some of them wnet shopping as they brought back a few potted plants. Those flowers look foreign, non you see in Outside or any plant shops. They have one winded stalk with a dozen blossoms that shine in abright red color. It looks beautiful in itself, BUT also people nerby or who pass it feel a sudden burst in energy. Like they suddendly work faster or get through the papers they had skipped for soem time now. It should be very obvious that those people are much more eagerand faster in their work.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

[Astrana's Office]

Reina watches Siana and Olvisin as they leave as she considers with a frown. That explanation didn't sound right at all.

"I mean sure, I guess I was closest to it at the time it died? Maybe. But nothing that happened suggested anything consumptive was going on with the Prince. Like I said it was surprisingly straightforward. It showed up, we shot at it. It fired lightning. We dodged and shot some more. I got closer to get a better bead on it. That's when I got electrocuted and fell to the ground, hit my head on a rock. Then... well I was really out of it or really horny cause all I was thinking about was some porno I had seen some time ago I guess." Reina blushes and rubs her arm sheepishly. She hadn't really wanted to share that she was thinking about a nymph and six dudes in the middle of a combat mission, but she definitely couldn't have talked about it with Siana in the room.

"Next thing I remember clearly, the King's elf minions are helping me to my feet. Pretty sure he killed it after Krayger grounded it with bullets. I think." Everything that happened between her getting zapped and getting helped back up is a complete blur at best. She had apparently been very distracted but at the same time she also had her eyes closed in pain or staring up at the sky.

And she keeps using the King and Prince interchangeably when talking about this client of theirs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #827

[Astrana's Office]

Astrana rubs her chin thoughfully. Now that was some interesting context.
    "Consumption isn't nessecary, but it might have assured him getting the essence all to himself. However, if no consumption of the thunderbird happened afterwards it's spirit might have split between everyone that took part in that fight instead. It's a classic ameteur mistake to make."

Though Astrana hadn't read any verifiably accounts of it actually happening before. It was more of a theoretical mistake as whoever was wealthy enough to hire mercenaries could usually squelch such rumors. Hence it was more of a story warlocks liked to share amongst one another rather than accademic study.

"But I admit, I'm curious about this vision you saw before passing out. I'm not going to press you on any details of it but try to think back. Can you see a connection between when you saw Siana stepping out of the circle and transforming and this scene? Did you perhaps have the same kind of feeling shortly before or during both visions?"

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

[Astrana's Office]

"Err... I meant metaphorical consumption." If anyone was going to literally eat the bird, it was Reina, no questions asked. But she at least read Krayger's report after the fact and she doesn't recall anything that looked like a transfer of power or energy.

"Well that's the thing. I didn't really pass out, just... there was like a ringing in my head from the pain? You know, like in those movies where there's a bunch of stuff going on, but the camera's just focused in and all the noises are blurry? Though... I guess it is weird now that you mention it. I don't recall a connecting feeling, but I do know that what I was, erm, remembering back then was a lot more... vivid. At least compared to the thing with Siana. Like, umm... so the bird and the King and Krayger were all fuzzy at the time, but I was definitely recalling the horny in HD remaster or something. But with Siana everything was all... grainy. Fuzzier? It still felt just as real despite that." This is getting frustrating, repeating and recalling the same thing over and over and still feeling like she's failing to communicate it properly.

"But the thing with Siana, it happened right? I mean, she's wearing those clothes so... we're definitely talking a memory here at least." It doesn't help that Reina's personal timeline of events are so jumbled she's having trouble distinguishing the differences.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #829

[Astrana's Office]

"That does sound a lot like a vision to me." Astrana shrugs. "Though I'm hardly an expert in the matter..." She strokes her chin thoughtfully and staresw down at the floor for a moment. "I do know an expert however, if only by reputation." The tiefling gestures at Reina. "In fact, you might actually know them as you live in HALO, right? Since they have a fourth tower compound connected to it and there's a seer that lives there I wish you would talk to. If I arrange for a letter of recommendation and a sick note, would you pay them a visit? It's to confirm if you really do have visions and if they are connected to this thunderbird you hunted and if they truly are of the future."

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Shooting Range]

Gwas nods slowly. "So, that part's more or less unchanged." He confirms, scratching at his chin in thought.

After a brief pause, he decides there's something else he wants to ask Krayger about. "Unrelated, but... how are things, socially, here, for people like us?" He runs a finger along his horn. "I mean, I don't think you and I are quite the same, but... well, I'm not a particularly common sight back home. At least, I don't think I am. But I haven't seen many people like me here, either, so..."
    Shooting Range

Krayger's weapon fizzles out of existence as quickly as it arrived.
    "It's certainly darn better than most worlds. No one is going to question that you have a respectable job as long as you keep yourself respectable looking. You might have to endure some cow jokes but it's no worse than the endless stream of elf jokes or catperson jokes they have to deal with. Your biggest problems would probably be finding clothes and gear for your size and finding a date. Like you said, there's not many of us." Something which has gotten Krayger into some trouble in the past...

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Demands of Snakes]

Astrana nods as she goes about preparing for the ritual. It doesn't take long once she has the venom. Within just fifteen minutes, which is partly Astrana double-checking everything, they've gathered around the circle and waiting a result.

Apparently it can take a while until there's a response.

Dena shows no obvious signs of stress but Kirk already knows this is just a facade. Astrana looks calm and collected too but in her case she's probably not hiding anything underneath it.

Then all of sudden the summoning circle bursts into life and the disembodied head of a giant serpent appears. Just small enough to fit within the confines of the circle.
    It's wearing a hat and appears strangely animate for a serpent. While it doesn't have eyebrows it scales seem to subtly shift in color mimic them as it gives them a look of what seems to be surprise.
    It looks like Astrana is about to speak when the serpent interrupts her. "I might not be who you called for, but as you have been redirected to my department so might as well try to help you in any way I can. I am the Administrator for the Outer Realms, which happens to include the nexus."

Astrana and Dena exchange glances (and perhaps Kirk too). This was not what she had expected at all. "It's... apparently I need your permission for a children?"

"A dragon child? You're absolutely correct, miss." The serpent seems to be looking down at something unseen. "But I don't see that any requests for a dragon being filled in." It's eyes flick up to them again. "Which department are you associated to exactly? Since I don't even see documentation of gorgons being in the nexus here I'm afraid. A quite serious clerical error."
    [Demands of Snakes]

"Consider the request filed as of now." Kirk cuts in. "We're looking to get it done, and you'll need to help us. You can resolve your clerical errors on your own time, I'm sure." The drow goes on.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

[Astrana's Office]

"You're not?" Reina thought she was talking to an expert and that was the whole point! It takes a great deal of effort to not ask 'what are you an expert in then?'. Because it sounds particularly disrespectful even if Reina is legitimately just curious about the answer.

She even wants to argue that she's not sick, but ugh. Better just to get the note and decide later whether to go or not. Less confrontational. "Yeah, sure, I'll do that. But, uh, what gave you the impression that I live in HALO? I live here and before that I lived in GLoG." She's wondering where Astrana's information comes from!
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

23. - Top - End - #833

[Astrana's Office]

"Not in oracle visions, no. It's a very particular subset of warlocks which requires what I must assume to be unique training considering it involves getting yourself ridden." A beat. "As in possessed, the bad kind."

Reina's second question makes Astrana pause a moment. "Oh. I heard were married to Tovia so I assumed that you were with HALO once."

((Will post for the other scene later...))

24. - Top - End - #834

Shooting Range

Krayger's weapon fizzles out of existence as quickly as it arrived.
    "It's certainly darn better than most worlds. No one is going to question that you have a respectable job as long as you keep yourself respectable looking. You might have to endure some cow jokes but it's no worse than the endless stream of elf jokes or catperson jokes they have to deal with. Your biggest problems would probably be finding clothes and gear for your size and finding a date. Like you said, there's not many of us." Something which has gotten Krayger into some trouble in the past...
    [Shooting Range]

"I'm not especially worried about either of those." Gwas shrugs, running his hands along the flaps of his suit jacket. "A friend showed me where I can reliably find clothes. And early into my tomb guard training, I took.a vow of celibacy, so... dates weren't really on the table in the first place." It was surprising how much simpler that made his job. His social skills really only needed to extend far enough to get along with his fellow guard. Singular. No dates, no friends, no worries. Well, except that the immortal princess-witch turned tyrant might break out and try to kill everyone. Other than that, it was practically stress-free.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

Shooting Range

"Well, if you plan on standing in front of a tomb for the foreseeable future it does make planning possible engagements simpler. Sounds powerfully boring, though."
    Of course, what does your vow mean now, Gwas? Now that the tomb is full of concrete and in the care of Intersection while you hang around mercenaries?

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

[Astrana's Office]

"Ah... so you think this bird possessed me?" That... well that would make a lot more sense than just waking up being able to see things. That kind of thing only happens to special people. Reina's not special. She's not entirely ruling out time travel yet though. But it is worrying either way.

The catgirl shakes her head. "Tobias and I were... are..." Reina falls a little quiet. "Well, we had a pretty passionate thing together at GLoG. Kids and everything. I... wanted more. And he didn't. We fought about it and I left to come to MERC. I thought he'd follow by now but I guess... well he was always too stubborn. Too prideful." It's not like Reina's gone back to apologize either. "So. I thought he cared about me the way I cared about him but... well, let's just say that there's no engagement. And I don't know how long I can pretend we're on the same road together anymore."

She's clearly been troubled by this for awhile, willing to spill to the first person who even remotely brought it up. Probably more than Astrana needs to know.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

27. - Top - End - #837

[Astrana's Office]

"I suspect you might have been possessed by a part of it at least. See, there are two extremes of possession that we usually refer to.
    Guided and ridden.
    Guided is like a whisper in your ear coming with suggestions while ridden is the spirit having complete control over your body and mind.
    The two exist on a spectrum however as there are many degrees of possession."
    She tries to visualize this by showing Reina a very simple spectrum that she just drew in her notebook.

Guided _____________________________________Ridden

"In oracles case the spirit is always inside of them but never seem to act or influence you until it feels like it. Then it takes over them completely in order to deliver whatever soothsaying it has in store before returning back control again. In your case however you seem more guided than ridden. The spirit is showing you things but it doesn't seem to take complete control over your body as far as you can tell, does that sound accurate?"

Astrana would have prefer to stay on this academic subject but then Reina brings up Tobias which feels more than a little awkward.

"Ah..." She clears her throat as going from discussing possession to Reina's relationship to Toby, who she had never met or really knew that much about causes some mental whiplash.

"...well, pride isn't easy to overcome. MERC and GloG in particular have some significant ideological differences which I could see causing hesitation." Assuming it was the daycare centered organization Val had turned over the kids to a couple of times. She should really know more about it considering she had turned over her children to their care, shouldn't she?

"But it isn't a good excuse though, is it? If he let's pride stand in the way of your relationship that's his problem. Not yours. Relationships are about comprimising and if he refuses to even move an inch from his convictions then that's going to cause problems for everyone that he claims he holds dear." Astrana pauses. "I'd ask more questions but I'm not sure I can dedicate the time you deserve right now considering the possession problem. If you are indeed influenced by a spirit Krayger might be too due to his involvement so I'd need to talk to him too.

But if you do want to talk more about this I'm always open later. That or you could always turn to a friend since I feel this isn't something you should have to deal with alone."

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ghost in the Playground

[A Cautious Confirmation]
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Cyborg's Scientific Scheming

Magtok's player pauses to check the thread's OP to confirm something, before Magtok himself nods sagely. Yes, MERC does, in fact, have a dedicated training room, and people probably won't mind if they make a big ugly psychic mess of it. Heck, even if they do mind, this still technically qualifies as training, and it's for the long-term benefit and mental fortitude of one of MERC's own members, so he has a perfectly valid justification for anything that might go wrong, right? Not that we think anything's going to go wrong, mind you, it's just that we're experimenting with a wildly unpredictable and untested field of anomalous power, so if something does go wrong, it's important to have a way to talk your way out of trouble prepared in advance.

"I'm going to be honest, this is my first legitimate foray into psionic research. We're going to start with just playing the recording a few times somewhere with a soft, padded floor, to see if you can develop a resistance just from repeated exposure. If at any point you feel like you're close to being able to replicate what the recording is doing with your own voice, we'll try that a few times, too. After a while, if you're feeling completely overwhelmed and need to take a break or even call the whole thing off, we'll stop. I won't be able to insist that we keep going because we might be on the verge of a breakthrough because if I tried, Reina would be there to make me stop," Magtok explains, confident that the cat will be capable of acting quickly and decisively to call him an ******* or punch him in the face or whatever else might be necessary. It certainly won't come to that, though. Abusing staff that aren't his own Magbots or even his own staff is a terrible idea, and nothing good can come of that.

Spoiler: [B
    Show
    [A Cat's Cuddly Coupling][/B]

"I already know building a resistance from exposure is possible, but that's from the perspective of a non-psychic and I don't know what caps or limitations such efforts possess." Nor exactly how blasted by psychic energy one has to be to get a legitimate defense. It doesn't help if your mind is broken into thirds by the time you've developed an immunity.

Reina's pretty certain Pania is capable of forcing Magtok to stop when she thinks he needs to, but it never hurts to have someone in the room who can bend his arm behind his back. Besides, she owes him that much for that kneeling nonsense earlier. She just hopes it'll be painful and that he resists.

"If we're decided, how about I take Magtok to the training room and you meet us there in five, ten minutes?" Reina suggests. Give Pania a moment to gather herself if she needs it.]

"That is acceptable," Pania simply stated. She wasn't going to be enthusiastic about it, but money is money. And as long as nobody tried to go physically rummaging through her head again she expected she could handle the testing. "Believe me though, if you try to push me further when I tell you to stop, your girlfriend's reaction will be the least of your problems." Yeah, his girlfriend. She had decided that that was probably what Reina was. Pania nods towards the catgirl. "10 minutes sounds fine. I'll be there then"

29. - Top - End - #839

Shooting Range

"Well, if you plan on standing in front of a tomb for the foreseeable future it does make planning possible engagements simpler. Sounds powerfully boring, though."
    Of course, what does your vow mean now, Gwas? Now that the tomb is full of concrete and in the care of Intersection while you hang around mercenaries?
    [Shooting Range]

"I don't." Gwas replies bluntly. "The tomb I was assigned to guard recently got a massive security upgrade. Namely, being buried under tons of consecrated concrete, and recieving the services of a volunteer reserve guard. This means I don't have to be as near to it in order to do my job; I only need to check for signs of drilling every so often. I intend to take a more proactive approach to ensuring the tomb remains sealed, by seeking out any who would open it." He shrugs. "Of course, that is a substantial increase of my duties, hence the need to learn the local climate."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-10-15 at 11:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

Shooting Range

"You're planning on assassinating anyone who looks like they might try to open a tomb?" Krayger asks incredulously.
    "That sounds both kinda screwed up and an eternal, thankless task."