New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Sudden thought: short rests enabled by specific items

Not a fully fleshed-out idea and going to be semi-jokingly leaning into stereotypes for fantasy races initially, but this is inspired by something said in the thread on overland travel rules.

One of the issues I had during the hex crawl phase of Tomb of Annihilation was making it feel like exploring Chult was in any way hazardous. The limited encounters meant they largely could nova on the days they had one, and the foraging rules seem awfully generous, too.

The thread that inspired this suggested that camping was only a short rest, and you needed indoor shelter (I interpret this as a town, inn, city, or cleared cave or dungeon) to get a long rest. Not quite gritty realism variant, but approaching it.

So for travel and exploration, the search for a rare cave or other place for a good long rest is paramount. Otherwise, you’re working with gritty realism’s overnight short rests.

To make this work on “dungeon exploration” scale, I want to count overnighting in the dungeon as a long rest (easily enough done by saying it’s a good shelter if they secure it properly), but I also want to re-enable the standard short rest rules without making it strictly location-based.

To this end, what if there were items that enabled a short rest to be compressed into an hour? Maybe dwarven ale lets a dwarf get a full short rest in one hour. A lemba lets an elf do so. Humans need their coffee. Or maybe there’s just a special potion or ration for it. Something priced more like a med kit than usual rations to make them nontrivial expenses.

I do kind-of like the idea of each race or even culture having their own “thing” for it, but a universal one or having them just be fluff for the same mechanical item could work, too.

Thoughts are invited. Anything that could refine this, or any glaring problems with it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Sudden thought: short rests enabled by specific items

You might have an item that casts Catnap on six or so people, and is usable a set number of times per long rest or even week.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by cutlery View Post
    You might have an item that casts Catnap on six or so people, and is usable a set number of times per long rest or even week.
    I think catnap remains useful even with this change. This is technically a straight nerf, but trying to be flavorful as well as good gameplay.

It’s worth noting that even with the “dwarven ale,” a dwarf needs an hour to get that short rest benefit.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I think catnap remains useful even with this change. This is technically a straight nerf, but trying to be flavorful as well as good gameplay.

It’s worth noting that even with the “dwarven ale,” a dwarf needs an hour to get that short rest benefit.
    Ah, I see. Then some sort of magical graham crackers that are consumable and grant the benefit make sense. Maybe give them two hours or so in which to take the rest to account for interruptions, depending on how hardcore you'd like the mechanic to be.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I read through a lot of the same thread, and found the mechanic really interesting. I'm DMing an Icewind Dale game sometime soon and think that may make a good addition.

The way I interpreted the idea, however, was that regular short rests were still available. "Camping" short rests taking the full night were different because they'd give the normal benefits of a short rest, plus remove the exhaustion penalty for not sleeping, but gain no other long rest benefits.

I do still quite like the idea of an item that enhances a camping short rest, however. Maybe instead of making a camping short rest take an hour, it could have the benefit of restoring ONE hit die on a camping short rest? Still not nearly as good as a long rest, but will help you not lose the war of attrition as quickly if through bad luck or terrain you end up going for several days without an actual long rest.

Also, elephant in the room, but may be better discussed on the first thread, Leomund's Tiny Hut. Is that full shelter/long rest or more secure camping short rest?

EDIT: I'm newish and don't know how to strike-thru yet, so pretend I struck through my second paragraph. Checked the original thread, and in that variant standard short rests did not exist. For balance reasons, I like the system but would still make short rests exist because without them no one would ever want to be a Warlock or a Monk or in some cases a Fighter, and bardic inspiration would get worse. Unique items to enhance camping is still a really fun idea in it's essence and I'd love to help refine it further.
    Last edited by jojosskul; 2020-10-14 at 10:39 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jojosskul View Post
    The way I interpreted the idea, however, was that regular short rests were still available. "Camping" short rests taking the full night were different because they'd give the normal benefits of a short rest, plus remove the exhaustion penalty for not sleeping, but gain no other long rest benefits.
    I really like this, honestly. You could give extra benefits to camping short rests based off of how comfortable the party can get - I'd say that eating a freshly-cooked meal as part of camping restores 2HD and gives you +1 HP per hit-die you spend, as a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

In the context of Tomb of Annihilation, I suggest expendable camping supplies.

Say, a gallon of purified water, enough dried wood and fire-lighters to build a large campfire in a downpour, and gorging themselves on high-calorie, relatively bulky food. Cans of beans, beef jerky, etc.

Idea here is that those supplies would be fairly easy to get in civilisation, but they could only carry a fixed amount with them (due to bulk, not weight. To stop the Str 18 fighter carrying too much).
    So they'd only be able to carry enough for a fixed number of short rests. And every short rest burns through their food and water supplies.

If you want a magical item, your idea of Lembas bread is a good one. It should work on halflings (and presumably humans, dwarves, etc) too.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedWizardGuy

I guess a bigger question is: if you'll restrict long rests (have to be somewhere safe and comfy, preferably with a roof and a bath), what's wrong with regular short rests as they exist? You'll run out of hit die, eventually.

I guess I'd add a medium rest that restores 1/2 hit die; basically an 8 hour rest not in a safe place; and functions otherwise like a short rest; maybe that can require the magical crackers.

I like it for gritty realism reasons, but it could make short rest classes shine a bit too brightly.

OTOH, that doesn't seem to happen much, so maybe it's fine.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I really like this, honestly. You could give extra benefits to camping short rests based off of how comfortable the party can get - I'd say that eating a freshly-cooked meal as part of camping restores 2HD and gives you +1 HP per hit-die you spend, as a start.
    Exactly. Also, if you wanted to you could have some expensive/rare consumables that allow full caster classes (no halfs or thirds) to gain the equivalent of Arcane Recovery on a Camping Short Rest. Incense on the campfire for clerics that costs 10 gp per spell level of spell restored, still up to only half the cleric's level of course.

Honestly to keep things simple the burning incense thing could work for all the full casters. Wizards use it focus their mind, Druids to get in touch with nature, Bards to seek inspiration, Sorcerers to do some introspection and get in touch with the source of their power. 10 gp per spell level I feel like keeps things just expensive enough that they'd still seek shelter, and by the time the cost is trivial (remember this only works on camping short rests, not normal ones) a party should have magical means of sheltered camping most of the time anyway.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by cutlery View Post
    I guess a bigger question is: if you'll restrict long rests (have to be somewhere safe and comfy, preferably with a roof and a bath), what's wrong with regular short rests as they exist? You'll run out of hit die, eventually.
    Well, the idea as I see it is this:

"Camping" is 8 hours of rest (4 hours, if you're an elf) in "the wilderness" and gives the benefits of a Short Rest.

"Resting" requires a good, secure shelter, such as one finds in civilization or by strongly securing a cave or area of a dungeon, and takes 8 hours (4, if an elf) to grant the benefits of a Long Rest.

Consuming some expensive-enough-not-to-be-trivial supplies grants the benefits of a Short Rest with an hour to enjoy them, according to the standard 5e rules for Short Resting.

Leomund's tiny hut is an interesting question and problem, yes. It would seemingly immediately re-enable Resting (for a Long Rest's benefit) anywhere.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I've done it in the form of magical fruit. A grape gives a short rest. An apple gives a long rest. It is more a correction for myself. Running out of my own ideas for my campaign I started to adapt published modules. One I used was for levels above the party, so I gave them the fruit since they likely need to nova a bit but it wouldn't logically work to rest right after to avoid the 5 minute adventuring day. It worked well enough. I didn't use the fruit again until the most recent dungeon which is an adventure I created many years ago during 2E adapted for 3E and now for 5E. Since I haven't a clue on how balanced it is they got another apple, but they can short rest normally.

With bias even as a player I could appreciate consumable magic items that provide rests. I actually borrowed the idea from a DM I played with once who gave us said apples. The idea can work. You don't want them too common since it can ruin the mood of play, but even if only given out once the entire campaign they are a nice treat. Use them when you think a particular adventure is difficult but you can't justify gameworld time normal rests during it. The players will appreciate you're being fair and acknowledging the difficulty, having consideration for their fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, here's a sketch of a full rest system built around this idea:

• You can take a short rest over the course of one hour if you use a food or water ration.
    • If you take eight hours to camp, you get the benefits of a short rest for free as long as you got at least some rest. You also don't take penalties for going without sleep.
    • If you eat two food rations, drink two water rations, and get uninterrupted rest while camping, you get the benefits of a long rest instead.
    • You need to eat one food ration and drink one water ration per day to avoid starvation/deprivation penalties.
    • If you use fresh food instead of trail rations when taking a rest, you regain one additional hit-die per fresh ration you consumed, and you gain +1 HP per hit-die you spent.
    • Unless you take pains to hide or secure your campsite, camping calls for a roll on an appropriate random encounter table.

The random encounter thing is to prevent this from degenerating into just being the standard system with extra steps. I also set up the requirements so that they'd be really easy to meet if you're in town or at an inn, where food and water will be plentiful and "I can get a full night's sleep" is generally a safe assumption. Plus, it helps prioritize finding good camping spots - if you're near water, you can skip the water ration requirement. If you can go out and hunt, that's some tasty fresh food if you cook it.

Some things to think about...

• I'm not sure how long fresh rations should last. My gut is saying that they'll last a few days without magical help and that they'll take up more space than trail rations, but I don't have hard numbers on that just yet.
    • I think it'd be thematic if Monks could do their ki meditation in place of using a ration while resting. If anyone can think of a thematic way to extend a similar benefit to Warlocks (who are similarly in a situation where they really want short rests), I'd love to hear it.
    • Should you have to doff your armor to get the benefits of a long rest? I'm a bit conflicted here, honestly - on the one hand, it makes sense, but on the other, it would mean that heavy armor users would have miserable AC if they had to wake up and help defend the camp.
    • Goodberry should satisfy your hunger but shouldn't count as a ration for the purposes of short rests. Otherwise, it just gets around the whole system.
    • Create Food and Water makes water rations and the equivalent of trail rations. If you want a spell that makes fresh food, spring for Heroes' Feast or use Purify Food and Drink to extend the shelf-life of stuff you've already got.
    • Leomund's Tiny Hut should be soft-banned. As in, it's still on the table, but you really only should take it if everyone in the party wants to "graduate" past worrying about resting.

The really big thing that I want to complain about, though, is that the Outlander background, much like Leomund's Tiny Hut, makes this entire subsystem pointless. I'd honestly just give them advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks made to forage instead of "You feed everyone in the party automatically. Good job you!"

I'm also thinking that "quick" short rests should take less than an hour - from what I remember from when I did a bunch of hiking, 10-20 minutes is plenty of time if all you're doing is taking off your pack, stretching a little, and having a snack.

EDIT: This kinda assumes that you're looking for an old-school-ish game where resource management is part of the fun (a style that I like to call "Combat As Chore"). It probably wouldn't fit very well with a more standard game.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2020-10-14 at 01:02 PM.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I had "Apprentice's Friend": a potion that could be consumed (taking a minute) which grants a short rest. Consumable and somewhat expensive, but convenient. Worked well for those "I need to allow short rests, but there's just no time or opportunity" situations like storming a compound under a tight time limit.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

14. - Top - End - #14

• You can take a short rest over the course of one hour if you use a food or water ration.
    • If you take eight hours to camp, you get the benefits of a short rest for free as long as you got at least some rest. You also don't take penalties for going without sleep.
    • If you eat two food rations, drink two water rations, and get uninterrupted rest while camping, you get the benefits of a long rest instead.
    • You need to eat one food ration and drink one water ration per day to avoid starvation/deprivation penalties.
    • If you use fresh food instead of trail rations when taking a rest, you regain one additional hit-die per fresh ration you consumed, and you gain +1 HP per hit-die you spent.
    • Unless you take pains to hide or secure your campsite, camping calls for a roll on an appropriate random encounter table.

The random encounter thing is to prevent this from degenerating into just being the standard system with extra steps. I also set up the requirements so that they'd be really easy to meet if you're in town or at an inn, where food and water will be plentiful and "I can get a full night's sleep" is generally a safe assumption. Plus, it helps prioritize finding good camping spots - if you're near water, you can skip the water ration requirement. If you can go out and hunt, that's some tasty fresh food if you cook it.

• I'm not sure how long fresh rations should last. My gut is saying that they'll last a few days without magical help and that they'll take up more space than trail rations, but I don't have hard numbers on that just yet.
    • I think it'd be thematic if Monks could do their ki meditation in place of using a ration while resting. If anyone can think of a thematic way to extend a similar benefit to Warlocks (who are similarly in a situation where they really want short rests), I'd love to hear it.
    • Should you have to doff your armor to get the benefits of a long rest? I'm a bit conflicted here, honestly - on the one hand, it makes sense, but on the other, it would mean that heavy armor users would have miserable AC if they had to wake up and help defend the camp.
    • Goodberry should satisfy your hunger but shouldn't count as a ration for the purposes of short rests. Otherwise, it just gets around the whole system.
    • Create Food and Water makes water rations and the equivalent of trail rations. If you want a spell that makes fresh food, spring for Heroes' Feast or use Purify Food and Drink to extend the shelf-life of stuff you've already got.
    • Leomund's Tiny Hut should be soft-banned. As in, it's still on the table, but you really only should take it if everyone in the party wants to "graduate" past worrying about resting.

The really big thing that I want to complain about, though, is that the Outlander background, much like Leomund's Tiny Hut, makes this entire subsystem pointless. I'd honestly just give them advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks made to forage instead of "You feed everyone in the party automatically. Good job you!"

I'm also thinking that "quick" short rests should take less than an hour - from what I remember from when I did a bunch of hiking, 10-20 minutes is plenty of time if all you're doing is taking off your pack, stretching a little, and having a snack.

EDIT: This kinda assumes that you're looking for an old-school-ish game where resource management is part of the fun (a style that I like to call "Combat As Chore"). It probably wouldn't fit very well with a more standard game.
    It looks decent for the old-school-ish game, though technically rations as the rest mechanic are a little simplistic, since you need rations anyway.

You're right about it not quite working for more standard games these days. The big motivation here, for me, is justifying gritty realism resting in wilderness exploration BUT normal resting in dungeon-crawling, with something a little more organic than "what mode of game are you in?" as the controlling criterion.

Leomund's tiny hut presents a problem for my formulation because it can justifiably be termed "secure shelter" if any sort of wilderness cave or secured dungeon room can be.

Maybe it is only the best of the "tent" options? This would require a bit more firming up of what is "short rest camping" acceptable and what is "long rest" acceptable.

And whether "sleeping with just a sleeping bag" is enough for a short rest, and why you'd get a tent if so.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

It looks decent for the old-school-ish game, though technically rations as the rest mechanic are a little simplistic, since you need rations anyway.
    Simple is good, and that's kinda the point - I don't want you to have to track anything extra. The idea is that you have a few different "modes" you can go for while traveling:

1) You can get two extra short rests per day if you use one to eat and one to drink. Anything past that is "wasteful".
    2) You can get an extra short rest during the day by drinking your water, and then forage in the evenings (to get the fresh food benefits).
    3) You can burn through resources twice as quickly and forgo keeping watch to get a long rest.

#3 there is where I snuck in the whole "you can only get a long rest if you're somewhere safe" requirement. If the whole party wants to get a long rest, they have to be in a position where they can get away with not keeping watch, and where they can afford to use up a lot of food and water.

And now I realize that I'm not actually helping you with your problem.

It's a shame that there isn't some kind of "medium rest" between short and long rests. Then you could just go with medium rests and long rests outside of dungeons, and short and medium rests inside them. It'd be a pain to shoehorn into the game, though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I'm missing something somewhere. If you're taking an hour to rest anyway to get the short rest and resting for the night to get the long rest, that's how it works normally so what's the point of having magical food to give you rests? There always a chance to have a random encounter during normal rests if the DM wants them via normal rules. I'm not seeing what's different.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Not a fully fleshed-out idea and going to be semi-jokingly leaning into stereotypes for fantasy races initially, but this is inspired by something said in the thread on overland travel rules.

One of the issues I had during the hex crawl phase of Tomb of Annihilation was making it feel like exploring Chult was in any way hazardous. The limited encounters meant they largely could nova on the days they had one, and the foraging rules seem awfully generous, too.

The thread that inspired this suggested that camping was only a short rest, and you needed indoor shelter (I interpret this as a town, inn, city, or cleared cave or dungeon) to get a long rest. Not quite gritty realism variant, but approaching it.

So for travel and exploration, the search for a rare cave or other place for a good long rest is paramount. Otherwise, you’re working with gritty realism’s overnight short rests.

To make this work on “dungeon exploration” scale, I want to count overnighting in the dungeon as a long rest (easily enough done by saying it’s a good shelter if they secure it properly), but I also want to re-enable the standard short rest rules without making it strictly location-based.

To this end, what if there were items that enabled a short rest to be compressed into an hour? Maybe dwarven ale lets a dwarf get a full short rest in one hour. A lemba lets an elf do so. Humans need their coffee. Or maybe there’s just a special potion or ration for it. Something priced more like a med kit than usual rations to make them nontrivial expenses.

I do kind-of like the idea of each race or even culture having their own “thing” for it, but a universal one or having them just be fluff for the same mechanical item could work, too.

Thoughts are invited. Anything that could refine this, or any glaring problems with it?
    I gave my players a tapestry that I sort of stole from the Vondish Ambassador: it's normally the size of a postage stamp, but when you put it on a wall, it expands to the size of a normal tapestry and then you can step into it. You can get a whole hour's worth of rest in an eyeblink, and then the tapestry spits you back out and won't function again that day.

(I handwaved the issue of how to make multiple creatures step in during the same eyeblink.)

Naturally, they forgot to use the tapestry at all. But it was there. :)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I'm missing something somewhere. If you're taking an hour to rest anyway to get the short rest and resting for the night to get the long rest, that's how it works normally so what's the point of having magical food to give you rests? There always a chance to have a random encounter during normal rests if the DM wants them via normal rules. I'm not seeing what's different.
    My take on things doesn't use magical food, and replaces the normal short/long rest structure.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Since this was my idea, I guess I should chime in.

The main reason I had experimented with this was for an adventure where the party would be trying to reach a remote location in the middle of winter in a timely manner. They had dogsleds that would carry all the gear they needed to make the journey + supplies they needed once they reached the destination.

Along the way things would start going wrong, dogs might get killed for example and the remaining ones might not be strong enough to carry all the gear without slowing down to an unacceptable speed. So the PCs would have to discard gear and depending what they discarded and how they did with the survival skill checks they would potentially be hurting by the time they arrived at their destination for the climatic battle.

The basic idea was the party would a surival check(s) to see if they could get a good enough campsite to rest.
    I had started to create rules for all the different gear which could help. So for example, if they had shovels and could dig out your campsite a bit that would lower the DC and make it more likely to get a proper night's rest. Similarly lack of a bedroll would make it extremely difficult to get the proper rest. You needed a fire to stay warm, but if you didn't find a shelter that blocked the light or took some precautions it would attract random encounters at night. But in the end there was so much gear and so many modifiers that it was becoming cumbersome so I gave up and simply arbitrarily decided on the DC it would take to get a proper shelter for a long rest based on what the PCs did and what gear they had at their disposal.

I had made it so there was no 1hr short rests, in large part because I wanted failing to find a shelter to be punishing (no short rest). This was to encourage that decision of, we haven't found anything yet, do we press on and risk exhaustion but potentially get to at least rest? Or we've found something that gets us a short/long rest but it's still early in the day, do we stop and risk not reaching our destination in time or push our luck, press on and possibly lose out on our long/short rest opportunity?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

For the outlander background, one way to read it is that the "provided that the land offers ..." portion means you still have to roll to succeed your survival check since the survival check in part determines if the land offers that sort of stuff. With this interpretation it means that what it actually does is replace feeding 1d6+Wis thing from foraging and replaces it with a flat 6.

Another interpretation is that the ability can't be used while travelling since it doesn't actually mention the foraging rules at all or the time needed to find the food. So with this interpretation the Outlander can live off the land but is basically spending the whole day hunting and so hasn't actually travelled anywhere. So as an example, you've setup a hunting trap to catch some food, but that means circling back to the traps location which means no travel. Or you have setup a hunter's perch near a game trail and then have to wait 4-6 for the deer to come along that you can then kill and feed 6 people.

At the end of the day, if everyone is on board with playing a survivalist style game you have to modify ban a lot of the magic. Even something like a bag of holding shouldn't be available in this type of game.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the idea as I see it is this:

"Camping" is 8 hours of rest (4 hours, if you're an elf) in "the wilderness" and gives the benefits of a Short Rest.

"Resting" requires a good, secure shelter, such as one finds in civilization or by strongly securing a cave or area of a dungeon, and takes 8 hours (4, if an elf) to grant the benefits of a Long Rest.

Consuming some expensive-enough-not-to-be-trivial supplies grants the benefits of a Short Rest with an hour to enjoy them, according to the standard 5e rules for Short Resting.

Leomund's tiny hut is an interesting question and problem, yes. It would seemingly immediately re-enable Resting (for a Long Rest's benefit) anywhere.
    Leomund's tiny hut still means sleeping in bedroll on likely very hard ground/rocks. And I doubt bedrolls were all that comfortable compared to today's standards. So you could make a case to be made that you don't get a long rest even with Leomund's Tiny Hut, but personally I'd just up the spell level.

I'm tempted by a situation where you never recover hit points from a long rest and basically always have to use hit dice or magic to recover HP. Then simply adjust how many hit dice you get from a long rest based on how good the campsite is. So in this case, with something like Leomunds, instead of getting half your hit die back maybe you only get a quarter, and out in the wilderness without a shelter you maybe get a max of 1 hit die back. My only concern here is that in actual gameplay I think it will force the healer(s) to conserve their spell slots to heal people at the end of each day since they recover spells so might as well use them all.