New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Superman Vs. Homelander

Guys, I found the lost footage of the Cell Games!

Also, yes, Superman would destroy Homelander no contest.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2020-10-26 at 10:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    That was the funniest joke that I ever heard. You should be a stand-up comedian.

Can we please just get back into the topic now?
    The issue is, there really isn't anything else to say on the topic. It's been resolved.

And honestly, it was a very funny joke. It's okay to say that you just missed it. It's the Internet, we all miss things from time to time.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Sure. Superman wins. What else would you like to talk about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    And honestly, it was a very funny joke.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-26 at 10:56 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    The issue is, there isn't anything else to say on the topic. It's been resolved.

And honestly, it was a very funny joke. It's okay to say that you just missed it. It's the Internet, we all miss things from time to time.
    Well, I'm sorry if I missed the joke. I'm just a serious guy who needs a laugh now and then
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    That documentary was amazing! Also, let's not forget the time that Goku got the Satan Punch treatment.

ETA: Any DragonBall game where you cannot play as Hercule is a failure of a game.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-26 at 11:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Honestly, it's probably even more lopsided than Goku vs. Hercule- Hercule could... at least theoretically... have some potential to hurt Goku, no matter how remote. Homelander, unless he learns magic or gets dipped in Kryptonite or something, would have about as much chance of hurting Superman as a bug would of... hurting Superman.

And even if Homelander got his hands on lots and lots of Kryptonite, Superman has successfully beaten a guy that was made of the stuff, so, uhm...

Yeah. No contest.
    If we're talking the strongest version of Superman vs Homelander then yeah it's not even worth discussing. Homelander is a middling powerhouse who happens to be impressive by mortal standards, sure. But Superman is strong enough to punch the universe into retconning, fast enough to escape the gravitational pull of a black hole, and tough enough to take a nuke to the face without much problem even in some of his weaker incarnations.

...but if we're talking "more powerful than a locomotive, faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" Superman, that's probably more of a fair fight? And sure that's probably not what OP meant, but also Superman has lost battles on occasion when by all accounts he shouldn't have even been inconvenienced.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    If we're talking the strongest version of Superman vs Homelander then yeah it's not even worth discussing. Homelander is a middling powerhouse who happens to be impressive by mortal standards, sure. But Superman is strong enough to punch the universe into retconning, fast enough to escape the gravitational pull of a black hole, and tough enough to take a nuke to the face without much problem even in some of his weaker incarnations.

...but if we're talking "more powerful than a locomotive, faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" Superman, that's probably more of a fair fight? And sure that's probably not what OP meant, but also Superman has lost battles on occasion when by all accounts he shouldn't have even been inconvenienced.
    Oof, yeah, steel should be nothing for him.

Also, there's a reason why Silver Age DC produced the best comics ever and you will never convince me otherwise.
    Spoiler: I love Superman
    Show

Spoiler: I love Lois Lane
    Show

Spoiler: I love Jimmy Olsen
    Show

Spoiler: I even love Batman
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That documentary was amazing! Also, let's not forget the time that Goku got the Satan Punch treatment.

ETA: Any DragonBall game where you cannot play as Hercule is a failure of a game.
    You call that a punch?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

You call that a punch?
    I mean, it knocked him over the crowd, and somehow changed Goku's momentum so that he grabbed the tractor thing and flew over a building.

I'd call that a punch.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I mean, it knocked him over the crowd, and somehow changed Goku's momentum so that he grabbed the tractor thing and flew over a building.

I'd call that a punch.
    I'll admit that grabbing a tractor after the punch was funny.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I think you underestimate the power of Hercule, Champion of the World. He did save the universe, after all.
    Actually, Hercule kinda did help save the universe, since without him Buu would have never been defeated. Remember, he helped reform Fat Buu and convinced the people of Earth to give up energy for the Spirit Bomb.

“Wait, couldn’t Beerus have defeated Buu”? Sure, if he woke up before Buu killed the Supreme Kai. Otherwise, Buu would have continued his rampage.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-10-27 at 12:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Actually, Hercule kinda did help save the universe, since without him Buu would have never been defeated. Remember, he helped reform Fat Buu and convinced the people of Earth to give up energy for the Spirit Bomb.

“Wait, couldn’t Beerus have defeated Buu”? Sure, if he woke up before Buu killed the Supreme Kai. Otherwise, Buu would have continued his rampage.
    Yes, that was the reference.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly what Superman villains would I find the most enjoyable beating up Homelander should be the question.

Currently I am thinking I would enjoy Mongrel doing it the most!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, thinking about it the real question is: what ludicrous "upgrades" does Lex Luthor manipulate Homelander into demanding after Superman beats him the first time? Does he become the next Metallo?
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

That was the funniest joke that I ever heard. You should be a stand-up comedian.

I for one found the whole exchange hilarious.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Probably the funniest Superman villain I can imagine squishing Homelander like the psychotic bug he is would be Maxima.

"How dare you lay hand on the mate I have selected!" *Telekinetic beatdown* *Homelander's Head Asplode* (seriously, Maxima is an immensely powerful telepath. Somebody with as many loose screws as Homelander would come apart like a spun sugar castle under a firehose)

Brainiac would be fun too, just because of how incredibly dismissive he'd be. Luthor too, for that matter.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Brainiac would be fun too, just because of how incredibly dismissive he'd be. Luthor too, for that matter.
    Indeed. Hm. Lex Luthor Vs. Every superman Expy. Thats a fight/scenario I'd like to see. Just see how many of them fare against trying to defeat a man whose devoted his entire life to outwitting the real thing. because none of them are as powerful or as familiar with his tricks, and I'd wager many of them have similar problems with Luthor doing the "so rich his lawyers are an impenetrable legal shield" thing.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #48
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Indeed. Hm. Lex Luthor Vs. Every superman Expy. Thats a fight/scenario I'd like to see. Just see how many of them fare against trying to defeat a man whose devoted his entire life to outwitting the real thing. because none of them are as powerful or as familiar with his tricks, and I'd wager many of them have similar problems with Luthor doing the "so rich his lawyers are an impenetrable legal shield" thing.
    Gonna be honest: I don't think a lot of them would care about Lex's lawyers.

The thing about Superman Expies is that they're never as moral as Superman.

And even Clark has contemplated just up and murdering Lex.

Like, not even a bad future thing.

There was one arc durig the time where Lex was president where something something involving a Kypronite Meteor and d Lex actively screwing people over.

Bruce and Clark confront him and the whole time he's boasting that they don't have what it takes to do anything major about him.

Meanwhile Clark is thinking about something Pa Kent told him: Sometimes the only way to protect the hen house is to kill the fox.

And Bruce? Bruce is doing the math in his head. The Joker is really only a threat to one town, and despite his reputation doesn't really kill that many people*. The Joker is also, legitimately, mentally ill so whether or not he's responsible for his actions is questionable. Lex, meanwhile, is a threat to the entire planet and is directly or indirectly responsible for more suffering in a day that the Joker has been... Ever. And he does this all of his own free will while in his right mind.

So then Batman turns to Superman and says something along the lines of "If you want to kill him, I won't stop you. I can cover it up."

So, Homelander? Probably just kill Lex. Plutonian probably already killed. Dr. Manhattan, Alan Moore's cynical attempt o explain that someone with godlike power couldn't possibly relate to people who don't, the only reason he wouldn't have killed Lex is becuase he saw himself not killing Lex.

Even Superman Expies that aren't actively trying to deconstruct his archetype... Like, Currently, Carol Danvers/Captain MAarvel is being pushed as Marvel's "Answer" to Superman. Carol's an air force colonel who has worked all her life to achieve something meaningful in a world dominated by people like Lex. (If you ignore that she's way to0 young to have earned her military rank legitimately cough cough.) She has no qualms with killing if it needs to be done. She was a pro-reg in the first Civil War and was basically the bad guy in Civil War II so she has no problems with breaking the law or violating people's rights if she finds it to be for the greater good. If she can't bring him in legally, she may well just break his neck and use her own connections to get away with it.

Or toss him into the sun. That's a thing she does sometimes.

*Which does check out by the way. Adding all of the "main" timelines confirmed Joker kills on average across his nearly eighty-ish year career kills on average less than 40 people a year, which in a city like Gotham which is consistently described as "Chicago at it's worst" isn't even a statistic.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I kind of eliminate Dr. Manhattan as a viable combatant from any Versus discussion just on general principle, because due to how he perceives time there is no room for uncertainty of what actions he or anyone he perceives he will take, thus he is a walking fate-person that could arbitrarily win or lose simply because that is what the story requires him to do.

the rest don't have his fate-bound perception of time, don't who Lex is or if they would even be fighting him. I'm of the different opinion that these less moral superpeople could be easily convinced to turn against one another and see each other as the bigger threats, not used to perceiving a seemingly normal man as an archenemy. 10th level intellect is nothing to sneeze at, and no one you list has any equivalence to that kind of intelligence in their universe.

The Plutonian is probably the biggest threat of what you listed, sure, but your only talking about a very few of the many superman expies out there. I'd try to get more in, have Lex Luthor exploit their various issues to fight each other so he can buy time to prepare against the survivors make it a "which remaining superman expy will face Lex?" kind of story.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #50

Its kind of funny that homelander is basically "Superman, but nuts, and like, a trillionth as strong in every measurable way" Homelander can turn crowds of people into ash, superman has heat visioned an entire planet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homelander is pretty strong, superman can tow a solar system. https://pm1.narvii.com/6429/32e22318...7c89f1f_hq.jpg

Im aware they are different continuities but OP never established which one to use.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Even leaving aside powers for the second Superman has lived fighting challenging opponents most of his life. Homelander has spent his time smiling for the camera's. He has no moves Superman won't have seen before and already beaten
    Totally agree. Even if for some strange reason Superman isn't more powerful, he has a LOT more experience in combat. He has strategies and tactics that Homelander hasn't even dreamed of. Heck, even if Sups was depowered to the point Homelander was significantly stronger I would still give it to Sups just because he is much stronger emotionally and mentally than Homelander. If Homelander even felt extreme pain there is really nothing to stop him from curling up into a ball and drying like a baby since he never had to deal with it before. On the other hand Superman would just power through it without slowing down very much if at all. I think the much less powerful Spider Man could wipe the floor with Homelander with the only real fighting being while Peter figures out some way to really hurt Homelander (and he would).

Probably the funniest Superman villain I can imagine squishing Homelander like the psychotic bug he is would be Maxima.

"How dare you lay hand on the mate I have selected!" *Telekinetic beatdown* *Homelander's Head Asplode* (seriously, Maxima is an immensely powerful telepath. Somebody with as many loose screws as Homelander would come apart like a spun sugar castle under a firehose)
    When I first read this I though you were talking about Maxima from the Grrl Power webcomic. Though I think she would also wipe the floor with Homelander. Just more violently.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2020-10-27 at 07:50 AM.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Homelander is pretty strong, superman can tow a solar system. https://pm1.narvii.com/6429/32e22318...7c89f1f_hq.jpg
    That's just hilarious

23. - Top - End - #53

He's kind of holding back on his powers there, though.
    Spoiler:
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

He's kind of holding back on his powers there, though.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Yep, he can fly fast enough to reach a long dead galaxy before his need to sneeze overpowers him. And then said sneeze destroys the entire place. Silver age superman is hilariously bananas. In perhaps SLIGHTLY less absurd terms, Im pretty sure the current incarnation of superman was able to bench press the weight of a planet for three days straight without stopping. At least i think thats the current version of supes, there might have been yet another reboot since then. Bottom line, homelander is a scrub compared to dc comic heroes. He is godlike to a civilian populace with no powers of their own, but against the dc stage he is second class at best. He isnt even top tier in the mcu which generally is far lower on the list than dc.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

The people in the DBZ world are not real. They cannot go to YouTube and watch DragonBall Z episodes. For the people in that world, there is no show called Dragon Ball Z. It doesn't exist.

((Snip))

So, I was portraying the viewpoint of someone in this fictional world. Not the real world. The fictional DBZ world. You could not show someone in the DBZ world a DBZ video, because that doesn't exist in their world.

In this fictional DBZ world, as far as they know, Hercule defeated Cell. They know this because, in this fictional world, where they cannot watch DBZ clips on youtube, they were toild that Hercule defeated Cell. By Hercule. After Cell was defeated.
    I don't know about that, this certainly looks like a valid accounting of events in the DBZ world - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4Fa9OY2nmM

Edit - To be clear, specifically addressing the presence/absence of media covering the events of DBZ in DBZ, it's obvious that Hercule won, after all.

Edit the second - I'm saddened to realise my reading comprehension has failed me and that I was beaten to this joke by Mystic Muse.
    Last edited by Comissar; 2020-10-27 at 07:27 PM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, Summer Rose, and Firebrand by me

26. - Top - End - #56
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yep, he can fly fast enough to reach a long dead galaxy before his need to sneeze overpowers him. And then said sneeze destroys the entire place. Silver age superman is hilariously bananas. In perhaps SLIGHTLY less absurd terms, Im pretty sure the current incarnation of superman was able to bench press the weight of a planet for three days straight without stopping. At least i think thats the current version of supes, there might have been yet another reboot since then. Bottom line, homelander is a scrub compared to dc comic heroes. He is godlike to a civilian populace with no powers of their own, but against the dc stage he is second class at best. He isnt even top tier in the mcu which generally is far lower on the list than dc.
    Heh. Homelander vs. the Hulk would be fun to watch.

Bruce Banner: "You think you have mental issues? Mine are externalized, green, and break worlds."

That being said, I've been trying to think of who would be an even fight vs. Homelander, and I'm honestly having trouble. According to the VS. Battles Wiki, by feats, Homelander is significantly weaker than Plastic Man. And yeah, I know, it's hardly an authoritative source, but it's a useful listing of feats, if nothing else.

... bloody hell, he's got less impressive feats than Killer Croc. Yeah, Homelander's not even second string in the DCU. Admittedly, a lot of that is probably because he's in a universe that's much, much lower power overall (quite frankly, the Boys has always struck me as "The Punisher kills the DC Universe."), so it's hard to gauge his feats since he doesn't have comparable foes to demonstrate against, but even so...

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    When I first read this I though you were talking about Maxima from the Grrl Power webcomic. Though I think she would also wipe the floor with Homelander. Just more violently.
    Agreed that Grrl Power Maxima would annihilate Homelander, but I'm not sure she'd do it more violently than DC Maxima- DC Max is a planetary monarch with very little regard for the lives of those who cross her and powers that let her give Superman a solid fight. GP Max is immensely powerful, but I don't think she can quite hang at the Superman tier, and in her current role she doesn't exactly have a license to kill.

... although I sincerely doubt that Homelander would enjoy the experience either way.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Assuming approximately even power levels, Superman would win due to being more stable and less prone to mental breakdowns/arrogance, as well as being a more experienced fighter, as others have mentioned.

Really, it's not a question of IF Superman would win in my mind, but of how much damage Homelander would do before Superman stopped holding back and started beating him into a pulp.

Also... for the mention of Batman "doing the math" on how many people The Joker killed, it's not that. It's Batman's No Kill policy combined with the fecklessness of the Gotham City Justice System being unwilling to put The Joker on death row for mass murder with witnesses and repeat offenses with witnesses.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Hariman View Post
    Also... for the mention of Batman "doing the math" on how many people The Joker killed, it's not that. It's Batman's No Kill policy combined with the fecklessness of the Gotham City Justice System being unwilling to put The Joker on death row for mass murder with witnesses and repeat offenses with witnesses.
    That's not what was being referred to.

There was a scene in the comics where Batman justifies to himself that it may be necessary for Superman to kill Lex Luthor by pointing out that Lex is a far bigger threat to far more people who does much, much more harm than even the Joker, then says to Clark something along the lines of "I won't stop you if you want to kill him."

Doing the math was something I did a few months ago, and the math supports the idea that, in the grand scheme of things, the Joker isn't a big deal.

All of the "main timeline" jokers, golden age, silver age, post crisis, and New 52 collectively have a body count of 616 confirmed kills.

The Joker first appeared in 1940.

So, the Joker's average body count, per year, is 7.7. I actually misremembered my own math and thought it was much higher than that.

If you account for the fact that there are canonically three jokers, it becomes just over two people a year on average.

For comparison, 65.8 people per year die from car accidents in Chicago(and Gotham is typically based on Chicago.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    If you account for the fact that there are canonically three jokers, it becomes just over two people a year on average.
    What is happening with that? I only heard bad things so far (please use spoilers since it is new comics for other people, but I am really curious.)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

30. - Top - End - #60

Gotham is usually based on New York or Chicago ("Gotham" is an unofficial old name for NYC). Also, Joker's body count would be significantly higher if Batman didn't stop him constantly, so the low kill count says more about Batman's efficacy over Superman's with LL, I'd argue.

Also, if Batman says that, just make him pull the trigger. That's a cheap cop out of his "no kill" rule.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-27 at 10:57 PM.