New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Twin Spell and Illusions

Simple question, could you use Twin Spell along side Minor Illusion, Silent Image or Major Image?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Twin Spell and Illusions

No for all of those options - none of them target creatures, much less a single creature specifically.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

You COULD use it for phantasmal force, though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Fair enough. Never hurts to double check these things.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm, a more interesting question is, could you target a Twinned spell (say, Firebolt) at an illusion that appeared to be a creature? Twinned has such strict requirements (honestly, for the edition that labels itself as simple, Twinned is anything but) that if JC is to be believed it makes it so that a spell that is cast on a single creature can't be Twinned (Dragon's Breath) - so what happens when the target is not actually a creature but an illusion?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeryan View Post
    Hmm, a more interesting question is, could you target a Twinned spell (say, Firebolt) at an illusion that appeared to be a creature? Twinned has such strict requirements (honestly, for the edition that labels itself as simple, Twinned is anything but) that if JC is to be believed it makes it so that a spell that is cast on a single creature can't be Twinned (Dragon's Breath) - so what happens when the target is not actually a creature but an illusion?
    Silent Image and Major image state: You create the image of an object, a creature, or some other visible phenomenon

Since it is an image of a creature, in my opinion targeting it works just like targeting a creature normally would. So in this case, twin would go off but then if it hits you now know it is an illusion.

Minor Illusion states you create the image of an object or a sound. So Twin would fizzle, but that wouldn't necessarilly break the illusion. You'd realize the thing you were targetting was a cleverly disguised statue of a gnome and not a real gnome, for example.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by jojosskul View Post
    Silent Image and Major image state: You create the image of an object, a creature, or some other visible phenomenon

Since it is an image of a creature, in my opinion targeting it works just like targeting a creature normally would. So in this case, twin would go off but then if it hits you now know it is an illusion.

Minor Illusion states you create the image of an object or a sound. So Twin would fizzle, but that wouldn't necessarilly break the illusion. You'd realize the thing you were targetting was a cleverly disguised statue of a gnome and not a real gnome, for example.
    The image of a creature (or, indeed, anything else) is an effect, not a target, of the spell.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    The image of a creature (or, indeed, anything else) is an effect, not a target, of the spell.
    On further though I'll concede that, but it can still be targeted. The target is just, by it's nature, invalid. I did some digging and there's a technically optional rule in Xanathar's that I think clears this up.

Pg 85 - 56

"If you cast a spell on someone or something that can’t be affected by the spell, nothing happens to that target, but if you used a spell slot to cast the spell, the slot is still expended. If the spell normally has no effect on a target that succeeds on a saving throw, the invalid target appears to have succeeded on its saving throw, even though it didn’t attempt one (giving no hint that the creature is in fact an invalid target). Otherwise, you perceive that the spell did nothing to the target."

Based on this, you'd use twin, one of your two targets would be an invalid target but the twin would still go off. The firebolt would go through the illusion and potentially hit the real target, and the sorcery point is still expended. If the spell was say, Toll the Dead, it would just seem like the second target had auto saved on their saving throw.

It's not something you'd have to use in your game since it's an "optional" rule, but I think it clears up a lot of the ambiguity.

But you're right, an image of something doesn't make it actually that thing, so it's an invalid target. I was wrong on that bit. But the chain of events using this rule would still have the spell occur.
    Last edited by jojosskul; 2020-10-30 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Clarified the bit I was wrong on

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Just in case it was unclear, the post you quoted was talking about targetting the image with one part of a different spell to be twinned, not trying to twin the illusion.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    Just in case it was unclear, the post you quoted was talking about targetting the image with one part of a different spell to be twinned, not trying to twin the illusion.
    Oh! I did misunderstand, then. My apologies.