New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Serious Plots 9: Srsr and srsr

Codebreaker's Home

"Those assets being...?" Codebreaker continues to be unimpressed.
    "I dunno, considering you heard this conversation and recorded responses before it happened why didn't you just send me a memo telling me not to get involved, huh? Or better yet, just block her from reporting in. Sounds like you could solve this problem yourself really easily, Miss Illuminati."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Codebreaker's Home]

The next page features a basic schematic of the chrome boxes Codebreaker saw, but failed to seize, back in the warehouse. The lines are a little off, as Owena is not a terrific artist, but they're still recognizable.

Their Hotboxes. Portable matter synthesis devices. One of these reduces their logistical concerns to practically nothing. Hana is currently on the run with both of them. With any luck, she'll have another base finished and ready to go by this time tomorrow.

As for solving this myself... again, my resources, most importantly time, are not infinite. I did not know you were involved until it was too late to stop them on my own. Similarly, I can't thwart every problem here in the Nexus and back on my worlds personally; there simply aren't enough hours in the day. And if I could, I would not be risking a loose end by contacting you.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Codebreaker's Home

CB shakes his head.
    "That isn't possible. The two officers were communicating when we got there. I saw them when I got in." Of course he didn't notice they were gone later...
    "Hana only escaped a little later, while we were getting the hostages out of there. She couldn't have gotten there before the whole swarm of officers descended on the place. Whoever took them wasn't Hana."

4. - Top - End - #1024

[Codebreaker's Home]

My attention was elsewhere when she acquired them. I do not know the details of how she came by them, only that she has them now and is putting them to good use.

As I said, I can't be everywhere at once.

The rest of the page is conspicuously empty, until the very last line on the bottom.

Are you certain you don't want my help?

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

Codebreaker's Home

CB responds by going back to his breakfast. However this lady's prediction works, it doesn't seem to include his inner thoughts. So he doesn't answer at all. Let her sweat. He's already had enough of this garbage. He's torn both in the obvious precognition she's displaying and the amazing ability to provide him with nothing actually useful, nor any evidence.

6. - Top - End - #1026

[Codebreaker's Home]

The papers, being inanimate, do not do anything in response to Codebreaker. In fact, the house remains completely silent. No phone calls, no intruders, no TV babbling in the background, no crazy teenage vampire trying to sink her teeth into Codebreaker's leg, nothing.

However, the pancakes are delicious.

After a while, it might occur to him that if this lady had precognition, then she'd already done all the sweating she was going to. Sooner or later, he'd have to give a response with a little more finality, even if that turned out to just be more silence.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

Codebreaker's Home

As it turns out the answer is in fact more silence as CB seems unconvinced. Maybe it's the fact that there was no evidence to go with this conversation. Maybe it's because Hana is kind of an idiot. But either way he doesn't seem to think he has enough to work on to flip his unnamed potential benefactor the bird or to commit to anything. So instead he simply goes about his day as normal.
    He also wonders if this means that she's having to watch him go around his house in his underwear while waiting for his response, which amuses him greatly.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Ilpholin considers for a moment before calling after the bird. "Oh it is -ahh, why'd he run off?" Was that bird-man one of the King in Rags ancient servants freed from his service? She knows he has a bird thing going on and that thing was certainly creepy enough to terrify anyone.

She frowns, curls her clothes tighter around her and heads forwards towards the crack in the stone.
    The crack in the stone widens into the valley proper. It is, predictably, gloomy and shaded. And quiet, very quiet. Not even birds and rodents scurry among the thin pine trees and jagged rocks. There's no mist or fog, as may be expected - the air is clear. But the trees, rocks and shadow make for poor visibility nonetheless.

And now, something stirs in the distance. It is difficult to tell how far, due to the darkness and cramped conditions. But it is big. Ilpholin will see a suggestion of something thin and multi-limbed in the narrow spaces between the obstacles. It doesn't seem headed for her, however...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Ilpholin isn't one to enjoy the solitude, nor the quiet. It makes her uneasy. She likes noise, company, body heat. She couldn't even compare it to the Underdark, a lack of proper dampness in the air to remind her of home. She could say truly she did not like this place one bit.

The nymph spots something scurrying about and ducks behind a tree, peering out from one side and switching to thermal for a moment to see if that would give her a better visual on the thing. Or at least make it easier to track. She'd rather not get in its way. It's unlikely to be the three blind frost seers, or even one of them. But she can't be certain of anything at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

When Ilpholin observes the creature, it appears to be a long body ending with a toothy maw, suspended between eight long, thick legs. It's enormous, easily larger than a moose, and its body temperature is noticeably lower than it should be. It doesn't appear to have noticed her, either. It seems to be on the prowl, catching and devouring a large group of rabbits. The small animals scatter in every direction, trying to outrun the predator, but their success is limited. It might be possible to slip by unnoticed while it's distracted by its hunt, though it's hard to say how perceptive it is otherwise.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-09-27 at 05:04 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Ilpholin sticks with regular vision then, ignoring heat vision. While she was confident in the training the Underdark gave her in sneaking, the perceptions of humanoids and creatures that sensed pure vibrations were different. And it was likely that this creature leaned towards that method. Or did it hunt based on heat, seeing its own low signature? Either way, she doubt she could actually just sneak by this creature the normal way. If she were one of the drow assassin elite perhaps, or their rangers. But her skills didn't stretch that far.

Fortunately the thing doesn't seem to have noticed her yet. That left a few options. She could try to climb the tree and jump from tree to tree, but it's hard to say if she could make those leaps and it could be too noisy regardless.

She'll opt for a different approach. It's perhaps the most boring one too. Wait until it leaves. She takes a slow, deep breath and stills her movements. A chill runs through her body as coolant is used to lower her natural body temperature considerably. Soon she stops breathing entirely as she becomes more akin to the mannequins found in stores than a person. Still, cold, and hidden, as Ilpholin attempts to wait for the creature to hopefully pursue a small animal off into the distance.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

The monster continues not to notice Ilpholin. Whatever senses it uses to detect its prey - there are two large, pitch-black eyes above the toothy maw and four twitching nostrils - are fooled by her stillness. As luck would have it, though, it seems uninterested in moving away. It lowers its central body down on the ground, folds its legs around itself and starts dining on the bits of rabbit that are left scattered around the place.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Well that's unfortunate. No one ever said waiting was fun though. Ilpholin lets herself heat back up a bit. It's not good to stay that cold for too long. It's a slower process getting warmer sadly. Especially since she's continuing to stay still and not generating any heat by moving. Either the creature will finish its meal and move on someplace else or finish and go to sleep or something. She's going to stick around long enough to see which of the two it is at least. She hasn't started cramping up yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Ilpholin will be in for a wait, as the creature seems to be in no hurry. However, her patience will pay off in time. After devouring every scrap of flesh left over, the strange spider-like being rises again on its thin feet and stalks off in search of other prey or something else. The nymph will be free to proceed as silence falls once more.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Ilpholin waits a few more minutes to ensure its departure before breathing again. She takes a moment just to get herself back up to factory fresh, rubbing her arms for heat and taking painfully measured breaths. Finally she resumes her journey, one step after the other, building up speed. She's not going to outright run, but she is going to hurry. It's pretty likely this whole area was whatever that thing was' hunting grounds and therefore its 'territory'. Best to get through it quickly in case it's feeling territorial.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

16. - Top - End - #1036

[New Snake Dreams]

Artie finds herself dreaming strangely once more as she recalls herself being in Vez's 'office' again. The serpent somehow giving her a smile that she understands as "apologetic" despite snakes not really being equipped for smiling, or looking apologetic for that matter.

"Artie, I bid you welcome and apologize to have summoned you here so spontaneously. Understand that this is highly irregular but it was agreed by the sub-council that the offer should at least be giving to you considering your... unique position."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-10-02 at 03:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

New Snake Dreams

Artie blinks and glances out at her surroundings.
    "Oh, a subcouncil?" She didn't even know they had one of those.
    "What sort of offer, Administrator?" she asks Vez.

18. - Top - End - #1038

New Snake Dreams

"It's for smaller decisions in specific departments, such as mine, that wouldn't make sense bringing up to a vote in the court itself." Vez explains before gesturing besides Artie with one of his tails.

As Artie looks where he's gesturing something strange happens.

As she looked around Vex office nothing seemed to have changed. Still very much missing a ceiling as instead of lamp the never setting sun in the sky seemed to act as a light and heat source. The office all being made of stone.

However, now there's suddenly one of those round cupola-like chairs right besides hers that definitely wasn't there before and it's also filled with at least a dozen snakes of various species. Notebly, these snakes are all covered in various amounts of bandages and some even have little crutches laying next to them.

Artie will, through her predeccessors memories, realize that the snakes aren't literary covered in bandages or would have the need of crutches of all things. This is just how the aether is representing that they're wounded in a way she would understand visually. It might be a bit on the nose but the aether is rarely subtle.

The snakes seem irritated at best and let's out small annoyed hisses as she's looking at them.

"These are Binding of Baphoreth and they've been, in their own words, assulted by 'some kind of hoofed monster' while in the line of duty and were forced to abandon their charge.
    This is a fairly major breach of Law and would normally necessicitate a much stronger response but as we are in the nexus our means of enforcement are fairly limited.
    Normally, we'd go the the court of angels for this sort of thing but they're just as helpless as us in this case as neither of us has established ways to enforce Law in other realities."
    Vez now gestures towards her.

"This is where you come in. You are actually our only member that's physically manifested within the nexus so the sub-council wanted to offer you the chance to parley with the Law Breakers.
    To make sure they understand why this Law was in place in the first place and why it would be in everyone's best interest if it remained so.
    However, this would require you to learn information that's been deemed to be dangerous for mortals to learn so it's quite a responsibility."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-10-03 at 05:16 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

New Snake Dreams

Artie would have to beware this place were she in her own body with its instincts. A stone place like this under the sun would have her brain shouting to stretch out and warm up.
    But tonight there are more serious matters to attend to. This is her chance to prove herself to the Court! She has to earn some respect somehow to make up for her dubious origins.
    ”Of course, Administrator. I am not a mortal anymore. You can trust me with this information.” she insists, trying not to stare at the snakes.
    She’s not sure she’s a very good negotiator but she has to try. A hooved monster? Something they wouldn’t recognize. Maybe a centaur? Or something more odd and magic, like a unicorn.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Ilpholin waits a few more minutes to ensure its departure before breathing again. She takes a moment just to get herself back up to factory fresh, rubbing her arms for heat and taking painfully measured breaths. Finally she resumes her journey, one step after the other, building up speed. She's not going to outright run, but she is going to hurry. It's pretty likely this whole area was whatever that thing was' hunting grounds and therefore its 'territory'. Best to get through it quickly in case it's feeling territorial.
    Ilpholin leaves the monster behind as she heads deeper into the valley. The terrain around her doesn't change, nor does it get any brighter. However, she might feel she's once again not alone. Through the trees, she'll spot... a small hut or cottage? A strange place for one, to be sure. Someone is standing in front of it, as well. Depending on how clear her vision is in the gloom, she might see that this person has purple skin, horns and a tail, and their eyes are vivid red. They're dressed in warm furs and call out:

"Someone there?"

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Ilpholin's pretty good at compensating her eyes for different situations, but fog is still fog. It's still a physical obstruction.

It's also fun to step out of. The Phyrexian nymph strides forward, into view. Closer. She had to see what kind of tail this creature possesses. What kind of horns. And whether or not the silver in her reacted to their presence. There were some fey that had similarities to demons. Not many, admittedly. The question was whether this was a fey of the court or... something else with a shorter life span.

"I am. I seek the Three Blind Frost-Seers."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

22. - Top - End - #1042

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    New Snake Dreams

Artie would have to beware this place were she in her own body with its instincts. A stone place like this under the sun would have her brain shouting to stretch out and warm up.
    But tonight there are more serious matters to attend to. This is her chance to prove herself to the Court! She has to earn some respect somehow to make up for her dubious origins.
    ”Of course, Administrator. I am not a mortal anymore. You can trust me with this information.” she insists, trying not to stare at the snakes.
    She’s not sure she’s a very good negotiator but she has to try. A hooved monster? Something they wouldn’t recognize. Maybe a centaur? Or something more odd and magic, like a unicorn.
    New Snake Dreams

Vez nods. "As you wish, though do be aware that by giving you access to these memories I would do more than just telling you them. You will actually experience the memories as they are known by the court. Since you were once mortal that might feel... I've heard previous fey in your position describe it as 'raw' and 'intense'. I'm telling you this so you're ready for what I'm about to do."

One of his tails then pulls a small black key out of somewhere and holds it out towards her but pauses as if he's reconsidering something. "Actually, now that I think about it, you might feel more comfortable if you do this yourself. Please take this key and insert it into your forehead and turn it as if you were unlocking a lock. You won't feel a thing until you actually turn it."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-10-04 at 12:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

New Snake Dreams

This request would sound far stranger if she wasn't talking to a serpent with an inordinate amount of tails while in a dream a month after becoming mostly snake herself and sprouting wings.
    She just chalks it up to dream logic (and visual metaphors) and tentatively does as Vez asks of her, though she is preparing herself for the worst. Raw and intense? Is she about to relive a murder or something? This is sounding all very big for her first assignment...

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Upon closer inspection, the being appears much as they - or he, as Ilpholin can see now - appeared at first glance. Purple skin, horns, hooves, a forked tail. Powerful muscles hidden under a thick fur coat, and a horse-like face full of jagged teeth. The eyes are vivid and red, like hot coals.

"They live deeper within the valley," he says. "I don't really see them often and only from a distance. They seem to tolerate my presence here and leave me in peace, which is enough."

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"I see. So what brings a demon to live out in the cold of nowhere?" Ilpholin asks, stepping forward a little, keeping her stance and pose friendly, a disarming sway in her hips.

There's one last thing she wishes to check, a filter flicking over her eyes to pierce through illusions. She's close to fey territory. The possibility of this being some kind of fey trick or test is not insignificant. Especially since a little bird got away to tell the Three Blind Frost-Seers she was coming.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #1046

The preteen nods, to prove that she knows the answer to this. "If someone puts it on, they'll turn into me but as a dragon. I mean, you'll still be you but it's like you'll be inside me but not me-me but just my dragon shape, and I'll still be me-me but won't be able to turn into dragon-me. Definitely wouldn't recommend it because then you'll be allergic to yourself." Probably would quickly get sick from autoimmune reasons, she thinks. Like maybe Ein's throat would swell shut and then suffocate.

Well, anyway: time for her to go.

She gets up,
    starts running,
    and while running puts her dragon jacket on the rest of the way, turning into a dragon in flight.

The pseudodragon moths stare down the mantis. It's definitely intimidating enough that they're not willing to immediately attack, but...they can't let the mantis act freely, either. So it stands in a way to try to restrict the mantis's movements.

This doesn't last long, however, since some of the other (farther away) pseudodragons (which were scared away earlier by the other hive members) start making a commotion. This alerts the one next to the mantis.
    See,
    An actual dragon is showing up.
    And they still remember what happened the last time this dragon showed up. Last time, they weren't cautious enough around Mindy, and now their only choice is to overcorrect and never make that mistake again. Feeling that the mantis isn't an immediate danger to its young, the moth gets distracted.

In fewer words,
    the mantis now has an opening to...well, do whatever it wants. Flee, attack, prepare, or whatever.

The bulky demon tries to explain how literally everything has some kind of inherent energy to it, and that it just had a really easy time pulling it out of gold due to the biological connection to his ancestors' (admittedly, xenophobic) gods.

The electric goat gives her name and title in a way thay suggests she's nobility (...lesser nobility). She explains that her race was originally just a goat-person...or maybe part of an elemental hive-mind of destruction centered around a core, or something. Well, basically way back when, somehow these two groups managed to somehow fuse themselves, making individuals out of two and had descendants and eventually it was just individuals with traits of both. Still basically a goat-person, just with a core of elemental destruction inside her. Its energy radiates off in seven pseudopod-like energy tendrils, but because she has four limbs and one head, there's still two unaccounted for which explains the tentacle-like chest and back things. Practically, she generates electricity and can grab things with these tendrils and control them just as well as her fingers and arms...except better. She feels it's sad that her species has lost their hive-mind capabilities over time, but even so she can still sometimes feel it when emotions get really high.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "Maybe." But are they also missing their swan coat, and their seal skin, and their wolf pelt, and their whale shirt? No, it's too much. "What if someone else put on your jacket? Like if I did?"
    You would die, Ein. But maybe someone else...

"Oh, yes. Well, actually there's one left. And the ranger. But...go!"

The mantis yells its clicking yell back at the moth, but it's alone now.
    It flexes its non-symmetrical tail and flaps its wings (both together) in order to hop backwards a bit, away from the pseudo-dragon.
    Maybe it can seem both dangerous enough not to attack out of confidence, and also non-dangerous enough not to attack out of protection-of-caterpillars

As the dukes fly in and out of the area on their regular patrols, one at a time, the rescued folks are picked up and taken off in the eventual direction of their homes.

The bulky demon is met with some disbelief. Gold is just a metal, right? Like silver, but heavier and yellowier. How does it have inherent magical energy?

The electric goat is met with jubilance and celebration.
    And also, with lots of questions about herself. What's her name? What kind of creature is she? What are her hopes and dreams? How does the lightning-thing work?
    Now, if the goat expresses a desire to not talk right now, they will accept that too.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

The demon appears to have no interest in the way Ilpholin's hips move. It could be politeness, but it seems there really is no attraction there. Ilpholin's filter will briefly pierce some kind of illusion over his form. Something else is there underneath, but it's hard to tell what. The illusion is strong and reinforces itself. Though it's definitely not as potent as the mirages conjured by the King in Rags.

"Here, I can escape my nature," the demon says, by all appearances unaware of Ilpholin's scrutiny. "Alone, out in the cold, my blood doesn't burn and my flesh doesn't command me. I am content."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-10-10 at 09:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Almost certainly not a demon. This was a trap, a test, a lie. What they hope to learn, Ilpholin does not know.

"And what is your nature? Who are you really, beneath all that stoic contentment?" Ilpholin asks, her body beginning to release the pheromones of a nymph as she steps closer still, that enticing, hormonal scent that draws out the passionate instinct of others wafting off of her. If she could provoke a response first, then perhaps the true colors of this encounter would be revealed.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

"My nature is unbound chaos, the ever-shifting emotion of the body." The demon's voice is calm, his eyes peering into Ilpholin's. Her sensual scent seems to have no appeal to him and can't tease out a reaction. "I was once a small demon, blindly obeying my one and only instinct, which was to climb ever upwards, out of the bowels of the demon-realm. Once I did, I devoured some of my fellow demons and grew. Once my body was larger and more complex, I was able to feel different drives and desires. But when mortal occultists brought me to this world, I took an opportunity to escape."

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

[Frozen Angel]

Hmm. Maybe she was wrong, if this thing were truthful. It probably wasn't. Fey and demon have lies in common at least. Some more sophisticated at lying than others, bending words for their deals, but lies all the same.

"And is that why you hide your true form? Present this facade that I see?" Ilpholin confronts him on the illusion more directly. "What do you really look like?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast