New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Remastered coming soon and new Mass Effect Game in the Works

Allow me to throw how to make new games in the original Mass Effect Universe.

no ending is cannon/all ending are cannon, kind off.

No absolute color was chosen... let's say that the new cannon is Purplish Green (a joke, i know)

There will be tons of destruction (a la Destroy), some organic-synthetic fusing as a sideeffect and plot point (maybe a new race or two, instead of DNA fusing), and some kind of leftover "overseer AI" that copied Sheppard mind+star chield and got away with some reapers to dark space or some fringe in the milk way)

major decisions in ME3, you just have to make it inconsequential (and everybody love it, right?).
    - kill almost all geths (like destroy, or you if choose to support only quarians)
    - Kill almost all quarians (with unknown virus, or something, of if you choose to support only the geth)
    If you didn't broke the peace, the survivors reached an understanding after all **** hit the fan, and Rannoch is again for both.

The genophage cure, didn't last. Some new mutation on Krogan made the cure not perfect. Doesn't matter if you sabotage or not.
    Also, new krogan leadership, and Krogan rebelions 2.0: electric bugaloo. Wrex may survive or another Wrex-like cool krogan.

not saying that is good writing, just throwing it there
    if the want it, they can make all decisions moot instead of making some cannon/not cannon

2. - Top - End - #332
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Remastered coming soon and new Mass Effect Game in the Works

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Perhaps it'll be better in ME3[...]
    The Adept is much worse in 3, because Warp no longer affects barriers, so they're only effective against armor and health. Meanwhile the Engineer is doing a happy dance because Overload and Incinerate lets them destroy literally everything.

As a side note, questionable game balance implications aside, how did this change make any sense? Why are biotic barriers suddenly immune to biotic attacks but vulnerable to...electricity?
    Last edited by MinimanMidget; 2021-01-18 at 06:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MinimanMidget View Post
    As a side note, questionable game balance implications aside, how did this change make any sense? Why are biotic barriers suddenly immune to biotic attacks but vulnerable to...electricity?
    I suggest the standard answer for anything and everything to do with biotics: We want space wizards with tragic backstories, so don't think about it and get back to romancin' their trauma away.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

The Adept is much worse in 3, because Warp no longer affects barriers, so they're only effective against armor and health. Meanwhile the Engineer is doing a happy dance because Overload and Incinerate lets them destroy literally everything.
    Warp does affect barriers. Just apparently less so than overload does. Either way, biotic explosions let adepts deal a lot of damage, but their powers remain one-note and redundant. I've been ignoring shockwave and pull entirely and never once felt their absence.

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    I suggest the standard answer for anything and everything to do with biotics: We want space wizards with tragic backstories, so don't think about it and get back to romancin' their trauma away.
    I am glad that the "woe is me, people distrust me for my awesome space magic powers" theme was relatively dowplayed, especially after ME1.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-01-19 at 06:13 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

I am glad that the "woe is me, people distrust me for my awesome space magic powers" theme was relatively dowplayed, especially after ME1.
    As Joker puts it, "I break ribs if I sneeze too hard, moving things with your mind is NOT a disability!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

6. - Top - End - #336

Warp does affect barriers. Just apparently less so than overload does. Either way, biotic explosions let adepts deal a lot of damage, but their powers remain one-note and redundant. I've been ignoring shockwave and pull entirely and never once felt their absence.
    Yeah I can second this, Warp is still very effective against barriers. It does double damage to them, the catch is overload does triple damage to barriers. Why? no idea.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Spamalot in the Playground

I think you mean shields (tech), as barriers are biotic and can be warped/detonated.

With that said, you can prime shields too by using Stasis, letting Adepts shred every defense. They are much more powerful in 3 than they were in 2 due to the combo chain potential, and the ability to essentially go weaponless if you carry light weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Is Stasis really better than Warp for blowing up shields with biotic explosions? Warp doesn't do any real damage to shields, but it still sticks to the target and can be detonated.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Spamalot in the Playground

Is Stasis really better than Warp for blowing up shields with biotic explosions? Warp doesn't do any real damage to shields, but it still sticks to the target and can be detonated.
    Stasis primes multiple shielded targets at once, and also hard-CCs them (root/stun). It's fantastic against clusters of shielded enemies e.g. Geth. Warp is superior on a tough single target with shields + armor, e.g. Atlas and Prime.

I'm not saying one spell is better than the other, they both have their uses. What I am saying is that Adept Shepard in 3 is much more powerful than Adept Shepard in 2, because the enhanced combo system made spells much more useful in the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure what to think about the Omega DLC. I got it last year, after initially deciding not to buy any ME3 DLC... though I still broke that promise for Citadel. Omega isn't bad, but it's nothing special either. Just a lot of Cerberus to shoot, some new gear, a bunch of typical sidequests and a depressingly standard Paragon/Renegade decision - with the series' one and only moment where Shepard's class matters outside of combat. Nyreen is fun, even if her "shunned for biotics" routine gets old fast. But she plays off Aria decently well.

11. - Top - End - #341

I'm not sure what to think about the Omega DLC. I got it last year, after initially deciding not to buy any ME3 DLC... though I still broke that promise for Citadel. Omega isn't bad, but it's nothing special either. Just a lot of Cerberus to shoot, some new gear, a bunch of typical sidequests and a depressingly standard Paragon/Renegade decision - with the series' one and only moment where Shepard's class matters outside of combat. Nyreen is fun, even if her "shunned for biotics" routine gets old fast. But she plays off Aria decently well.
    Yeah Omega just sort of exists. Its basically just the devs going, hey here's more Mass Effect to play while we tie up a loose end we had put in place during the main game because we didn't have enough development time to actually include Omega in the base game like we originally planned.

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Yeah Omega just sort of exists. Its basically just the devs going, hey here's more Mass Effect to play while we tie up a loose end we had put in place during the main game because we didn't have enough development time to actually include Omega in the base game like we originally planned.
    On the other hand, Flare is really fun.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like there's a new trailer. Two things form the blurb caught my attention:

New Shepard Customizations: With improved hair, makeup, eye color and skin tones you can create your Shepard in a unified character creator with all options available across the full trilogy, or choose to play as the iconic Femshep from Mass Effect 3 now available in all titles.

Gameplay Enhancements for the First Mass Effect™ Game: Enjoy improved aiming and weapons balance, SFX, input/controls, squad behavior, cover behavior, and gameplay cameras.
    Both are surprising and very welcome, if they pull it off. The series' apperance customization options were never particularly great or diverse. And the gameplay enhancements should help make early game ME1 more bearable and less of a clown fiesta.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like there's a new trailer. Two things form the blurb caught my attention:

Both are surprising and very welcome, if they pull it off. The series' apperance customization options were never particularly great or diverse. And the gameplay enhancements should help make early game ME1 more bearable and less of a clown fiesta.
    Yeah, a version of ME 1 with moderately good combat would be not just my favorite entry in the series, but a game I'd actually play through again. I tried halfheartedly a couple years ago, and the clunk factor was...high.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, a version of ME 1 with moderately good combat would be not just my favorite entry in the series, but a game I'd actually play through again. I tried halfheartedly a couple years ago, and the clunk factor was...high.
    I don't know if the changes listed will be enough to make me like ME1 again, nor are they likely to replace ME3 as the best part of the series mechanics-wise. But they're more than I expected out of the remaster and worth paying attention to.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-02-02 at 01:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I know part of what had me play a black woman in Andromeda is the hair always looked horrible if it was moving.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know if the changes listed will be enough to make me like ME1 again, nor are they likely to replace ME3 as the best part of the series mechanics-wise. But they're more than I expected out of the remaster and worth paying attention to.
    I'm not that super fussed about the mechanics to be honest. Its not gonna as good a 3PS as Gears, and that's ok. Its not not like any of the ME games are, or given their RPG bits, can hit that mark. I just want something that isn't so painful it distracts from the story and universe, which is what I'm really there for.

Which is also why, no matter the mechanical improvements, I strongly suspect any ME playthrough will always end with the first game for me. I find ME 2's opening and entire concept extremely unappealing. No sense in putting up with that for a still only average shooter.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not that super fussed about the mechanics to be honest. Its not gonna as good a 3PS as Gears, and that's ok. Its not not like any of the ME games are, or given their RPG bits, can hit that mark. I just want something that isn't so painful it distracts from the story and universe, which is what I'm really there for.

Which is also why, no matter the mechanical improvements, I strongly suspect any ME playthrough will always end with the first game for me. I find ME 2's opening and entire concept extremely unappealing. No sense in putting up with that for a still only average shooter.
    I enjoy ME2, some really dumb parts notwithstanding. While the hard turn towards shooter mechanics (as opposed to an RPG in a shooter package) is undeniable, it was nonetheless an improvement, which ME3 refined further. Maybe the remade ME1 will show us what might have happened if they'd iterated on the original concepts. But maybe it's best not too set my expectations to high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I know part of what had me play a black woman in Andromeda is the hair always looked horrible if it was moving.
    Trying to create non-Caucasian Shepards in ME1-3 never went well for me. Andromeda seemed to be better about it, or maybe I just did a better job. My original white guy Shepard did look like he fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

EDIT: That all having been said, the remaster will win a lot of points from me if they do something to improve ME1's horrific inventory system.
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-02-02 at 05:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Any improvements to ME1 are certainly welcome in my book - especially since elsewhere I saw it mentioned that they've supposedly made the Mako more responsive, too. As for more appearance customization stuff, sure, why not?

Sadly though, I did see it mentioned elsewhere that there will be no ME3 multiplayer in Legendary Edition. Apparently they decided that it would basically take more effort than it was worth when they wanted to do the updates that they're doing to ME1 as well, so they opted to keep the focus on the single-player. Pity, but oh well, I doubt I'd have gone back to it for too long anyway at this point, especially if past progress wasn't carried over somehow or the whole slow system of random boosters wasn't overhauled into something quicker.

Also, apparently it will include all of the series' DLC, with only one exception - Pinnacle Station from ME1, which apparently has had its source data corrupted, and thus can't be included. So aside from that, anything anybody missed out on the first time will be there.

Sounds good to me. And the May 14th release date actually works pretty well for me to suggest it to people as a possible birthday gift, so that's convenient.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #350

EDIT: That all having been said, the remaster will win a lot of points from me if they do something to improve ME1's horrific inventory system.
    Did you know that Shepard's secondary MOS was Quartermaster? You will after playing ME1!
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

I'm really torn about this. If this is a prelude to the other games getting a remaster, it'll effectively mean all the money I spent on the old games was wasted.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    I'm really torn about this. If this is a prelude to the other games getting a remaster, it'll effectively mean all the money I spent on the old games was wasted.
    Uh, how so?

(Also, "other games," plural? There's only one other game, Andromeda, and considering its age and reception, I doubt we'll see a remaster of that any time soon.)
    Last edited by Zevox; 2021-02-02 at 07:01 PM.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

23. - Top - End - #353
    Banned

Still not going to touch it. I don't care how pretty they make their broken story with a terrible ending, I'm not giving them money for a product like that.

The only reason I ever played Mass Effect was for the story. It had good moments and promised a lot, but ultimately failed to deliver on the product that they promised. They already got my money for that once, but they won't get it again.

Maybe I'll pick it up whenever it's steeply discounted on sale if it seems necessary for the upcoming sequel.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2021-02-02 at 07:06 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Uh, how so?

(Also, "other games," plural? There's only one other game, Andromeda, and considering its age and reception, I doubt we'll see a remaster of that any time soon.)
    Mass Effect 2? Mass Effect 3?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

25. - Top - End - #355

BardGuy

Mass Effect 2? Mass Effect 3?
    The remaster/"Legendary Edition" will be of the complete trilogy, not merely the first game.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Oh.

I still feel like I'm probably wasting my money, as I haven't actually PLAYED 3 yet, and haven't played the entire trilogy through in a straight shot...

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Oh.

I still feel like I'm probably wasting my money, as I haven't actually PLAYED 3 yet, and haven't played the entire trilogy through in a straight shot...
    Then don't buy the remaster? They're video games, unless they're literally your job, they're not your job and there's no obligation to stay up to date on them or anything.

And at this point if you haven't played ME 3, which is like 8 years old, maybe you're just not that interested in it?

28. - Top - End - #358

Then don't buy the remaster? They're video games, unless they're literally your job, they're not your job and there's no obligation to stay up to date on them or anything.

And at this point if you haven't played ME 3, which is like 8 years old, maybe you're just not that interested in it?
    My Dragon Age 2 opening screen keeps telling me that the ME3 demo has been released.
    The Cranky Gamer

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Oh.

Um, yeah, if you haven't played 3 yet despite having bought it (implied by your remark about wasted money), that just makes it sound like the series in general probably isn't a big deal to you. In which case, what would be the appeal of Legendary Edition anyway?

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, I watched video walkthroughs of it back in the day and I managed to get through a replay of the first game a couple years ago, but I didn't move on from it to replay 2, and other games have piled up like Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Total War: Warhammer, Warframe, Stellaris, the Pillars of Eternity games, Tyranny...and all these games feel like they require so much PLANNING that by the time I actually have some time to play some video games in between work and other aspects of life I feel too tired to even boot up the computer!

To say nothing of the fact that I've got the Mass Effect books and comics to read in sequence with the games too.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2021-02-02 at 07:58 PM.