New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Twurps View Post
    Q 442

If I'm the target of a 'Still' and 'Silent' mind-effecting spell such as suggestion. Do I know I'm being targeted? Do I know by who? Does this answer change whether I make or fail my will-save?
    A 422 continued

Here's a citation:

Succeeding on a Saving Throw
    A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.
    The rules don't state that this changes for Stilled/Silent effects.

So yes, if you succeed you know you were targeted, but you don't automatically know the source or caster.

Since the rules don't make any special mention, it's probably safe to assume that on a failed save, you don't know anything.

If it is mind affecting (as in your example), your allies may get a Sense Motive check to notice something amiss:

Sense Enchantment
    You can tell that someone’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (by definition, a mind-affecting effect), even if that person isn’t aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target’s activities.
    And as Khedrac mentioned, certain spells will have particular rules in regards to what happens on a successful or failed save.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 442

Also please note that suggestion is a language-dependent spell.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A language-dependent spell uses intelligible language as a medium for communication. If the target cannot understand or cannot hear what the caster of a language-dependent spell says the spell fails.
    Using Silent Spell on a language-dependent spell will hide the verbal component of the spell, but not the actual phrasing of the suggestion, which the caster must speak and the target must hear. Silent Spell (no need for Still Spell, there's no somatic component) would allow the spellcaster to make it look like the suggestion is just casual dialogue with no suspicious spellcasting taking place, but he must still talk to the target and be understood or the spell fail.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-07-28 at 04:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #963
    Halfling in the Playground

Q443

Are auras emanations or spreads? I mean, do they turn corners?
    Last edited by Arparrabiosa; 2021-07-28 at 06:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

A 443 Is there a particular kind of aura you're interested in? E.g. a cleric's alignment aura, a lich's fear aura, etc. In any event, they aren't either of those things but they behave the same way, meaning they are blocked by solid barriers which are bereft of holes larger than 1 foot in diameter, so no, they do not turn corners.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

5. - Top - End - #965
    Halfling in the Playground

Q443 addendum

Protection Devotion.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ogre in the Playground

Q444 Can a wizard with a prohibited school use spell-completion items (or other magic items) of that school with Use Magic Device?

The wording in the "prohibited schools" section is a hard no on using them, while the wording in the UMD skill description doesn't mention that as being a stumbling block so long as you have the skill ranks.

I think RAI is that wizards can put cross-class ranks into UMD and not be less effective than a commoner doing the same thing, and the prohibited schools description was written that way in order to not clutter a reader, who likely hadn't read the skills chapter yet, about extraneous information. But you could argue that either location is more specific, depending on your point of view.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

Q445

Determine which characters are aware of their opponents at the start of the battle. If some but not all of the combatants are aware of their opponents, a surprise round happens before regular rounds of combat begin.
    An archer is perched on a rooftop and an enemy below doesn't see him. The archer readies an action to shoot an arrow if the enemy moves into range. After this happens, does he then also get a surprise round, because at the start of the battle (the firing of the readied arrow), the enemy wasn't yet aware of him?
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Q 446

Is there any indication of how a warmage recovers spell slots? I don't see anything in Complete Arcane or its official errata.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A445 One cannot ready an action before initiative is determined, thus one cannot ready before the surprise round as that is the first round of initiative.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q447

The spell Blades of Fire, from Spell Compendium p31:
    It grants +1d8 Fire damage to weapons.

Would this grant a straight 1d8 damage on a touch attack?

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Q 446

Is there any indication of how a warmage recovers spell slots? I don't see anything in Complete Arcane or its official errata.
    They use the general rules for spontaneous arcane spellcasters, found in Chapter 10 of the PHB. (I believe they were later reprinted in RC as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by reddir View Post
    Q447

The spell Blades of Fire, from Spell Compendium p31:
    It grants +1d8 Fire damage to weapons.

Would this grant a straight 1d8 damage on a touch attack?
    Depends on the touch attack. Emerald razor? Yes. Trip attempt? No.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A445 One cannot ready an action before initiative is determined, thus one cannot ready before the surprise round as that is the first round of initiative.
    Do you have a cite? Seems like you can do it whenever you have a turn
    I don't think rounds cease to exist outside of combat otherwise how do you measure per-round durations outside of combat
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

13. - Top - End - #973
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 448

Glove of Storing: ... item can weigh no more than 20 pounds and must be able to be held in one hand. ... item is held in stasis and shrunk down ... Spell durations are not suppressed, but continue to expire. ...
    Can this also store a small living being, like a kitten? Or only non-alive things, and also (per the DMG) active fire?

It specifies "item" repeatedly. Since it doesn't use "object", which I thought was the default in the books, I am left wondering.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q/A455 Citation I think the usual citation for this is where you find it in the SRD - it is in the section "Special Intiative Actions" (along with Delay) - and thus the logic goes they are only available during initiative (and the very first line states "here are ways to change when you act during combat" implying you have to be in combat to Ready).

Another thing to consider is the case when opposing groups are either side of a door and aware of the other groups presence. Intiative is rolled when the door is opened - the ability to ready actions would make a mockery of that ruling as both groups would have everyone other than the door opening readying their actions.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

A 455

As already pointed out, Ready is a special Initiative action, and is also listed as a standard action on the Actions in Combat table. If Initiative has not been declared/rolled, you cannot take a special Initiative action.

Ready
    The ready action lets you prepare to take an action later, after your turn is over but before your next one has begun. Readying is a standard action. It does not provoke an attack of opportunity (though the action that you ready might do so).
    It calls out "your turn": you can only have "your turn" within an Initiative order.

Side note: the way my group handles "readying" when you anticipate a combat, is that readied characters get a Circumstance bonus to the Initiative rule (if the DM agrees they could reasonably "get the drop" on the opponents), as a variant of the "favorable circumstance" rules on skill checks (DMG p.30).

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Q 449

How does Legacy Champion interact with Initiator Level?

Presumably the 8 levels where LC advances class level would advance IL as if you had taken an level in your martial adept class (if you put all 8 such levels towards the same martial adept class).

But do also get an additional boost of 5 levels for 10 levels of the PrC? Or do you only get an additional 1 level for the 2 levels of LC that don't advance your class? Or something else altogether?

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elves View Post
    Q445

An archer is perched on a rooftop and an enemy below doesn't see him. The archer readies an action to shoot an arrow if the enemy moves into range. After this happens, does he then also get a surprise round, because at the start of the battle (the firing of the readied arrow), the enemy wasn't yet aware of him?
    You can't readies an action before initiative check.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Q 450

Am I my own ally? In specific, I'm looking at the SC spell recitation, which grants bonuses to allies but doesn't mention the caster one way or the other.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 450: Yes unless specified otherwise you count as your own ally.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

A450 Addendum

Yes, by the rules. However, if you goal is a better gameplay experience, do note that the people writing the books forgot about this rule a good 40% of the time and sometimes (e.g. White Raven Tactics) you'll want to use your judgement as to what makes more sense to apply.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks. May I ask where the rule is stated? I'm guessing it's the RC, but I don't own that.

Current games list

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Thanks. May I ask where the rule is stated? I'm guessing it's the RC, but I don't own that.
    You can also find it on P.304 of the PHB.

Quote Originally Posted by Glossary
    ally: A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to “allies” include yourself.
    (Emphasis mine.)

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ogre in the Playground

Q451: If you accidentally poison yourself while trying to apply poison to a weapon, does that use up the dose of poison?

Q452: What happens if a Warforged takes 10 levels in Green Star Adept?

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #36: The Triple Dozen

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Q451: If you accidentally poison yourself while trying to apply poison to a weapon, does that use up the dose of poison?
    A 451

Since each does of posion can only affect one creature, yes, it is used up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Q452: What happens if a Warforged takes 10 levels in Green Star Adept?
    A 452

I can see two readings of that:

1.) You lose the Living Construct subtype, and become just a regular Construct (subject to the modifications to the Construct type listed under Emerald Perfection).

2.) You retain the Living Construct type despite having no Con score. There is a precedent, of sorts, for creatures of a type that would normally have a Con score having a non-ability: Corrupted Flesh Golem

In either case, the new traits listed under Emerald Perfection would overwrite and relevant traits the Warforged has from being a Living Construct, where applicable.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...d/ex/20041105a

Spoiler
    Show
    Emerald Perfection (Ex): At 10th level, a Green Star adept completes his transformation. He resembles a perfectly sculpted statue of himself, forged from green starmetal. His type changes to construct, which brings about the following alterations to his basic nature:

* An adept loses his Constitution score and any hit point adjustment for Constitution. However, he gains bonus hit points based on his size: +10 hit points for Small, +20 hit points for Medium, or +30 hit points for Large.

* Unlike other constructs, a Green Star adept has no special immunity to mind-affecting effects. He is essentially a human mind in a magically animated body.

* He gains immunity to poison, paralysis, stunning, disease, extra damage from sneak attacks, death effects, and necromancy effects.

* He no longer heals damage on his own, and receives no benefit from spells or effects that heal living creatures. However, he can repair himself by means of repair damage spells (see page 120) or his rapid repair ability (see below).

* He is no longer subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain.

* He gains immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless it also works on objects, or is harmless.

* He is no longer at risk of death from massive damage, but he is immediately destroyed if reduced to 0 hit points. However, unlike other constructs, a Green Star adept can be returned from the dead by any means that would have worked on him before his final transformation.

* He no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. He cannot die of old age and might exist in this form for eons.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.a...subtype&alpha=

Spoiler
    Show
    living construct subtype
    A living construct is a new subtype of construct, a created being given sentience and free will through powerful and complex creation enchantments. Living constructs combine aspects of both constructs and living creatures, as detailed below.
    Features: A living construct derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.
    Traits: A living construct possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).

• Unlike other constructs, a living construct has a Constitution score. A living construct does not gain bonus hit points by size but gains (or loses) bonus hit points through a Constitution bonus (or penalty) as with other living creatures.
    • Unlike other constructs, a living construct does not have low-light vision or darkvision.
    • Unlike other constructs, a living construct is not immune to mind-influencing effects.
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain.
    • A living construct cannot heal damage naturally.
    • Unlike other constructs, living constructs are subject to critical hits, effects requiring a Fort save, death from massive damage, nonlethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects or necromancy effects.
    • Unlike other constructs, a living construct can use the run action.
    • Living constructs can be affected by spells that target living creatures as well as by those that target constructs. Damage dealt to a living construct can be healed by a cure light wounds spell or a repair light damage spell, for example, and a living construct is vulnerable to a harm spell. However, spells from the healing subschool provide only half effect to a living construct.
    • A living construct responds slightly differently from other living creatures when reduced to 0 hit points. A living construct with 0 hit points is disabled, just like a living creature. He can only take a single move action or standard action in each round, but strenuous activity does not risk further injury. When his hit points are less than 0 and greater than -10, a living construct is inert. He is unconscious and helpless, and he cannot perform any actions. However, an inert living construct does not lose additional hit points unless more damage is dealt to him, as with a living creature that is stable.
    • Can be raised or resurrected.
    • Does not need to eat, sleep, or breathe, but can still benefit from the effects of consumable spells and magic items such as heroes' feast and potions.
    • Does not need to sleep, but must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Q 453

This may be a silly question, but while answering previous question, I noticed something unusual. In the D&D glossary, the Living Construct type says the following:

Quote Originally Posted by D&D Glossary
    Does not need to sleep, but must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.
    I checked MM3, and it says the same thing for the Living Construct subtype there.

That's normally the case for arcane casters, but not divine. The Warforged racial entry in the ECS:

Quote Originally Posted by ECS p.23
    Although living constructs do not need to sleep, a warforged wizard must rest for 8 hours before preparing spells.
    Does this mean, by RAW, living constructs that are divine casters must rest 8 hours before preparing spells, or not? Is it different for Warforged to other Living Constructs?

A divine spellcaster chooses and prepares spells ahead of time, just as a wizard does. However, a divine spellcaster does not require a period of rest to prepare spells.

26. - Top - End - #986

A 453

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 453
    Does this mean, by RAW, living constructs that are divine casters must rest 8 hours before preparing spells, or not? Is it different for Warforged to other Living Constructs?
    The rule is the same as for all divine spellcasters. They don't need to rest, but they can only refresh their spells at a specific time of day. Although you should take note of this important sub-rule:

As with arcane spells, at the time of preparation any spells cast within the previous 8 hours count against the number of spells that can be prepared.
    It means that, in practice, although divine casters don't require the rest, they will rather avoid casting spells for the 8 hours preceding praying for new spells to have their full spell selection, and at least for those preparing in the morning they'll make it correspond with the time of rest for simplicity's sake. A warforged cleric will probably do the same even if not physically needing to sleep.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2021-08-02 at 06:53 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 454

Pretty sure this is a no, but can't remember for sure. Can PRCs take the skilled city dweller acf?
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Q 454

Pretty sure this is a no, but can't remember for sure. Can PRCs take the skilled city dweller acf?
    A 454

Yes, they can. From the text: "Skilled City-Dweller

The various wilderness-oriented skills are valuable indeed, but make less sense -- and may prove less useful -- for an urban character.

Class: Any class that has one or more of the "skills replaced," as listed below, on its list of class skills."

Any class. PrCs are classes, so they qualify.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 453The rule is the same as for all divine spellcasters. They don't need to rest, but they can only refresh their spells at a specific time of day. Although you should take note of this important sub-rule:

It means that, in practice, although divine casters don't require the rest, they will rather avoid casting spells for the 8 hours preceding praying for new spells to have their full spell selection, and at least for those preparing in the morning they'll make it correspond with the time of rest for simplicity's sake. A warforged cleric will probably do the same even if not physically needing to sleep.
    A 453 clarification

I tend to agree with the outcome, but what's your reasoning or citation for ignoring the line I quoted in the Living Construct subtype?

30. - Top - End - #990

BardGuy

Q 455
    What constitutes an epic character? Which of the following does or does not constitute an epic character?
    21+ levels of a class (ie fighter 21)
    21+ class levels (ie fighter 11 + barbarian 10)
    21+ hit dice (ie fighter 19 + 2 RHD)
    ECL 21+ (ie fighter 16 + 2 RHD + 3 LA)

Q 456
    Once you become an epic character you stop gaining BAB and start gaining epic attack bonus, which effectively prevents you from gaining additional iterative attacks...
    But, if you managed to gain a BAB significantly greater than your HD before actually reaching epic levels, would you be able to gain more iterative attacks than what is normally expected?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2021-08-02 at 07:02 PM.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.