New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Clever uses for Cantrips

Alright, like the title says: post your most humorous/creative/strange uses for cantrips/orisons and other low-level magic that you have seen or have thought of.

My examples:
    Cast Summon Instrument. BAM! Instant disposable, free, replaceable improvised weapon (favorite idea for this one, use a banjo string to strangle someone from behind, or give the instruments to a Drunken Master)

Multiple castings of Ghost Sound to make someone think they're hearing the voice of a God.
    Awesome Avatar by Shattersnap.

Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to El Goonish Shive for the banner image.

Give a player a fish, and he’ll probably try to sell it to an NPC fisherman.

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Clever uses for Cantrips

A friend once actually Cure Minor Wounds'd a lich's last 1 hp away. Don't ask me how this happened or what the DM was smoking because I wasn't present.
    Last edited by Atanuero; 2007-11-04 at 07:20 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Prestidigitation to make poison taste like candy...flavored poison.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Enlong View Post
    Alright, like the title says: post your most humorous/creative/strange uses for cantrips/orisons and other low-level magic that you have seen or have thought of.
    Prestidigitation is the standard one for these:

Running from someone? Change the color of your cloak, then change the color of a strangers to what yours used to be.

Want to interrogate someone? Change the flavor of strong drink into something harmless (but widely loved). Get 'em drunk, then ask.

It's also great for pranks - the seat of one's pants is roughly one square foot. You can soil things with Prestidigitation.

Mage hand, in a pinch, can be used to check and see if a small item is magical or merely under the effects of a spell (Detect Magic can't distinguish this).

Detect Magic can locate magical traps - which (except for poison-based traps) encompasses all the ones that do things worse than direct damage. Additionally, it scans an area faster than a rogue can (60 foot cone in 3 rounds).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Situation, a prince has become king by secretally killing his father, a character knows so he buys a wand of predestigion. Said character is the new kings mage-bodyguard, so he's always around him. Every time the new king puts on his fathers crown, the mage-bodyguard who has still spell and silent spell predestigions the crown to get dirty, then cleans it again as soon as the king takes it off. Thus causing the king to get excessivly paranoid and nervous, so much so that the nobles take care of said king.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Cast Light on the mage's pants.........

Cast Prestidigitation and chill all the food in th area just as people are about to take a bite, then warm it again. Color the party's meat shield's armour pink.

Cast lullaby on a guard/guards and sneak past.

Climb a buildng and summon instrument 'Gong' on someone's head.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2007-11-04 at 08:04 PM.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bloddyredcommie View Post
    Situation, a prince has become king by secretally killing his father, a character knows so he buys a wand of predestigion. Said character is the new kings mage-bodyguard, so he's always around him. Every time the new king puts on his fathers crown, the mage-bodyguard who has still spell and silent spell predestigions the crown to get dirty, then cleans it again as soon as the king takes it off. Thus causing the king to get excessivly paranoid and nervous, so much so that the nobles take care of said king.
    Did he use it to make the son's hands bloody? And afterwards, did he use it to get the damn spot out?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Did he use it to make the son's hands bloody? And afterwards, did he use it to get the damn spot out?
    No, but he should have, I originally though up this scenario when working on my Psychological warfare skill and system ( I should really post that)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Multiple castings of Ghost Sound to make someone think they're hearing the voice of a God.
    We did that once when the party was in prison (don't ask). It went something like this. "I, Nerull, have plans for these prisoners. RELEASE THEM NOW! Or face my immortal wrath."
    They practically kicked us out

create water
    "Hahahaha! I, the BBEG shall - " sploosh "destroy your - " sploosh "STOP IT!"

Summon instrument:
    "Pipe organ" Wham!
    "The horn of Helm Hammerhand" Earthquake.

I once bitchslapped somebody with mage hand.
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurellien View Post
    Here's a good one

"We are not working on 4th edition and we have no plans for it."
    -Every single person at WotC when asked
    You sir, win.

Robin of Whitehills, NG Human Druid IV, by me.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

We did that once when the party was in prison (don't ask). It went something like this. "I, Nerull, have plans for these prisoners. RELEASE THEM NOW! Or face my immortal wrath."
    They practically kicked us out
    Don't most D&D Dieties have an awareness of every time their name is spoken?

You sure it's a good idea to impersonate one of the evil ones?
    create water
    Yes, but is it worth the standard action when the DM can use that time to roll initiative... and require you to use THAT as your opening move?
    Summon instrument:
    "Pipe organ" Wham!
    "The horn of Helm Hammerhand" Earthquake.
    Both illegal by Summon Instrument's text - can't summon anything you can't hold in two hands, and it's a mundane instrument.
    I once bitchslapped somebody with mage hand.
    Illegal by way of the spell description - it can't affect people. You could, conceivably, animate a glove... but they'll see it coming with plenty of time to spare, what with the slow speed.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

We had an intensely paranoid wizard who cast Detect Poison on everything he ever ate.

Ironically, he actually died by CON damaging poison. It's just that it was on a crossbow bolt being fired by kobolds.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

From the SRD:
    The instrument is typical for its type. Only one instrument appears per casting, and it will play only for you. You can’t summon an instrument too large to be held in two hands.
    So you can't summon a pipe organ unless you're really strong, and if you ask for the Horn of Helm, you'll just get a typical horn. I'm sure you could find a good use for an alphorn, though (saves carrying around a standard-issue ten foot pole), and bass drums and tubas are still available for dropping.

On the subject of Prestidigitation and the taste of poison, a friend of mine once suggested pulling a "let's you and him fight" by adding the flavor of poison to food or drink, so the eater thinks someone's trying to assassinate him.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I frequently use acid spray to eat up the workings of locks

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, technically, it says "held" not "lifted" or "carried" anyone can hold an instrument in two hands, even if they can't pick it up. But yeah, by RAI, summoning the Helm of Helmhammerhand or a pipe organ.

Edit: missed the "handheld" bit. So yeah, its illegal.
    Last edited by bugsysservant; 2007-11-04 at 08:48 PM.
    Billy was a chemist's son,
    Now Billy is no more.
    What Billy thought was H2O
    Was H2SO4

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    From the SRD:So you can't summon a pipe organ unless you're really strong, and if you ask for the Horn of Helm, you'll just get a typical horn. I'm sure you could find a good use for an alphorn, though (saves carrying around a standard-issue ten foot pole), and bass drums and tubas are still available for dropping.

On the subject of Prestidigitation and the taste of poison, a friend of mine once suggested pulling a "let's you and him fight" by adding the flavor of poison to food or drink, so the eater thinks someone's trying to assassinate him.
    I love using the reflavouring ability of Prestidigitation.

Me: Here, friend, have some nice warm "apple juice".
    Friend: Hey, did you just do that air quote thing?
    Me: "No".
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-11-04 at 09:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    5680. Prestidigation cannot be used to do any of the following
    -freeze people's blood, killing them instantly
    -tear out tiny but vital organs
    -prevent their heart from beating
    -shut off the brain's supply of oxygen
    5681. The spell can't deal damage. Period. No matter how many ways you can come up with to use 1 pound of force to kill someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    5379. Mage Hand cannot be used to perform any of the effects in my previous post, no matter how many ways I can think of to use a whole 5 pounds of force to kill someone.
    5380. Nor Greater Mage Hand, even though 40 pounds of force is more than enough to crush someone's windpipe.
    minimum character limit
    Last edited by SurlySeraph; 2007-11-04 at 09:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

17. - Top - End - #17

Not sure if it's legal but someone once suggested to me that we pour some water into a lock and then use ray of frost to freeze the water, in effect breaking the lock when the water expanded and turned to ice.

Also, in a game my friend once used prestidigitation to lift a pound of lava out of a lava flow and dump it on a troll. The spell didn't do damage on it's own, it only used the environment to do it, so the DM allowed it.
    Last edited by Gerrtt; 2007-11-04 at 09:29 PM.
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

18. - Top - End - #18

Someone around these parts, I can't actually remember who it was though, had the idea to go to a preacher's sermon and cast ghost sound to make it sound like the preacher was farting, Prestidigitation to make it smell like it and then use silent image to make a cloud of green gas behind him.

Again, not my idea, if they're around here they can take credit for it.

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Make a pit trap with a portable hole, then ready mage hand to pick it up once somebody falls in. Wait a day, then empty the very blue corpse. Or if you're feeling very evil/wealthy, leave some iridescent and clear ioun stones to taunt the guy with, then toss the hole into a bag of holding.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Originally Posted by TigerHunter
    5379. Mage Hand cannot be used to perform any of the effects in my previous post, no matter how many ways I can think of to use a whole 5 pounds of force to kill someone.
    5380. Nor Greater Mage Hand, even though 40 pounds of force is more than enough to crush someone's windpipe.
    I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
    My favorite exchange:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    If your idea of fun is to give the players whatever they want, then I suggest you take out a board game called: CANDY LAND and use that for your gaming sessions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Obviously, you have never known the frustration of being stranded in the Molasses Swamp.
    _______
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Physics is a dame of culture and sophistication. She'll take you in, keep you warm at night, provide all kinds of insight into yourself and the world you never find on your own.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

When fighting a creature with "Swallow Whole," use prestidigation to give yourself the flavor of habanero peppers mixed with rancid meat.

When giving the fair damsel her requisite kiss, use prestidigitation to change your flavor to mint chocolate.

Technically a first-level spell, but still worth it: Leave a deck of cards on a table and hide somewhere off to the side. When someone attempts to draw a card, use silent image to make it appear as though they just drew the "Rogue" card from the Deck of Many Things ("one of your allies will betray you").
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    When fighting a creature with "Swallow Whole," use prestidigation to give yourself the flavor of habanero peppers mixed with rancid meat.
    Think about what many of them eat. Consider if that would actually make them stop.

As for Greater Mage Hand and the like, I believe those only affect objects. Even if they did not, it would be, definitely, a case where a saving throw is warranted.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    Think about what many of them eat. Consider if that would actually make them stop.
    Hm... Good point. Change that to castor oil. Nobody likes castor oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Hm... Good point. Change that to castor oil. Nobody likes castor oil.
    *Covers his shelf of castor oil with a sheet.*
    Yeah... You'd have to be some sort of weirdo to like that stuff. Gross.
    "78% of DM's admit to having started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that hasn't yet, stop fibbing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Thou hast exploded mine brain.
    Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Oh, I can't wait to start racking up the XP for you smelly apes.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Here's another use of the "re flavoring" form of Presto.

We all know that the highly nutritious gruel from a Sustaining Spoon tastes like cardboard, right? So you use Presto to make it taste like the best thing ever! Who cares if it still feels like mushy gruel, when it tastes like cinnamon-sugar oatmeal, or curry, or a bowl of pizza!?
    In fact, use that to sell a Sustaining Spoon for far more then it's worth, if ya don't need it anymore.

On a similar note, use Presto to make the plain water from a Decanter of Endless Water taste like the drink of your choice.

Those two items mean you never have to starve: Presto means you always get to taste what you want.

Use Know Direction to find north, and then use that knowledge to draw a map of your surroundings, with the direction of North drawn on it, so you always know which way is north.

Use Light to make an old weapon shine a pure white, and then sell your "Longsword of Brilliant Energy" for "low, low prices!" (higher level version of this: add Nystul's Magic Aura to make it detect as a Brilliant Energy Weapon)

Use Ghost Sound and Dancing Lights to create a bunch of artificial Will O' Whisps that you use to lure someone into a trap. Or wherever else you want to lead the light-deprived, slow-witted fool.

Mage Hand to steal someone's Handy Haversack (or other 5-pound item) while they sleep.

Arcane Mark to put a King's "Official Stamp" on your bootleg items, or to forge signatures. (signatures would require multiple castings, but as long as you've seen the real signature, you're good to go!)

Spoiler
    Show

Teach a player to fish, and next week he’ll show up with the book, “The Complete Adventuring Fisherman”. He’ll start hunting for some monstrous leviathan to catch and enslave, and he’ll be dual-wielding two fishing poles.

26. - Top - End - #26

Arcane Mark to put a King's "Official Stamp" on your bootleg items, or to forge signatures. (signatures would require multiple castings, but as long as you've seen the real signature, you're good to go!)
    Read. the. spell. It inscribes your PERSONAL rune on something, not random graffiti.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    Read. the. spell. It inscribes your PERSONAL rune on something, not random graffiti.
    OK, Fine. Then signatures are out. However, just 'cause it says "personal" rune, it doesn't put any restrictions on what that rune is, other then the fact that it can only be 6 characters in length, and 1 square foot. the spell wouldn't know that your "personal rune" happens to be identical to a certain stamp or insignia that would improve the credibility of bootleg gear, so long as you know that you must remain devoted to using that one rune.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Prestidigitation is the standard one for these:

Running from someone? Change the color of your cloak, then change the color of a strangers to what yours used to be.
    For a net change of NOTHING on your disguise check, sounds awesome. Also remember to ball it up into a 1 foot cube first or the spell won't color the whole thing.

Unrelated, you can't flavor yourself unless you're undead.

Also, expansion from making ice with a Ray of Frost in an attempt to do more damage than the actual spell does? Does this even need to be addressed?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

someone once suggested using create water to create water inside someone's head and use the water pressure to crush their brain.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

30. - Top - End - #30

create water
    Incidentally, Create Water can't actually do this. The rules are very specific about where you can summon stuff to, and "right over an enemy's head" is not allowed. Same goes for all the people saying silly things like crushing people's brains with water pressure. Enlong's suggestion, too, is blatantly against the rules. Even if his sig has a totally awesome quote about teaching players to fish.

"Clever" does not mean "cheating." There is nothing clever about cheating.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-11-05 at 02:01 AM.