New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Pocket Watch Repair Tools

What kind of tool proficiencies would a character need in order to disassemble reassemble and repair clocks/ pocket watches?

2. - Top - End - #2

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Pocket Watch Repair Tools

thinkers tools would fit. they're used for other similar objects.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

3. - Top - End - #3

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amdy_vill View Post
    thinkers tools would fit. they're used for other similar objects.
    Tinker’s tools are more mundane than you think. I was thinking that too but what’s inside a set of tinker tools doesn’t resemble the ability to repair pocket watches and clocks, well maybe large clocks. Thieves tools seem to be closer in line with what I’m thinking about for repair kit, just add two small screwdrivers.

I suppose I could just make up a set of specialized tools that one could be proficient in.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    Tinker’s tools are more mundane than you think. I was thinking that too but what’s inside a set of tinker tools doesn’t resemble the ability to repair pocket watches and clocks, well maybe large clocks.
    It depends on which book you use as a reference.

If using Xanathar's, then no, that book fumbled on tinker's tools despite having the artwork on its page that would align with other depictions of what tinker's tools should have been.

If you just use the PHB, tinker's tools are used for EXACTLY what you would be looking for.
    Go to page 37.
    "Tinker: You have proficiency with artisan’s tools (tinker’s tools). Using those tools, you can spend 1 hour and 10 gp worth of materials to construct a Tiny clockwork device"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Rock Gnomes can build clockwork explicitly with tinker tools

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Jewelers tools. C'mon, jewelers in real life fix pocket watches all the time.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silpharon View Post
    I came here to say this exact thing.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Silpharon View Post
    Gemcutting =\= Jewelers as we’d think of jt

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Tinker's Tools is the new Longsword?

A True Tinker (one who fixes tin and brass pots, containers, usually a little bit of this and that) is different from a Jeweler (one who makes jewelry - fine chains and small pieces, lockets, and as the technology changed small clockworks) is different from a Gem Cutter (Minerology + Geometry + Materials Science + a bit of finesse to get the most out of a raw product) is different from a Sculptor, etc.

As used by Gnomes, Tinker is the modern sense - one who futzes around with little doodads and devices. That kit is more akin to the Jeweler, particularly if a magnifying loop is involved. The classical Tinker folds into the Silversmith - softer, finer metals, with a strong focus on housewares, in addition to the metal art pieces.

I suppose this is a lot like calligraphy & forgery - the specific pieces in the kits overlap, but your proficiency - your specific training in use, has a different focus. You both need precision tools, need to be aware of how pieces fit and move, but one of you is focused on optics, the other on using a mainspring.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zhorn View Post
    It depends on which book you use as a reference.

If using Xanathar's, then no, that book fumbled on tinker's tools despite having the artwork on its page that would align with other depictions of what tinker's tools should have been.

If you just use the PHB, tinker's tools are used for EXACTLY what you would be looking for.
    Go to page 37.
    "Tinker: You have proficiency with artisan’s tools (tinker’s tools). Using those tools, you can spend 1 hour and 10 gp worth of materials to construct a Tiny clockwork device"
    I think the Xanathar's Guide got it right if you look up the old definition of a tinker, they were basically wondering repairman. If you look in the PHB, the weight of tinker tools it’s pretty heavy it’s the heaviest of all the tools listed. That doesn’t say small tools to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Naanomi View Post
    Rock Gnomes can build clockwork explicitly with tinker tools
    Rock gnomes have a unique racial feature that allows them to create/forge/put together the parts for a clockwork device.

The reason why I bring up the question is that I want to create a clockwork soul sorcerer that goes around repairing(mending cantrip also) clocks not really making them. Though later levels may use fabricate spell for that.
    Last edited by Garfunion; 2020-12-04 at 01:13 PM.