New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) HtV STL by Night

(OOC: Going to let Daishain confirm that he two is okay ending the scene in the diner)

Moments after Jen sends her text, her phone starts to ring. It's Bill, the leader of the Brotherhood. Assuming she picks up, he says, "Hi Jen. Great news. So so glad you reconsidered." His words fall on top of each other, and Jen can see him smiling in her mind's eye. "I think the first step would be to have you up here for the full induction ceremony. It's nothing too serious, but it's required, if you know what I mean."
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank glances at Jen, still a little surprised she was apparently diving right into binding herself with the brotherhood. "Right, um, okay. Hope that works for you Jen."

He takes a breath and a sip of his tea as he waits for the conversation to unfold.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm fine with ending the scene yes
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    (OOC: Going to let Daishain confirm that he two is okay ending the scene in the diner)

Moments after Jen sends her text, her phone starts to ring. It's Bill, the leader of the Brotherhood. Assuming she picks up, he says, "Hi Jen. Great news. So so glad you reconsidered." His words fall on top of each other, and Jen can see him smiling in her mind's eye. "I think the first step would be to have you up here for the full induction ceremony. It's nothing too serious, but it's required, if you know what I mean."
    "Sure no problem," Jen replied, "also, I found something interesting, seems like it might be up our alley. I'll tell you about it when we meet. Can we do it tonight?"
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Tonight?" Bill asks, surprise coloring his voice on the other line, "Sure, why not!" He tells Jen to come to the Church at that they would have everything set up around 9PM, which would give her plenty of time to prepare herself however necessary. After a moment's pause he adds, "Uh, the ritual is kinda... secret. I hope it's okay that Frank isn't invited."

This of course left the questions as to what Frank is going to do, and of course if Jen was going to bring up Seth and their request.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #785
    Titan in the Playground

"Tonight?" Bill asks, surprise coloring his voice on the other line, "Sure, why not!" He tells Jen to come to the Church at that they would have everything set up around 9PM, which would give her plenty of time to prepare herself however necessary. After a moment's pause he adds, "Uh, the ritual is kinda... secret. I hope it's okay that Frank isn't invited."

This of course left the questions as to what Frank is going to do, and of course if Jen was going to bring up Seth and their request.
    “Sure, how long does it take?” Jen asked.

She looked for Seth, hopefully he hadn’t departed yet.

“I’m gonna join their club, then I should be able to get you in,” she told him, “you’ll have to wait, like, in the car outside their place until it’s done. They’re touchy about that kind of stuff.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-01-14 at 08:33 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

There is a pause on the other line before Bill replies, "Eh, the ceremony will take a couple of hours... but you should probably plan on spending the night." He chuckles uncomfortably for a moment.

Seth has not yet departed (OOC: I guess), so he nods and watches as Jenn continues her conversation with Bill.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #787
    Titan in the Playground

There is a pause on the other line before Bill replies, "Eh, the ceremony will take a couple of hours... but you should probably plan on spending the night." He chuckles uncomfortably for a moment.

Seth has not yet departed (OOC: I guess), so he nods and watches as Jenn continues her conversation with Bill.
    “Hours? You’re not selling this very well,” Jen replied, “ok, how about we do the ceremony tomorrow. I’m bringing someone else with me too, uhh, not for the ceremony, but you’re going to want to meet him after.”

After the call, she jogs over to Seth.
    “Alright, change of plans, you get your stuff together, crash at my place tonight, and then tomorrow we head over, sound good?” she asked.
    TC for short

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bill quickly replies to Jen's impatience, his voice stern. "This is a major commitment, Jen. We are a sacred order, not just some little social club. Initiation is a big deal, and you... you got to respect that Jen." He adds in reply to her additional question, "Sure, I suppose we can do tomorrow night instead."

To Jen's remark about bringing an additional someone, his voice perks up a little. "Who is it," Bill asks, "a possible initiate?" His voice darkens a little as he adds, "We'd love another initiate, but... as I said, the ritual is kind of a big secret, so until we've had a chance to meet them and well, figure them out, they aren't going to be able to join for the initiation."

Seth sounds rather surprised by Jen's proposal. Perhaps exposing the first emotion that she's seen on his face. "Oh, okay. Uh, I guess you are gonna have to give me your address then," he says flatly, despite the look of shock on his face.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Bill quickly replies to Jen's impatience, his voice stern. "This is a major commitment, Jen. We are a sacred order, not just some little social club. Initiation is a big deal, and you... you got to respect that Jen." He adds in reply to her additional question, "Sure, I suppose we can do tomorrow night instead."

To Jen's remark about bringing an additional someone, his voice perks up a little. "Who is it," Bill asks, "a possible initiate?" His voice darkens a little as he adds, "We'd love another initiate, but... as I said, the ritual is kind of a big secret, so until we've had a chance to meet them and well, figure them out, they aren't going to be able to join for the initiation."

Seth sounds rather surprised by Jen's proposal. Perhaps exposing the first emotion that she's seen on his face. "Oh, okay. Uh, I guess you are gonna have to give me your address then," he says flatly, despite the look of shock on his face.
    Commitment? That set off a red flag for Jen.
    “Wait… what do I have to do after initiation?” Jen asked.

“Not an initiate, well, not yet, I wouldn’t suggest that without bringing him to see you first at least,” Jen said, “can we do the initiation during the day?”
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bill's voice only sounds more distressed as he replies. "Well, we have meetings, and there are vows of secrecy.. and well, I don't know because to be honest, we were pretty focused on The Wytch," he says. To the second question he says, "No, it kinda has to be at night. Witching hour and all."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Bill's voice only sounds more distressed as he replies. "Well, we have meetings, and there are vows of secrecy.. and well, I don't know because to be honest, we were pretty focused on The Wytch," he says. To the second question he says, "No, it kinda has to be at night. Witching hour and all."
    “Alright, screw it, we’ll do it tonight,” Jen said.

Later, to Seth: “get your stuff, we’re heading over there now”
    TC for short

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Great," Bill replies with excitement, "we'll get everything ready." There's a pause before he adds, "Uh, maybe bring a change of clothes."

Seth replies flatly, "Alright. I can do that. I will meet you in an hour."

As Seth walks away, Jen is left with the question as to what she wants to bring, or prepare before going back up to Salem.

In the meantime, Frank will also have time to take care of any of his own interests.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Frank looks to Jen, "You uh, you want me to head up there with you? This seems a little risky."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Frank looks to Jen, "You uh, you want me to head up there with you? This seems a little risky."
    “If you’re not doing anything else,” Jen said.

She will pack an overnight bag and bring her pistol and assault rifle.
    TC for short

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank drives, picking up Jen and Seth, though he makes it clear he wants to spend as little time up in Salem as possible, especially if he's not allowed to join in on whatever is going to happen in the church. He also privately makes it clear to Jen that he's not at all too thrilled to be left alone with Seth.

It is dark out, an orange crescent moon visible in the night's sky through a heavy curtain of charcoal clouds. The air is cold and crisp, almost autumnal, despite the time of year, and Salem as always, appears almost dead except for the rare care driving up or down Main Street. Frank pulls the car up across the street from the church. Built of ancient and pocked looking brick in a rather gothic style of architecture, The Illuminated Church of Saint George is one of the tallest buildings in Salem. It's skeletal and spiny red clock tower looms almost crookedly over its nave, the yellow eye of the clock face staring down at Frank's truck. Suppressing a shudder, Jen's companion says, "Are you sure you want to do this? I can go in with you if you like. Don't give a damn what Bill or the others say."

Seth remains in the back of the car, silent and unmoving.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

Frank drives, picking up Jen and Seth, though he makes it clear he wants to spend as little time up in Salem as possible, especially if he's not allowed to join in on whatever is going to happen in the church. He also privately makes it clear to Jen that he's not at all too thrilled to be left alone with Seth.

It is dark out, an orange crescent moon visible in the night's sky through a heavy curtain of charcoal clouds. The air is cold and crisp, almost autumnal, despite the time of year, and Salem as always, appears almost dead except for the rare care driving up or down Main Street. Frank pulls the car up across the street from the church. Built of ancient and pocked looking brick in a rather gothic style of architecture, The Illuminated Church of Saint George is one of the tallest buildings in Salem. It's skeletal and spiny red clock tower looms almost crookedly over its nave, the yellow eye of the clock face staring down at Frank's truck. Suppressing a shudder, Jen's companion says, "Are you sure you want to do this? I can go in with you if you like. Don't give a damn what Bill or the others say."

Seth remains in the back of the car, silent and unmoving.
    "Yeah, they helped us out when we didn't know a thing, I feel like I kind of owe them," Jen replied.
    "Keep alert... I'm worried whatever's after him might come looking," Jen said.

She twisted around to look at Seth.
    "What kind of supplies did you manage to pull together?" she asked.
    TC for short

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Frank nods his head to Jen, then shrugs. "Maybe we should get out of the car and go somewhere... we've got limited visibility or ability to do anything if... something comes after us," he replies, his head turning on a swivel to study the area outside. Satisfied with his momentary surveillance, Frank says with a sigh, "Not that there's so many places to go here."

In the back, face shrouded in dark, Seth remains a silent observer till he is spoken to. When finally addressed, he replies, "I brought a sleeping bag and a couple of days of clothing. I brought these," and shuffling in the dark, retrieves a pair of semiautomatic pistols; one in each hand. There is more shuffling has he returns them, presumably into body holsters. Then he adds coldly, "And I brought three M4 carbines, for your friends... as you had requested."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Frank nods his head to Jen, then shrugs. "Maybe we should get out of the car and go somewhere... we've got limited visibility or ability to do anything if... something comes after us," he replies, his head turning on a swivel to study the area outside. Satisfied with his momentary surveillance, Frank says with a sigh, "Not that there's so many places to go here."

In the back, face shrouded in dark, Seth remains a silent observer till he is spoken to. When finally addressed, he replies, "I brought a sleeping bag and a couple of days of clothing. I brought these," and shuffling in the dark, retrieves a pair of semiautomatic pistols; one in each hand. There is more shuffling has he returns them, presumably into body holsters. Then he adds coldly, "And I brought three M4 carbines, for your friends... as you had requested."
    "Well, maybe you won't need to trade all of them, we'll see how it goes," Jen said to Seth, "the good thing about holing up here is these guys aren't spooked by weird stuff, and they'll be able to put those M4's to good use if it comes down to it."

Once everything is settled, she heads inside.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2023-02-18 at 10:15 AM.
    TC for short

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Seth remains silent in the back seat, though in the shadow Jen thinks she sees his silhouette shrug. Just as Jen is starting to turn, his monotone voice breaks the silence. "I'll be waiting here," he says flatly.

Jen makes her way across the street and up the steps to the church. As Jen approaches, she can start to hear the soft murmur of people inside. But when she gets to the closed double doors of the church, they open outward with a groan. Arnold greets her in the entrance. He is robed in black and white, garb that looks like it might have been based on those worn by the pope, or cardinals, or some other catholic priest. He crosses his arms at he stares at Jen, standing almost a half a head shorter so that she can look down on Arnold's balding pudgy head. "Welcome Jen," he says, though his face is hard and unwelcoming, "I'm going to have to check you, before you can come in."

(OOC: If Arnold is going to search Jen's body, is anything concealed, or does she give anything up before he searches her?)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Seth remains silent in the back seat, though in the shadow Jen thinks she sees his silhouette shrug. Just as Jen is starting to turn, his monotone voice breaks the silence. "I'll be waiting here," he says flatly.

Jen makes her way across the street and up the steps to the church. As Jen approaches, she can start to hear the soft murmur of people inside. But when she gets to the closed double doors of the church, they open outward with a groan. Arnold greets her in the entrance. He is robed in black and white, garb that looks like it might have been based on those worn by the pope, or cardinals, or some other catholic priest. He crosses his arms at he stares at Jen, standing almost a half a head shorter so that she can look down on Arnold's balding pudgy head. "Welcome Jen," he says, though his face is hard and unwelcoming, "I'm going to have to check you, before you can come in."

(OOC: If Arnold is going to search Jen's body, is anything concealed, or does she give anything up before he searches her?)
    Jen pulled her Glock out and handed it over. She wanted to get through this without any hiccups.

“Can I keep my keys and wallet and stuff?” she asked.
    TC for short

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Arnold takes the pistol dutifully. To Jen's question he replies, "Yeah sure... but I'm still gonna have to check you." If he is allowed, Arnold will perform a quick though functional shake down in a practiced manner. "You're good," he says when finished, "follow me." Stepping back, he invites Jen to follow him back into the church.

Once entering the church proper, Jen sees that the rows of pews have small white candles glowing despite the yellow overhead electric light. Standing before the stage and alter, Bill and his group stand in a circle, awaiting their new sister. Like Arnold, Bill and the others of the Brotherhood are all dressed in dark ceremonial robes, and the leader is clutching a large, familiar looking leather bound book to his chest. "Welcome Jen," he says with a smile as Arnold leads her down the long aisle of the Nave towards the others. The group stands like they having been waiting in this arrangement just for Jen to arrive. "We welcome you with open arms," Bill adds, and as a chorus the others repeat this.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Arnold takes the pistol dutifully. To Jen's question he replies, "Yeah sure... but I'm still gonna have to check you." If he is allowed, Arnold will perform a quick though functional shake down in a practiced manner. "You're good," he says when finished, "follow me." Stepping back, he invites Jen to follow him back into the church.

Once entering the church proper, Jen sees that the rows of pews have small white candles glowing despite the yellow overhead electric light. Standing before the stage and alter, Bill and his group stand in a circle, awaiting their new sister. Like Arnold, Bill and the others of the Brotherhood are all dressed in dark ceremonial robes, and the leader is clutching a large, familiar looking leather bound book to his chest. "Welcome Jen," he says with a smile as Arnold leads her down the long aisle of the Nave towards the others. The group stands like they having been waiting in this arrangement just for Jen to arrive. "We welcome you with open arms," Bill adds, and as a chorus the others repeat this.
    “Umm.. hi,” Jen said, “happy to be here.”

This was a bit more than she expected, but whatever.
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #803
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Bill seems oblivious to Jen's feelings, or is perhaps choosing not to acknowledge her hesitancy. Arnold stops at the first row of benches, and motions for Jen to do the same. Bill steps forward and says with dead seriousness, "Jennifer Gibbs, you have been invited today to be considered for induction into our Brotherhood, and to join us in our midnight vigil against the darkness. I cannot tell you what trials you may face tonight; I cannot even promise you will survive. We ask you to consider your choices very seriously, for this is not a commitment that can be backed out of. Once seen, certain horrors can never be unseen. So if you have any doubt now, or any questions, ask now, for soon there will be no turning back."

The others watch on from behind Bill with the same unflinching solemnity.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

Bill seems oblivious to Jen's feelings, or is perhaps choosing not to acknowledge her hesitancy. Arnold stops at the first row of benches, and motions for Jen to do the same. Bill steps forward and says with dead seriousness, "Jennifer Gibbs, you have been invited today to be considered for induction into our Brotherhood, and to join us in our midnight vigil against the darkness. I cannot tell you what trials you may face tonight; I cannot even promise you will survive. We ask you to consider your choices very seriously, for this is not a commitment that can be backed out of. Once seen, certain horrors can never be unseen. So if you have any doubt now, or any questions, ask now, for soon there will be no turning back."

The others watch on from behind Bill with the same unflinching solemnity.
    "Better get serious," Jen thought. She might think this was a bit over the top with the theatrics, but everyone else was taking it seriously and she didn't want to be rude.

"Yes, I understand," Jen replied.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Very well," Bill says solemnly. He nods to one of his companions, who rushes to the wall, and flips a switch which kills the overhead lights. The congregation are left in a room lit only by the many small orange flames of the candles that had been set out throughout the church. Bill's silhouette approaches Jen, his dark robes making him appear almost as a floating head. He presses into Jen's hand a ceramic bowl, that appears to be filled with some liquid. In the dark, there are no colors, so it looks like the bowl might be filled with oil, or black blood, though the scent is more like some sort of hearty stew. "Drink this," Bill says, almost tenderly, his eyes fixed on Jen and her next move.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #806
    Titan in the Playground

"Very well," Bill says solemnly. He nods to one of his companions, who rushes to the wall, and flips a switch which kills the overhead lights. The congregation are left in a room lit only by the many small orange flames of the candles that had been set out throughout the church. Bill's silhouette approaches Jen, his dark robes making him appear almost as a floating head. He presses into Jen's hand a ceramic bowl, that appears to be filled with some liquid. In the dark, there are no colors, so it looks like the bowl might be filled with oil, or black blood, though the scent is more like some sort of hearty stew. "Drink this," Bill says, almost tenderly, his eyes fixed on Jen and her next move.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained," Jen thought. She was a little bit worried there'd be some kind of weird drug or something in there, but she figured if they wanted to hurt her, they could have done so on any number of occasions. She takes the bowl with both hands, holds her breath, and drinks it all.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The liquid is thick and sticky, coating Jen's mouth like honey. It tastes like honey too, but mixed with lip puckering vinegar. Mixed into is the bitter taste of rosemary and eucalyptus. Thick as it is, the poultice sticks in the back of Jen's mouth, the flavors somehow stronger and more rank, forcing her to gag. The cult members gathered around Jen watch anxiously as she struggles with the mixture, but finally forces it down.

If Jen is expecting some form of intoxication or hallucinations, it does not come immediately. Bill takes the chalice back, and hands it off to a robed underling. He then opens the book, placing a large but damp hand on Jen's forehead. He begins to read from the book, in what sounds like Latin, pausing every few sentences to allow the congregation to respond with an "Amen". The prayer seems to go on and on, the gathered brothers and sisters showing an endless patience as Bill drones on and on in his long dead language.

Finally, Bill removes his moist hand from Jen's brow. As he steps back, Arnold and Alexandra step forward (wasn't Arnold just standing behind her), holding robes for Jen to change into. Bill purses his lip, and raises a hand to uncomfortably gesture towards Jen. "You must disrobe, and join us in the garments of our order," he says. No one moves, no one attempts to show Jen some place to change in privacy. They simply stand there, watching expectantly.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

The liquid is thick and sticky, coating Jen's mouth like honey. It tastes like honey too, but mixed with lip puckering vinegar. Mixed into is the bitter taste of rosemary and eucalyptus. Thick as it is, the poultice sticks in the back of Jen's mouth, the flavors somehow stronger and more rank, forcing her to gag. The cult members gathered around Jen watch anxiously as she struggles with the mixture, but finally forces it down.

If Jen is expecting some form of intoxication or hallucinations, it does not come immediately. Bill takes the chalice back, and hands it off to a robed underling. He then opens the book, placing a large but damp hand on Jen's forehead. He begins to read from the book, in what sounds like Latin, pausing every few sentences to allow the congregation to respond with an "Amen". The prayer seems to go on and on, the gathered brothers and sisters showing an endless patience as Bill drones on and on in his long dead language.

Finally, Bill removes his moist hand from Jen's brow. As he steps back, Arnold and Alexandra step forward (wasn't Arnold just standing behind her), holding robes for Jen to change into. Bill purses his lip, and raises a hand to uncomfortably gesture towards Jen. "You must disrobe, and join us in the garments of our order," he says. No one moves, no one attempts to show Jen some place to change in privacy. They simply stand there, watching expectantly.
    “These jerks…” Jen thought.

She grabs the robes.

“Should have told me that beforehand,” she mutters to him.

She’ll loosen her clothes first then throw the robes on and turn her back to the group to change, to reveal as little as possible.
    TC for short

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jen finds the action of taking the robes and changing to be a sudden challenge. Her head feels heavy and floaty, and she finds her legs struggling with the ground as she moves around to doff her old clothing and don the robes. She fights the intoxicated feeling, forcing her eyes to focus with a couple of blinks and a headshake. The others are still watching expectantly, though no one seems to react to her public wardrobe change.

When she is done, Bill will nod his head and step forward again. "You already look more like one of us," he says, his smile either an attempt at reassurance or an attempt to suppress what he is really thinking. Now in his hand, where the tome had once been, is a small bowl of either glass or maybe Pyrex. A dark liquid sloshes inside this as well, maybe the same as the potion she had just drunk. But rather than offer the bowl to Jen to drink, he dips two fingers into the sludge. If Jen does not protest, he will step forward and paint on her forehead, once vertically and once horizontally in the sign of the cross, while saying, "I bless you initiate in the name of St. George, and St. Mather, and in the name of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior."

"Amen," the congregation repeats in unison, their voices seeming to fill the entirety of the church.

The liquid is cool on Jen's forehead. Bill steps back and says, "Now Jennifer Gibbs, there is one last test before your induction into our order. Do you swear to commit yourself to our cause; to fighting against The Wytch and the Demon, and all that is dark and unnatural and opposes the will of God?"
    Show

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

this is weird, but came this far, might as well keep going,” Jen thought.

“Yes,” she replied.
    TC for short