New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Low level warlock shopping for magic item

Playing a level 3 human warlock for friend campaign as temporarily guest character.(I'll be leaving around leveling up to four) Been asked to pick out a magic item, 2000g or less. Don't know where to start or what to look for. Im mostly 5e player and 3.5e makes my head spin.
    My warlock has entropic ward, beguiling influence and frightful blast invocations. Blank shot and precise shot feat if that helps.

Edit, took extra invocation as a feat as a human hence three invocations
    Last edited by Kotenkiri; 2021-01-16 at 01:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Low level warlock shopping for magic item

Well for starters you have too many invocations. 3rd-level warlocks know only two leasts, not three, unless there are some houserules going on in your campaign.

Anyway, maybe some bracers of the entangling blast would be good.

Also, check out my item spreadsheet, it may help. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I took Extra Invocation as a human feat hence the third Invocation. As for sheet, it looks good but too much information for me to even try to sort through. Im just looking for quick shortcut or direction for a temporarily guest character.
    Entangling Blast would just overlap with Dragon Adept? (I'm not clear on him) who's breath entangle people already.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Extra invocation requires the ability to use lesser invocations (level 6) and lets you have an extra invocation of a grade lower or less than the highest you can use. If your DM is fine with it, all good. Invocation selection is too sparse in my opinion.

Without details of what you are going to be facing it would be hard to pick something out. Because the character is temporary, consumables would be more valuable for the price. You could get a bunch of scrolls. If this were a long term character I would suggest being a scrooge. Because your best items as a warlock start at 8000gp. See if you can convince your DM to let you have 2500gp to afford Gloves of Eldritch Admixture. It would give you a unique item that can give you a boost on demand without being too powerful. You can find them in the MIC pg 105.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

2,000? You can afford a travel cloak out of Magic of Faerun if you want something that is more for camping and travel for 1,200g. It feeds you, makes you water or tea, keeps you comfy, and turns into a tent. A nice thing to leave the party if you get killed.
    You can then also afford a healing belt for 750g out of the magic item conpendium. This is a very good healing item that has saved my parties bacon many times. T
    hat would leave you with 50g for basic equipment like a backpack, rope, clothes, bedroll, etc.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

6. - Top - End - #6

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kotenkiri View Post
    I took Extra Invocation as a human feat hence the third Invocation. As for sheet, it looks good but too much information for me to even try to sort through. Im just looking for quick shortcut or direction for a temporarily guest character.
    Entangling Blast would just overlap with Dragon Adept? (I'm not clear on him) who's breath entangle people already.
    You can't take Extra Invocation at level 1. It requires level 6. Maybe try Nymph's Kiss or Mortalbane instead.

If you're not into the bracers, then there isn't anything that'll be especially specific to a warlock, so you'd probably be looking at things like a +1 reinforced chain shirt, artificer's monocle, hat of disguise, armband of reduction, handy haversack, ring of four winds, spidersilk pendant, breed leech, maybe a 2nd-level wand with 20 charges...you got some options for sure.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

You can get an item that grants either pass without trace or entropic shield at will for 1800 gp. Pass without trace can be continuous for 2000 gp.

Either gets you half or Entropoc Warding. You can then pick a different feat.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

If you have a decent Use Magic Device skill, purchase some very cheap scrolls of no light (from The Book of Vile Darkness) and a ring of the darkhidden (from The Magic Item Compendium). Just make sure you can see in the dark. (Also, your party.) It might require getting darkvision as an invocation, since you're human, but you'll be invisible to darkvision, and anyone without it won't be able to see at all.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2021-01-17 at 12:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    You can get an item that grants either pass without trace or entropic shield at will for 1800 gp. Pass without trace can be continuous for 2000 gp.

Either gets you half or Entropoc Warding. You can then pick a different feat.
    Not really. The former is more like 6k (Gwaeron's boots) and the latter is more like 8k (ring of entropic deflection).

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Not really. The former is more like 6k (Gwaeron's boots) and the latter is more like 8k (ring of entropic deflection).
    Yes, really; command-activated items of first level spells that don't have specific numeric boosts are 1800 gp. Continuous versions for spells that have at least hour/level durations are 2000 gp. I don't know if those items do something more than what was listed, but if so, they don't follow the guidelines of magic item creation. You can certainly argue they're evidence that those spells are bad for the guidelines, but I would also suggest a player talk to a DM about it, because some magic items are way too expensive for what they do. (Others, too cheap, but most of those actually violate the guidelines, too.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Yes, really; command-activated items of first level spells that don't have specific numeric boosts are 1800 gp. Continuous versions for spells that have at least hour/level durations are 2000 gp. I don't know if those items do something more than what was listed, but if so, they don't follow the guidelines of magic item creation. You can certainly argue they're evidence that those spells are bad for the guidelines, but I would also suggest a player talk to a DM about it, because some magic items are way too expensive for what they do. (Others, too cheap, but most of those actually violate the guidelines, too.)
    The guidelines are just simple guideline and not rules set into stone. The custom magic item section encourages the DM that some custom items can cost way more than the guideline implies because they are "just to strong". It further explains this, that whenever there is a item that does something similar to what you want, you should use that as calculation base. So if there is an item, which is more expensive than the guideline would suggest, you have to take the expensive item as base to further customize it (and the price).

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Gruftzwerg View Post
    The guidelines are just simple guideline and not rules set into stone. The custom magic item section encourages the DM that some custom items can cost way more than the guideline implies because they are "just to strong". It further explains this, that whenever there is a item that does something similar to what you want, you should use that as calculation base. So if there is an item, which is more expensive than the guideline would suggest, you have to take the expensive item as base to further customize it (and the price).
    Indeed. That also goes the other way: some items are way too costly. Thus, I point out the possibility to him to share with his DM.