New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: WandaVision

1. - Top - End - #631
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WandaVision

I was thinking today that that we have Scarlet Witch imbued with the powers of one infinity stone, Captain Marvel imbued with the power of another...are we leading up, in another 20 films maybe, to 4 more of those heroes for all the other stones (do they exist in the MU) and what will happen should they meet? has that scenario ever come to pass in the comics?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

2. - Top - End - #632
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: YES!
    Show
    I was positive that would be the next step. They fight, they talk, they fuse into one being.

It does seem a little strange that they didn’t. In terms of character arcs, it means that Wanda gets to say goodbye to the version of Vision that she created, but it also means we have this peculiar half-Vision who’s now floating around somewhere. That's a loose end they didn't really acknowledge.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a simple reason why they wouldn't merge the Visions on a basic dramatic level, Wanda needed to lose the family she created. If they gave her and Vision an out - so to speak - by making the WandaVision-Vision into a real boy it would diminish the significance of her sacrifice as she truly would've gotten what she wanted in the end.

As to nuVision, he hasn't had a chance for a character arc as he came into the series at the 11th hour. I'm quite willing to have him be a loose end for them to address in later works rather than "and now we have Vision back again!"

I support the prospect of a more well-developed character down the line over the convenience of tying every end up.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    I was thinking today that that we have Scarlet Witch imbued with the powers of one infinity stone, Captain Marvel imbued with the power of another...are we leading up, in another 20 films maybe, to 4 more of those heroes for all the other stones (do they exist in the MU) and what will happen should they meet? has that scenario ever come to pass in the comics?
    If you want to get nutty, Quill might have absorbed some of the Power Stone in GotG1, Jane Foster the Reality Stone, OGamora is bound within the soul stone, that just leaves the Time Stone.

Back to WandaVision, that was satisfying and a better close than I feared.

Spoiler: Questions
    Show
    So was Agatha able to grant Ralph super-speed, or was that an illusion? Also, I'm not sure how she can be condemned to be the "Wacky Neighbor" since she's now homeless.

I'm still confused as to where Monica's sudden power-up came from. Prior contact with Carol amplified by the Hex-field? Did I miss something?

Spoiler: Happy to see
    Show
    Glad the old Vision wasn't resurrected. I too assumed it would end in a merging and I like this better. All of the data, none of the memories, a new start for the character rather than just a cheat for his death. It also made NuVision's and the children's erasure more meaningful.

No Mephisto! No Multiverse! No Ultron resurrected! No Jimmy Woo's contact being some surprise character cameo! Happy they kept eyes on the ball for this one rather than spinning off into a bunch of directions.

Bring on Falcon and the Winter Soldier!

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: YES!
    Show
    I was positive that would be the next step. They fight, they talk, they fuse into one being.

It does seem a little strange that they didn’t. In terms of character arcs, it means that Wanda gets to say goodbye to the version of Vision that she created, but it also means we have this peculiar half-Vision who’s now floating around somewhere. That's a loose end they didn't really acknowledge.
    Spoiler
    Show
    honestly? Same. I suppose this helps keep the "no coming back from the dead" theme that the MCU has so far. (Loki doesn't count. he never died the first time. And the one in the Loki show is a completely different one altogether.) but... yeah. having a non-mindstone merged-vision would have been neat.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    If you want to get nutty, Quill might have absorbed some of the Power Stone in GotG1, Jane Foster the Reality Stone, OGamora is bound within the soul stone, that just leaves the Time Stone.
    Strange had a really close bond with the time stone as well.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Questions
    Show
    I'm still confused as to where Monica's sudden power-up came from. Prior contact with Carol amplified by the Hex-field? Did I miss something?
    Spoiler: Monica
    Show
    Her powers came from her moving through the hex barrier so many times. They referenced this when she was first spit out; her X-rays were all messed up. Darcy later theorized that if Monica walked through it one more time, it might permanently alter her DNA. That's why Monica tried using that rover to cross it.

7. - Top - End - #637

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Show
    Her powers came from her moving through the hex barrier so many times. They referenced this when she was first spit out; her X-rays were all messed up. Darcy later theorized that if Monica walked through it one more time, it might permanently alter her DNA. That's why Monica tried using that rover to cross it.
    Show
    I got that, I just thought it had to be something more than "go through the field three times, you get superpowers" (Though this is the Marvel Universe and you can get superpowers for less). I just thought it was going to be revealed the field "awakened" something in her left over from her encounter with Carol, etc., etc.....

It just feels like I'm missing something there, but I suppose that's Captain Marvel 2's problem now.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a simple reason why they wouldn't merge the Visions on a basic dramatic level, Wanda needed to lose the family she created. If they gave her and Vision an out - so to speak - by making the WandaVision-Vision into a real boy it would diminish the significance of her sacrifice as she truly would've gotten what she wanted in the end.

As to nuVision, he hasn't had a chance for a character arc as he came into the series at the 11th hour. I'm quite willing to have him be a loose end for them to address in later works rather than "and now we have Vision back again!"

I support the prospect of a more well-developed character down the line over the convenience of tying every end up.
    All of this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hex altered her biology in some unspecified way + echo of how she got powers in the comics.

Show
    I got that, I just thought it had to be something more than "go through the field three times, you get superpowers" (Though this is the Marvel Universe and you can get superpowers for less). I just thought it was going to be revealed the field "awakened" something in her left over from her encounter with Carol, etc., etc.....

It just feels like I'm missing something there, but I suppose that's Captain Marvel 2's problem now.
    I'm sure if they want to they can have it be more than that later without contradicting anything. What we got, in addition to being a nice callback to the comics, is plenty for now.

Spoiler: Happy to see
    Show
    Glad the old Vision wasn't resurrected. I too assumed it would end in a merging and I like this better. All of the data, none of the memories, a new start for the character rather than just a cheat for his death. It also made NuVision's and the children's erasure more meaningful.

No Mephisto! No Multiverse! No Ultron resurrected! No Jimmy Woo's contact being some surprise character cameo! Happy they kept eyes on the ball for this one rather than spinning off into a bunch of directions.

Bring on Falcon and the Winter Soldier!
    Indeed
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-03-06 at 12:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

On a side note, I had to look up the origin of Monica's powers in the comics. I have read comic titles featuring her - Next Wave, Mighty Avengers, Ultimates - so I'm not unfamiliar with the character on the whole, but I had genuinely no idea what her origin story was. Apparently her origin was in a Spider-Man issue, since the first time I saw her she already had the name, costume, abilities, and was a functional member of the Avengers.

In brief, according to the Marvel wiki "Fate came upon [Monica] one day when she gained superpowers after being bombarded by extra-dimensional energy, produced by an energy disruptor weapon created by a criminal scientist."

Which, yeah, was pretty much what we saw in WandaVision.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

Sidenote has anyone figured out the length of the show with all 9 episodes.

1All 9 Episodes with Credits
    2All 9 Episodes with Ending Credits skipped, but not skipped the Intro Songs, "Last Times on WandaVISION", and any post-credit quick scenes?

Those credits went on forever it seemed!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #641

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Hex altered her biology in some unspecified way + echo of how she got powers in the comics.
    I mean, it's just got to be so embarrassing for all those governments and shadow organizations spending so much time and money on mech suits and super-soldier programs to be outdone by folks wandering through random energy fields.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
    I mean, it's just got to be so embarrassing for all those governments and shadow organizations spending so much time and money on mech suits and super-soldier programs to be outdone by folks wandering through random energy fields.
    You’d think this would spawn an entire tourist industry for superhero wannabes.

Alien energy core crashed in the mountains? Be the first to touch it and gain fabulous powers! Unknown energy barrier in small-town America? Walk through it and embrace your special destiny!

13. - Top - End - #643
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

That's how the Hulk happened (well, the energy field was made by a bomb, but same same), so they already are.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

You’d think this would spawn an entire tourist industry for superhero wannabes.

Alien energy core crashed in the mountains? Be the first to touch it and gain fabulous powers! Unknown energy barrier in small-town America? Walk through it and embrace your special destiny!
    I think it was Jessica Jones’ series actually brought that up as a thing that happened. The trying to get powers part anyway. Not sure about the tourist trap aspect.

15. - Top - End - #645

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    In brief, according to the Marvel wiki "Fate came upon [Monica] one day when she gained superpowers after being bombarded by extra-dimensional energy, produced by an energy disruptor weapon created by a criminal scientist."
    And in both cases was the result of an unpowered Monica forcing her way through that energy.

My headcanon is that there is an overriding will in-setting that increases the odds of normal/unassuming people to become metahumans (both for good and ill.) All the corporations and shadow governments have a far lower success rate than they perhaps otherwise would.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ettin in the Playground

And in both cases was the result of an unpowered Monica forcing her way through that energy.
    Yeah but the MCU version does not have enough Spider-Man in Monica’s origin story.

17. - Top - End - #647

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Yeah but the MCU version does not have enough Spider-Man in Monica’s origin story.
    Hard disagree. Monica's origin stemming from one strong woman trying to save another from a predatory man is a vast improvement.

(Besides, even unpowered Monica wouldn't have needed Spidey's help against purse-snatchers of all things)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

My headcanon is that there is an overriding will in-setting that increases the odds of normal/unassuming people to become metahumans (both for good and ill.) All the corporations and shadow governments have a far lower success rate than they perhaps otherwise would.
    I mean your not wrong. at a certain point both big superhero universes run on the assumption that the higher levels of reality everything runs on a metatextual being deciding to make this or that happen, because that metatextual being is a stand in for the writer themselves. for Marvel, that is the One Above All.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #649
    Firbolg in the Playground

Was there ever an explanation for why the time period kept moving forward? Like, either Watsonian or Doylist?

It seems to me that the show would have been better sticking on one era so that we would have more opportunities to get used to Westview and its residents, as in a series with only 9 half hour episodes we didn't get a lot of time to establish "normal" before breaking it.

This seems like an idea someone had in development for a gimmick and refused to abandon it even though it didn't serve a purpose.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Was there ever an explanation for why the time period kept moving forward? Like, either Watsonian or Doylist?

It seems to me that the show would have been better sticking on one era so that we would have more opportunities to get used to Westview and its residents, as in a series with only 9 half hour episodes we didn't get a lot of time to establish "normal" before breaking it.

This seems like an idea someone had in development for a gimmick and refused to abandon it even though it didn't serve a purpose.
    The in-universe explanation is that those were not just sequential sitcom eras for the sake of it, but her subconscious is pulling the specific shows that were Wanda's comfort/obsession ever since she was a child and through her adult age as an avenger. They start with the older ones because she started watching those (as a child in eastern Europe), and it progresses through the ones she watched growing older.

Of course this is something that real people came up with for a script, but all fiction is.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2021-03-06 at 05:03 PM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

Hard disagree. Monica's origin stemming from one strong woman trying to save another from a predatory man is a vast improvement.

(Besides, even unpowered Monica wouldn't have needed Spidey's help against purse-snatchers of all things)
    Spider-Man was just following Monica either for she is "amazing" or his Spider-Sense could detect the underlying bomb as part of narrative logic.

What I am saying is I want Tom Holland to have a new role-model of someone who is 10 to 20 years older than him. (real actors only 9 years apart, but MCU since Peter is a high schooler the ages are about 18 years apart.) That is not a middle-age white man who will either betray him or let him down. Give Peter Parker a new story

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    What I am saying is I want Tom Holland to have a new role-model of someone who is 10 to 20 years older than him. (real actors only 9 years apart, but MCU since Peter is a high schooler the ages are about 18 years apart.) That is not a middle-age white man who will either betray him or let him down. Give Peter Parker a new story
    Also someone who won't give him up or desert him.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

23. - Top - End - #653

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post

Actually, only the first few were half hour, the rest were an hour each (or 48+ anyway).

As for why, Clertar covered most of it, I'd only add that each sitcom "era" was tied to a specific trauma in her life as well. Plus general anxieties about the role of women in the home that mirrored the life she wanted for herself had she not been an avenger.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Also someone who won't give him up or desert him.
    I dont think Rick Astley is qualified to mentor Spider Man, no matter how clever his internet career has been.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: I'm impressed
    Show
    I really thought they would dial back how reality destroying-ly dangerous Wanda is by removing the "Mind Stone influence." Instead, she's now reading the Darkhold! Things just got so much more apocalyptic.

As for "white vision," I officially suggest we call him "Cloudy Vision," or "Cataract," in honor of the secret program name, or even just "Vision," since this is the appearance I know for him from things like the Marvel Arcade Beat Em Up.

Pitch meeting is jumping right on top of the trends today.
    Spoiler: For Agatha All Along
    Show
    Anyway, to those disappointed that Agatha was cartoonishly villainous in the end, I understand, but also this was a corner she was painted into since A Very Special Episode when she killed a dog just to get a reaction from Wanda/the kids. Fans wouldn't ultimately let that kind of thing slide. Should Agatha All Along material be considered spoilers?
    Last edited by Zalabim; 2021-03-07 at 06:25 PM. Reason: More information

26. - Top - End - #656
    Banned

Chimera

Spoiler: Epsiode 9
    Show

Well, it's over. I guess it was ok, but not great.

I can just see the flawed plot:

The vague idea is to make Wanda the Scarlet Witch and read the Darkhold....for no real reason other then to set up a future Marvel movie.

Then someone says "hey lets to a TV nostalgia thing...for no reason. But it will be super cool and people love TV nostalgia.

But, wow, gow to connect the two ideas? Eh, don't even try. Just do nostalgia and good classic TV, pop a non villain in out of nowhere and pop in Scarlet Witch and Darkhold. That is a wrap.

--------

The whole SWORD bits just seem like a waste of time. I guess they set up Monica as a useless side character. Agent Wo shows up to stand around. Darcy shows up to make funny comments and....watch TV.

And Hayward was a bad guy? But, what did he do? His big bad thing was to....try and reactivate Vision as a SWORD agent? That does not seem so evil? Was he planning on taking over the world with his Vision or something?

----

As I thought they did just gloss over Wanda kidnapping, imprisoning, brain washing, controlling and torturing a couple hundred people...including children. Sure Wanda did not mean to do it.......BUT after that she sure does control it willingly. She spends WEEKS torturing all those poor people......WILLINGLY.

------

So what is the Timeline here?

Wanda see the Visions dead body....then drives out to the plot of land....and makes her hex prison torture chamber.

So that is Day One....and Wanda and Vision play out a version of The **** Van Dyke show. Ok.

So Agatha Harkness is somewhere in the world and detects the hex prison torture chamber. Then teleports over and sneaks in.

So did Agatha Harkness detect the hex prison torture chamber only seconds after it was made? Guess neither Wanda or Vision never had the time to meet Ralph Boner there single next door neighbor not Petro. So Agatha could swoop in, enslave Ralph and pose as the nosy next door neighbor ? And nothing was noticed by Wanda or the Vision?

So then Agatha pretends to be part of the TV Land drama.....but, she somehow picked "being Wanda's best friend next door", and Wanda did not notice this?

And...ok, how long did each nostalgia TV era last? A week? Had to be at least a couple days, right?

So.....um.....what exactly was going to happen on Week 8 of WandaVision? Week 1 starts in the '50's, week 2 in the 60's and so on, putting Week 7 as a 210 to 2020 show "The Office". So what about weeks 8 and 9? With Wanda caught up to modern TV, what then?

-----

And...ok Wanda likes the **** Van Dyke Show, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, Family Ties, Malcom in the Middle, Modern Family and the Office. We even see some of the boxes in Wanda's dads case. At least up to Malcom in the Middle.

But wait. Wanda is born in 1989. At age ten, in 1999, her parents are killed. Malcom in the Middle does not come out until 2000. Yet her dad Oleg has a copy of the season 1 DVD, that did not even come out until 2002. OOPs!

And....ok, **** Van Dyke Show, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, Family Ties, Malcom in the Middle, and Modern Family are all funny family sitcoms. Though it's a bit of a screech saying one person liked all these very different shows....but it's possible.

Ok...but except somehow Wanda watches and likes The Office? That is not a family show! Sure it is funny, but it is a show about work. The typical work day in a Western country. Most of the humor is based around work. So, how and why does Wanda like this show?

So other then for cool nostalgia why does Wanda's magic transmit The WandaVision show on VHF over the town? Sure Wanda might have known they were broadcast TV shows in the past, but how would she know what a VHF TV signal is?

And Wanda made a couple magic cameras to tape the show, plus a magic broadcast tower?

And WandaVision only has a single commercial? Um....that is not what VHF TV broadcasts were like: you got lots of commercials.

And for that matter, as Wanda only has the experience of watching the TV shows on DVD....she would not know about commercials, right? So why did her magic not make it rain DVDs or something like that?

And was WandaVision a 24/7 Real World/Big Brother type show.....or was the 'magic broadcast' edited to make a TV show? By a magic TV editor?

So Agatha is just playing along being a TV character, but oddly Wanda does not notice? But how does Agatha even figure out the Tv plot bit? Does Agatha have a magic TV?

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bugbear View Post
    Spoiler: Epsiode 9
    Show

Well, it's over. I guess it was ok, but not great.

I can just see the flawed plot:

The vague idea is to make Wanda the Scarlet Witch and read the Darkhold....for no real reason other then to set up a future Marvel movie.

Then someone says "hey lets to a TV nostalgia thing...for no reason. But it will be super cool and people love TV nostalgia.

But, wow, gow to connect the two ideas? Eh, don't even try. Just do nostalgia and good classic TV, pop a non villain in out of nowhere and pop in Scarlet Witch and Darkhold. That is a wrap.

--------

The whole SWORD bits just seem like a waste of time. I guess they set up Monica as a useless side character. Agent Wo shows up to stand around. Darcy shows up to make funny comments and....watch TV.

And Hayward was a bad guy? But, what did he do? His big bad thing was to....try and reactivate Vision as a SWORD agent? That does not seem so evil? Was he planning on taking over the world with his Vision or something?

----

As I thought they did just gloss over Wanda kidnapping, imprisoning, brain washing, controlling and torturing a couple hundred people...including children. Sure Wanda did not mean to do it.......BUT after that she sure does control it willingly. She spends WEEKS torturing all those poor people......WILLINGLY.

------

So what is the Timeline here?

Wanda see the Visions dead body....then drives out to the plot of land....and makes her hex prison torture chamber.

So that is Day One....and Wanda and Vision play out a version of The **** Van Dyke show. Ok.

So Agatha Harkness is somewhere in the world and detects the hex prison torture chamber. Then teleports over and sneaks in.

So did Agatha Harkness detect the hex prison torture chamber only seconds after it was made? Guess neither Wanda or Vision never had the time to meet Ralph Boner there single next door neighbor not Petro. So Agatha could swoop in, enslave Ralph and pose as the nosy next door neighbor ? And nothing was noticed by Wanda or the Vision?

So then Agatha pretends to be part of the TV Land drama.....but, she somehow picked "being Wanda's best friend next door", and Wanda did not notice this?

And...ok, how long did each nostalgia TV era last? A week? Had to be at least a couple days, right?

So.....um.....what exactly was going to happen on Week 8 of WandaVision? Week 1 starts in the '50's, week 2 in the 60's and so on, putting Week 7 as a 210 to 2020 show "The Office". So what about weeks 8 and 9? With Wanda caught up to modern TV, what then?

-----

And...ok Wanda likes the **** Van Dyke Show, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, Family Ties, Malcom in the Middle, Modern Family and the Office. We even see some of the boxes in Wanda's dads case. At least up to Malcom in the Middle.

But wait. Wanda is born in 1989. At age ten, in 1999, her parents are killed. Malcom in the Middle does not come out until 2000. Yet her dad Oleg has a copy of the season 1 DVD, that did not even come out until 2002. OOPs!

And....ok, **** Van Dyke Show, Bewitched, The Brady Bunch, Family Ties, Malcom in the Middle, and Modern Family are all funny family sitcoms. Though it's a bit of a screech saying one person liked all these very different shows....but it's possible.

Ok...but except somehow Wanda watches and likes The Office? That is not a family show! Sure it is funny, but it is a show about work. The typical work day in a Western country. Most of the humor is based around work. So, how and why does Wanda like this show?

So other then for cool nostalgia why does Wanda's magic transmit The WandaVision show on VHF over the town? Sure Wanda might have known they were broadcast TV shows in the past, but how would she know what a VHF TV signal is?

And Wanda made a couple magic cameras to tape the show, plus a magic broadcast tower?

And WandaVision only has a single commercial? Um....that is not what VHF TV broadcasts were like: you got lots of commercials.

And for that matter, as Wanda only has the experience of watching the TV shows on DVD....she would not know about commercials, right? So why did her magic not make it rain DVDs or something like that?

And was WandaVision a 24/7 Real World/Big Brother type show.....or was the 'magic broadcast' edited to make a TV show? By a magic TV editor?

So Agatha is just playing along being a TV character, but oddly Wanda does not notice? But how does Agatha even figure out the Tv plot bit? Does Agatha have a magic TV?

Spoiler
    Show
    I think wanda not noticing Agatha is a strong argument for her lack of culpability, if she was doing this at all consciously then she would have noticed that she wasn't controlling Agatha. Since she didn't, that suggests a lot of it is deeply subconscious.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2021-03-07 at 10:15 PM.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think wanda not noticing Agatha is a strong argument for her lack of culpability, if she was doing this at all consciously then she would have noticed that she wasn't controlling Agatha. Since she didn't, that suggests a lot of it is deeply subconscious.
    Nods.

Spoiler
    Show

Some people on the internet have been complaining that why is Agatha in this tv show? That the writers could have eliminated Agatha and rewrote stuff and collapse complexity for Agatha is enchanting but it just makes the show more MCUish with fighting an evil witch and you are a different color witch.

The answer is ever since Episode 3 Agatha job has been to separate Vision and Wanda to prevent Vision from bring up the contradictions and making Wanda dwell on them. To make Wanda wake up and test the reality. To make Wanda have more culpability.

Agatha was trying to figure out Wanda and was gaslighting Wanda. Yes Wanda knew something was off ever since the twins were born, but Agatha is the cuttlefish distracting Wanda.

Wanda Maximoff : Everybody's afraid of something.
    Ulysses Klaue : Cuttlefish! Deep sea fish, they make lights, disco lights, whomp, whomp, whomp, to hypnotize their prey, and then whomp! I saw a documentary; it was terrifying. So, if you're going to fiddle with my brain, and make me see a giant Cuttlefish
    Agatha did not just want to steal Wanda’s magic. Agatha needed to know more, she is a person who lives for information and knowledge. Likewise Agatha and Wanda both are covenless Witches, and thus she was gently searching for more info prior to revealing herself. She sees Wanda as an earlier version of herself and part of Agatha self loathes her earlier self.

29. - Top - End - #659

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wanda is subconsciously controlling everything the whole time. However, she is also consciously aware that she is subconsciously controlling everything, at least by the time she has the argument with Vision. She might not understand how she's doing it, but she could try to stop and chooses not to.

30. - Top - End - #660

I like Cataract for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    Pitch meeting is jumping right on top of the trends today.
    Spoiler: For Agatha All Along
    Show
    Anyway, to those disappointed that Agatha was cartoonishly villainous in the end, I understand, but also this was a corner she was painted into since A Very Special Episode when she killed a dog just to get a reaction from Wanda/the kids. Fans wouldn't ultimately let that kind of thing slide. Should Agatha All Along material be considered spoilers?
    How was Agatha "cartoonishly villainous?"

Spoiler
    Show
    She genuinely believed the Scarlet Witch's power was too dangerous to remain in Wanda's untrained and by all accounts very unstable hands. And she might be very right to think that. We see Wanda as a sympathetic figure because of her attempts at heroism and her tragedy at the hands of callous corporations, literal Nazis and alien super-fascists, but if WandaVision proved one thing it's that her magic is capable of real and lasting harm regardless of whether she means it to be. The fact that the series ends with Wanda having indefinitely imprisoned Agatha in her own mind without trial and fled the authorities to go read a forbidden book somewhere is not exactly a refutation of Agatha's thesis either. And Agatha herself didn't appear to have exceptionally nefarious intentions for the power either, she simply and genuinely thought she was the best possible person to safeguard it since she had the training that Wanda clearly lacked.

If anyone deserves the cartoonishly evil label it's Hayward for seeing a couple of kids and immediately thinking "yeah, shooting them is the best response to this situation." Even knowing they're metahumans and may not even be real, he could have attempted a nonlethal takedown.

Then someone says "hey lets to a TV nostalgia thing...for no reason.
    There were several reasons actually, it was a multi-layered metaphor.

^ This being one of them - I'll give you a minute to figure some of the meanings out

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wanda is subconsciously controlling everything the whole time. However, she is also consciously aware that she is subconsciously controlling everything, at least by the time she has the argument with Vision. She might not understand how she's doing it, but she could try to stop and chooses not to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She didn't know how bad it was. She thought the townsfolk were at peace, like she was (on the surface) and that's probably what she was getting from them - her own sense of denial. When in reality they were trapped in a waking nightmare and drowning in her own grief and trauma that she kept locked away beneath the surface. She didn't know until the town square scene.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy