New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hell's rebels - In Hell's bright shadow [ dnd 5e IC ]

Spoiler: OOC@Zhent
    Show
    You were alone, for about 1 round. Luckily the door just closed behind you, it didn't lock.

Andvari comes down the ladder so everyone is now in the cellar...

The metal grating is closed. It has a lock. While the grating is in bad condition it holds against K'tak's strength and there's no opening in it through which a full-sized person could crawl.

Once more Rexus sets out to destroy the hinges with his acid splashes.
    Lots of rust, I wonder if this one will fall into pieces easier?

While he sets to work, the pipes start to play again. The music clearly wafts from beyond the stairway, further down.

The dog corpses on the ground have a few small bite marks on them. They don't look like they were caused by K'tak. Sharp small wounds.

Meanwhile, the more perceptive ones in the group are vaguely aware of being watched from the tunnels dug into the walls. Yet nothing is attacking you. Orion seeks to connect with these... and surprisingly he finds a presence, a connection.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Orion
    V. Human (Aberrant) Sorcerer 1
    AC: 12 | HP: 8/8 | HD: 1d6
    Initiative: +2 | P. Perception: 13 | P. Investigation: 10
    Spells: 1st: 1/2 | Sorcery Points: 2/2
    Active Effects: None
    Conditions: None

Orion concentrates, and send out telepathically (in Tukuut) Hello, can you understand me? My name in Orion; who are you?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10 HD: 1/1d8 BI: 2/3d6
    PPrc: 9 PInv: 13 PIns: 9
    Conditions: - Disguise: - (PDec: 15)
    Concentration: -

Hep looks over to Rexus and stows his blade, producing the much heftier crowbar in its stead. "If you work your magic," he says to Rexus, "I can pry and try to break it that much faster."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'd like to try and help break the gate open if Rexus is casting acid splash on the hinges.

Spoiler: Actor's Repertoire
    Show
    Voices that Hep can mimic using the Actor feat:
    Ally PC's: K'tak, Copper, Andvari, Caelin
    Ally NPC's: Rexus Victocora
    Enemies: Barzillai Torkrest
    Randos: wiry ratfolk urchin, skeevy ratfolk merchant

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Orions messages the other mind. Back comes a weird clutter of animal noise like noises. Squeaks, meowing, barks, even whalesong. The mixture of noises continues and raises in fury. It gets quite annoying quite fast.

After a few splashes Hep uses the crowbar to pry the hinges off the wall. The gate starts to topple backward and then falls down the stairs making an awful amount of noise...

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Copper tries to use "Toll the Dead" on the door.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    AC: 15 | Current HP: 14 | Max HP: 14 | Hit Die: 1d12
    Initiative: +0 | Pperception: 15
    Condition(s):
    Active effect(s):

As the others take to the gate she was unable to open, K'tak turns her attention to the rest of the room to try and take in the various details about it. Though it's interrupted a short while later when the gate crashes to the ground and then proceeds to noisily fall down the stairs. K'tak watches, her head bouncing slightly with every thud as it topples downward. "Well, I doubt sneaking in was a possibility before this anyways," she said plainly before beginning to lead the way down the stairs.

7. - Top - End - #247

SamuraiGuy

Orion

Orion quickly breaks his mental link with the creature as the gate falls. "By the gods, I have no idea what these creatures are. I just tried to communicate with one, and they don't seem to use any actual language, only strange animal sounds." Orion follows K'tak down the stairs.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard

Following after the group down the stairs, Hep raises an eyebrow, directing his words towards Orion. "'Communicate'? Pardon me for asking, but how, exactly? Unless you were speaking over the clatter of the gate - and I apologize for my role in that - I did not hear you speak until just now... How do you do it?"

Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Copper says "Regardless, this probably isn't a safe place to be right now."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Copper's spell doesn't affect the gate in any way.
    Only affects creatures... so not a mimic then.

When K'tak starts to look around the room a little... suddenly the room trembles and a sound like the rattler of a rattlesnake can be heard at the western part of the room, except that the noise is freakishly loud.

Andvari notes that spells are at work when this happens.

When K'tak starts to move back towards the stairs, the tremors stop immediately.

At the bottom of the stairs there's a double door. The doors are closed but they don't seem locked.

Rexus opens the doors and a smell of rotten flesh and sulfur floods your nostrils. Beyond the doors there's a room...

A fifty-foot-diameter pool of rancid, brown slurry fills most of this circular chamber. Chunks of plaster have fallen away, leaving ragged patches behind in the walls and ceiling and mounds of rubble on the floor. What wall space remains is decorated in crude drawings and symbols of sinister form. Greasy-looking chains run between four stout pillars rising from the muck and anchor to various points on the wall.

Andvari notes the symbols have a powerful spell on them but it's dormant. Seems like conjuration magic.
    Rexus looks at the occult scribblings and remarks
    A portal to Hell? How interesting!

11. - Top - End - #251

SamuraiGuy

Orion

Orion answers Hep's question on his way down the stairs. "I have a limited form of telepathy." He stares at Hep for a second and forms the link. See? Like this. He continues audibly, "But I can only connect with one being at a time, and it fades quickly if I do not renew it."

Orion stops and stares into the room. He takes a step back and looks around. "Um...what exactly were you looking for down here, Rexus? I hope this is not it."

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Rexus seems frazzled and hyped. He points at a symbol on the wall.
    See, doesn't this look like it was just the infernal language? The symbols are complex but could it be just calligraphy? That one there reminds me of the symbol for Hell. That's rather nonspecific. Wouldn't it be dangerous to open a gate to just somewhere in Hell. I'd really like some guidance on the right place in Hell before opening gates. What do you think?

The symbols on the walls seem very delicate, written with great care and many flourishes. It must have taken months to decorate the whole room in such detail.

You catch some movement in the muck in the large cistern that takes up a large section of the floor.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard

Unblinking, Hep's eyes move from shock at Orion's ability, to disgust at the cistern and the diabolic symbols on the walls, and finally to alert concern at the sudden movement. Sword drawn, Hep braces his footing, not wishing to say anything should something within the cesspit react by further sound.

Show
    I'd like to Ready an attack against anything that might pop out from the sludge pool.

Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Bugbear in the Playground

Andvari Stoneweller
    Mountain Dwarf, Artificer 1
    AC: 16 (Scale Mail) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Speed: 25
    Passive Perception 9 | Initiative: +2 | Stealth: Disadvantage (Scale Mail)
    Spell Slots: 1st 2/2
    Magical Tinkering: Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari) : Stone, 6 seconds of audio "Hey, over here!" (Andvari)
    *** 10 minutes of Detect Magic ritual ***

"Hmmm," Andvari steps closer to the infernal writing, translating it as he goes. "I know the language but it will take me a moment to see if I know any more about it. It's not active right now, of course, but not sure when it was last used."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Not sure if you've already done any rolls for me, but I'd like to see if I can learn more with Religion or Arcana. If I can only make one check, I'd prefer Religion.
    Religion: (1d20+2)[6]
    Arcana: (1d20+2)[16]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I actually like players rolling rolls in online play so go ahead when you feel like it.

Andvari considers the room's decor. The symbols on the walls are definitely infernal and it certainly looks to be a set of markings to create a portal to Hell. What ends up drawing Andvari's attention though is the artisanship, which is bad. It looks like somebody spent months drawing intricate occult symbols with a spoon or similar makeshift tool. Despite this the work is consistent, perfect, like made by something incapable of error.

Devils can be like golems almost... repetitive, slavelike... the weak ones almost mindless, nothing but servants engaged in a task...

At that moment five creatures of this ilk start to climb from the muck onto the floor...
    Spoiler: Image+ initiatives
    Show

Hep gets the readied strike as well as his own turn.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/e4/33/45/e...2d8bd6b502.jpg

Rolls kind of similar to last go round,
    21 Hep
    19 Devils
    15 K'tak
    14 Copper
    8 Andvari
    5 Orion
    4 Rexus

Andvari recognizes the molten, slimy masses as lemures, the weakest devils. Despite them being larger than Andvari they're pitiful, hardly even creatures. An existence so low it's unimaginable. Yet most dwarves will eventually become lemures. Only the power of learning can make a mind capable of withstanding death and able to rise immediately to something better. Most hope to become bearded devils - hence the common beards... but as they say "Winners get to bone".

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard

"I KNEW IT!" As the devils could emerge, Hep thrusts his sword into whatever grotesque form he can make out, twice, hoping to put whatever he stabs out of its misery. He backs away from the pit, not only to avoid falling in, but also to make space for those more capable than him to step forward. "SEND THEM BACK!!"

Spoiler: OOC: Mechanics / Thought Process
    Show
    Reaction: Readied Attack(Rapier): (1d20+4)[15] to hit, dealing (1d8+2)[5] piercing damage.
    Action: Attack(Rapier): (1d20+4)[11] to hit, dealing (1d8+2)[6] piercing damage.
    Move: 20 feet away from the pit.
    Bonus Action: -

I'm planning on providing some backline support with a bane spell and a Bardic Inspiration kicker on my next turn.

Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Hep stabs at one of the lemures twice which makes it grimace in a weird way that suggests the words
    Oh, this again...
    The thing collapses into a pile of vaguely rotten flesh-coloured sludge and starts slowly dripping back into the cesspool from which it rose.

As Hep starts back two of the lemures reach for him reactively but Hep easily avoids their clumsy waving appendages.

The four remaining devils seem to lack any interest in their fallen partner. Instead they slide towards Orion and Rexus

Despite the creatures' slow speed one of them by accident manages to poke Orion in the eye for 6 bludgeoning damage. Another manages to get a glancing hit on Rexus.

Spoiler: Initiative queue
    Show

15 K'tak
    14 Copper
    8 Andvari
    5 Orion
    4 Rexus

Round 2
    21 Hep
    19 Devils

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    Condition(s):
    Active effect(s): Rage

Despite leading the way into the cistern like room, K'tak had held up near its entrance as the others explored. She eyed the runes suspiciously and the murky water wearily, nearly refusing to truly enter the horrid smelling space. She'd started observing a few of the runes along the side walls when the call of battle reached her, and she quickly took to it by drawing her battle axe and racing over to the first of the creatures that'd hit Orion. With a raptor like hissing roar that had her spines standing up menacingly, the lizardfolk moved up to where Orion would have cover before brining her axe across with a vicious swing.

Spoiler: OOC actions:
    Show
    Entering Rage and rolling to attack the Lemure that hit Orion: (1d20+3)[21]
    Damage on hit (1d8+3)[5]

19. - Top - End - #259

SamuraiGuy

Orion
    AC: 12 | HP: 2/8 | HD: 1d6

Orion is slightly stunned by the attack and rubs at his eye, hoping it is not infected. Seeing the others leap into action, Orion gets angry and blasts the nearest mud-creature he can see. He then cautiously retreats from the room, making sure those weird animals in the walls are not behind him as he backs out of the portal room.

Show
    Orion cats mind sliver on the nearest enemy: DC 13 Int save or (1d6)[2] psychic damage and minus (1d4)[1] on its next save. Assuming no creatures are near enough to make an opportunity attack, he uses his move action to retreat out of the room.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

K'tak strikes the lemure in the midsection. There's a sound like hitting mud. When K'tak withdraws her weapon again there's a 'Blop' as gloops of molten flesh are strewn about.

Orion's mind sliver succeeds in damaging the lemure but casting spells, he's unable to disengage safely.

On his turn, Rexus doesn't withdraw either. He shoots a splash of acid at the same lemure that damaged him.

Show

14 Copper
    8 Andvari

Round 2
    21 Hep
    19 Devils
    15 K'tak
    5 Orion
    4 Rexus

21. - Top - End - #261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Andvari Stoneweller
    Mountain Dwarf, Artificer 1
    AC: 16 (Scale Mail) | HP: 10/10 | HD: 1/1d8 | Speed: 25
    Passive Perception 9 | Initiative: +2 | Stealth: Disadvantage (Scale Mail)
    Spell Slots: 1st 2/2
    Magical Tinkering: Ring, 5 ft of light (Andvari) : Stone, 6 seconds of audio "Hey, over here!" (Andvari)
    *** 10 minutes of Detect Magic ritual ***

Andvari steps forward in front of Hep, seeing K'tak aiding Orion. His hands glow yellow with flame as he sends a fire bolt off toward a Lemure that had been damaged. "These things are devils! Not that it makes too much of a difference, but I think these were summoned here as some sort of slaves! Whoever called them, well, they didn't exactly have the right tools for the job..."

Spoiler
    Show

Fire Bolt: (1d20+4)[11]
    Damage: (1d10)[1]

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard

Hep sneers at the disgusting slime on his blade, swinging hard to spatter it against the ground before turning his attention back to the devils. Biting down hard on his free hand, he breaks the skin; with the taste of blood in his mouth, he begins shouting at the monsters, weaving magic into his voice. "DAMN YOU! AS WRETCHED IN HELL AS YOU WERE IN LIFE!!" Turning his attention to K'tak, his words shift from beratement to encouragement, "BEAT THEM DOWN, LADY! DO NOT HOLD BACK!"

Show
    Action: Spellcasting(bane): targeting the three healthiest lemures (CHA DC 13 else -1d4 on all attack rolls or saving throws before the spell ends (Concentration: 1 minute (10/10 rounds remaining))
    Bonus Action: Bardic Inspiration: K'tak is granted 1d6; Rules: "Once within the next 10 minutes, the creature can roll the die and add the number rolled to one ability check, Attack roll, or saving throw it makes. The creature can wait until after it rolls The D20 before deciding to use the Bardic Inspiration die, but must decide before the DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. Once the Bardic Inspiration die is rolled, it is lost. A creature can have only one Bardic Inspiration die at a time." The expended die will be listed in my stat block at the beginning of my next turn.

Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Andvari's firebolt singes a devil's fingers causing a strange smell of fried chicken in the room.

Two of the lemures seem to surprisingly be able to resist the baneful spell that Hep weaves on them.

Show
    Zhentarim commented he'd be off a while so ...

Copper moves in on the lemures and tries to strike one of them. The blow seems clumsy but the lemures are so easy to hit that Copper strikes one of them causing a part of the devil's arm to fall off.

The lemures in turn attack...
    One goes for Copper missing her.
    One goes for Rexus, striking his shield.
    One goes for Orion, the bane spell causing them to also miss.
    And finally the fourth lemure tries to attack K'tak, and they too miss.

Show

15 K'tak
    14 Copper
    8 Andvari
    5 Orion
    4 Rexus

Round 3
    21 Hep
    19 Devils

24. - Top - End - #264

SamuraiGuy

Orion

Orion again sends a mental blast against the mud devil attacking him. "What takes these creatures down?!" He then reflects that should be grateful they have minds to destroy, at least. Orion is poised on the balls of his feet, ready to run or defend himself, whichever becomes necessary.

Show
    Orion does a mind sliver (of course): DC 13 Int save or (1d6)[5] psychic damage and minus (1d4)[1] on its next save. If by the time Orion acts the creature is destroyed, he will attack a different creature and use his move action to get out of the room, if possible. If the creature attacks him and looks like it will hit, Orion is ready to cast Shield as his reaction.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

K'tak
    Lizardfolk Barbarian
    Condition(s):Bardic inspiration (1d6)
    Active effect(s): Rage

"Never,"K'tak replied while batting away the arm that tried to strike her with her shield. K'tak would then bring her axe back around again for another swing at the one currently attacking Orion, hoping to fell it first since it was being subject to two attackers. "They are flesh and bleed when struck." K'tak replied to Orion's question.

Spoiler: OOC actions:
    Show
    Attacking the same Lemure she did last time:(1d20+3)[21]
    Dmg if hit:(1d8+3)[8]

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

K'tak strikes Orion's foe with a strong blow but the devil still stands...

But when Orion now attacks the creature's mind, it's overpowered and starts to collapse. It melts into a puddle like a snowman under a blowtorch. The puddle is surprisingly not sticky. Instead it seems to stay together.

Andvari remembers
    These things are notorious for regenerating back together though it will take a very long time.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: good call
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilex View Post
    Andvari's firebolt singes a devil's fingers causing a strange smell of fried chicken in the room.

Two of the lemures seem to surprisingly be able to resist the baneful spell that Hep weaves on them.

Show
    Zhentarim commented he'd be off a while so ...

Copper moves in on the lemures and tries to strike one of them. The blow seems clumsy but the lemures are so easy to hit that Copper strikes one of them causing a part of the devil's arm to fall off.

The lemures in turn attack...
    One goes for Copper missing her.
    One goes for Rexus, striking his shield.
    One goes for Orion, the bane spell causing them to also miss.
    And finally the fourth lemure tries to attack K'tak, and they too miss.

Show

15 K'tak
    14 Copper
    8 Andvari
    5 Orion
    4 Rexus

Round 3
    21 Hep
    19 Devils

Copper takes another swing at another lemure shouting "By Howling Storm's might, may I send each and every one of you back to the pits where you belong!"

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hep Rigley
    Human Extortionist, Bard
    Concentration: bane (9 rounds remaining)

Hep sneers, almost snarling in disgust at the devils, focusing on the one who'd succumbed to his magic. Normally, he can sense a heartbeat, his focus drawn to snuffing it out; with this creature, he only senses the faint screaming of a tortured soul. Turning his full attention to the lemure, Hep bolsters his voice with magic. "DID YOU EVER HAVE A HEART, YOU EVIL WRETCH?!"

Show
    Action: Spellcasting(vicious mockery): targeting the lemure affected by bane (WIS DC 13 else (1d4)[4] psychic damage and Disadvantage on the next saving throw)
    Bonus Action: -
    K'tak still has Bardic Inspiration (99/100 rounds remaining)

Might as well compound the saving throw penalties on the one that I can affect.

Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Ok, I'm using my prerogative to advance the game. Rolling some rolls.

Coppers smashes one of the already damaged lemures into bits of gloop with her weapon.

Andvari shoots another firebolt on one of the devils. The fire burns the creature's midsection quite severely with almost maximal damage.

Rexus shoots an acid splash at one of the lemures and misses somehow, the clumsy gloop of molten flesh somehow bending down just in front of the arcane missile.

Hep's vicious mockery is enough to cause another complete meltdown. The lemure starts shaking when it figures out the meaning of the words and it's head caves in like a souffle.

Only two lemures left in the fight. One of them still tries to hit Rexus but his stone-coloured skin offers him good enough protection that no major harm is done.
    The other one swings at Copper and her artificial body proves no less resistant.

Show

15 K'tak
    14 Copper
    8 Andvari
    5 Orion
    4 Rexus

Round 4
    21 Hep
    19 Devils

30. - Top - End - #270

SamuraiGuy

Orion

If any of the mud demons are left alive when he is able to act, Orion sends a mind blast at it. He then continues towards the door and makes sure nothing is coming down the stairs after them.

Show
    Mind Sliver: DC 13 Int save or (1d6)[1] psychic damage and minus (1d4)[3] on its next save.