New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Overpowered prestige classes?

Hi, I'd like to get some opinions on what some of the most overpowered / broken prestige classes are in 3.5, so I can ban them from an upcoming game where I won't have time to talk to the players about their characters before we start. I'm already considering throwing out Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil and Planar Shepard. What else do I need to be wary of?
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Overpowered prestige classes?

Not exactly a prestige class, but the feat "Vow of Poverty".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

As I understand it, Frenzied Beserker (Complete Warrior) is apparently very powerful.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    As I understand it, Frenzied Beserker (Complete Warrior) is apparently very powerful.
    With the notable drawback of killing the other PCs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Haha! VoP is weaksauce unless you're playing a druid.

Beware of the Incantatrix.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Abjurant Champion is arguably overpowered, although it has the disadvantage of requiring both caster and melee levels to get into it.

Shadowcraft mages and Hulking Hurlers are also usually broken.

Really, almost any prestige class that gives full casting progression without requiring a player to give up something significant in return (like taking a couple crappy feats, or losing good saves or secondary features of their primary class, or preferably some combination of the above).

You might also just not allow people to take prestige classes from Eberron/Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms books without clearing them with you, since those books are, on average, significantly less balanced than the standard non-setting-specific books.
    Last edited by CthulhuM; 2007-11-08 at 05:42 AM.
    Recent Homebrew Projects:
    The Somaturge - Base Class
    Reaper - Template.
    Modular Races - Rules variant

7. - Top - End - #7

The Planar Shepherd easily takes its place as one of the most broken PrCs in D&D. It's the lazy man's road to Pun Pun level power. Just by virtue of taking the prestige class in the "as intended" way and progressing in it normally, you attain ultimate potential. No optimization skill required. How something like that got printed is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pironious View Post
    Not only off-topic but not particularly true. Don't underestimate just how great equipment is. Equipment is pretty darn great. Yes, even for monks and the like. I find the feat more annoying than broken.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    If your definition of "very powerful" is "does way more damage than he ever needs to in order to eliminate enemies, and poses a rather large disadvantage to a party, while suffering from most of the failings of run-of-the-mill melee classes that can prevent them from landing an effective blow" then sure. Remember, though, that if an enemy has 500 hp, doing more than 500 hp of damage isn't going to actually help you at all, and that thousands of damage won't do any good at all if you can't land a hit. And that "efficiently and reliably dispatches enemies in a variety of situations with a minimal expenditure of resources" is a far better definition of very powerful. Blargh. Anyways, still a very problematic class to allow into a game, even if it's not all too hard to defeat.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-11-08 at 05:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Nebo_ View Post
    Haha! VoP is weaksauce unless you're playing a druid.
    Or a monk(you CAN make ones that don't suck). Or a sorcerer. Anything that can get by with only simple weapons and has armour restrictions benefits ridiculously from VoP. Wizard is an exception because they need a spellbook.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ur-Priest is pretty broken imo, it's way too easy to take one level in it and then go for another fullcasting PrC. Same deal with Beholder Mage, but without Polymorph Any Object cheese, it's not accessible to PCs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuM View Post
    Really, almost any prestige class that gives full casting progression without requiring a player to give up something significant in return (like taking a couple crappy feats, or losing good saves or secondary features of their primary class, or preferably some combination of the above).
    Agreed. Something-for-nothing classes are generally at least somewhat overpowered even if they aren't broken. Since casters have very few class features, they generally stand to lose less than other characters. (You'll never see a prestige class that grants full fighter bonus feats or sneak attack, 8 skill points, and other rogue special abilities, but full casting prestige classes are common.) See mild tangent below.

You might also just not allow people to take prestige classes from Eberron/Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms books without clearing them with you, since those books are, on average, significantly less balanced than the standard non-setting-specific books.
    I'm not sure about the other two (and I know Forgotten Realms has produced some bad ones), but most Ebberon prestige classes aren't all that strong, with the notable exception of the Planar Shepherd. But really, any prestige class should have to be cleared, even if the answer is usually "sure".

Tangent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously, caster prestige classes need to take away something in exchange for cool abilities. Losing more than one caster level is generally pretty harsh; unless it grant something good, it's normally not worth it. One caster level lost right at the start is generally a good balancing factor, and recently, a lot of classes work that way (Malconvoker, Nightmare Spinner; Unseen Seer and Spellwarp Sniper almost necessitate multiclassing, so they effectively have a lost caster level.)

The Initiate of the Unseen Veil is the worst offender here; it gives very powerful defensive abilities (with defense being of concern to fragile wizards) in exchange for... familiar progression. And three feats, two of which are prerequisites for the also-good Archmage (but note that the archmage requires you to give up spell slots, making it less of a something-for-nothing).

Oddly, one of the best-balanced arcane prestige classes (in my opinion) is a something-for-nothing: the alienist. It progresses familiar abilities (and gives new ones), and gives bonus feats. Prerequisites aren't too annoying since you're probably playing a summoner anyway.

What makes it balanced is that its class features (while very flavorful and generally useful) also have a bit of a drawback to them. Summoning pseudonatural creatures is awesome, but it means you can't summon demons and elementals anymore, limiting your summoning options. Bonuses to saves and HP come at the expense of your sanity.

It might just be that I like the class's idea, but it's always been one of my favorites.

Edit- If any of your PCs ever, ever asks to play a beholder mage...
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2007-11-08 at 06:00 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Dweomer Cheater, pardon, Keeper. (CD Web Enhancement)

Also, the Dervish is broken in the context of fighter prestige classes. (Not only broken but also absurd. All those dancing and grooving fighters suck.)

I haven't seen it in action, but ToB's Eternal Blade looks pretty cracked to me.

The Deepwarden isn't exactly broken but badly designed. After 2 levels you have everything the class is worth taking for. So if you want people to stick with one prestige class until it's finished, you might consider tweaking it.
    Everything's better with pirates.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuM View Post
    QFT. Eldritch Knight is the first that springs to mind, although it's not the worst.
    Asymmetrically shod ass-kicker of the fan club

Nice Guys: Read this.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

-Mark Twain

"Courage is not merely one of the virtues; rather, it is the form of every virtue at its testing point."

-C.S. Lewis

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Initiate of the Sevenfold Cheese.

I think most of the prestige classes that give you high-level spells (e.g. Nar Demonbinder, Sublime Chord, Ur-Priest and so forth) are rather open to abuse for that reason.

Ur-Priest is just silly from the flavor alone - if you were a god, would you let your power be siphoned off by some weak unbelieving mortal?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Ur-Priest is just silly from the flavor alone - if you were a god, would you let your power be siphoned off by some weak unbelieving mortal?
    But mere mortals are exceptionally gifted at doing it without the gods noticing. Because... uh... gods... are... uh...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Or a monk(you CAN make ones that don't suck). Or a sorcerer. Anything that can get by with only simple weapons and has armour restrictions benefits ridiculously from VoP. Wizard is an exception because they need a spellbook.
    Er. Vow of Poverty's bonuses are easily (more easily) duplicated and exceeded with magical items. This includes monks and sorcerors. The major reasons Druids can get away with it is because wild shape is powerful enough to make up for things; but even they can get use out of magical items.

Assuming your game's on wealth-by-level, the only time a VoP unit is comparable/superior to a non-VoP unit is when you've been stripped naked and are in jail.

Edit: Oh, and:

You know, that happened to the greek gods all the time - all the time. What, didn't some random guy walk into Olympus, grab fire, and spread it throughout the entire world before any of the gods noticed? ^_^
    Last edited by Kantolin; 2007-11-08 at 06:16 AM.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Any wizard, or sorcerer, cleric, or druid prestige classes excepting the mystic theruge that dont lose any casterlevels.

In short. If a full caster doesnt lose caster levels, its broken.
    Last edited by Goumindong; 2007-11-08 at 06:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

^^^
    Agreed with Kantolin up there.
    With Goumindong too, though classes that require you to take non-caster levels also qualify as non-overpowered (Arcane Trickster, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    QFT. Eldritch Knight is the first that springs to mind, although it's not the worst.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry, but no. Eldritch Knight requires you to gain 1 level in a non-casting class (or the Militia regional feat if you play FR, but you can take it only at first level) and you don't gain a caster level at the first class level. And everything you gain if you're a caster wizard is a slightly higher hit die and higher BAB, which is almost useless for a caster anyway. It's underpowered if anything. The class is made for gishes, who are weaker (aka - non-cheesy) than pure casters.
    Last edited by Tengu; 2007-11-08 at 06:30 AM.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Goumindong View Post
    Any wizard, or sorcerer, cleric, or druid prestige classes excepting the mystic theruge that dont lose any casterlevels.

In short. If a full caster doesnt lose caster levels, its broken.
    Mystic Theurge actually isn't an exception to the rule, for you see, he DOES lose caster levels. Just not in his actual PrC casting progression.
    Last edited by OneWinged4ngel; 2007-11-08 at 06:33 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OneWinged4ngel View Post
    Mystic Theurge actually isn't an exception to the rule, for you see, he DOES lose caster levels. Just not in his actual PrC casting progression.
    Yea, i forgot about the arcane trickster as well.

Eldrich Knight i dont like as a PRC because i think it does the Gish thing better than a Duskblade[albiet a bit later], and that is my baseline. On the other side, it does lose 2 caster levels or get the quickcast/touch spell attack actions like the duskblade does, so its a tossup.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    You know, that happened to the greek gods all the time - all the time. What, didn't some random guy walk into Olympus, grab fire, and spread it throughout the entire world before any of the gods noticed? ^_^
    I don't think Prometheus really counts as a "random guy", what with being a titan and all.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Goumindong View Post
    Yea, i forgot about the arcane trickster as well.

Eldrich Knight i dont like as a PRC because i think it does the Gish thing better than a Duskblade[albiet a bit later], and that is my baseline. On the other side, it does lose 2 caster levels or get the quickcast/touch spell attack actions like the duskblade does, so its a tossup.
    Duskblade/A Real Caster does gish better than Duskblade too, IIRC. Heh.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Radiant Servant of Pelor is pretty high on the PrC power scale.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Ultimate Magus combined with Nar Demonbinder pretty easy to enter FRCS ( Sublime Chord a little harder) to fuel quickened meta. A great deal more meta than a comparable level caster.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Need I tell you what happened to him?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Need I tell you what happened to him?
    RIAA sued him?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Major View Post
    I haven't seen it in action, but ToB's Eternal Blade looks pretty cracked to me.
    Eternal Blade is meh. The only ToB PrC you need to watch out for is Ruby Knight Vindicator. Spending a turn attempt to recover a maneuver or get a swift action can lead to some very broken things.

27. - Top - End - #27

Agreed - any god who let's his power be stolen by a mortal deserves to have it stolen, for he is a wuss!

The trick with balancing caster PrCs is to make them give up something, but it can't be too much, because then they won't bother with the class and just stick with their base class. If I were a wizard, I'd rather keep being a wizard than take a PrC that loses me a CL, or access to a school of magic, or something like that. Unless the benefits of that PrC were enough to make up for it, which they normally aren't. The problem with wizards is that they don't HAVE anything you can take away except spellcasting ability... You can't take away their armour, their BAB, their skill points or their HP, for they don't have any of that. I guess you can take away some class skills, their familiar or their bonus feats - and most existing fullcasting PrCs do some or all of those. However, that's not enough to balance most of them, so the solution is usually to make them require a couple of sucky feats like the MotAO does.

Did that make any sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

I'd vote for Incantatrix and Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil as overpowered -- other than requiring picking up a feat or two that you otherwise would not need, there seems to be virtually no reason to not take one of these classes once you qualify for them; and that spells "overpowered" to me.
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2007-11-08 at 08:37 AM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

29. - Top - End - #29

Prometheus was a Titan. A Titan! Not any mere mortal. The titans were so powerful, all the gods had to team up to imprison them, and the process helped create the earth as we know it today.
    Last edited by daggaz; 2007-11-08 at 08:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Blue Fenix, there is no such thing as a broken PrC. No matter how much damage the class does or what its effects are, you have the ultimate balancing factor as a GM:

If the PCs can do it, so can the bad guys.

And-

What the GM says, goes.

Instead of banning PrCs, just allow the players to play what they want and balance the encounters against them accordingly. They have a Leaping Charging Power Attacking Two-Handed fighter doing 500+ points of damage per hit? So does their first main encounter, and guaranteed none of the PCs have 500 HP or enough DR to handle it. TPK? Oh well, they have to live with the balance they created for themselves.
    Last edited by Not Dice; 2007-11-08 at 11:07 AM.