New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DEATH BATTLE - Season 8: Settling the debate once and for all?

Spoiler: This time
    Show
    I do hate going by what is said vs what is shown, particularly since without that, I don't know if Star would win. Still Star did have a ton of things she could do, and it seems like Steven simply didn't have a lot of ways to actually fight back without fusions.

Spoiler: Next time
    Show
    Alright. Well, much like last time this will depend almost entirely on what version of Link and what version of Cloud is being used.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

No comment on this time,
    Spoiler: next time
    Show
    Im wondering if this is being done because of all the whining people like me have done about how cloud got robbed of all his powerful gear while link got tons of stuff. If so, I expect them to give cloud most of his other stuff and have him lose anyways due to some technicality. They seem to enjoy the "Fine, here, see how it didnt matter to our original ruling?" type responses when they do a rematch.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh, next week is going to get spicy.

Spoiler: Next time...
    Show
    A rematch. THAT rematch. Death Battle rarely does rematches, Superman vs. Goku II being the main one, but Link vs. Cloud I had a lot of early series weirdness to the method, so it is a good one to pick up.

Question is, what did each character get since the last one? Link, obviously, got Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. Cloud got Final Fantasy VII Remake. He did not star in Kingdom Hearts III.

Clearly the most scientific way to settle this is to run 1000 Link vs. Cloud matches in Super Smash Bros Ultimate and call the winner from that.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    Oh, next week is going to get spicy.

Spoiler: Next time...
    Show
    A rematch. THAT rematch. Death Battle rarely does rematches, Superman vs. Goku II being the main one, but Link vs. Cloud I had a lot of early series weirdness to the method, so it is a good one to pick up.

Question is, what did each character get since the last one? Link, obviously, got Breath of the Wild and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity. Cloud got Final Fantasy VII Remake. He did not star in Kingdom Hearts III.

Clearly the most scientific way to settle this is to run 1000 Link vs. Cloud matches in Super Smash Bros Ultimate and call the winner from that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically, 2 amibos duking it out, not human players.

IIRC, Hyrule Warriors Link can literally swing the planet around as part of one of his chain attacks. That doesn't bode well for Cloud, even if they rule it as just lifting and swinging all of the terrain that can be seen on screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Cloud is decisively weaker if we assume they use the remake version of him, both because he's at the first part of what's likely to be a trilogy and because the mechanics of the remake are designed to work in real-time combat like an action game with less emphasis on size and spectacle and more on flowing through animations quickly and functioning on screen simultaneously.

Which is why unless they fundamentally change their logic for how they're implementing the combatants into the battle I don't see why the results should change from before.

Still, maybe this is one of those battles intended to subvert expectations. Between him and Tifa, FF characters haven't won in DB as far as I'm aware.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically,2 amibos duking it out, not human players.

IIRC, Hyrule Warriors Link can literally swing the planet around as part of one of his chain attacks. That doesn't bode well for Cloud, even if they rule it as just lifting and swinging all of the terrain that can be seen on screen.
    That is OG Hyrule Warriors, not Age of Calamity, and the first one is explicitly non-canon. The other is
    Spoiler: spoiler
    Show
    in its own little timeline that Nintendo is under no obligation to continue, making it effectively non-canon
    Including OG Hyrule Warriors feats would be the same as including feats from Smash Bros or Mario Kart for Link.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Knowing DB... They will probably just use some BS logic to justify the original result...

"Link has infinity strength, you guys! His narrative is to always the strongest warrior!"

...Even if both of those facts are verifiably untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Specifically, 2 amibos duking it out, not human players.

It'd be particularly egregious if they used this as an excuse, considering they straight up ignored Tifa's strength because "it's just a property of that one attack".
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-05-31 at 09:14 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

8. - Top - End - #368
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Still, maybe this is one of those battles intended to subvert expectations. Between him and Tifa, FF characters haven't won in DB as far as I'm aware.
    Sephiroth won his, and boy, did that piss off the Devil May Cry fans. The whole episode, when thinking back on it, is stupid. Vergil is beyond faster, but Sephy has experience fighting people faster than him so it didn't matter? What the actual fu...cough. Sephy healing makes sense. He fused with the Earth basically and did have infinite mana as a technicality. Though every iteration of him outside of when he's playable in 7 is coded to just have infinite mana. Or more specifically, have zero cost spells. Meteor though, is a dumb spell that they REALLY went ham on when they knew it made no sense. Regardless, this next fight is going to be every version of Link cause this is after the point where that weird nonsense happened where every Link gains everything the previous one did or some such garbage, vs 7 remake Cloud who is quite CLEARLY brought down to normalish people standards. Calling it now.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Firbolg in the Playground

Remake may actually help Cloud.

Consider Punisher mode and Counterstance.

Go ahead Link. Hit him.

10. - Top - End - #370

I have no dog in this next fight. I've played one Zelda game, and I only know Cloud from Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia NT. That said, the latest Link has access to a hammer that can ragdoll an enemy in seconds. All he has to do is slap Cloud with it four times and hope a cliff is nearby.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Sephiroth won his, and boy, did that piss off the Devil May Cry fans.
    Oh, I vaguely recall that happening now.

Regardless, this next fight is going to be every version of Link cause this is after the point where that weird nonsense happened where every Link gains everything the previous one did or some such garbage, vs 7 remake Cloud who is quite CLEARLY brought down to normalish people standards. Calling it now.
    Which is the suspicious part. Or sus, as the kids say.

What has actually changed between then and now with these two properties that would in any way alter their stance? Either...

1. They have new writers tackling this and their views differ from those who did the original.
    2. They see something in remake Cloud that's worthy of drawing new conclusions.

Otherwise, why bother? This isn't like the Goku v. Superman battle, Cloud hasn't gone Super SOLDIER God Super SOLDIER since or anything. His peak powers were and are still late game original FF7 and maybe Dissidia if you really wanted to stretch things.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    Remake may actually help Cloud.

Consider Punisher mode and Counterstance.

Go ahead Link. Hit him.
    FF7 Cloud already had Counter as a Materia, which if min-maxed can be pretty insane. In fact most of original Cloud's capabilities can be ludicrously OP if you game the system to some degree and just plain stupid broken if you actually know all the mechanics and how to exploit them.

12. - Top - End - #372

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Otherwise, why bother? This isn't like the Goku v. Superman battle, Cloud hasn't gone Super SOLDIER God Super SOLDIER since or anything. His peak powers were and are still late game original FF7 and maybe Dissidia if you really wanted to stretch things.
    I think it’s exactly what Traab said. It’s going to be a “here’s all your stuff but it doesn’t matter cause you still lose” situation. Using remake Cloud at this point is dumb, specifically cause he’s clearly not done with his own game, and as an aside, materia in remake is either new or just don’t work like it used to.

13. - Top - End - #373

I think it’s exactly what Traab said. It’s going to be a “here’s all your stuff but it doesn’t matter cause you still lose” situation. Using remake Cloud at this point is dumb, specifically cause he’s clearly not done with his own game, and as an aside, materia in remake is either new or just don’t work like it used to.
    Yeah I half expect them to give him all his materia, use the current "canon" version of it to establish its power level, then ignore everything else they dont want to acknowledge. Then go "Here, we gave him all his materia, he lost, you happy?" I will admit though that its hard to use the original ff7 game to establish too much in the way of how his abilities transfer over. For example, we can see him survive the leading edge of a supernova as a pretty hardcore durability feat, but for offensive damage, the vast majority of it is just seeing 9999 over and over again. At least with tifa we can see her pick up the biggest monster in the game and suplex it for her finishing move to estimate the strength required to do such a thing and by extension her punching power. Cloud though? Not so much. Spell effects and summons can sometimes do more, bahumut zero for example is basically an orbital laser, and you can estimate how much explosive fire a flare spell unleashes. But in general, its hard to really put a number on his strength and damage dealing potential as he rarely obliterates mountain ranges.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I haven't played 7 Remake, but does Cloud get any bigger durability feats than falling off Midgar into Aerith's church yet? There's a lot of weird interactions going around, but hitting a wooden roof and possibly terminal velocity is good, hard numbers for what won't be enough to kill him.

Also I'm thinking that BoTW Link having those slate runes is going to be a factor. That Buster Sword looks awfully magnetic is what I'm saying.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    I haven't played 7 Remake, but does Cloud get any bigger durability feats than falling off Midgar into Aerith's church yet? There's a lot of weird interactions going around, but hitting a wooden roof and possibly terminal velocity is good, hard numbers for what won't be enough to kill him.

Also I'm thinking that BoTW Link having those slate runes is going to be a factor. That Buster Sword looks awfully magnetic is what I'm saying.
    To be frank, it doesn't have to be. Link can just use Stasis to go ZA WARUDO!! on Cloud and beat the brakes off him so hard he launches into the Blood Moon or whatever. There isn't a single shred of evidence Cloud can survive reentry, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's like Amazon.com around here; free 2-day shipping on all orders no matter how trivial.
    Quote Originally Posted by u/s_SoNick
    Dr Mog: Hey, spiffy new threads you got there Tyro.

Tyro: Pie jesu domine smacks book against forehead Dona eis requiem

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jurai View Post
    To be frank, it doesn't have to be. Link can just use Stasis to go ZA WARUDO!! on Cloud and beat the brakes off him so hard he launches into the Blood Moon or whatever. There isn't a single shred of evidence Cloud can survive reentry, after all.
    Cloud is likely strong enough to only be frozen for a moment though.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I suspect a lot of them didn't give much of a toss either way. You need to be either cynical or crazy to assassinate people for a living, for the most part, and the Morag Tong don't want the latter.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah I half expect them to give him all his materia, use the current "canon" version of it to establish its power level, then ignore everything else they dont want to acknowledge. Then go "Here, we gave him all his materia, he lost, you happy?" I will admit though that its hard to use the original ff7 game to establish too much in the way of how his abilities transfer over. For example, we can see him survive the leading edge of a supernova as a pretty hardcore durability feat, but for offensive damage, the vast majority of it is just seeing 9999 over and over again. At least with tifa we can see her pick up the biggest monster in the game and suplex it for her finishing move to estimate the strength required to do such a thing and by extension her punching power. Cloud though? Not so much. Spell effects and summons can sometimes do more, bahumut zero for example is basically an orbital laser, and you can estimate how much explosive fire a flare spell unleashes. But in general, its hard to really put a number on his strength and damage dealing potential as he rarely obliterates mountain ranges.
    Power scaling in FF and many rpgs are basically broken and nonsense. Stuff like Supernova actually being as powerful as a supernova is nonsensical because we know that their in story durability is far less than that. Added to the fact that if Sephiroth could do stuff like that, then the entire point in summoning Meteor would be invalidated. Making the entire story of the game make zero sense.

He needs the black materia to summon Meteor because it's the only way Sephiroth has enough power to threaten the planet.

Also Cait Sith can survive Supernova. Does that mean mass produced Moogle suit robots can suvive solar system level destruction?

Also you get stuff like Tifa picking up giant monsters because her attack animations have her pick up whatever's there. Outside of combat she's strong but nowhere near that, as evidenced by her not being able to get out of handcuffs, or a cell on her own.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2021-06-04 at 10:49 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

I still maintain that Tifa's slap fight should've been one hit sending her opponent out of bounds.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    I still maintain that Tifa's slap fight should've been one hit sending her opponent out of bounds.
    It goes back to Sabin suplexing Doom Train. It's just a matter of game mechanics, not what the characters can actually do.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

So you're arguing Tifa, a trained martial artist, is as strong as an untrained noblewoman?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    So you're arguing Tifa, a trained martial artist, is as strong as an untrained noblewoman?
    Martial arts tend to be more about skill than strength. Strength certainly helps, but you don't need to be a bodybuilder or anything. Avoiding it turning into a contest of strength is kind of the point of martial arts, after all.

Besides, Tifa isn't exactly a hulking muscular giant woman.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Besides, Tifa isn't exactly a hulking muscular giant woman.
    I don't know, she's got some pretty fabulous abulouses.

Not six-pack or anything but looking at her character model in the remake makes it look like there is no excess fat on her midsection and, judging from her proportions, the same holds true for her limbs.

She has exactly the optimal build for the kind of martial arts she's specced in.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #384

So link blurb is up and its basically, "Since the lore says link is reborn in each game, we are justified in giving him whatever combo of abilities we want even if they never, EVER show up all in the same game. Also the strongest version of each weapon because at this point, why not?"

Next week. "Cloud gets his sword. Even though his equipment list potentially dwarfs that of link and can be found in one game, we only will let him have his starter gear and materia. Because thats what is iconic about him. What do you mean links iconic gear is the master sword and his shield? Shut up."

25. - Top - End - #385

BlackDragon

Link Blurp up. As expected, its all Links. Depending on how they rule that obliteration arrow Cloud could technically walk it off. But they tossed in as a casual feat lava walking. Looks to be heading about where I thought it would.

26. - Top - End - #386

Next week. "Cloud gets his sword. Even though his equipment list potentially dwarfs that of link and can be found in one game, we only will let him have his starter gear and materia. Because thats what is iconic about him. What do you mean links iconic gear is the master sword and his shield? Shut up."
    So, basically exactly what they did the first time, except with shiny new graphics? I dunno, would Death Battle really do that with a rematch? It seems so uncharacteristic of them.

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    So, basically exactly what they did the first time, except with shiny new graphics? I dunno, would Death Battle really do that with a rematch? It seems so uncharacteristic of them.
    Goku versus superman 2 not only failed to correct mistakes and obvious bias from the first time, but ended with them making up a narrative reason based on cherry picked facts for why Goku can never beet Superman.

They can, have, and most certainly will in the future.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #388

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Ive got the sinking feeling this entire thing is a retread being done because of the remake of ff7 being out. Like we might get slightly different numbers based on how the new game plays but thats about it.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

So link blurb is up and its basically, "Since the lore says link is reborn in each game, we are justified in giving him whatever combo of abilities we want even if they never, EVER show up all in the same game. Also the strongest version of each weapon because at this point, why not?"

It's not that it's iconic. It's that it's canonically what he uses. Buster Sword is his canon sword for the entire events of FF7 Everything else is just stuff for applying new numbers to the game but don't do anything.

30. - Top - End - #390

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    It's not that it's iconic. It's that it's canonically what he uses. Buster Sword is his canon sword for the entire events of FF7 Everything else is just stuff for applying new numbers to the game but don't do anything.
    Except it wasn't. Buster Sword wasn't even Cloud's signature weapon (it was Zack's, and if you REALLY want to delve into the lore of it, Angeal's) and was ditched before even leaving Midgar. Advent Children doubled down on that with his Fusion Sword, since the Buster was supposed to be a memento of his memory of Zack ( who himself got it from Angeal) as well as a Symbol of Honor (for Angeal specifically). Its iconic, but its as canon to Cloud's arsenal as his hairpin accessory from Final Fantasy Tactics (which IS canon for Cloud, but I don't think he had that many feats in Tactics), which is to say, its something he used but it wasn't the only thing he used.