New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

"Looks like the owner of this place was a prolific writer. I wonder if one of those books contains an explanation or instructions on how to use this place. Also she seems to have a weakness for magical critters."
    Kynos remarked after looking at the books and paintings.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Ten long minutes pass as Lady Runa casts her ritual. Patricia grabs a book at random from the shelf as the spell is being cast. At the end of ten minutes, Runa's last few arcane symbols come out as a series of meows, or at least that is what the party hears. The fluffy black cat, entranced by your motions and ritualistic actions, ***** its head to the side at these last few words, which must have been translated, but still arcane nonsense. "What manner of speech is this? What an odd creature you are."

Spoiler: Patricia
    Show

The book you grabbed seems to be a memoir of Fistandia, it covers a twenty year period which ended about thirty years ago. From the book you learn Fistandia was a powerful mage as well as a priest of Mystra. She frequented Candlekeep to further her studies. In exchange for Fistandia’s pious service and achievements in expanding the arts of magic, Mystra granted Fistandia a permanent extradimensional mansion for her to reside in when studying in Candlekeep.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Runa chuckles at the cat's initial response. Typical cat, she thinks. She takes a small morsel of jerky from her pack and kneels down to get closer to eye level with the cat and offers the jerky while saying, "Hello there my friend. My name is Runa. I was hoping to ask you what you could tell us about this place."

She then turns to the others and asks, "Do we have any specific questions?"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The cat paces around the room, investigating each party member one at a time, but giving Patricia a wide berth. "This is our home, many generations of our great lineage have lived here. It is said in my great-grandfather's time a kind one brought us to this place of safety and comfort, but I have never seen such a creature. Only the servants, scale cats, and the shapeless one remain."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

"You could ask the cat if there are any other dangers here, besides animated objects."
    Kynos replied, looking curious at the interaction between Runa and the cat, not sure how intelligent the spell made the animal.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia fills in the others with what she’d learned about Fistandia and Mystra granting the mansion. “Quite a boon!”

To the cat, she has Runa ask about the scale cats - “what are those? Are they upstairs?”

She fidgets a little if she sees Eleazar eyeing her at all, and when reading she holds the book up close to her face so as to hide behind it.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar chimes in, "And what about 'the shapeless one'? Could that be a doppelganger? If so, we should stick very close together and not let anyone go off alone."

Ignoring Grand Wizard Patricia's seeming discomfort, the librarian holds up the ring he fetched from the cushion of the armchair and asks her, "Do you see anything identifying about this? It's abjurative, but that's all I can tell -- I don't have the kind of magic needed to pin down what it does."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"The scale cats live in the room at the end of the hallway. They are a pest and nuisance that do not respect our noble bloodline, so we ignore them in turn.
    As for the shapeless one, we do not know it's location. It attracts from random hiding locations, and has killed some of my kind, including my grandfather. Ending his reignof terror would be greatly rewarded."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"What is a 'doppleganger'?" Runa asks Eleazar.

Turning back to the cat she says, "We come from a place outside of here. Do you think any of your friends would like to leave this place? I'm not sure if we would be able to bring them back in here after we leave though."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Looking very tense at the idea, Eleazar answers, "One that wears the shape of another. A doppelganger loves nothing more than to take your appearance and memories and then use them to ruin your life. And as bad as that seems, it's no worse than the distrust they create simply by existing. Anyone except the most powerful --" He glances at Patricia. "Can become a victim of a doppelganger if they're alone for a few minutes, so if you worry about doppelgangers, you worry about every person around you. Nasty business."

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

"So, a good reason to stay together and slay all dangers before we do anything else." Kynos agreed.
    "Alright, let's do this then - room by room - and a password for emergencies. Come closer."
    In a whisper he said: "Vigil"
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-07-17 at 08:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa makes a little grimace at the explanation of a doppleganger, as it's quite unpleasant. She gives a nod that she understood after leaning in to hear the password.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia repeats the passphrase to herself as well. She looks at the ring that Eleazar offers but just shrugs. "I'm not sure I've seen one like that before. We can sleep on it." She searches around the room for any other trinkets or such that could be of interest before the party moves on.

She aloofly thanks the cat for its information, also.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar asks the assembled, "Does anyone want to wear the ring until we can get it identified?" Another glance at Patricia. What sort of Grand Wizard wouldn't bring along at least a couple valuable pearls for identifying odd magicks encountered while traveling? Not that he knew any Grand Wizards personally, but being prepared seems like part of the position. "Abjuration magic is very likely to be safe, if you're worried about cursed items."

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Oh, no, I don't see why this Fistandia would have cursed things lying about, so I'm not too worried. I didn't prepare any spell to identify things today, as it hadn't crossed my mind that we'd be wandering through a magical mansion finding things. I'm happy to put it on for the moment, if you like - though of course Fistandia may want it back at some point."

Patricia yawns with some exasperation. "I can't see anything else of interest here, anyhow, we should move along. With this cat here it's a good thing my species doesn't sneeze easily. Can you imagine an ancient red dragon sneezing? Now that'd be something."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The party prepares to move to the next room down the hallway while Patricia does a quick second scan of the study. Not seeing anything the group leaves and heads down the hallway, you pass a the entry foyer where this adventure began on your right, and the staircase upstairs to the left. The next doorway on your left is also ajar, as the doorway to the study was. The aromas of cooking permeate this kitchen. A large iron stove takes up one wall, and the rest of the room is filled with large tables and racks lined with hanging pots, pans, and cooking utensils. Everything is sparkling clean. With a flapping of wings, two small forms land on the nearest table. They bow low before you and ask, “How can we be of help to our honored guests? Cooking? Cleaning? Mending your clothes, perhaps?”

Spoiler: Creature
    Show

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Last edited by munimortal; 2021-07-18 at 10:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    The party prepares to move to the next room down the hallway while Patricia does a quick second scan of the study. Not seeing anything the group leaves and heads down the hallway, you pass a the entry foyer where this adventure began on your right, and the staircase upstairs to the left. The next doorway on your left is also ajar, as the doorway to the study was. The aromas of cooking permeate this kitchen. A large iron stove takes up one wall, and the rest of the room is filled with large tables and racks lined with hanging pots, pans, and cooking utensils. Everything is sparkling clean. With a flapping of wings, two small forms land on the nearest table. They bow low before you and ask, “How can we be of help to our honored guests? Cooking? Cleaning? Mending your clothes, perhaps?”
    "Do you know, I am feeling peckish, so a snack sounds wonderful. Cucumber sandwiches? A cheese plate? Some sort of baked ham?" Patricia gestures around to the others, adding with a smile, "That should be enough for me, I imagine. What would you all like?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

"Greetings. I'm Sir Kynos of Falkenstein and these are my companions" Kynos intoned, nodding his head at the creatures. "Though I thank you for your hospitality, I'd like to know first who you are and whom you are beholden to."
    His voice was neutral, but there was a slight tension to his shoulders that revealed that he didn't take this friendly reception quite at face value.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight

(1d20)[7]+1

Religion to identify the creature?
    (1d20)[1]+3

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa gives a little chuckle at Patricia's dragon sneezing jape.

And when she puts in her food request, Runa just rolls along with it as it's fairly amusing to her, "That all sounds lovely, but I could really go for a croissant and a slice of cake as well." Though by the end she can't keep the amused smile off her face.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

As you traveled down the hallway, the black fully cat followed you towards the kitchen. "Leave? Why would we leave our home? There is plenty of food, we are catered to by servants, and it is no more dangerous here than anywhere else I assume. What does the world outside of this luxury offer that would cause us to want to go from here?"

As you enter the kitchen, the cat weaves by your legs and heads to one corner where six ornately decorated bowls lie on the floor. It joins another cat, a large orange tabby, and begins to eat voraciously from one of the bowls. It pauses momentarily to say to the new cat, "New servants have arrived, they are curious, and the large one with scales seems particularly oafish." Almost as fast as the cat eats, one of the two creatures pours food into the bowl. The other begins preparing the food ordered by Patricia.

"My name is Cumin, and this is my good friend Coriander, good masters. We are the loyal servants of Fistandia and Freyot. It has been some time since we have had the pleasure of serving, and anything we can do for you would make us very happy." The two creatures are basically tripping over each other trying to prepare the food, while also observing your clothing for tears or dirt.

Spoiler: Sir Kynos
    Show
    The creatures seems sincere in their efforts, and while you have the feeling you should know what these creatures are, maybe your travels or this strange place, their identity eludes you.
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-07-20 at 02:31 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

"Pleased to meet you." Kynos relaxed, their answer seemed plausible enough.
    "In that case I'd be happy with a sandwich or something."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Oh I don't know. I can't promise the world outside will be as safe or comfortable as it is here. But it offers more space, new mates, and plenty of things to hunt. I can understand if you personally aren't interested, but maybe one of your friends might be. It would be kind of you to at least offer them the opportunity." Runa replies to the cat and then turns back in some surprise to see food actually being prepared.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar stands with his mouth like the doorways -- hanging open, but not all the way -- astonished by the activity and the various creatures' unusual perspectives. He waves off the offer of food or other aid. Certainly he's heard tales of powerful magics that create whatever food the caster desires, but he's also heard of fey creatures that use magical food to trap or corrupt the unwary. Thinking Patricia might qualify as 'unwary' here, he quickly slips her the abjuration ring in the hopes that it will ward off any negative effects.

Current games list

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Within minutes, the two creatures have the sandwiches prepared, a small plate of cucumber sandwiches, a large meat sandwich with fresh tomatoes and lettuce, and also a large cheese plate with several forms of cured meats. Cumin and coriander have what appears to be a quick argument, which Coriander seems to win. It goes through a door to the back of the kitchen, which leads to what looks like a pantry. The small creature returns with sacks of flour, sugar and eggs, and beings whipping up a batter.

As he does this Cumin, sulks, for just a moment, but then returns it's attention to the party. "Perhaps I can get you drinks as well?" It asks with severe earnest. "But forgive me, we have learned Lord Kynos' name, but none of your names my lords and ladies. What brings you to Fistandia's mansion? Do you travel ahead of her? It has been some time since we have seen her, or Lord Freyot."

Spoiler: Lady Runa
    Show

In between mouthfuls of chicken, or possibly tuna, the two cats seem to be discussing your offer of freedom from this place. The two cats in the kitchen seem to be dismissive of the idea, but make insulting comments about the weak and slow brothers and sisters wanting out from their domain. From what you can gather, these two seems to be the most dominate of the cats in the house, or at least that is what they say.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    "Perhaps I can get you drinks as well?" It asks with severe earnest. "But forgive me, we have learned Lord Kynos' name, but none of your names my lords and ladies. What brings you to Fistandia's mansion? Do you travel ahead of her? It has been some time since we have seen her, or Lord Freyot."
    "Thank you, sir Cumin. I am Patricia Stratton. I am also curious - how long has it been, more precisely, since you've seen Fistandia? We are currently stuck here as her guests, I suppose. If you know a way to open the door that would be most kind. Otherwise it feels more confining."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar watches the oddly-shaped servants carefully for their response when Patricia hints that the group might not be willing guests.

Spoiler: I don't want to miss one little social detail!
    Show
    But the dice might have other ideas, of course. Insight: (d20+4)[9]

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

"You could say we are friends of her friends. You wouldn't happen to know how we can open the portal to leave again?"
    Kynos asked without much hope.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"My apologies Cumin, Coriander. I am Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. And yes, some beverages would do nicely." she replies and then begins politely eating while keep an eye (and ear) on the cats.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Cumin begins preparing drinks, whatever was ordered, in a very performative manner. While he prepares, he begins to answer your many questions. "My Lady has been gone for many years, at least 70. She has disappeared for long times before, usually while in her planetarium, but never this long. Sadly we do not know how to leave this place, my mistress has only commanded us to maintain this place, look after her cats, and specimen, and to never touch the books with letters on their spines. But you should be safe here, my lady keeps a comfortable home, and you are most welcome to stay and learn until she returns."

Spoiler: Eleazar
    Show
    The offer seems sincere and you do not detect any anger or unhappiness about your arrival being without invitation.

Spoiler: Lady Runa
    Show
    The cats have finished eating and the orange tabby wanders over your way. "I hear you have been given a quest to rid us of our greatest foe. If you accomplish this feat, you will be rewarded as the greatest of our servants."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Ah wonderful." Runa replies to the cat, mentally rolling her eyes at the typical "servant" thing. Then she goes back to enjoying the food and drink.