New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

Patricia comments that we have the R and E books now. She looks somewhat enviously at the robes but keeps her hands to herself this time.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-08-26 at 12:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Before Lady Runa finishes the ritual, the black cat awakens from its slumber. It stretches a full body stretch, then hops down from the scarlet easy chair. It bobs and weaves between each of your legs, stopping to give each of you a momentary rub, and small mew. After completing its first circle, it settles on Lady Runa, playfully batting at the arcane instruments being used for the ritual. When the ritual is complete, Lady Runa gives her greeting, and in response the cat answers, "OMG! Hi, who, like, are you?"

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Runa chuckles a little at the cat's response and replies, "My name is Runa. Do you have a name little one? And can you tell us about this place? We've come across more than a few pieces of living furniture that seem very aggressive and we're a bit concerned about things like that."

While she talks Runa squats down and tries to give the friendly cat some pets.

Spoiler
    Show

Valley girl cat. I love it.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I am Princess! I am so, like, totally stoked to meet you! That shapeless one is a real bummer. It killed my boyfriend, well he wasn't really like my boyfriend, he was my sister's boyfriend, but she was totally getting bored of him, plus I think he only started dating him to get closer to me. So we hung out a few times, went to kitchen, and the garden, really everywhere. He was so cute, he tried getting one of the flying lizards, but like totally missed. Those things are really lame, they are sooooo mean. I one saw them grab old grampa Greyfur by the tail, so bogus. Princess kinda trails off for a minute, then continues, "Oh right! OMG so sorry the Shapeless one! It never comes up here, so this is where I like to sleep and be alone. Plus that star room is super pretty."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Nice to meet you Princess. The star room is very pretty, yes." Runa replies with a nod. She then describes the mimic they dealt with earlier and asks, "Is that the 'shapeless one' you mean? Or is it something else?"

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"That is totally it! Stay away, it is suuuuper dangerous!"

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Well, we've already slain it. But thank you for your warning Princess. Do you know of any other dangers?" Runa replies. While she awaits the answer, she informs the others that "the shapeless one" was indeed the mimic.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar nods, with a grin on his face at Runa's words to the cat. Then he returns his attention to searching the dresser in detail, since Princess doesn't seem to mind him doing so.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

"Can you ask if there are more of those mimics around here, or was that the only one. And where they came from. I can't imagine the owner wanted those to roam around here free. Maybe there is a zoo here where they should be kept."

Kynos asked Runa after receiving the translation.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"Eww, more than one of them? As if! That terrible thing has no friends that I know of, but us cats are not allowed everywhere in the house. Perhaps there are more in the basement, but I, like, don't know how to get there."

Eleazar finds more fine clothing in the second drawer, of similar design as the robes, but more utilitarian, and thicker, perhaps for colder climates. In the bottom drawer however is a very stylish, black leather case shaped like a lute, with white gold grommets, and a jeweled clasp holding it closed.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Well, thank you for all your help Princess!" Runa replies to the cat and gives her more pats. To the others she says, "Princess here says their aren't any others that they know about. But there might be some in the basement, but they don't know how to get down there. Though I don't know if that means we're clear on any territorial funishings, since I can't imagine those bothered the cats to begin with or they probably would have mentioned. And the bookcase would have been just full of claw marks."

"Have you found anything interesting?" she asks, having been fairly occupied with Princess.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

"Interesting indeed!" Eleazar holds up the black case, then puts it on the bed and works the clasp to open it (slowly, in case it's somehow trapped). "If the case itself is this fancy, think what's inside! ..."

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

As the room seemed to be safe, Kynos relaxed and began looking around himself. He refrained from picking anything up. Having taken the shield was already a bit more forward than his honor should have allowed. The immediate danger for the group had made it necessary - and he certainly would have to atone, should it get damaged before he could give it back to its owner. For now he just kept his eyes and ears open.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    To the others she says, "Princess here says their aren't any others that they know about. But there might be some in the basement, but they don't know how to get down there."
    Patricia says, "Hmm, we didn't see any way down to the basement either. Maybe when we're done here we can ask Cumin."

She stands back slightly as Eleazar opens the case, though she's curious about its contents, too.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm back from a week vacation so my posting frequency should go back up now, hehe.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Sir Kynos gives the room another look over, nothing seems threatening here. The bed looks extremely sturdy and well made, and the while the curtains block most of the bed, in the gaps you can see silken sheets on what looks like a very comfortable mattress. The doorway features a glass window which shows the balcony outside. It overlooks the gardens below, and has two comfortable chairs and a small table between them, but there does not appear to be anything on any of the furniture outside. The indigo miasma however seems to be even more oppressive and seems to press in from the sky.

Eleazar unlocks the case with a satisfying click. When opened, the case is lined in a padded green velvet. Lying in the case is a beautiful dark oaken lute. While not extremely ornate it seems to be very well crafted.

Spoiler: Lute
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Ah, how lovely!" Runa softly exclaims. "I wonder if it's still in tune. Do you mind if I give it a look?" she asks.

Spoiler
    Show

If it's handed to her, she does indeed check if it's in tune and look it over for anything in particular she might note about it. Let me know if there's a check I should make.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

"Very nice," Eleazar says with respect as he gently hands the lute to Lady Runa.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #378
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Lady Runa takes the lute from Eleazar, and it immediately feels right in her hands. Just looking at it, she knows this is "Doss Lute" one of the Seven Instruments of the Bard. The weight is perfect, the wood is soft but supple. She strums a simple cord to see if it is in tune, and it is, a wonderfully perfect cord sings out into the bedroom, and then pain, sharp almost unbearable pain, like the worst headache she can imagine. Lady Runa then remembers a bit of old folklore about the instruments requiring attunement before being played, a prank bards would play on drunk hecklers, and musical foes.

Spoiler: Runa OOC
    Show

Runa takes (2d4)[8] psychic damage.

Lute Stats

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 2/10

Runa falls to one knee, clutching the lute in one hand and her head with the other. "Ow ow ow ow ow." Shakily she slowly stands back up and says somewhat weakly, "Well I know what it is now. This is no merely well made instrument, this is a thing of true beauty. I know this place is magical, but I am still astounded we found this here. This is the Doss Lute and..." She pauses to catch her breath. "Well, if you all wouldn't mind could I keep this?"

Spoiler
    Show

Someone please heal me, thanks.

Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-09-04 at 01:42 AM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Should we rest for a while?" asks Patricia. She comes over to Runa to be comforting but can't actually heal anything. She looks admiringly at the lute, but adds, "Sometimes it is the pretty things that are the most dangerous."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

"Another rest in the kitchen? Well, maybe not the worst idea if just strumming a lute can kill or maim you here."
    Kynos replied.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar looks at Runa oddly. "You're sure you want to hang on to that, given how badly it just hurt you? Is it possible you're under an enchantment or curse?"

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"A rest would be lovely. And no dear, it's not cursed or anything like that. It's just a.... choosy instrument and hasn't had the time to get to know and accept me yet. Though if it makes you feel better you could have Patricia look me over. I'm sure she would, of course, notice anything of the sort you're worried about." Runa replies.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos led the group back to the kitchen, so they could triage and give Runa a chance to get the lute under control.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The trip back to the kitchen is quick and uneventful. As soon as you enter, Cumin and Coriander are once again tripping over themselves to serve anything requested. They pay particular care to Lady Runa whom they can see is in need of aid. Two cats feed from the bowls but pay you no heed.

Food and drinks are once again served, and during the course of the next hour, several cats come and go. About halfway into your rest, the fluffy black cat which you met in the study re-enters the kitchen. It immediately begins meowing at Lady Runa.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa declines any food or alcohol, but happily accepts a beverage. When Princess tries to get her attention, Runa once more does her ritual and asks, "Yes Princess?" when completed.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia makes sure to be on the other side of the room from the cats. She spends a little while refocusing her arcane energies, summoning her hawk and chatting at it for a while (it doesn't reply). Then she asks Cumin about the basement: "Did you ever see your mistress head to the basement? Is there a way to teleport down, that sort of thing?"

28. - Top - End - #388
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The two homunculi prepare drinks and food as requested, and Cumin answers, "Our masters never required our help downstairs. We know it exists, because they told us, but we have not been down there. They would disappear for long periods of time, doing research I would assume. We were very sad we could not clean, or bring them food, but they told us that we did too good a job cleaning and they needed it to be messy so their 'creative juices' would flow."

At the end of ten minutes, Lady Runa greets the cat, who immediately jumps backward, and almost snarls out a response."Princess? That dullard? How dare you confuse me with one of such poor breeding. My noble linage is a shining diamond compared with the dung heap she calls family. And here I was praising your deeds in my service. Perhaps no reward is in order, to teach you a lesson in manners when dealing with your betters."

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa picks up cat and holds it up at eye level (though not close enough to scratch her face) and says, "You have been living in this safe comfortable place without real predators for too long haven't you? Perhaps you've even forgotten what happens to fat slow cats that rudely break their promises? Maybe I should introduce you to my other friends? Take a sniff, I'm sure you can smell them on me if you try."

Spoiler
    Show

Runa is referring to Melody (the coyote), the crows, and the raccoons. All of which have will attack cats on occasion. (Not that her companions would be so rude as to attack domesticated cats unprovoked, but you can't tell that by smell.)

30. - Top - End - #390
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Lady Runa lifts the black cat into the air, who immediately begins to say, "How dare you...", but quiets as Lady Runa begins her tirade. He at first seems offended, but then looks around at the other animals in his presence, and his fur stands on end. Ears back, he beings to shake, "Now now, such violence is uncalled for. I was merely joking, yes joking, about our arrangement."

The other cats in the room have begun to sit at Runa's feet, obviously enjoying the show. Seeing that help is not forthcoming, the cat continues, "As the strongest, and most cunning of the cats here," he says nervously, eyeing the cats below him, "I would never go back on my word. Now that I have everyone's attention, I would like to thank you on behalf of all my subjects, and reward you with the choicest cuts of meat, and several pounds of catnip, which I have saved for just such an occasion. I will also share with my brothers and sisters, whose lives are much safer now that I have found such strong adventurers to do my bidding. Also, if you are so interested in the lower levels, just return to the room which I welcomed you into this house. On the second shelf from the bottom is a large book, just pull on it and you will find your way."

The cats below seem to be mildly interested in this offer, and a murmur spreads among the gathered cats. The one you are holding says quietly, just so Runa can hear, "Please don't hurt me, I have to look strong in front of them. I will do whatever you ask."