New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

Kynos looked around in amazement. "A yes, Sir Kynos of Falkenstein. At your service.
    I took the liberty of bringing your book. Should we leave this place and converse in your study. I do distrust the stability of this portal somewhat."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Matreous grabs Lady Runa's hand, and gives it a firm shake. "It is a pleasure to meet you all. We find ourselves in a a Mordenkainen’s magnicent mansion, or should I say, Fistandia's Mansion. I discovered this place quite by accident. I have a habit of casting detect magic in whatever place I spend significant time, and found the inactive portal to this place. With some research, and help from Little One, I was able to locate that tome," He points to the book in Kyno's posession.

"I will admit to a bit of excitement and foolishness, and was taken a bit off guard. Thankfully I have only been here for about an hour. I assure you, the doorway will not close while that spell is active, and it can stay that way for several hours." He turns to Patricia and says, "You say there are curses? How significant is the threat? I am hesitant to leave, there must be so much to learn here. I have already found a wonderfully carved onyx figurine of an imp, who know what other treasures this place holds."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

"Can I see the statue? One of my teachers warned me to always check lifelike looking statues for gargoyles, victims of a flesh to stone and other curses."
    Kynos looked around: "Besides, this place will be around a while longer I think. No need to rush."

Spoiler
    Show

If the magister shows the statue, Kynos will employ his Divine Sense

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-05-26 at 02:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"This little trinket? Sure you can see it. I am sure it is just a token of of the wonderful and powerful objects we might find here."

Spoiler: Kynos
    Show
    Your divine senses detect that the item registers as a fiend, but the sense is weaker than normal for something so close to you.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

"Careful with that thing. It's muted but there is definitetly a strong hint of fiendishness about it. Better keep it in a secure container."
    Kynos looked around "If that is the kind of things to be found around here, I think we have to be very careful where we go and what we touch."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

"Is it a devil pretending to be a statue then? Or just the product of some demon's pottery hobby?" Runa half-jokingly asks,

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

When Runa suggests a demonic potter, Eleazar laughs loudly for a moment before covering up and continuing to chuckle. "I would never have thought of that, Lady Runa! But whyever not? Immortal creatures would benefit from hobbies to while away the hours."

To the magnificent Matreous, Eleazar asks, "Pray tell, what can you tell us about this 'Fistandia' person?"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia recoils from the imp figurine in surprise. "Yes, who in the world would be keeping such a thing in their house?!? Whose house is this and why did they put it in a book?"

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Besmara the Sea Witch
    AC: 15 | HP: 12 | CURRENT: 12 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10
    PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 14| PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Besmara nodded her head towards the Magister, "Matreous, you were late for our meeting, where we were to discuss the economic fortunes of the Calimshan sultans, and their merchant fleets, yes?" She smirked, feigning annoyance, "For that, good sir, you at least owe a lady a decent bottle of brandy." The more observant of her companions would notice that while she holstered her pistol, her hand hovered near it's brass fitted grip, nervous, or apprehensive about their current situation.

"We make night soil where we sleep too, Patricia, and it stays in our chambers until morning when we dump it into an alley. Could be the owner of this," a pause, "domicile, meant to dispose of this too? Or perhaps to keep the entity within bound to it, so it could do no further mischief? Or he he could be a sick bastard, and mean to command the demon to inflict terrible harm upon his rivals."

Looking to the collected scholars, the pirate could only shrug her shoulder, "Won't find me touchin' it though, that's inviting disaster aboard one's own ship, yea? Best we find it's owner, then return to the real."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Matreous eyes the figurine with new skepticism. He turns it over a few times, then you can see him begin to cast a spell. When nothing happens he replies to the group, "Well, dispel magic seems to have had no effect, but I will take your warning to heart Sir Kynos. When I return to my study I will find an antimagic field to hold it in."

To Patricia, Eleazar, and Besmara, he says, "I was unable to find much information about Fistandia. After I discovered this dormant portal, I did some research and found that she was a wizard of some renown who always used the same study hall that I was assigned. Through Little One I discovered numerous books she had donated to Candlekeep, including that copy of "The Joys of Extradimensional Spaces". I am unsure of this mansion's purpose. Could be research center, illicit good depository, or simply a more comfortable place for Fistandia to study while in Candlekeep."

He pauses and looks around the foyer, and then down each hallway. "I would love to explore it fully, but I already seem out of my depth. Sir Kynos and Besmara show a caution that I seem to be lacking. I would offer a compromise. I will keep this portal open for you, and provide a base of operations from my study hall where you can bring any magic items you find for identification, and to rest up. In exchange I will aid you with this curse problem you have." And then hastily adds looking at Besmara, ""And TWO bottles of brandy, the best I can find."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

"That sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Take care. After we are done here, we can talk about Fin's Reach and their curse problem."
    Kynos turned to the others: "I'll understand if you'd prefer a bit more preparation to explore a mage's magic mansion, but something tells me, the sooner we get this done, the sooner the people of Fin's Reach will receive help."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Matreous smiles at all of you, "Capital! Well, enjoy exploring. I am sure you will find many surprises and secrets here. We will be sure to catalogue everything. Who knows what wonders await us in the wonderful place." He motions to put the figurine in his pocket, but then stops, "Perhaps I had better keep an eye on you." He says with a chuckle. Then turns and touches the doorway behind you. No noise is emitted as he disappears from sight, but suddenly, you here a started scream. Before you can react, the doors flicker momentarily and you here the same three knocks of brass on wood.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

"For the love of Helm, fffffff..." Kynos stopped himself from blaspheming just in time.
    "Did the guy who is supposed to keep this portal open just let himself get fragged up and trap us here?"
    As suddenly has his fury had come, Kynos let it go and calmed down. "Alright. Nothing we can do about it now. Let's take a look around. Maybe there is some other way out of here."

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    "For the love of Helm, fffffff..." Kynos stopped himself from blaspheming just in time.
    "Did the guy who is supposed to keep this portal open just let himself get fragged up and trap us here?"
    As suddenly has his fury had come, Kynos let it go and calmed down. "Alright. Nothing we can do about it now. Let's take a look around. Maybe there is some other way out of here."
    Patricia stands there with a shocked expression for a few moments, and then sighs. "Nothing's ever simple, is it. But I agree. It'd be awfully poor design to have a home you could get locked in by accident." She pushes on the door, just in case. "Scepter."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The doors do not respond to the command word. You feel that the large wooden doors have some give to them, but numerous locking mechanisms are in place on the doors.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa just stares at the door dumbstruck for a few moments. And then a thought comes to her head and says, "Perhaps it has something to do with the little statuette?" Then she shrugs as she realizes right after she finished say it that if that's the case, that information isn't particularly useful to them.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Kynos
    Show

If you start looking around, you can see down both ends of the hallway

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Well, that didn't work. Leftwards, then? Let's stick together, though." Patricia seems wise beyond her years. Her blue scales glint as she begins casting a spell, and soon her robes shine with a faint blue glow as well. She scans her eyes down the passage and says, "Hmm. The door at the very end?" She waits for some consensus, and doesn't immediately begin walking but rather graciously will let someone else take the lead down the hallway.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-06-01 at 12:12 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

"Let's take a look ouside first." Kynos indicated the large entrance doors. "I mean, I don't think it likely, but logically leaving a place like this could be triggered by opening the front doors. Not that I expect too much logic from paranoid wizards with private sanctums."
    Kynos went to the double door and tried to open it.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You turn and begin unlocking the three locking mechanisms over the front double doors. As you open the door, an indigo light pours into the foyer coloring everything in the room with blue light. Outside of the doors are three steps, which seem to descend into the miasma that exists beyond the doorway. Nothing can be seen other than the swirling indigo mists.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Seeing the indigo mist Runa comments, "Well that seems promising." in a half-sarcastic, half-unsure way.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

"Indeed, that doesn't look like it's a way out. Alright, let's go left and make our way in a circle through the building."
    Kynos replied, while closing the doors again.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You pass three doorways on your right as you pass down the hallway. The mansion is seems well built and luxurious, paintings of strange creatures and figures line the hallway between the floating oil lamps. You stand before a single door of dark wood, the same indigo light filters from the crack beneath the doorway.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    What is the marching order for the party before we enter the room?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos sat himself at the front of the column, shield ready, opened the door.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The door opens and reveals a semicircular patio paved with gray flagstones, nestled against the building. The patio lit by the swirling indigo miasma that surrounds the mansion. There is only a single loveseat with a soft velvety covering. There is also a second door on your right which leads back into the building.

Spoiler: map
    Show

Last edited by munimortal; 2021-06-02 at 01:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

"I wonder who could find a place like that relaxing. This violet fog doesn't give me a good feeling."
    Kynos commented, moving carefully across the terasse towards the next door, ready to open it.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"It's a nice color, at least. Not illness-green like a cloudkill spell or some such." Eleazar shrugs. He's been quiet since the 'front' doors shut, seeming to turn over ideas in his head without stating anything aloud. He peers into the fog for a moment before turning his attention to the next door.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2021-06-03 at 04:53 PM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You open the door to find tall shelves filled with books that line the walls of this room. Two more shelves run through the middle of the room with a ten-foot-wide aisle between them. Several stacks of books are piled high throughout the room. There are small reading desks with cozy scarlet chairs in the corners.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Last edited by munimortal; 2021-06-03 at 05:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    Several stacks of books are piled high throughout the room. There are small reading desks with cozy scarlet chairs in the corners.
    Patricia scans the closer shelf, checking for any interesting titles. She runs her finger along the spines and hums quietly. She will also check and see if any look particularly valuable, of course, though the small room is likely a little crowded already.

Patricia admires the cozy chairs and also runs a hand along the fabric on the back of one. "This Fistandia truly was a Candlekeep scholar at heart: must have really enjoyed reading for hours on end."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"What's wrong with green?" Runa quietly and sourly comments mostly to herself as she too looks around the study.