New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Champions of the Spheres - IC

Having some awareness of the importance of magical foci, Lorhanna looses her next arrow at the kenku which busied itself with destroying the hand. It was hard to say how durable any particular magical item might be, but perhaps she could at least distract the thing away from the hand.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (1d20+4)[7]
    damage: (1d6+2)[5]

2. - Top - End - #122

Lorhanna's shot misses, but the kenku abandons the hand, and Lorhanna had hoped. Unfortunately, it abandons it to draw a small bow and shoot at Lorhanna. The arrow hits her in the chest and she collapses to the ground in a pool of blood. Then more disaster strikes. The other remaining kenku takes advantage of Raeh's disorientation from the previous blows, and strikes her on the head with the hilt of its sword. Raeh drops to the ground, unconscious.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    ...Ouch. I think Raeh's pseudodragon disappears as well, since she can't concentrate on it?

I've written the above stuff in the assumption that there's nothing anyone can do. If you have abilities that can negate these attacks, feel free to make use of them.

The shot against Lorhanna was a 19 to hit, and does 8 damage if she can't negate it.
    The swordblow that Raeh took was a 20 to hit. It does only 4 damage, but Raeh is already down to 1hp. Fortunately, the kenku has merely knocked you out, so you're not bleeding out like Lorhanna.

Everyone who's still conscious is up.

3. - Top - End - #123

BlueKnightGuy

Targan fires his crossbow at the kenku with the sword.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    13 to hit, 4 damage

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

One by one, Varia's allies fell. Desperation crept over her. Could she even win this battle? But fleeing would doom the whole group. She had to keep fighting. She frantically launched another ray of force.

Show
    Varia fires a Destructive Blast (Confining Ray) at the sword wielder.

Attack: (1d20+5)[7]; Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

5. - Top - End - #125

ElfMonkGuy

She saw the bird-creature point its bow at her and fire, and her reaction was not quick enough...

The arrow didn't really hurt much. More of a dull, forceful sensation that was hard for her to immediately associate with the action she'd just witnessed. Had it missed her? No, that didn't make much sense. Why was she on the ground, now? That's, oh... that's quite a lot of... blood.

Perhaps she had erred in trying to play the hero, and to go about it as she had. It all felt a bit rediculous to her in that moment. She belatedly tries to call out for help, but it comes out as only a soft rasp before the ground presses against her cheek.

6. - Top - End - #126

BlueKnightGuy

"Hmmm," Targan muses, "We seem to be taking damage at a faster than ideal rate. Can I suggest we dodge more, or else bleed less when struck?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Drawing another two arrows, Heraeus draws the bow again with all his might, trying to fell two kenku with one shot.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Attack with splitshot: 17/20 (Disadvantage, so 17)
    Damage vs Kenku #1: 6
    Damage vs Kenku #2: 4
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

8. - Top - End - #128

Heraeus' shots hit both the kenku. The one with the sword collapses on top of Raeh. The bowman survives, just barely. It takes a look at the slaughter around it, and the arrow in its own arm, and runs in the direction of the path.

Show
    The remaining kenku takes the dash action and runs away. I'm going to say if you want to pursue it you need to start immediately, or it will get away. Alternatively, you have one more round to make ranged attacks, etc, before it reaches the cover of the trees, if you prefer to do that. Or you could just, y'know, let it go.

Lorhanna is also still bleeding out, and has a 1/20 chance of dying at the end of this round. Someone might want to deal with that. Just saying.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Varia didn't pursue the fleeing Kenku. She instead rushed over to her fallen comrades.

"Hold on, you two! Please don't die!"

She laid both hands upon Lorhanna. Healing light flowed into the wounded woman. Once Lorhanna's life was no longer in danger, Varia would move on to Raeh.

Show
    Varia spends 2 SP to Cure both of them.

Lorhanna: (1d8+3)[5]
    Raeh: (1d8+3)[6]

10. - Top - End - #130

BlueKnightGuy

Targan sights on the fleeing kenku and fires a final bolt.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    17 to hit 4 damage

11. - Top - End - #131

Targan's shot strikes true, and the fleeing kenku falls to the ground, dead.

12. - Top - End - #132

BlueKnightGuy

Targan considered his fallen opponents. He was invading their home after all, and the message from the other kenku had made him think something or someone else may have captured the missing girl. But the kenku had made no effort to parlay despite him calling out to them, and two of his companions were down. Better to leave no survivors to strike back than to risk the group with misplaced mercy.

After taking a moment to refresh his wards, he turned to continue search the huts.

13. - Top - End - #133

BlueKnightGuy

Targan heads into the building where he had triggered the trap, more cautious this time for dangers.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show

Investigate (1d20+5)[18]

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Raeh thanks the party for saving her and spends a few rounds gathering herself and her things while keeping a watch on the treeline.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"Now where did they come from," Heraus puts down his bow, walking over to where the Kenku emerged to confront them. He kneels down, looking for tracks.

Show
    Investigation Result: 16
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

16. - Top - End - #136

ElfMonkGuy

Lorhanna rises dizzily, glancing about in confusion to find any remaining bird-creatures before realizing that, at least for the moment, they'd been slain or driven back.

She momentarily looks as though she was about to say her thanks to Varia, but opts to nod her head in thanks instead. Once she regains her bearings she investigates some of the downed kenku.

17. - Top - End - #137

Heraeus can clearly see the tracks leading back along the path. Unfortunately, they are mixed with many other tracks going back and forth along the path you walked along earlier, and he doubts he'll be able to tell exactly which tracks this particular party made or where they joined.

Lorhanna searches the bodies; they each have a small sword, a bow and a few arrows, and a handful of shiny knickknacks of little value. Between them, they also have a total of eight gold pieces.

Targan walks cautiously forward into the building, keeping a careful eye out for traps. The room seems empty, other than another statue in the middle of the room, and some foliage in the right. But the hair on the back of Targan's neck rises as he walks deeper into the room. He feels like there are eyes on him, from all directions. Was that a glimpse of movement in the trees? Is it just a trick of the flickering firelight, or is that an impression of dark feathers behind the statue? Are there figures lurking in the archways to the west and east?
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-06-10 at 04:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

BlueKnightGuy

“I’ve got something here.” Targan calls to his friends.

Is the statue here a warrior like outside? In the same state of disrepair?

Targan puts his shield-crossbow before him. “I’m not here to harm you, though I will defend myself. What are you doing in this place here?”

19. - Top - End - #139

The statue is in better repair than those outside, most likely because it's been shielded from the weather. It's also rather larger. It depicts a female soldier in armour; after a moment's thought, Targan recognises it as a statue of Alairra, a goddess of heroism, strategy and knowledge. He's more familiar with her in her role as patron of the sciences, while this statue seems to emphasise her warrior aspects.

Targan's call is answered by a muffled female voice. He can't make out any words - the speaker sounds like she's trying to speak through some sort of gag. It seems to be coming from further back in the building.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-06-14 at 05:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140

BlueKnightGuy

“Hold on, we’re coming for you! Say something. What’s your paternal grandmother’s given name? The name of your first pet? What street did you live on in the second grade?” He tries to pinpoint the source of the sound.

“I think she’s here!” He calls to his companions outside.

When his allies regroup with him, Targan moves forward, conscious that the kenku are master mimics and they may be walking into a trap.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    22 on discord

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Rae follows behind Targan, weapon at the ready. She is not feeling super healthy so stays a distance back.

22. - Top - End - #142

There's silence for a moment, as the echoes of Targan's call die away. He waits, refusing to move further in. But just as Raeh is entering the building, suddenly you all hear a cry: "Strike them down, men, I'll have no thieves on my watch!" A large kenku wearing a crude metal circlet leaps from behind the statue, sword drawn. At the same time, a rain of arrows fires at both Raeh and Targan. Two strike Raeh, who collapses to the ground again. Another hits Targan in the chest and he collapses too. The kenku with the circlet points its sword at Targan's throat. It calls out to the rest of the group in a voice that sounds like a frightened young man: "I'm warning you! Stay where you are!"

Show

Targan is 20ft in front of the statue, next to the kenku with the circlet. Raeh is in the entrance. Everyone else is some distance away, though Targan's call means you're closer than you would have been; I'll say that it will take your full movement for the first round just to reach the entrance, and if you want to go beyond there you'll have to Dash.

One arrow came from each of the side archways, another came from behind the statue, and the fourth from the greenery on the right.

The kenku rolled extraordinarily well, I'm afraid, both on initiative and attack rolls. Raeh is hit by two arrows (attack rolls 21 and 23; damage 5 and 4). Targan is hit by one (attack roll 21; damage 6). The other missed, but unless someone has a way to negate that I'm afraid that seems to be enough to knock you down!

Everyone, give your action (or make your death save).
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-06-17 at 12:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

BlueKnightGuy

Targan tries not to die.

Spoiler: Death Save
    Show

(1d20)[15]

24. - Top - End - #144

ElfMonkGuy

Lorhanna's mind spins for a way to change this awful scene playing out before her. Perhaps, if she could only buy some time...

She drops her bow to retrieve her abandoned harp, then strums lightly on it, checking it as though looking for any damage. Or so she tries to feign.

But then, from near the building immediately counterclockwise from the path - as near as Lorhanna could manage, a dread growl and roar can be heard. A low-pitch thud like something metal had been pulled taut with great force, then the distinct sound of chains breaking. The bear they had seen before emerges from a position where she hopes the kenku can't see it materialize, near the building which still housed it. Shattered chain gently clacking as it looks about, the illusory creature locks eyes with the circlet-bearing kenku and roars again, ready to charge.

Show
    Retrieving the harp, then casting the Figment effect from the Illusion sphere (augmented to include both sight and sound).
    I'll have it charge headlong at the circlet-wearer if I can, but my reading of the figment ability seems to suggest that making an illusion appear to move is a separate action from creating it.

Performance: (1d20+7)[16] (I'm only spending 1 SP anyways, so no real consequence for failure here)

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

"We're na' here to steal!" Heraeus calls out, lowering his bow. However, he does not drop it. Then as he see the bear, he calls out "Look out!" and runs off in the opposite direction, trying to hide behind the statues.

Show
    Trying to use bear as a distraction and hide behind a statue, then sneak off into the wooded area. Hopefully they think Heraeus is tyring to warn them about the bear & also scared of bear.

Stealth result: 5
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2021-06-20 at 03:29 PM.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

(1d20)[20] death save

27. - Top - End - #147

The kenku threatening Targan opens its beak in shock. It drops Targan's body, pointing its sword at the bear nervously. Then, suddenly, the kenku kicks Targan in the direction of the bear - and incidentally nearer to the rest of the group - and rushes off through the arch to the left. Heraeus takes advantage of the confusion to slip off and hide among the statues; he trips over the flagstones while backing away but there's no sign he's been noticed in the general confusion.

Raeh regains consciousness, and looks up to see the bear apparently standing next to her and Targan lying unconscious in front of it.

Show
    Based on the current positioning of the kenku, the only sensible place to make the illusion is near the entrance of the building they're in; any further back and they probably won't be able to see it. And it wouldn't be able to charge, what with the steps and the distance.

I'm playing a little loose with the action economy here, taking this to be an adjusted readied action. Raeh has just woken up thanks to her natural 20; Varia and Raeh can take actions. Raeh is prone, of course.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2021-06-21 at 06:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: 2nd Death Save
    Show

(1d20)[20]

Was that kick hard enough to cause damage? Has death save implications.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Raeh gets up and moves away from the bear, standing between it and Targan as she summers her dragon
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2021-06-24 at 05:05 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150

BlueKnightGuy

With a groan Targan assesses his surroundings.
    No kenku with swords to his throat; good.
    ****ty kenku arrow protruding from his chest; not good.
    Charging bear; suboptimal.
    Raeh coming to nearby; better than expected.
    No solid evidence of the missing girl, no way to know whether Targan is a home invader or a liberator; frustrating.

“All around,” he says sitting up, “I’m filing today under the heading Not What You Want.”