New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    The joke is that intuitive eating is a food that psychic eats. Intuitive=psychics.
    The problem is there's no setup, just the punchline.

Or if that's the entirety of the joke...it's not all that funny.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    The problem is there's no setup, just the punchline.

Or if that's the entirety of the joke...it's not all that funny.
    Well, a few people on Youtube get the joke. My humor is different than most people.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a few people on Youtube get the joke. My humor is different than most people.
    I guess I'll stop trying to help with stuff, because it seems like every time I do you just double down on what you're doing.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I guess I'll stop trying to help with stuff, because it seems like every time I do you just double down on what you're doing.
    What do you mean by double down?

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Troll in the Playground

For the setup...we may be missing some context.

For the rest. Yeah. No worries, you lasted extremely long.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's the kind of home that needs a setup in addition to a punchline. It's like the 'small medium at large' jokes, it only works if you begin with the fact that you were paying an 8th level halftone halfling cleric on the run from the law.

It's like the classic line from Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy. 'The Vogon ships hung in the sky in the exact way that bricks don't.' A single sentence joke which includes both the build-up ('The Vogon ships hung in the sky') and the punchline ('that bricks don't'). Thus we have the humour inherent in a simile telling us precisely nothing. We could structure the joke meant ways, but it's inherently more funny constructed like this because it's building you up to expect one thing and then hits you with a completely unexpected mental image.

Of course you can have long setups and even multiple punchlines for a joke (I count at minimum two in the Babelfish guide entry).

Look up Milton Jones for an example of really good ways to structure a one liner home and string then together into longer routines. I even once watched his other grandfather perform on stage.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

What do you mean by double down?
    Peelee and I have repeatedly told you grammarly isn't helping you.

I've repeatedly tried helping you with your movie reviews.

I tried helping you with your writing involving the dragon deities.

About 5 people told you in this thread how the way you were presenting your writing of LGBT characters was potentially harmful.

You don't seem to have listened to, or even considered any of this advice. Each you've said you'd try and address something, you've gone back to doing and defending exactly what you've been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    For the setup...we may be missing some context.

For the rest. Yeah. No worries, you lasted extremely long.
    Yeah, I'm just tired and done.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-05-21 at 12:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Peelee and I have repeatedly told you Grammarly isn't helping you.

I've repeatedly tried helping you with your movie reviews.

I tried helping you with your writing involving the dragon deities.

About 5 people told you in this thread how the way you were presenting your writing of LGBT characters was potentially harmful.

You don't seem to have listened to, or even considered any of this advice. Each you've said you'd try and address something, you've gone back to doing and defending exactly what you've been doing.

Well, I'm sorry if you feel that way.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'm sorry if you feel that way.
    See you come off as dismissive again. This isn't "the way Mystic Muse feels", it's an accurate description of your behaviour. Every time someone gives you advice you nod and then don't try to follow it.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    See you come off as dismissive again. This isn't "the way Mystic Muse feels", it's an accurate description of your behaviour. Every time someone gives you advice you nod and then don't try to follow it.
    Guess I should try to follow this advice IRL.

*nods*

Okay to be serious I'm not that bad at doing this, and it's something that everybody does at some point.

But Bartmanhomer, Mystic Nurse and Fyraltari are right, this is pretty omnipresent with you. I know how hard it is to step out of your worldview and understand what other people are saying, but it's something you've got to do. Everybody's tried to meet you halfway and gotten rebuffed, and at some point people are just going to stop having the patience to try and help you and will just let you fall, however that happens.

On a more light-hearted topic, in one of my writing projects one of the major characters is trans. It isn't important to the story at all, but in my head she's always been trans and I'm wondering if I should try to work in a mention (seemlessly if possible) of her having had GIC appointments in the past.

Before people ask, yes I asked friends who are trans (and of the same gender as the character, just to be safe) for advice on what to avoid and will run it by them before self publishing, so hopefully nothing offensive will get through.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post

Mystic Nurse
    Hey, I'm a muse, not a nurse. Don't lump me in with nurses. They have waaaaay stronger stomachs than me, and their jobs warrant far more respect than mine does.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, I'm a muse, not a nurse. Don't lump me in with nurses. They have waaaaay stronger stomachs than me, and their jobs warrant far more respect than mine does.
    I think I'm going to disable SwiftKey, it causes about eighty percent of my selling issues.

Show

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    See you come off as dismissive again. This isn't "the way Mystic Muse feels", it's an accurate description of your behavior. Every time someone gives you the advice you nod and then don't try to follow it.
    Then what is it that you want me to say? I've been on the internet long enough to realized that I don't agree with everything that people say all because of my actions and I have a right to speak my mind on that. And on top of that, I stop caring anymore and not take and listen to other people's advice as well that and I've been doing that for a long time.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'm going to disable SwiftKey, it causes about eighty percent of my selling issues.
    Hope it's clear that this was just a good-natured ribbing.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

Hope it's clear that this was just a good-natured ribbing.
    Oh sure, I was hoping the intentional typo in my reply would have made that I got that clear.

... Got to try to write another section of rules once I get home from work today. Maybe I'll finally take a stab at crafting.

Show

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Then what is it that you want me to say? I've been on the internet long enough to realized that I don't agree with everything that people say all because of my actions and I have a right to speak my mind on that. And on top of that, I stop caring anymore and not take and listen to other people's advice as well that and I've been doing that for a long time.
    We dont want you to say anything. We want you to genuinely listen and consider changing your behavior to head off problems that you keep encountering. You say you want to support the LGBT community, but then you also do things that come off as incredibly demeaning towards them. You say you want to improve your grammar, and then continue to do things that do not improve your grammar and dont do things that will. Its been a consistent pattern with you for a while now where you say you will do a thing and then not do it. So are you just lying to us to placate us then? Do you think the issues will just go away if you ignore them?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

Not caring about how other people feel or what they say has a word for it: Selfish. If you only care about yourself, nobody's going to want to interact with you.

You have a right to speak your mind, yes. But if you don't care about anyone else, then you'll find that nobody wants to be around you and listen.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

Not going to have broadband for a while in a few days, anybody got recommendations for games to download and have ready until I wait for the internet people to connect my new flat?

Please bare in mind that I don't like shooters, at least partially due to my dyspraxia, and won't be able to play anything particularly modern until I get a proper PC.

I'm thinking maybe having Ecco the Dolphin be one of the games, but I want to hear people's suggestions.

Show

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

Not going to have broadband for a while in a few days, anybody got recommendations for games to download and have ready until I wait for the internet people to connect my new flat?

Please bare in mind that I don't like shooters, at least partially due to my dyspraxia, and won't be able to play anything particularly modern until I get a proper PC.

I'm thinking maybe having Ecco the Dolphin be one of the games, but I want to hear people's suggestions.
    Transistor, FTL, and Into The Breach are games that're both fairly easy on the systems (given my potato of a PC) and have given me a lot of time in. Might not be unheard of/unplayed suggestions, but they also come to mind because they're turn-based or real-time-with-pause to at least a limited degree.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Troll in the Playground

Peelee and I have repeatedly told you grammarly isn't helping you.
    WHAT? B...b...but their ads on ThemChannel!...

...life is a lie.

Nah, you were great. The advice has been spot on, you were patient, understanding and focused on helping. Had this been a test, you would have aced it. So, don't give up - there are people who need help and it would be shame if you gave up. Hell, if my kids needed advice, I'd send them to Mystic Nurse's Hotline anytime.

It's the audience. Tough crowd. Or individual.

Also: while you genuinely want to help, they do not want help - it's just wrong signal they send. Sympathy vs. advice. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

... Got to try to write another section of rules once I get home from work today. Maybe I'll finally take a stab at crafting.
    Damn. Wish I had energy to work on my rpg projects. But here I am, 8:30 PM, going back to documents from work because deadlines.

One more week and I will have time for my projects.

Also: what mechanics do you plan to use for the crafting system?

Objects in Space. The learning curve is quite steep, but incredibly rewarding. Don't know about the old computer though.

King of the Dragon Pass. It's... strange. Yet something that has not been done better (there is a remake, but I'm not sure about it).

Zafehouse Diaries. Ever wondered about the whole "how would me and my friends survive zombie apocalypse" thing? Put your friends' photos (or even enemies!) into the game and see how they fare. Mechanically interesting, fun to cover few hours at least.

Realms of Arkania: Star Trail; if you like Das Schwartze Auge, travelling heroes and old-school, you're in for a treat.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2021-05-21 at 01:32 PM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OG Plants vs Zombies and World of Goo. Neither requires dexterity and both are a lot of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Bugbear in the Playground

How long is a while? From the sound of it, you'll want something you can really sink your teeth into to keep yourself occupied for longer stretches of time. A roguelike of some sort would probably do it. Got a genre or theme you're looking for to help guide recommendations?

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    We don't want you to say anything. We want you to genuinely listen and consider changing your behavior to head off problems that you keep encountering. You say you want to support the LGBT community, but then you also do things that come off as incredibly demeaning towards them. You say you want to improve your grammar, and then continue to do things that do not improve your grammar and don't do things that will. It's been a consistent pattern with you for a while now where you say you will do a thing and then not do it. So are you just lying to us to placate us then? Do you think the issues will just go away if you ignore them?
    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Not caring about how other people feel or what they say has a word for it: Selfish. If you only care about yourself, nobody's going to want to interact with you.

You have a right to speak your mind, yes. But if you don't care about anyone else, then you'll find that nobody wants to be around you and listen.
    Ok, I surrender. Everybody is right and I'm wrong. I'm going to start listening to other people's advice and be more careful.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Impossible Game is remarkably meditative, and very inexpensive.

If you like 4x RTS games, Sins of a Solar Empire is an old fave of mine and a huge time sink.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-05-21 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Sorry Dave, but I meant to write "fave"
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Transistor, FTL, and Into The Breach are games that're both fairly easy on the systems (given my potato of a PC) and have given me a lot of time in. Might not be unheard of/unplayed suggestions, but they also come to mind because they're turn-based or real-time-with-pause to at least a limited degree.
    Got Transistor and FTL, although the former ribs choppily on my machine, need more RAM. Will look into The Breach though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    OG Plants vs Zombies and World of Goo. Neither requires dexterity and both are a lot of fun.
    Didn't like PvZ when I played it, but will check out World of Goo.

EDIT: consider Taskmaster of a Solar Empire agreed as well, I like 4Xs but haven't had the time to sink my teeth into one recently.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-05-21 at 01:41 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1346

EDIT: consider Taskmaster of a Solar Empire agreed as well, I like 4Xs but haven't had the time to sink my teeth into one recently.
    HUZZAH!

Also Kerbal Space Program you can spend forever in, but for that one, you may need to check minimum reqs. I started in beta like 8 years ago so I want to say you can run it fine on whatever rig you got, but I don't want to be too sure of myself there.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Troll in the Playground

Got Transistor and FTL, although the former ribs choppily on my machine, need more RAM. Will look into The Breach though.
    Ah, alas. That sucks, since Transistor's a good game.

...the nice thing about Into The Breach I've found, is that it's easier than FTL (though, that's not saying much), and shorter, so less frustration.
    (You still have Hard if you want your teeth kicked in, though.)

28. - Top - End - #1348

Early day to leave for me. Can't wait to get home, the little one is getting his wagon ride today!

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Early day to leave for me. Can't wait to get home, the little one is getting his wagon ride today!
    Oh, nice! Hope y'all have fun!

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also Kerbal Space Program you can spend forever in, but for that one, you may need to check minimum reqs. I started in beta like 8 years ago so I want to say you can run it fine on whatever rig you got, but I don't want to be too sure of myself there.
    Had the strangest experience: the newest version basically slowed my laptop to a crawl, while the older ones were a light jog. So it's possible, but you'll maybe have to take care not to install expansions and go lightly on the graphic details.

Still, KSP is KSP. I always return to it. There is an inherent pleasure in sending small, scared cucumberfolk into space.

Same with Dwarf Fortress, ADOM, Jalopy, Banished and Mount & Blade: Warband.