Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: OOTS #1230 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...what the hell is Haley holding?
    Mummified Osquip Head.
    Which, incidentally, would be a great name for a band.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brionl View Post
    Mummified Osquip Head.
    Which, incidentally, would be a great name for a band.
    So was "Sonic Reptillian Unicorn"
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I like the references to past strips here:

Panel 4:
    Strip 4 (Bluffing Ogre, Roy telling Elan he hated him)
    Strip 127 (V yelling at Elan)
    Strip 124 (Belkar trying to kill Elan for XP)

Panel 7:
    Strip 128 (V apologizing to Elan)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I love that beat in panel 5. I enjoy the Order reflecting on how much they've changed and certainly Elan is one of the more changed elements. But the strip also highlights Roy's continual efforts to be a better leader and also! a little bit of introspection (maybe?) from Belkar.

Now, when does Serini appear?

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I love that beat in panel 5. I enjoy the Order reflecting on how much they've changed and certainly Elan is one of the more changed elements. But the strip also highlights Roy's continual efforts to be a better leader and also! a little bit of introspection (maybe?) from Belkar.

Now, when does Serini appear?
    Probably next strip. In addition to character development, the reason for this scene is to make sure we know what's going on with the Order before they get jumped.

We'll probably have a few rounds of combat with Serini, they'll use newly-found teamwork for an unlikely victory, and then we'll get a few strips of them talking to Serini and trying to convince her to let them help.

Just a guess.
    Last edited by Thermophille; 2021-03-27 at 02:30 AM.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Belkar apologized (relatively) unprompted?
    This is the end of the world!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Keigh View Post
    Whelp Belkar just apologized, this must be the year
    What was the most in-fashion form of awakened undead in the 3.5 era? In 5e we throw around revenants left and right. What if the "belkar will die" is followed up with extraplanar nonsense with his soul? We already did the Undead Monster PC (twice, counting a certain golem) so maybe Belkar still gets sent to an evil realm, and thinks of himself as better than the unrepentent spirits and becomes a badass lordly petitioner or fiend.
    That said, I wonder how Roy's Dad and Belkar would get along in that barrier realm.

...Now I'm wondering if a certain feline companion is going to die with/before/after Belkar.. If they both passed, they'd be set forever in peace.
    @Patt

Spoiler: Bleep bloop!
    Show
    "People are ideas." :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling-wordpress-com

T_P_T

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Everyone getting along and apologizing ? Uh-oh, heading into the last fight, sounds like Elan is going to die.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I'd say "Elan, never change", but that would refute the whole point of the strip, which is how they've all changed. Which was their inevitable destiny as a rag-tag group of heroes discover they need to save the world.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    She got it in a bonus strip last book, and used it to disarm the portal.
    Can someone give a brief description of how she got the mouse skull? That's not exactly an item highly coveted by a thief!

As for the comic, it is satisfying to see the character growth, and I think it is relevant that the group is talking about their problems, instead of having "anger and resentment that had simmered through the years of adventuring." Because the Order of the Scribble fell apart because of that anger and resentment, I think that seeing everyone get along will convince Serini that she should work with OOTS instead of taking them captive.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    Can someone give a brief description of how she got the mouse skull?
    Spoiler: Utterly Dwarfed
    Show

To memory it was a dwarfs pet that died and he kept it, when he died it was handed down.

This lead to dwarves getting it despite them not really wanting a rotting rodent head but unable to get rid of it unless there was an honourable method, and so they started passing it around whenever honour would permit - the dwarf who had it before Haley honoured her commitment in the conflict with the vampires with this heirloom.

Thus the world was saved.

12. - Top - End - #102

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ziproot View Post
    It might just be me being Lawful, but I think that Mechanus is a much better place to end up on than Limbo, even though they are both the "neutral" afterlife.
    The closest to a neutral afterlife is the outlands
    Limbo and Mechanus are pure Chaos and pure Law.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What's Durkon casting? Is there a spell with a long casting time (like Sending) that you can hold like that till you need it?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    What's Durkon casting? Is there a spell with a long casting time (like Sending) that you can hold like that till you need it?
    Nnnnnnno, spells don't really work like that.

Maybe he's summoning a Greater Planar Ally? I think he might be high enough level to summon a Planetar or Trumpet Archon with that spell. Trumpet Archons cast as 14th-level Clerics; Planetars as 17th-level. This works because both have considerably lower HD than that.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Elan did apologise panel 11.
    "I'm sorry you took offense" is not an apology at all.
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    Thank you for making this point well. (^_^)b
    (I tried to, but drowned it in explanations and qualifiers e.g. "but I want to think he intended to apologize".)

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
    I disagree - apologies are about the individuals involved Elan seems to have meant it as an apology and Vaarsuvius seems to have taken it as an apology.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I disagree - apologies are about the individuals involved Elan seems to have meant it as an apology and Vaarsuvius seems to have taken it as an apology.
    I mean, I'm willing to accept the poor phrasing as just early writing fumbles, I do think Elan was sincere (if only because early Elan had nary an insincere bone in his body). It is worth noting the number of times that "I'm sorry you were offended" has been used by SOBs to make an entirely insincere apology, as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a home run. And so that'll make it a 4-0 ballgame, and we need to make teach people why apologies like that need to be sincere and not weaselly.
    Last edited by Wraithfighter; 2021-03-27 at 11:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    I mean, I'm willing to accept the poor phrasing as just early writing fumbles, I do think Elan was sincere (if only because early Elan had nary an insincere bone in his body). It is worth noting the number of times that "I'm sorry you were offended" has been used by SOBs to make an entirely insincere apology, as there's a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that'll be a home run. And so that'll make it a 4-0 ballgame, and we need to make teach people why apologies like that need to be sincere and not weaselly.
    I agree.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Edit: I finally got my wish, though not in the form I expected... apparently some people don't think pipeweed is tobacco, which I'll take as an omen to give up for the night.
    This is partly because LotR is purportedly European "before-times" but tobacco is a New-World plant. The same problem applies to the potatoes that Sam was so fond of.

And partly wishful thinking that the hobbits and wizards were stoned all the time.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2021-03-27 at 11:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    This is partly because LotR is purportedly European "before-times" but tobacco is a New-World plant. The same problem applies to the potatoes that Sam was so fond of.
    Imean, once you introduce wizards and dragons into the mix, it seems a bit of an odd issue to take. "All European versions died out because why not" is a perfectly valid plug into those peoples' alleged hole.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Also if it's not literally Earth then I don't think it's that much of a problem.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

My preferred explanation is that dragons can fly, and since they appear in wideranging world mythologies (sort of), they clearly get around. Seeds could travel in the mud on a dragon's talons.

This opens interesting story avenues about invasive species of plants, and what impact that has on the local flora and fauna.

Can't wait for someone to get around to making a full TV show Samwise Gamgee prequel where he deals with these issues as a gardener.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post

And partly wishful thinking that the hobbits and wizards were stoned all the time.
    One of the books (Unfinished Tales most likely) has a description of Nùmenorean fruits that sound suspiciously like tomatoes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Imean, once you introduce wizards and dragons into the mix, it seems a bit of an odd issue to take. "All European versions died out because why not" is a perfectly valid plug into those peoples' alleged hole.
    It's not like the Professor included a note in the book explaining that the pipe-weed is definitely tobacco brought from the True West, is it? Yes, it is.
    Also, there are Dùnedain ships circumnavigating the world in the Silmarillion.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Also if it's not literally Earth then I don't think it's that much of a problem.
    It is, though Arda (German: Erde, English: Earth) is literally supposed to be our planet in the long long ago. This whole thing was conceived as a British mythology, remember.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-03-27 at 12:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It is, though Arda (German: Erde, English: Earth) is literally supposed to be our planet in the long long ago. This whole thing was conceived as a British mythology, remember.
    How long ago are we talking about? Long enough to invent french fries?

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it is meant to be like Star Wars except instead of 'in a galaxy far far away' it is more 'before magic died and the world transformed'.

But I could be wrong it has been a long time since I read any of them.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

And then to forget about them, I guess.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    And then to forget about them, I guess.
    And then for someone to come up with the exact same story and then have it made into a movie then.

It's the Circle of Life~

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Anticlimax coming...

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blatt View Post
    Anticlimax coming...
    I mean the Serini fight isn't exactly the climax anyways.

Extended sig here.