New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Godzilla vs Kong

So incase anyone didn't know the newest monsterverse film is out, to give my non spoiler opinion is probably the best. Vastly better than the two Godzilla films and personally I prefer it to Kong: Skull island. The fights are actually allowed to play out while still giving a good feeling of size most of the time.

My only real gripe was the conspiracy theorist guy, I know it's a Hollywood staple but I think we've all had enough of indulging people like the guy in the film after this year.

One thing I did notice was there was no stinger for this film considering the poor returns they've had hopefully they don't pull the plug now they actually have a good monster film under their belt.

Spoiler: Spoiler thoughts, don't open if you havn't seen the film.
    Show
    So like I think everyone guessed Mecha Godzilla is in the film and looks good, if slightly busy. However the theory that he would be disguised as Godzilla to discredit him isn't correct.

Honestly I think the mega corp guy was right, humanity does need something like Mechagodzilla in this setting. So shame he gets axed off so easily. Maybe using telepathic alien heads was too far though.

I'm guessing Ghidoras heads are the two from the final fight of King of all monsters and the one that Dance reclaims in the stinger is still around elsewhere.

I do like how the fights play out, Godzilla is definitely the more durable of the two and kong has no answer for his atomic breath outside the special axe he gets. Before that the breath is basically treated as an instant loss for him if he were to be hit dead on by it. But when kong gets to use tools he is definitely a danger to the big G. I also liked how mecha focused on G to show Ghidora was in control and still hates him for his last defeat. The Drawing at the foot of the throne implies to me that Godzilla is the original as well which is a nice touch.

After the big axe blast that ends round two I honestly though Godzilla was blind due to the weird way he was moving and attacking which would have been an interesting setup but no just seems like he was super pissed off.

Finally Millie and her scooby gang don't really add much to the film that couldn't be done else where but she's basically the face of the films at this point. Her mother is also apparently being treated as not a terrible person thanks to her sacrifice but I mean she still killed probably tens of millions of people easily so I still find that one hard to swallow.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Godzilla vs Kong

Yeah, I enjoyed this. Quite a bit. It had monsters. It had punching. It had atomic blasts. Things blew up. It did precisely what I wanted out of a Godzilla vs King Kong movie.

That said, if I am going to be critical.

Spoiler
    Show
    The movie would've been better served focusing on the villain and explaining their plan and reasons, possibly with one of their people being the whiner saying things like "But it's not working, you're going too far, this is inhumane" or whatever, rather than having conspiracy nut, stranger things girl, and... ... the other one in the movie at all. They had the characters all there, the leader as the villain trying to push them past the point where the technology can go, the pilot (son?) who could be used to say things like "I feel Ghidorah's presence fighting against me. We need to scrap this." And the daughter acting as the supportive one to her father's vision, perhaps coming around at the end seeing the problems it's causing. Nice and neat little character drama. I just did not see much of a point of the 'Zilla group of heroes.

It was also one of those movies where the villains don't even seem all that villainous at first, so they have some of them randomly act like jerks for no reason, so we can tell they're the bad guys.

I also think they were doing a thing with Godzilla not having good eyesight or something? I think I missed the explanation, but in Fight One on the carrier they turn off all power and suddenly Godzilla didn't attack them. But they mentioned that if they turn the engines back on Godzilla will just come at them again. Even when Godzilla puts his head above water and is clearly looking at them.

Then when Godzilla looks like he couldn't see Kong at the start of Fight Three (or Fight Two-B maybe?).

I think I missed an explanation somewhere.

Anyway, very enjoyable. Incredibly dumb. The Hollow Earth teleport thing made absolutely no sense and I just don't care. Will probably watch it again at some point. I do think I still rank the first Godzilla and first Kong higher. But it is very enjoyable.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Yeah, I enjoyed this. Quite a bit. It had monsters. It had punching. It had atomic blasts. Things blew up. It did precisely what I wanted out of a Godzilla vs King Kong movie.

That said, if I am going to be critical.

Spoiler
    Show
    The movie would've been better served focusing on the villain and explaining their plan and reasons, possibly with one of their people being the whiner saying things like "But it's not working, you're going too far, this is inhumane" or whatever, rather than having conspiracy nut, stranger things girl, and... ... the other one in the movie at all. They had the characters all there, the leader as the villain trying to push them past the point where the technology can go, the pilot (son?) who could be used to say things like "I feel Ghidorah's presence fighting against me. We need to scrap this." And the daughter acting as the supportive one to her father's vision, perhaps coming around at the end seeing the problems it's causing. Nice and neat little character drama. I just did not see much of a point of the 'Zilla group of heroes.

It was also one of those movies where the villains don't even seem all that villainous at first, so they have some of them randomly act like jerks for no reason, so we can tell they're the bad guys.

I also think they were doing a thing with Godzilla not having good eyesight or something? I think I missed the explanation, but in Fight One on the carrier they turn off all power and suddenly Godzilla didn't attack them. But they mentioned that if they turn the engines back on Godzilla will just come at them again. Even when Godzilla puts his head above water and is clearly looking at them.

Then when Godzilla looks like he couldn't see Kong at the start of Fight Three (or Fight Two-B maybe?).

I think I missed an explanation somewhere.

Anyway, very enjoyable. Incredibly dumb. The Hollow Earth teleport thing made absolutely no sense and I just don't care. Will probably watch it again at some point. I do think I still rank the first Godzilla and first Kong higher. But it is very enjoyable.
    Spoiler: Godzilla's Eyesight
    Show
    It wasn't that Godzilla didn't have good eyesight, they pointed out early on that when two Alpha titans meet, one bows and the other reigns. At the first battle, the humans basically threw in the towel for Kong, the doctor explained that by turning off all the lights and stopping movie, they'd be communicating a show of submission to Godzilla. And since that's all Godzilla wanted, he stopped attacking and went on his merry way. That's why he looked at the boat but didn't keep attacking it, it didn't seem like the boat (and Kong) were challenging his reign by trying to get away/keep fighting.

And I wouldn't be surprised ig Godzilla's vision was a bit messed up because of how the axe went off against his head, that and Kong staying out of sight (mostly above and behind Godzilla).

Overall, I'm very pleased with this movie. Well worth the wait, made my day a lot better. Just wonderful. I don't rank it as high as Godzilla: KotM for me, but its a close race in my mind, very close.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

The movie was entirely out of its mind, running on moon logic, nonsense physics, and mountains of "Just trust us, it works this way". Lots of pointless human characters doing dumb things, and the morality of the villains/protagonists is as half-baked as ever.

In other words, it's big monke vs giant luzurd, and on that level, it's a massive step up from the last two 'zilla movies. No cutting away from the giant monsters just as they were about to break things. No covering everything is so much smoke that you couldn't see what was going on. Nice, wide camera shots that show you everything that's happening.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, the main villain has a hell of a point. Godzilla is not the "good guy" here. Godzilla does not give one **** how many innocent people he killed in Hong Kong just because he smelled a challenge to his rep there. He didn't give one **** about the people he killed during his completely unprovoked attack the fleet that was carrying Kong. Any "protection" he provides to mankind is entirely incidental to his real nature as a giant monster that fights other giant monsters, and he's happy to do that right smack dab in the middle of humanity's largest population centers. If Apex hadn't been cartoonishly irresponsible by putting their facility under one of said population centers and not having sufficient testing and fail-safes in place before activating Mechagodzilla, you'd be hard-pressed to explain why they're the bad guys.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    The movie was entirely out of its mind, running on moon logic, nonsense physics, and mountains of "Just trust us, it works this way". Lots of pointless human characters doing dumb things, and the morality of the villains/protagonists is as half-baked as ever.
    I know, wasn't it just beautiful.

Spoiler
    Show
    My biggest complaint is that Kong should have won. Godzilla was absolutely the heel in this setup and I frankly kind of hate that they went with such a generic TechBro villain setup despite him being correct that the Titans are a problem.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I know, wasn't it just beautiful.

Spoiler
    Show
    My biggest complaint is that Kong should have won. Godzilla was absolutely the heel in this setup and I frankly kind of hate that they went with such a generic TechBro villain setup despite him being correct that the Titans are a problem.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm actually of the opposite opinion. I'm glad they gave Godzilla a legitimate beef with Apex as it would have been too much of a deviation from his characterization in other movies. He'd just been too careful around everything else to sell "Welp, Godzilla smashing for the lulz" in this one.

Spoiler: My Own Thoughts: Fun Movie to Watch, Not So Fun to Think About
    Show

I watched it last night and plan on seeing it again in theaters on Monday for the full spectacle of it all. That said, I can't help but feel that the last half of the movie needed to be completely reworked for the sake of at least approaching something that made sense.

At first I was completely on board. We'd already been introduced to the Hollow Earth in the previous movies, and the idea of there being some gravity barrier that only Titans can get through naturally, sure totally on board with that, just as I could buy the villains needing some Titan related unobtainium in order to power up Mechagodzilla. These are giant monster movies. They pretty much run on SCIENCE!

Amusingly, then came the scene where they decide to depth charge Godzilla while he's in the middle of drowning Kong because Kong is apparently immune to concussions? And that is where it started falling apart for me. For example...

Turning Ghidorah's skull into a supercomputer? Sure, I'll buy that. But why, why did they have to try to sell with a line as bad as "They hardwired his DNA!" Then we get Godzilla going full Death Star on the planet's crust, followed by the whole energy signature uploading bit which does...what? How? Why? "Yes! We have the blue squiggly lines, now Ghidorah's skull can run amok in our giant death cyborg!" I can't help but feel it would have made far more sense (I know, I know...) to have had them actually obtain a mineral sample from Kong's throne room then just use a back door to the Hollow Earth already built into the Hong Kong facility. Explain as it being tied into the same tunnel network that apparently let them monorail from Florida to Hong Kong. Its called a suspension of disbelief, not a trampoline of disbelief, but the writers felt the need to just jump all over it.

Also would have preferred a bit more of a background on the war between Godzilla and Kong. They had no problem telling us all about it, but frankly, King of the Monsters did a much better job showing us anything about it.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Really stupid big budget film that manages to stick to its thematic, although almost drops it at certain moment.

I'd argue there was less single cool "Tableau" than in King of the Monster.

Spoiler
    Show
    I loved Bitopia, and I want to have more adventures in the Hollow World

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Am I reading all of this right?

Spoiler: That Hollow Feeling
    Show
    Is there, in fact, a hollow Earth in these movies?

I'm not even sure which movies are considered part of the franchise, since I thought all the recent Godzilla movies were essentially reboots. Not really my thing, but I'm wondering if they're going full Mystara here.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Am I reading all of this right?

Spoiler: That Hollow Feeling
    Show
    Is there, in fact, a hollow Earth in these movies?

I'm not even sure which movies are considered part of the franchise, since I thought all the recent Godzilla movies were essentially reboots. Not really my thing, but I'm wondering if they're going full Mystara here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, the Hollow Earth was actually introduced in King of the Monsters as a way of explaining how Godzilla could move around the planet so quickly, though its actually hinted at way back in the first Monsterverse Godzilla, when one of the Monarch scientists mentioned that most of the Titans had moved underground as Earth's surface became less radioactive in prehistory and only started to move again on the surface once we started digging up radioactive sources and consolidating them in places like nuclear power plants.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I kind of want Journey to Center of Earth Rock movies to be part of Godzilla.
    I mean, they traveled there.

Meaning Rock or Brandon Fraiser can be part of Godzilla series.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

There was one thing that annoyed me

Spoiler
    Show
    the big titted evil corporate daddy's girl was so incompetent. So unprepared. So stupid and short-sighted, that I was sure they were setting her up to have some sort of reversal later in the movie.

She seemed surprised by basic mission procedures and expectations. She kept suggesting stuff that would jeopardize the mission she was explicitly sent to achieve ("dump the Monkey", really?!). She was surprised at things that she should have learned first thing when reading the mission briefing.

And ordering to shoot at Kong on their way to escape?! Wtf girl, you know it will do nothing and only risk aggravating him. He wasn't even attacking you, and you decided to SHOOT AT HIM?!

Luckily, they quickly disposed of any such cartoon characters without dragging it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In other Godzilla news singular point the newest anime based on Godzilla has started airng. So far its a pretty fun show.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

In other words, it's big monke vs giant luzurd, and on that level, it's a massive step up from the last two 'zilla movies. No cutting away from the giant monsters just as they were about to break things. No covering everything is so much smoke that you couldn't see what was going on. Nice, wide camera shots that show you everything that's happening.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, the main villain has a hell of a point. Godzilla is not the "good guy" here. Godzilla does not give one **** how many innocent people he killed in Hong Kong just because he smelled a challenge to his rep there. He didn't give one **** about the people he killed during his completely unprovoked attack the fleet that was carrying Kong. Any "protection" he provides to mankind is entirely incidental to his real nature as a giant monster that fights other giant monsters, and he's happy to do that right smack dab in the middle of humanity's largest population centers. If Apex hadn't been cartoonishly irresponsible by putting their facility under one of said population centers and not having sufficient testing and fail-safes in place before activating Mechagodzilla, you'd be hard-pressed to explain why they're the bad guys.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The issue is that the Apex guy explicitly states that his issue isn't any danger that is posed by the Titans, but it just ticks him off that humans are no longer the masters of Earth. His motivation was no different from Godzilla's. Meanwhile the people against him were not really seeing Godzilla as a protector, just as somebody that was minding his own business until the start of the film.

Had the labs making Mechagodzilla not been under major cities, you would have a "I'm building a superweapon to take down that guy that hasn't bothered anybody in the last decade!" villain, which is still kind of messed up.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The issue is that the Apex guy explicitly states that his issue isn't any danger that is posed by the Titans, but it just ticks him off that humans are no longer the masters of Earth. His motivation was no different from Godzilla's. Meanwhile the people against him were not really seeing Godzilla as a protector, just as somebody that was minding his own business until the start of the film.

Had the labs making Mechagodzilla not been under major cities, you would have a "I'm building a superweapon to take down that guy that hasn't bothered anybody in the last decade!" villain, which is still kind of messed up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean the big G has easily killed 10s of thousands of people during his fights by this point. I don't think leaving the situation as it is is tenable when you have the option to actually do something about it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean the big G has easily killed 10s of thousands of people during his fights by this point. I don't think leaving the situation as it is is tenable when you have the option to actually do something about it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    These 10s of thousands of people wouldn't have died if Apex hadn't built Mechagodzilla

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The last decade? Try "literally during this movie". As I pointed out- Godzilla kills a ton of innocent sailors attacking a fleet of ships just because they're transporting Kong. And even if it was a decade since his last attack, I'm pretty sure the statue of limitations on destroying an entire city is a little longer than that. I don't think most people would be cool with "Oh, he only destroys a city every decade or so".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground

So is this a Pacific Rim prequel then?

Because I agree with BloodSquirrel, inventing a way to fight the damn monsters without needing other damn monsters who don't care about breaking our stuff sounds eminently sensible, except the guy doing it was Stupid Evul.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    These 10s of thousands of people wouldn't have died if Apex hadn't built Mechagodzilla
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was talking about san fran then I think it was Boston last film? Plus you can add in Las Vegas, Washington DC and a bunch of other cities that where destroyed off screen last film by other kaiju. You think doing nothing and just hoping Godzilla doesn't decide to take a stroll through a city or try to beat down one of the other monsters in one or is able to protect you against currently unknown threats is the best option? When you can build your own defences? Doesn't seem like a good survival strategy.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The last decade? Try "literally during this movie". As I pointed out- Godzilla kills a ton of innocent sailors attacking a fleet of ships just because they're transporting Kong. And even if it was a decade since his last attack, I'm pretty sure the statue of limitations on destroying an entire city is a little longer than that. I don't think most people would be cool with "Oh, he only destroys a city every decade or so".

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So is this a Pacific Rim prequel then?

Because I agree with BloodSquirrel, inventing a way to fight the damn monsters without needing other damn monsters who don't care about breaking our stuff sounds eminently sensible, except the guy doing it was Stupid Evul.

Spoiler: Godzilla
    Show

Here's the thing though, Godzilla, throughout the Monsterverse has been shown to be pretty benevolent. Not in the same way Mothra is where she went out of her way to avoid killing people, but in the sense that all of Godzilla's casualties (which he does have) are incidental. Its all been because Godzilla has been perusing and fighting other monsters that ARE a threat to humanity. Explicitly so in fact. There isn't 'he only destroys a city every decade or so', its 'he only destroys a city that happens to have his target in it' and even then only once he's gotten to it. The credits for KotM even talk about how he's passive when happened upon in the wild and, more importantly, drove other Titans off before they got to human cities.

What kind of damage happened in the process? It doesn't say, but that's the headline the movie presented which meant the important fact was 'Godzilla is actively protecting human cities'. You can see that in Godzilla (2014) and KotM on a smaller scale, even when he's attacked on his way to San Francisco, Godzilla doesn't retaliate against the US military and swims along peacefully beside them. In KotM, he gets nuked by them, destroying his lair, and just brushes it off. Is obvious he doesn't view humanity as his enemy at that point.

Come GvK? ITs the only time he's shown active aggression against humans and its for a simple reason, humanity is aiding two challenges to his reign. They're openly aiding Kong and they have 'something' to do with Ghidorah's revival, which he does sense. Humanity still isn't the target, they're just in the way. Other titans (barrin Mothra)? I wouldn't een call them malevolent, they just don't care about humanity and will gladly trudge through cities to get where they are going but they are also beneficial. Its pretty explicity that the Titan's presence is restoring and reviving the earth's ecosystems from the radiation coming off them. They are healing the biosphere and so long as Godzilla is the Alpha, they largely aren't bothering humanity as evidenced from the fact Rodan's nest has become a tourist destination. The lava pterodactyl that can level a city by flying over it is a popular tourist spot. Co-existence has largely been attained.

Enter Apex. And why the villain is actually a villain. Cause you both are right, humanity SHOULD be working on a way to combat Titans (aside from the Oxygen Destroyer)..but as a 'just in case'. So why's Apex wrong? Well for one they're raising and containing mega-species like the Skullcrawlers in populated areas. Which..well..if those get out, that's pretty awful on its on but its implied they have other mega-species contained as well. For second, they are well aware of the fact their new weapon draws Godzilla's violent attention and they persist in building their bases beneath cities to turn public opinion against Godzilla when he shows up to attack and without caring for why their new weapon is pissing off Godzilla. They're literally using humanity as a shield to develop an anti-Titan weapon.

Why?

Cause the CEO (and Ren Serizawa) can't stand the fact that humanity is living in the Titans' shadows, more specifically Godzilla's shadow. They aren't responding to some current threat Godzilla is posing. They aren't acting against the possibility or evidence that Godzilla is going to turn on humanity. There's no indication of that whatsoever. Its pure ego driving the CEO's actions and he doesn' care its costing innocent people or even his own employees their lives. They don't care to find out why Godzilla goes berserk whenever Mechagodzilla is activated. They want to kill the Titans that are actively restoring the planet because their existence means humanity isn't top dog anymore.

You two aren't entirely wrong, but Apex and their weapon wasn't the solution.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I was talking about san fran then I think it was Boston last film? Plus you can add in Las Vegas, Washington DC and a bunch of other cities that where destroyed off screen last film by other kaiju. You think doing nothing and just hoping Godzilla doesn't decide to take a stroll through a city or try to beat down one of the other monsters in one or is able to protect you against currently unknown threats is the best option? When you can build your own defences? Doesn't seem like a good survival strategy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Humanity awakened the MUTOs. Humanity dug up Monster Zero. Humanity has been the source of 100% of Godzilla's trouble of the past century, and he never attacked a human city without a good reason.

Yhea, once he's on the ground, he don't care about collateral damage. But he won't attack human cities just for the kick of it. If anyhting, you always feel the destruction would have been worse if Godzilla hadn't attacked.

Seriously. What do you think would have happened if Godzilla hadn't attacked Apex? Mechagodzilla would have destroyed everything and everybody in Hong Kong with nothing to stop it. Godzilla's presence in this movie is a net positive for human lives preserved.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

He killed a bunch of people trying to get to Kong - which happened only because the evil CEO took Kong out of containment to try powering Mechagodzilla. There is not a single human casualty in this entire film that is not 100% caused by Apex's superweapon project.
    Last edited by Gnoman; 2021-04-05 at 08:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show

He killed a bunch of people trying to get to Kong - which happened only because the evil CEO took Kong out of containment to try powering Mechagodzilla. There is not a single human casualty in this entire film that is not 100% caused by Apex's superweapon project.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They were going to have to move kong at some point not like they could have left him alone.
    You could just as easily say Mechagodzilla wouldnt exist without Godzilla therefore it's all godzillas fault because you're working backwards from the end. Just because we know it's a film and Mechagodzilla is obviously going to turn evil doesn't mean that Apex arn't 100% right to try and figure out a way to actually let humans have a say in their future as opposed to being at the whims of a giant lizard.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    They were going to have to move kong at some point not like they could have left him alone.
    You could just as easily say Mechagodzilla wouldnt exist without Godzilla therefore it's all godzillas fault because you're working backwards from the end. Just because we know it's a film and Mechagodzilla is obviously going to turn evil doesn't mean that Apex arn't 100% right to try and figure out a way to actually let humans have a say in their future as opposed to being at the whims of a giant lizard.
    Godzilla is not an active predator of humanity, and if Godzilla wanted to destroy humanity, it would have done it a long time ago.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    You two aren't entirely wrong, but Apex and their weapon wasn't the solution.
    I know they aren't. But doing nothing but relying on Godzilla to only slightly smash your city isn't a plan either.

I agree that actively storing things that can also wreck your city AND make GZ go ballistic underneath said city is the height of stupid evil though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kong containment would have eventually failed, leading Godzilla to attack... Skull Island. Where there were only a handful of humans that could have gotten out of the way easily enough.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I know they aren't. But doing nothing but relying on Godzilla to only slightly smash your city isn't a plan either.

I agree that actively storing things that can also wreck your city AND make GZ go ballistic underneath said city is the height of stupid evil though.
    Its the best plan humanity has had so far. The entire Monsterverse's theme can be summed up with a line by Dr. Serizawa in Godzilla 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Serizawa
    "The arrogance of man is thinking nature is in our control... and not the other way around."
    The Titans are presented as much as acts of nature as they are animals and KotM poses the idea that co-existence isn't just a path available to humanity but its the most desirable path forward. And whither you agree with that principle will vary from viewer to viewer, but the movies definitely take the stance that its the right idea. That its better to exist alongside the Titans (Godzilla included) than to try and control them or, worse, kill them.

GvK took that it a natural conclusion when a part of humanity decided it was better to supplant Godzilla and subvert the natural order and try to control it, just for that section to be smacked down because they in no way understood what they were screwing with.

Or to take a lesson from Kong: Skull Island, sometimes there isn't an enemy until you go looking for one. Godzilla might have been destructive, but he wasn't an enemy. Objectively so in fact...until Apex went and MADE him an enemy.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Saw this over the weekend, and it was a lot of fun. I like a good punch up, and I liked that Godzilla had the power and Kong needed to be cunning to hold his own.

Definitely, the issue with Apex isn't wanting defenses, it's wanting dominance. They specifically say it - "we want humanity to be the apex predator again" and they will cut whatever corners they need to reach that goal. Would have been interesting to see Apex VS Charles Dance as competing bad guys.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Humanity no longer being the top dog and wanting to reclaim it's spot as the apex predators are fully understandable and desireable goals for me.

Apex may have chose a doomed approach, but the general goal is laudable and humanity im MV should continue to pursue it.

A well stocked arsenal of oxygen destroyers launchable within minutes stationed around every knowns titan's lair is a starting point
    Last edited by M1982; 2021-04-06 at 03:15 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M1982 View Post
    Humanity no longer being the top dog and wanting to reclaim it's spot as the apex predators are fully understandable and desireable goals for me.

Apex may have chose a doomed approach, but the general goal is laudable and humanity im MV should continue to pursue it.

A well stocked arsenal of oxygen destroyers launchable within minutes stationed around every knowns titan's lair is a starting point
    Do you know nothing of Godzilla Lore?

At best, you buy a few years before humanity gets wrecked by a Titan that's worse than Godzilla, in terms of raw power, destructive potential, and being actively malevolent and oops you killed all the other Titans so there's no one to save your ass.

And it will be all the fault of the people who decided to use the oxygen destroyer.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M1982 View Post

I think if you're coming at it from that angle, you're going to be running headlong into the philosophy of the movie series, which is that cooperation will always win out over wars of dominance. It's even where Godzilla and Kong themselves end up, after spending half the movie pointlessly trying to beat each other half to death.

According to the Monsterverse series, humans trying to be the Dominant Ones Who Destroy All Comers is no different than Ghidorah doing it, or even Godzilla doing it to Kong. It's a plan that is doomed, because you're spending vast amounts of resources and energy in an attempt to destroy things that you could be working with instead.

*EDIT* This actually feeds back to King of the Monsters as well. Godzilla wants to be dominant, but can't beat Ghidorah without Mothra and humanity's help, and as such acknowledges humanity as someone not to mess with unless they start something. Meanwhile, the eco-terrorists in that movie believe that humanity can only exist as a virulent, dominant force that seeks to destroy, and they're proven wrong when people are able to work with Godzilla and Mothra against the titans under Ghidorah's control.
    Last edited by Friv; 2021-04-06 at 10:31 AM.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.