New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Loki (2021)

1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Loki (2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Is it possible this is the prelude to the Secret Wars?

Heroes taken out of time thus allowing deceased heroes to return and villains including Magneto explaining how the X-Men and mutants get introduced to the MCU as they're brought over as a result of this multiversal war?

Is that possible?
    I mean, Not-Quicksilver was reincarnated on Wanda Vision, who is Quicksilver on the X-Men series, but that could be a one shot but him being actually Quicksilver on MCU would be pretty cool.

Heck, they can have a crossover with Deadpool, who has technically died...

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, the judge was Ravonna..?

My immediate thought is that Mobius will turn into Kang, given the way that he was flirting with the judge earlier.

... bloody hell. Owen Wilson as Kang, wouldn't that be a casting choice. (and yes, I know that someone else is already cast as Kang)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

WELP.

Spoiler: Episode 2
    Show
    Wasn't expecting gender-flipped Loki to be the villain. Kinda makes me wonder if they did it to give Tom Hiddleston an out without having to perma-kill Loki in the main universe.

I was expecting the mass bombing of the Sacred Timeline. It was the obvious thing to do with a large number of reset devices. It was going to be the timeline or the TVA or the Timekeepers.

Mad props to the actors playing the "possessed by Loki" roles. Hiddleston brings such a unique vibe to the character that I didn't expect anyone to be able to imitate it, but they did a great job.

I'm also sold on Owen Wilson now. He's not my favorite actor in the world so I was pretty dubious to have him as a major character. Wilson and Hiddleston have great chemistry and I hope we see more of them together in the rest of the series.

Calling it now....

Spoiler: Prediction
    Show
    Timekeepers are dead/absent and have been gone for some time. Ravonna is a pretty high ranking person in the TVA and she has never seen a Timekeeper? Yeah, they're toast and either their absence is being covered up or someone has secretly taken over.

4. - Top - End - #184

NinjaGuy

So

Spoiler: Ep 2
    Show

I'm curious, is there a female Loki in the comics somewhere? Or is she an original creation for the series?

E:
    Spoiler: Ep 2 again
    Show

Also, what on earth did fLoki show that Minutewomen to make her go borderline catatonic?
    Last edited by thatSeniorGuy; 2021-06-16 at 07:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    So

Show

I'm curious, is there a female Loki in the comics somewhere? Or is she an original creation for the series?

E:
    Spoiler: Ep 2 again
    Show

Also, what on earth did fLoki show that Minutewomen to make her go borderline catatonic?
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, Loki went female a few times.
    Dark Avengers: he went female to manipulate Osborn.

During Avengers Dissembled: The Asgardian god were being reborn after being killed in Ragnarok; Loki stole the form meant for Sif and took on the visage of a young woman. This trapped Sif from being reborn. She (he, not sure what Loki wants as pronouns) used the female form to be trusted and played tricks and causing havok.
    Eventually, they forced him to release Sif and turn back to normal.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Thoroughly enjoyable second episode. I liked the first, but really loved this one.

Spoiler: 79
    Show
    I’m tickled we had our time in Pompeii, and Loki declaiming in Latin was absolutely hilarious.

Sadly they got the shape of Vesuvius wrong—they were using the modern remnant as the basis for their model, but the pre-eruption Vesuvius was actually twice as high and much narrower at its tip.

Spoiler: 1985
    Show
    And a little love letter to 80s Renfaires.

I wasn’t entirely convinced with the whole timeline thing in the first episode, but I’m fully onboard now.

Spoiler: Redneck Loki
    Show
    The Loki-possessed redneck was absolutely hilarious, great acting from that fellow.

But I have to wonder--even without his magic, Loki should still be inhumanly stronger and tougher than ordinary Earthfolk. How is he getting tossed around by Redneck Loki? Does the possession impart superhuman strength?

Spoiler: The Other One
    Show
    So, is there an actual female Loki from somewhere in comics lore, or is this new? It sounds like Loki has taken on female guise a few times, but that’s different from an alternate Loki who is female from the get-go.

Of course, our version could just be a variant Loki in female guise, but I have a feeling not.

Also, is it just me, or does the actress have more than a passing resemblance to Rene Russo?

Originally Posted by Rodin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Timekeepers are dead/absent and have been gone for some time. Ravonna is a pretty high ranking person in the TVA and she has never seen a Timekeeper? Yeah, they're toast and either their absence is being covered up or someone has secretly taken over.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I’m getting this vibe pretty strongly as well.

Especially given Moebius’ answer about the end of time being a “work in progress,” which sounds like there’s some covering-up about the lack of cosmic plan engendered by the absence of the Timekeepers.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder how all these wildly different Lokis came to be.

Maybe they were refugees from the pre-TVA multiverse. There, Odin would be visited by grown-up versions of the blue child he just adopted, and decide on different forms in the hope to get it right in this timeline.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    So

Show

Comic and Myth Lore

Spoiler: Lore
    Show

So in myth lore Loki is a shapechanger and has change genders in several stories. Likewise Loki is a parent being of Hel, Vali* who are goddesses and gods respectively. He is also the father of the monstrous wolf Fenrir and the Midgard serpent Jörmungand by Loki’s female mate, the Giantress Angrboða (Hel is also a child of the same union.)

And in one tale Loki assumes the form of a female horse, a mare, and a stallion mated with Loki, and thus Loki was the mother of the eight legged horse Sleipnir who becomes Odin’s horse for Sleipnir is the best of all horses.

—————

Due to all of this the comics has had a Lady Loki(s) since 2007. Except when I used plural here understand Loki has died and been reborn several times and thus each “variant” (to borrow a MCU term) Loki in the comics are different. Loki has figured out many ways to cheat death and avoid the reckoning of the gods / ragnarok, for he is a trickster at heart.

Links to the inks from a 2019 comic to demonstrate this, instead of the main colored page for it does not have any words that spoil an unrelated Loki story.

—————

Sidenote there was a brouhaha that I am only lightly familiar with in the last 3 months.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/disa...s-pride-cover/

Read the link above but the short of it is Marvel posts covers of their comics 3 months prior to publication. This gives comicshops who are brick and mortars time to order comics and guess demand for these comics which have no return policy. Thus there is a Cover reveal and a paragraph of text in a catalog for it is an older business model that made sense decades ago.

Well for years now Marvel and DC do a special issue for Pride that is stand alone and fans buy it even if it is not connected to other stories. The marvel one this year did all their LGBT characters of Marvel but did not include Loki who is genderfluid and is also bisexual.

After some angry fans, and a smaller amount of fans noticing some white space in this collage Marvel in May said they kept Loki off the cover reveal due to the upcoming Loki show even though Loki is out as bisexual and genderfluid for a decade now. Said Marvel Voices issue comes out in 7 days on the 23rd of June 🙂

Edit

Spoiler: Non English Sources
    Show

In some markets they are calling Lady Loki, Sylvia which is a different comics character.

She is in a Young Avengers book, then later Avengers Academy (think teenage Avengers separate from YA), then Illuminati. A minor character sometimes called Enchantress but she is not the main character with that codename.

Here is Lady Loki explaining what she did.

So I am guessing different countries are using different dialogue and plot points due to “cultural reasons.”

Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-06-16 at 07:42 PM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

9. - Top - End - #189
    Spamalot in the Playground

Ah, now we're getting into the thick of things. Great episode!
    Spoiler: Couple thoughts
    Show
    I want a jacket with VARIENT written on the back. I should jot this down. Easiest Halloween costume ever...

Can't hear Miss Minute without picturing Twilight Sparkle. I cursed myself. XD Time travel stories are always complicated things to get right, but so far I think I can follow this one. Nice of the story to answer my question about traveling to the same points repeatedly in a deviant timeline. Very clever of Loki to figure out where the other variant could hide. Great stuff going on.

And, if you live in Alabama, you got 29 years to move. That store gave me By n Large vibes. :3

Show
    Mobius will start eating his lunch in his cubicle, and hide the salt and pepper shakers.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

A few observations and questions:

Spoiler: Loki S1E2 - "The Variant"
    Show
    Is Roxxcart supposed to be related to Roxxon?

Apparently in 2050, a category 8 hurricane is going to kill 10,000+ people. It's worth noting that hurricanes only go up to category 5. This suggests that climate change is going to get so bad that we'll need to add several more categories to it. (Also for context, Hurricane Katrina, the worst hurricane to hit the US in recent memory, 'only' killed around 1,800 people.) As someone who grew up on the gulf coast, that's pretty terrifying.

As someone who has worked retail before, the idea that one day corporations will have 'hurricane sales' but also force their workers to come in and work during category 8 hurricanes is something I find both infuriating and way too believable.

Also, interesting that the complete destruction of Asgard was considered a level 7 cataclysm, but the hurricane in Alabama was level 10. Unless the scale goes backwards?
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2021-06-16 at 10:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

Show

Apparently in 2050, a category 8 hurricane is going to kill 10,000+ people. It's worth noting that hurricanes only go up to category 5. This suggests that climate change is going to get so bad that we'll need to add several more categories to it. (Also for context, Hurricane Katrina, the worst hurricane to hit the US in recent memory, 'only' killed around 1,800 people.) As someone who grew up on the gulf coast, that's pretty terrifying.

As someone who has worked retail before, the idea that one day corporations will have 'hurricane sales' but also force their workers to come in and work during category 8 hurricanes is something I find both infuriating and way too believable.

Also, interesting that the complete destruction of Asgard was considered a level 7 cataclysm, but the hurricane in Alabama was level 10. Unless the scale goes backwards?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The report on Ragnarok said only something like 9700 people died on Asgard, apparently. But that's still pretty close to 10000 for it to be 3 levels lower. Maybe the show runners didnt pay a lot of attention, there. And I think Roxxcart must absolutely be owned by Roxxon Corp.

On not meeting the Time Keepers: I think only Mobius said he hadn't met them, Ravonna did not say that- she's probably one of the few who have.

On the agent going catatonic after Loki possessed her: it's possible that these people were not created by the Time Keepers, as they think, but have had their minds altered. Perhaps Loki's mind invasion breaks some of the conditioning they are operating under.

12. - Top - End - #192

A silly theory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's Loki all the way down.

The timekeepers, Mobius, everyone in the TVA. All Loki.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post

Show
    Mobius will start eating his lunch in his cubicle, and hide the salt and pepper shakers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Salad might still be good with salt and pepper on it.
    Less so with the milk but hey, why not could be a new fad.

14. - Top - End - #194

Huh.

Spoiler: Random musings...
    Show
    So, Fem!Loki. Can't really say I expected that, although it's hardly a new thing in the comics or the myths (and the story of Loki turning into a mare is gloriously weird- if memory serves, it was so the Aesir could default on paying the guy that built Asgard. He had a horse, which was something unfamiliar to them, and so was going to make it under the harsh deadline they imposed and thus get full payment, so they had Loki go and turn into a mare to distract the horse so the guy would miss his deadline). Although, unexpected or not, I hate her stupid little mini-horn hat. Way too understated for any Loki (and yes, I know it's a canonical Loki hat. I still hate it).

Roxxcart sure looks like a Roxxon subsidiary... wonder if that means we'll be getting Dario Agger? The Greek Pantheon is supposed to be showing up in the MCU soon, isn't it?

Also, this is just a silly aside, but the look on 'our' Loki's face when he saw Hulk-Loki (Hulki?) was priceless.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: Redneck Loki
    Show
    The Loki-possessed redneck was absolutely hilarious, great acting from that fellow.

But I have to wonder--even without his magic, Loki should still be inhumanly stronger and tougher than ordinary Earthfolk. How is he getting tossed around by Redneck Loki? Does the possession impart superhuman strength?
    That would be the implication.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post

Show

Presumably the hurricane killed more?

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, this is just a silly aside, but the look on 'our' Loki's face when he saw Hulk-Loki (Hulki?) was priceless.
    I think that was a troll actually. (Trollki?)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-06-17 at 11:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently in 2050, a category 8 hurricane is going to kill 10,000+ people. It's worth noting that hurricanes only go up to category 5. This suggests that climate change is going to get so bad that we'll need to add several more categories to it.
    Spoiler: Category 8
    Show
    I spotted this too, since I also grew up in that region, so the Category 8 hurricane really leaped out at me.

It does indeed suggest that superhurricanes will become more common as climate change intensifies.

Originally Posted by TeChamelon
    Spoiler
    Show
    …the story of Loki turning into a mare is gloriously weird….
    Spoiler: Sweet Distractions
    Show
    I’m glad someone else remembers this tale, which was one of the first things I ever read about Loki. The MCU hasn’t really leaned into his shapechanging aspects—yes, he’s done a few skins, but none of the real shapechanging.

And while they’ve referenced some of the comics (Thor being turned into a frog, etc.), they’ve avoided mentioning this particular episode from the original mythology. A pity, really.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, if they think turning into a horse to have sex with another horse is too squicky, they could mention all the times he turns into birds and fish in the myths.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Sweet Distractions
    Show
    I’m glad someone else remembers this tale, which was one of the first things I ever read about Loki. The MCU hasn’t really leaned into his shapechanging aspects—yes, he’s done a few skins, but none of the real shapechanging.

And while they’ve referenced some of the comics (Thor being turned into a frog, etc.), they’ve avoided mentioning this particular episode from the original mythology. A pity, really.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And wasn’t Odin even riding Slepnir back in the first Thor?

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    And wasn’t Odin even riding Slepnir back in the first Thor?
    Yes

Spoiler: Thor 1, "We'll finish this together"
    Show

Yep in the script the 8 legged horse is mentioned as Sleipnir in directions for the art team but never mentioned by name.

We see Sleipnir not in the narrative flashback of 1300 years ago, but in modern times when Loki convinces Thor and The Warrior Three to crash their party in retaliations for their party getting crashed. Odin shows up, with the 8 legged horse, so if the MCU is like the norse Myth then Odin shows up as Loki's father and Loki's son is also there to chide him in front of Laffey (who is Loki's biological father but he doesn't know that yet.)

AWKARD!!!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Who is that?
    Show
    I totally say Enchantress - power set, look, "daughter" of Loki. Totally Sylvie.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Who?
    Show
    So Marvel has an Enchantress as well?

Never heard of this one before. I suppose it's possible, but until proven, I'll go with the notion that we just have a female version of Loki.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-06-17 at 02:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show
    Ramza's post about the Pride month cover is what decides me. They left Loki off deliberately despite knowing it would spark a controversy, and when they commented on it they only said that it was because of the Loki TV series.

That's very telling to me. They knew that female Loki was coming and didn't want to spoil it by having female Loki on a comic cover right before the TV show aired. The cover that will get released with female Loki comes a week after the reveal. This was planned very carefully, and it casts doubt on the idea that the show character is not Loki.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Show
    So Marvel has an Enchantress as well?

Never heard of this one before. I suppose it's possible, but until proven, I'll go with the notion that we just have a female version of Loki.
    Spoiler: more comics lore
    Show
    Yes, actually there are two Enchantresses. The original Enchantress is named Amora, and she is an Asgardian sorceress known for seduction, using magically enhanced sexuality. She's a bit like Marvel's version of Poison Ivy, in that she is extremely sexualized and often taking control of some man to do her bidding (and wears all green). She has a sister named Lorelei with much the same shtick, though not using as much magic and more just natural Asgardian sex appeal. The second Enchantress is a creation of Loki, hence his "daughter", named Sylvie. She was a teen character, though, so they did not give her so much of the sexuality/seduction schtick. Both Enchantresses are blond, and whenever Loki takes on a female form in the comics she has black hair just like in the male form. But I do think the TV show character is meant to be a female version of Loki- especially given the fact that they went out of their way to show examples of all the diverse forms of Loki variants. However, making her blond, it's possible they are going to somewhat combine the two: her ability to possess people might be a take on Enchantress' ability to force people to do her bidding. It's also possible her name isn't Loki, because she is an alternate reality version of Loki that was born as a female rather than a shapechanged Loki. Of course, when someone is a shapechanger it's hard to say what their "real" form actually is. They are just them, and perhaps just have a preference for a certain look.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2021-06-17 at 06:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Spoiler: more comics lore
    Show
    She has a sister named Lorelei with much the same shtick, though not using as much magic and more just natural Asgardian sex appeal.
    Tangent, but Lorelei had an episode in Agents of SHIELD IIRC.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Tangent, but Lorelei had an episode in Agents of SHIELD IIRC.
    Yes, 1st season, and Sif shows up to catch her. This was back when they still thought they could use the show for tie-ins to the films.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I mean, if they think turning into a horse to have sex with another horse is too squicky, they could mention all the times he turns into birds and fish in the myths.
    In Ragnarok they joke about him turning into a snake.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

It's would probably be more fun to have an "awkward with the Ex" scene with a horselike super that asguard might have interacted with in the past. (like that one constantine/king shark clip)

Is there any marvel cosmic characters who might fit that description?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Colossus in the Playground

I mean, I only know him from when people flipped out over the statue in Ragnarök, but I always thought Beta Ray Bill had a bit of a horse face.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

29. - Top - End - #209

Pasiphae would have loved this type of squick.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    In Ragnarok they joke about him turning into a snake.
    The whole thing was hilarious.

Thor: Yes, [Loki tried to kill] me too. On many many occasions. There was one time, when we were children, he transformed himself into a snake, and he knows that I love snakes. So, I went to pick up the snake to admire it, and he transformed back into himself, and he was like "Blergh, it's me!". And he stabbed me. We were eight at the time.