New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Default How do you feel about "we value your privacy" ?

I don't know which corporation it's from, but it seems that of the comics on the web, and it does seem to mainly be comics, most of those that have a cookies statement, have that one.

I personally don't read the comics that have cookie statements that you have to click to see the comic.

What are other people's reactions?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: How do you feel about "we value your privacy" ?

I know the reason why, and can understand. GDPR.

But that's better than in the past, since otherwise, you'd not get the cookie notice at all. It'd try to install them if you don't have a cookie blocker.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's the kind of commercial phrasing that just exudes hypocrisy. "We value your privacy", more like "we put a value on your privacy", i.e. "we monetize your privacy".

I block cookies and javascript by default, so I generally don't get that message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's just ready-made, and probably comes from the same Google search. We value/respect your privacy, your privacy is our priority... Edge opens a very similar banner to the ones in Goblins at every new tab, asking you to allow Microsoft cookies (you can't choose a different default page for new tab, not without addons).

I think they messed up how this cookie thing was implemented, however. Questionable Content has 19 toggles, Goblins has around ten, plus more than a hundred partners you can turn on and off. One cannot reasonably expect a user to view all of them.

You are also agreeing to a lot of vaguely worded things, and that feels worrisome, even though it probably won't lead anywhere special.

I wish that there had been an implementation similar to that with notifications. Clear, simple, less invasive, easy to turn down.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Any page that uses cookies or any other tracking system should, by law, be required to let the user press "no thanks" and be fully done with it, the only exception being those cookies etc required by the site itself to handle logins and settings.

All third-party tracking should simply be illegal.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    It's the kind of commercial phrasing that just exudes hypocrisy. "We value your privacy", more like "we put a value on your privacy", i.e. "we monetize your privacy".

I block cookies and javascript by default, so I generally don't get that message.
    I would block cookies, but some places, here for example, use them reasonably. I'd have to keep remembering passwords to log in. I do agree that what they mean seems to be "We monetize the lack of privacy we force on you."

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Any page that uses cookies or any other tracking system should, by law, be required to let the user press "no thanks" and be fully done with it, the only exception being those cookies etc required by the site itself to handle logins and settings.

All third-party tracking should simply be illegal.
    Agreed, however they will fight to the death to prevent that coming about.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-04-13 at 06:23 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I once worked for a corporation that would give you a $4 discount if you signed up for a point program & provided your e-mail.

I thought it meant the value to the company of an e-mail was $4.

Later I learned that it was worth far more but if the company offered what it was worth, the customer would realize it's value, become frightened, and not give it.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I thought it meant the value to the company of an e-mail was $4.
    Mm, yeah. It meant that the value of an email address to the consumer was worth just a $4 discount.

Later I learned that it was worth far more but if the company offered what it was worth, the customer would realize it's value, become frightened, and not give it.
    Or what the company would do WITH it...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I don't quite mind "We value your privacy"; It's commercial phrasing, but it's not any worse than most commercial phrasing.

What does make me a bit angry is the "Legitimate Interest" category they have in many of those opt-out lists; that's essentially doublespeak to hide the fact that it's still your personal data, they still need your permission to access it, and there's no reason they should be able to state that they have more right to particular parts of your personal data than others, and thus put it in a separate spot where it's always auto-agreed unless you change it all manually.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-04-25 at 12:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    I don't quite mind "We value your privacy"; It's commercial phrasing, but it's not any worse than most commercial phrasing.

What does make me a bit angry is the "Legitimate Interest" category they have in many of those opt-out lists; that's essentially doublespeak to hide the fact that it's still your personal data, they still need your permission to access it, and there's no reason they should be able to state that they have more right to particular parts of your personal data than others, and thus put it in a separate spot where it's always auto-agreed unless you change it all manually.
    There are some sites that don't even give you the choice to block their access, and that include things that are clearly just third-party data mining within that category.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.