New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Goblin Slayer: Scenario where Fenris suceeded?

So for the context, part of Goblins' issue in OOTS is attributed to Fenris' experiments to see if his theory on "short-lived but proliferating race edging out against others" would work.
    In Goblin Slayer manga/anime, we did see that universe happened to get Goblin succeeding in Fenris' ideas to certain extent (Also no thanks to the guild system where most of the high-level adventurers found Goblin slaying to be beneath them and Goblinslayer--a high-level adventurer--was mocked despite how endemic they are and most of the recruits were killed by them)
    Spoiler: Anime spoiler
    Show
    In fact, had it not for Goblinslayer, the chosen one in a war with demon lord would have been killed in a raid stopped by him.

Also the fact that much of travel and rural life is difficult due to how common Goblin raids are, more so by series' time.
    I know that the anime/manga has different theme (namely "why people who deal with tedious but important task should be respected") than OOTS (why DND-style monster-hero dichotomy can be horrific), but it does feel like a universe where Fenris' original plan for Goblins suceeded.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Goblin Slayer: Scenario where Fenris suceeded?

I thought the raid that GS stopped was averting the classic backstory of "my home town is dead". It doesn't sound like fate or luck to allow the actual hero to die even before the story starts.... Well maybe fate would do that, but then he wouldn't be able to bust out his fiend folio.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    So for the context, part of Goblins' issue in OOTS is attributed to Fenris' experiments to see if his theory on "short-lived but proliferating race edging out against others" would work.
    In Goblin Slayer manga/anime, we did see that universe happened to get Goblin succeeding in Fenris' ideas to certain extent (Also no thanks to the guild system where most of the high-level adventurers found Goblin slaying to be beneath them and Goblinslayer--a high-level adventurer--was mocked despite how endemic they are and most of the recruits were killed by them)
    I don't follow the series very closely, but my impression is that the goblins in Goblin Slayer are basically implied to be a fully parasitic species with no discernible redeeming features who are more analogous to terrestrial demons or rapey xenomorphs than a beleaguered people making questionable moral choices. (The first issue opens with the protagonist caving in the skulls of goblin children and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and someone to mention "that makes you a monster", but it never comes.) I'm not sure the comparison with OotS is straightforward.

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked out the final episode of season 1 and they're pretty much doubling down on the 'kill goblin babies' angle. Not only is it permissible, but failing to do so means dooming yourself and others to death and torment. Mercy is for idiots, apparently.

Go read Berserk. Same basic premise but the art is better and there's a lot more nuance.

Last edited by Lacuna Caster; 2021-07-26 at 02:42 PM.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    I don't follow the series very closely, but my impression is that the goblins in Goblin Slayer are basically implied to be a fully parasitic species with no discernible redeeming features who are more analogous to terrestrial demons or rapey xenomorphs than a beleaguered people making questionable moral choices. (The first issue opens with the protagonist caving in the skulls of goblin children and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and someone to mention "that makes you a monster", but it never comes.) I'm not sure the comparison with OotS is straightforward.

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked out the final episode of season 1 and they're pretty much doubling down on the 'kill goblin babies' angle. Not only is it permissible, but failing to do so means dooming yourself and others to death and torment. Mercy is for idiots, apparently.

Go read Berserk. Same basic premise but the art is better and there's a lot more nuance.

Well, I get your point.
    But part of me kinda see the setting--ignoring the xenomorph one--had "what if Fenris' original plan for goblinoid succeeded" (at least "tweak" it).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The two settings' take on goblins have so little in common, that I don't think you can really make a comparison.

Also, had Fenrir's plan succeeded, OOTS goblins would not live on the outskirts of society in small tribes scraping a living by raiding the PC races* bigger settlements, that's kind of the point.

*Not to mention all the rape and the other **** GS goblins do.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.