New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default MCU Phase 4 Trailer

This just came out earlier today:

Spoiler
    Show
    For me, the only item of note is that Captain Marvel 2 will now be "The Marvels," which I guess is better than "Captain Marvel 2 with Ms. Marvel and Monica Rambeau."

The five seconds they showed us of the Eternals was...well, generically superheroey, so I'll add this to my "wait for it on TNT" list.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MCU Phase 4 Trailer

Cool to see dates for everything - which are hopefully pretty solid at this point, I assume, if they're highlighting them so prominently like this - as well as official titles for the ones that didn't have one yet. Didn't even know there was another Ant-Man movie in the works. And the Fantastic 4 tease actually works to be surprisingly subtle considering how it's done in a "Phase 4" trailer, if you don't recognize that as the particular way their logo is usually done you might not notice that's what it is; kudos to them there.

Beyond that, nothing much to say. But honestly that's just how I am with movie trailers it feels like. I'll almost certainly be going to see all of the same ones and skipping all of the same ones regardless of what trailers show.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Of course the Eternals are generically superhero.

They were Jack Kirby's babies. If Jack didn't create or co-create a well known superhero then he probably wrote something that contributed heavily to their lore. The man more or less defined superheroes.

If the Eternals Movie isn't full of Classic Style cosmic Superhero crap then it's failed at its basic premise.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-05-03 at 04:17 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, the first 1:45 of that was some of the most self-indulgent promotional material I have ever seen.

All in all there's maybe 5 seconds worth of Eternals material in there that's new, everything else has already premiered elsewhere or is just a bunch of dates that COVID has taught us do not mean anything.

I hope the VFX guys got paid well for their trouble.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Someone who can count and write, how many movies and what dates again? Please
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Thoughts:

• I guess Carol didn't make enough of an impression to keep her title on the sequel
    • Fantastic Four is obviously just there to drive views; no title, no release date, no new anything
    • For Eternals: while I know it's someone different the guy in the blue shirt at 2:22 looks almost exactly like Sebastian Stan (Bucky for those unaware). Marvel, if you're reading this: either give the guy a different haircut, or abuse the fact in-universe by having them masquerade as each other at some point. I don't care which.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Someone who can count and write, how many movies and what dates again? Please
    Black Widow - July 9th, 2021
    Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings - September 3rd, 2021
    The Eternals - November 5th, 2021
    Spider-Man: No Way Home - December 17th, 2021
    Dr. Strange: In the Multiverse of Madness - March 25th, 2022
    Thor: Love and Thunder - May 6th, 2022
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - July 8, 2022
    The Marvels - November 11, 2022
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - February 17th, 2023
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol 3 - May 5th, 2023

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Interesting that they're skipping over Christmas 2022.

9. - Top - End - #9

These are all movies, yeah? I thought Shang Chi was a Netflix show for some reason, and I just wanted to be sure. Likewise Eternals, which I know nothing about at ALL, so a small (read that right Rater, small, please, SMALL) primer on who they are please?

I'm excited for all of these, but the Black Panther one is gonna be like, soul crushing. Wakanda Forever, and it's extremely going to be about the tragic and untimely death of Chadwick Boseman and I am... very sad.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: MCU Phase 4 Trailer

So the Reign of X, I mean 10. 10 movies in only 2 years, not counting the Disney Plus tv shows. Compared to 23 movies in 11 years.

I hope they are good , at least a B- in consistency 😌

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    That is Avatar’s 2 slot and Disney owns Fox now.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    These are all movies, yeah? I thought Shang Chi was a Netflix show for some reason, and I just wanted to be sure. Likewise Eternals, which I know nothing about at ALL, so a small (read that right Rater, small, please, SMALL) primer on who they are please?
    They are Jack Kirby creations that lack a verb. Space Gods who do [What]? Thus Kirby’s DC Space Gods get all the love since he was switching sides from Marvel and DC all the time and he actually did something with the DC stuff with a similar concept with the New Gods, Darkseid, Jimmy Olson, etc.

In the 00s Marvel has Neil Gaiman do a miniseries to give them a verb. It is okay but did not succeed at the goal, still no Verb. Now in 2020 2021 there is a new series from The Wicked and Divine / Young Avengers Vol 2 / X-Men / Journey into Mystery writer Kieron Gillen who may give the Space Gods a Verb. I have not started reading it for there are only 4 issues so far.

My point here is to illustrate they are a blank slate. More blanky for the MCU to craft something than the 2015 Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-05-03 at 05:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

[*]I guess Carol didn't make enough of an impression to keep her title on the sequel
    I think it's more likely that it's because it is going to serve as the film debut of adult Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan, both who are both known as Captain/Ms Marvel, as well. Hence 'The Marvels,' as there are at least three of them now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Is that even unusual? The only film franchise I recall consistently hitting Christmas releases for a while was Star Wars, not Marvel.

Shang-Chi is a film, yes. Can't help you on the Eternals though, I hadn't heard of them before their film was announced either. I'm tending towards giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt when they bring in lesser-known characters though, considering they turned the Guardians of the Galaxy into one of my favorite parts of their films.

I'm excited for all of these, but the Black Panther one is gonna be like, soul crushing. Wakanda Forever, and it's extremely going to be about the tragic and untimely death of Chadwick Boseman and I am... very sad.
    Yeah, I'll be curious to see how they even can handle that, considering it seems doubtful they exactly planned for it, and well, he's obviously not around to shoot any new material. I imagine they'll pass the mantle off to his sister, but what can they even do with T'challa himself?

So the Reign of X, I mean 10. 10 movies in only 2 years, not counting the Disney Plus tv shows. Compared to 23 movies in 11 years.

They're obviously condensing things from their original plan - when they first announced these the first six of them were our 2020-21 films, if memory serves, but then Covid happened. Now it looks like they're cramming the schedule a bit so that everything still happens, but later plans don't get delayed any worse than absolutely necessary. Considering how their track record is thus far, I don't see much reason to worry about the quality, at least not at this point.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I hope so too, though keep in mind that should be 10 movies in 3 years originally given some of these have been in the can for awhile. Plus 7 Disney+ shows set in the MCU, speaking of which,

Has there been any word if the Disney+ premier thing is lasting beyond Black Widow? My wife is seriously looking forward to Shang-Chi, but not sure if we're going to be comfortable heading back to the theaters just yet (We're both vaccinated, but the kids are going to be awhile).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I think it's more likely that it's because it is going to serve as the film debut of adult Monica Rambeau and Kamala Khan, both who are both known as Captain/Ms Marvel, as well. Hence 'The Marvels,' as there are at least three of them now.
    This was kind of obvious when you gave child Monica like 10 minutes of screen time in the first movie, and how two “roommates” were talking how Carol Danvers was the 2nd mom to Monica, she was Aunt Carol. Including all that next generation stuff with how to color Carol’s costume.

Now these characters have no connection in the comics. Captain Marvel (Monica) picks up the code name when the Shazam / Superman Expy Captain Marvel died of cancer as a new hero. Carol at the time was going by Ms. Marvel and later Binary as a code name. Only in the 2010s did Carol take up the title Captain. Likewise there are other Captain Marvels which are the siblings of Teddy Altman / Hulkling who are the descendants of that Kree Superhero.

My point here is the lore is complicated and the MCU decided to streamline it and make Monica being the Step Daughter of Carol, and these two women have unresolved feelings / tensions for Carol is the deadbeat mom who went off into space and kind of abandoned the family. (Sure there is good reasons for this but children do not respond well with unprocessed feelings when a parent abandons the family unit.) And Monica now has superpowers since WandaVISION.

In sum what JadedDM said!

15. - Top - End - #15

I'll try to keep it as short and simple as I can.

Millions of years ago, a race of beings called the Celestials, thousand foot tall cosmic super gods who look like giant robots, came to Earth and experimented on ancient Homo erectus.

With one population of Homo erectus, they placed several genetic factors that did nothing at the time, but would grant superhuman abilities or trigger further mutation under the correct stimuli. Millions of years later, these genes are responsible for most superhumans. Mutants were the intended result, with people like Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the Hulk as byproducts. The Inhumans are the result of further tampering by other aliens.

With another group, they were made highly prone to random mutation and highly susceptible to external mutagenic effects. These became the Deviants, Homo descendus, whose genetic variety is so extreme that each individual member is their own unique subspecies. Most of them are just really ugly people with minor physical superhuman abilities,but ever so often random chance gives you a jackpot winner. In ancient times the Deviants ruled an empire that controlled the earth(one of several Lemurias) but in the modern-day, most of them just want to be left alone.

With a third group, they were elevated, given superhuman strength, toughness, speed, intellect, the ability to fly, and were turned into living furnaces that generated cosmic power almost from nothing which could be used for for a variety of purposes. These beings, Homo immortalis, are the Eternals.

The purpose of the Eternals is, essentially, to babysit the world. They "correct excessive deviation" (kill any Deviant that starts messing with humanity) and make sure humanity doesn't destroy itself or get destroyed by outside forces... But as it turns out, the purpose for which the Celestials created superhumans has since been achieved, so now the Eternals are kind of... Eh.

The Eternals are... Eternal. Each of them is biologically immortal and their fundamental nature does not change, they keep repeating the same patterns over the course of so long. The exception is if they go insane like Sprite did a while back.

The Eternals possess powerful regenerative abilities and even if their body is destroyed beyond their ability to heal they're still technically alive. Eternals have been revised from atomization by gathering up all the atoms that made up their body at the time and reincorporating them.

In addition to this, the Eternals are equipped with a massive computer that circumnavigated(and in fact claims) to be the Earth itself which can manually resurrect them, among other things. This also includes backing up their minds in case something happens

sometimes they are resurrected by creating a new body wholesale and transferring their souls into the new vessel, and it was recently established that they sometimes take advantage of this to change their look. This can range from minor things to major things like changing apparent ethnicity.

The most extreme example is Sprite was male when introduced(He was explicitly the in-universe explanation for Peter Pan) but after being revived and reverted to a previous backup after being killed after going insane, she is now female because she was female at the time of her last non-insane backup.

...and this is a lot longer than I intended. Sorry.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, all movies. There are going to be shows on top of that (Loki, She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, there are more).

Eternals are super-powerful immortals who protect humanity from a race called the ‘Deviants’ who are prone to wild genetic mutations. Both races were made by the Celestials. (Who you may remember from Guardians of the Galaxy but just in case you don’t, ‘Celestials’ = ‘space gods’.) The Eternals are the inspiration for a number of figures in Earth’s mythology (EX: Athena, Hermes...).

Second this, I winced when I saw the title card. I knew they were making a sequel so it isn’t a surprise, just .

That is Avatar’s 2 slot and Disney owns Fox now.
    Ah. Thank you, that explains it.

I’m aware, but they could have called it, say, “Captain Marvel 2: Marvel Legion” or some other relevant subtitle. They chose not to, which tells me they’re trying to distance it from Captain Marvel 1.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rater, there's some kind of connection between the Eternals and Thanos too, isn't there?

I guess Carol didn't make enough of an impression to keep her title on the sequel
    *eyeroll*

JadedDM beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

18. - Top - End - #18

The Eternals are the inspiration for a number of figures in Earth’s mythology (EX: Athena, Hermes...).
    Kinda.

That was the original intent, but that was when they were their own thing separate from the rest of the universe.

After they were integrated into Earth 616 however, they did some hasty retcons about being confused for such beings(in particular, there was a meeting between Zuras and Thena with Zeus and Athena to clear up the misunderstanding about the four being confused for each other) but.

But, but, not all of them are the case. The Forgotten one is The Gilgamesh, and while he was only confused for Hercules he apparently did do the cleaning of the Augean stables on Herc's behalf.

And Sersi is just... The Circe. She claims that the Greeks didn't know how to sell her name.

Edit @Psyren.

In the comics, yes, but in the movies, Thanos's origin story is entirely different and he's honestly a very different character.

In the comics, Thanos is a Titanian Eternal, the results of Eternals settling on the moon Titan and trying to make more of themself.

Biologically e's an Eternal with "Deviant Syndrome," a condition that makes him stronger than he should be but also deforms him in a way similar to the Deviants, though despite it's name it's actually implied to be a form of the X-Gene.. Which implies that there was some cross contamination between the experiments.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-05-03 at 05:43 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

I’m aware, but they could have called it, say, “Captain Marvel 2: Marvel Legion” or some other relevant subtitle. They chose not to, which tells me they’re trying to distance it from Captain Marvel 1.
    Taking aside previous sequels with odd naming conventions, if that was the case, why bring Brie Larson back at all? Monica and Kamala will already have powers by then, and "she's in space" could just be the eternal excuse why she never comes back.

20. - Top - End - #20

Shang-Chi is a film, yes. Can't help you on the Eternals though, I hadn't heard of them before their film was announced either. I'm tending towards giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt when they bring in lesser-known characters though, considering they turned the Guardians of the Galaxy into one of my favorite parts of their films.

Yeah, I'll be curious to see how they even can handle that, considering it seems doubtful they exactly planned for it, and well, he's obviously not around to shoot any new material. I imagine they'll pass the mantle off to his sister, but what can they even do with T'challa himself?
    Oh I have no doubt I'll come out of Eternals loving them all like with Guardians, but at least with Guardians I did, slightly, know who these z-listers were. I don't even KNOW the Eternals

The best thing they could do is have it be mentioned that... T'Challa has been suffering in silence from his injuries, and he died peacefully after the struggle. This would be sort of canonizing the reality of Boseman, honouring his struggle. The film is gonna almost certainly be about his younger sister getting her wish to have the throne way, way, WAY too soon than she'd wanted, and dealing with that.

They should also donate like 80% of the film proceeds to cancer research and stuff.

This was kind of obvious when you gave child Monica like 10 minutes of screen time in the first movie, and how two “roommates” were talking how Carol Danvers was the 2nd mom to Monica, she was Aunt Carol. Including all that next generation stuff with how to color Carol’s costume.

Now these characters have no connection in the comics. Captain Marvel (Monica) picks up the code name when the Shazam / Superman Expy Captain Marvel died of cancer as a new hero. Carol at the time was going by Ms. Marvel and later Binary as a code name. Only in the 2010s did Carol take up the title Captain. Likewise there are other Captain Marvels which are the siblings of Teddy Altman / Hulkling who are the descendants of that Kree Superhero.

My point here is the lore is complicated and the MCU decided to streamline it and make Monica being the Step Daughter of Carol, and these two women have unresolved feelings / tensions for Carol is the deadbeat mom who went off into space and kind of abandoned the family. (Sure there is good reasons for this but children do not respond well with unprocessed feelings when a parent abandons the family unit.) And Monica now has superpowers since WandaVISION.
    Excited for super powered lesbian family drama.

Also I'm realizing I should take some time to actually watch the Netflix shows...

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

No apologies needed that helped a bit. So they're like super Inhumans, but not based on Kree stuff.

Yep, all movies. There are going to be shows on top of that (Loki, She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, there are more).

Eternals are super-powerful immortals who protect humanity from a race called the ‘Deviants’ who are prone to wild genetic mutations. Both races were made by the Celestials. (Who you may remember from Guardians of the Galaxy but just in case you don’t, ‘Celestials’ = ‘space gods’.) The Eternals are the inspiration for a number of figures in Earth’s mythology (EX: Athena, Hermes...).

Second this, I winced when I saw the title card. I knew they were making a sequel so it isn’t a surprise, just .

That helps too, thanks. I wonder if we'll see Eternity (from Guardians) in Eternals...

Honestly I think it's the length of the title. Captain Marvel sells well. Captain Marvel 2 Marvel Legion does not. Marvel Legion sells quite well.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Why would they do that? Captain Marvel made bank.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Taking aside previous sequels with odd naming conventions, if that was the case, why bring Brie Larson back at all? Monica and Kamala will already have powers by then, and "she's in space" could just be the eternal excuse why she never comes back.
    Spit-balling here:

• They had plans for Captain Marvel and with the whole Covid mess they don’t want to muck them up further.
    • Ms. Marvel in the comics had a strong link to Carol. Monica in the MCU has a strong link to Carol. If they dumped Brie they’d have to rework the former and retcon the latter.
    • She does have a fan base, even if her film was kind of middling and they didn’t really give her much screen time in Endgame.
    • Contractual obligations.
    • Or I’ve got it backwards and this is supposed to be a new team ala Avengers and Captain Marvel 2 will come later, but previous announcements said there was a Captain Marvel 2 coming in the same stretch this has been announced for, so I doubt this is something different.

I’m not Disney or Marvel, obviously, but I think it’s notable that every single previous film has the title character in the title...but not this one.

Why would they do that? Captain Marvel made bank.
    I don’t know, I’m speculating. But turn that around: because Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars, why wouldn’t they want to underscore that she’s in it to draw viewers? Yet they aren’t.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2021-05-03 at 06:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

No apologies needed that helped a bit. So they're like super Inhumans, but not based on Kree stuff.
    Otherway around, actually.

The Kree were experimenting on Homo s neanderthalus who carried the precursor gene that mutated to become the X-Gene in humans.

These experiments involved splicing the subjects not only with their own DNA, but with the DNA of an eternal body that they just kind of found and modifying them to be Eternal like, in the hopes that if they successes they could then retroengineer then Inhumans to make themselves more like the Eternals.

They failed horribly.

The typical inhuman is stronger, tughnes, and more athletic than a typical human to a superhuman degree, but they're nowhere near the level of the Eternals.

Blackbolt, prior to screwing up his power by setting off the Terrigen Bomb, was the cloest to what the Kree wanted... After thousands of years of further experimentation and selective breeding.

The Inhuman Gene, the form that experiments with terrigen mutated the proto-x-gene into, which is the source of most(but not all) of the Inhuman's powers also lacks all of the safety measures that the X-Gene has. With the X-Gene you get accidents and situations where outside factors mess with your power(like Cylops landing on his head when he jumped out of a burning plane and brain damage prevents him from turning his powers off) but normally barring trauma you're not going to get powers that will inherently harm you or that you can't eventually learn to control.

Inhumans have no such benefit. After rediscovering Terigen and using it to activate their superpower gene since it doesn't activate on its own, they started doing extensive genetic testing to see how likely it is that you'd have something go horribly wrong and if you odds were too high you did not get to undergo terrigenis.

They practiced soft eugenics, marrying based on genetic test results, to increase the odds of getting children who'd get cool powers instead of dying or becoming severely disabled.

Inhumans with recent human ancestry were also denied terigensis, because... Well, you can undergo terrigensis without the Inhuman Gene, since eTerrigen is a mutagen in it's own right and brings out what's inside you, but... Baseline humans who undergo terrigensis drop dead about a week later. So Inhumans with recent human ancestry were denied terrigensis for their own safety.

This bears out, by the way: When Black Bolt's terrigen bomb went off and spread Terigen mist all over the world, A lot of the inhuman hybrids this was meant to empower died.

Inferno gained pire powers. The rest of his famil melted.

Kamala Kahn became the most powerful metamorph on earth. Her father got cancer.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

Millions of years ago, a race of beings called the Celestials, thousand foot tall cosmic super gods who look like giant robots, came to Earth and experimented on ancient Homo erectus.

With one population of Homo erectus, they placed several genetic factors that did nothing at the time, but would grant superhuman abilities or trigger further mutation under the correct stimuli. Millions of years later, these genes are responsible for most superhumans. Mutants were the intended result, with people like Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, and the Hulk as byproducts. The Inhumans are the result of further tampering by other aliens.

With another group, they were made highly prone to random mutation and highly susceptible to external mutagenic effects. These became the Deviants, Homo descendus, whose genetic variety is so extreme that each individual member is their own unique subspecies. Most of them are just really ugly people with minor physical superhuman abilities,but ever so often random chance gives you a jackpot winner. In ancient times the Deviants ruled an empire that controlled the earth(one of several Lemurias) but in the modern-day, most of them just want to be left alone.

With a third group, they were elevated, given superhuman strength, toughness, speed, intellect, the ability to fly, and were turned into living furnaces that generated cosmic power almost from nothing which could be used for for a variety of purposes. These beings, Homo immortalis, are the Eternals.

The purpose of the Eternals is, essentially, to babysit the world. They "correct excessive deviation" (kill any Deviant that starts messing with humanity) and make sure humanity doesn't destroy itself or get destroyed by outside forces... But as it turns out, the purpose for which the Celestials created superhumans has since been achieved, so now the Eternals are kind of... Eh.

The Eternals are... Eternal. Each of them is biologically immortal and their fundamental nature does not change, they keep repeating the same patterns over the course of so long. The exception is if they go insane like Sprite did a while back.

The Eternals possess powerful regenerative abilities and even if their body is destroyed beyond their ability to heal they're still technically alive. Eternals have been revised from atomization by gathering up all the atoms that made up their body at the time and reincorporating them.

In addition to this, the Eternals are equipped with a massive computer that circumnavigated(and in fact claims) to be the Earth itself which can manually resurrect them, among other things. This also includes backing up their minds in case something happens

sometimes they are resurrected by creating a new body wholesale and transferring their souls into the new vessel, and it was recently established that they sometimes take advantage of this to change their look. This can range from minor things to major things like changing apparent ethnicity.

The most extreme example is Sprite was male when introduced(He was explicitly the in-universe explanation for Peter Pan) but after being revived and reverted to a previous backup after being killed after going insane, she is now female because she was female at the time of her last non-insane backup.

Actually, this is one of the best summary of what the hell the Eternals are actually about. I swear to you I tried absorbing video or text explaining it, and I never got anything more than "power magic beings from ancient history"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Spamalot in the Playground

I don’t know, I’m speculating. But turn that around: because Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars, why wouldn’t they want to underscore that she’s in it to draw viewers? Yet they aren’t.
    IF there were some kind of motive of intentionally minimizing Carol in the title, no doubt it's to insulate her from the rabid haters that would start review bombing the movie sight unseen the moment they saw the words "Captain" and "Marvel" next to each other in the title.

But I expect a nice Brie-heavy trailer to start them frothing in a few months anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    IF there were some kind of motive of intentionally minimizing Carol in the title, no doubt it's to insulate her from the rabid haters that would start review bombing the movie sight unseen the moment they saw the words "Captain" and "Marvel" next to each other in the title.

But I expect a nice Brie-heavy trailer to start them frothing in a few months anyway
    I think we should start to take bet about which will smile the less in the trailer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Actually, this is one of the best summary of what the hell the Eternals are actually about. I swear to you I tried absorbing video or text explaining it, and I never got anything more than "power magic beings from ancient history"
    To be fair that is a lot of dense lore I figure is nearly certain to be rewritten for mcu.

About the only thing I'd bet on being the same is the name of the key Eternals, some connection to the Celestials, and them having been around super heroing since the start of human history.

Any attempts to define anything more specific is likely to be futile.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    For Eternals: while I know it's someone different the guy in the blue shirt at 2:22 looks almost exactly like Sebastian Stan (Bucky for those unaware).
    I’m glad I’m not the only one who had that impression. Had to watch it twice to be sure it wasn’t him.

Originally Posted by Ramza00
    They are Jack Kirby creations that lack a verb.
    I cannot work out what you mean about a verb here.

Originally Posted by Zevox
    Yeah, I'll be curious to see how they even can handle that, considering it seems doubtful they exactly planned for it, and well, he's obviously not around to shoot any new material.
    Well, they may incorporate some unused footage, a la Carrie Fisher, but not sure how that would go over.

Originally Posted by Rater202
    The purpose of the Eternals is, essentially, to babysit the world…and make sure humanity doesn't destroy itself or get destroyed by outside forces.
    So, they’ve been vacationing on the other side of the universe the past few years?

They chose not to, which tells me they’re trying to distance it from Captain Marvel 1.
    Well, they’re including her logo in the A of the title, so that seems like pretty deliberate continuity with the first movie. I don’t see this as distancing, more of an expansion.

But turn that around: because Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars, why wouldn’t they want to underscore that she’s in it to draw viewers? Yet they aren’t.
    Logo.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Because not all movies exist to make an individual person happy. It may be baffling to you, but it makes sense to fans who liked that 2019 movie

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I cannot work out what you mean about a verb here.
    I could not sense out how short La Zodiac wanted so I may have undershot.

This is a rant on a different website by a comic book nerd but his day job is a Professor of Political theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Levy in 2019
    I think the Eternals are boring because their basic character concept lacks a verb.

"Secret space gods." or, really, "Secret space gods by Kirby." No verb.

Kirby's Eternals books were the campaign notes by a first-time DM. Millennia of world-building, no actual plot.
    The Celestials were created to be the Eternals' backstory, and everyone in the rest of Marvel's history has loved using the Celestials. Coolest Kirby visuals ever! And they do stuff: They create life, seed diversity, and then judge and execute.
    The Eternals... wait for the Celestials to come back. And they hide.

Sometimes they fight their ugly cousins the Celestials also created.

But mostly they wait and they hide. While possessed of godlike beauty. Unlike their ugly cousins.
    Verbs!

"Protects a world that hates and fears them"
    "fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way"
    "work together when we needed them to, to fight the battles we never could."
    "accepts the responsibility that comes with great power, protects the innocent, as he had not protected his uncle."
    "avenges their death by spending the rest of his life warring on all criminals by scaring the hell out of them"
    "ventures forth into man's world, to teach peace."
    versus: beautiful space gods.

Who, to the degree that they do anything, mostly hide and wait.
    Now Levy has admitted since then the Eternals are more demigods tasks with an objective by the real space gods the Eternals. Thus they sit and wait and thus are boring. And Levy is glad the 2021 comics have a tag line with a verb, it being “Never Die, Never Win.” And in the first issue we learned the Eternals can resurrect and thus they are trapped in a Nietzschean eternal recurrence, and one of the characters in the comics switched genders to match the gender of this upcoming movie. I do not know if this was done artfully for I am waiting for a movie and an end of the arc for the 2021 comic only dropped in January.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-05-03 at 07:20 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Flumph

I don't think you're completely wrong. But I think it's still a far way from Disney distancing themselves from Captain Marvel. But here's how I see it. Marvel kind of dropped the ball and were later than they should have been getting a female-led Superhero film out (thank you to Ike Perlmutter for that). They've also found since that there is an audience for a more diverse superhero film cast with the success of things like Black Panther or Into the Spider-Verse and they will want to capitalize. The Marvels will come out a year after Ms. Marvel comes out on Disney+, and I'm guessing Disney has a fair amount of hope riding on that character.

Given that both Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau will be in the sequel, I'm sure Disney wants to appeal to fans coming from either Ms. Marvel or WandaVision that both characters aren't lesser parts of the film. I see it more expanding the base they want to draw in rather than shutting out Carol.

And I think they'll underscore Carol being in it when the poster/trailer comes out. Unless Ms. Marvel is a runaway pop culture hit in which case she will be shunted off to the corner of the poster.

Because not all movies exist to make an individual person happy. It may be baffling to you, but it makes sense to fans who liked that 2019 movie
    I'm one of them. I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was putting Captain Marvel down. I was just stating that if Disney wanted to ditch Brie Larson's take on Carol Danvers, they already have a built in excuse.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2021-05-03 at 07:08 PM.