New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MCU Phase 4 Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by bigbigXuan View Post
    Hey Guys,

is there any movie about Morbius, isnt it? or am I confusing things. Or has morbius nothing to do with the MCU?? Sorry for that dumb question
    Morbius is in the Sony universe; whether or not it’s in the MCU as well is honestly up in the air at this point due to rights issues and contractual obligations. But the short answer is, Marvel/Disney isn’t going to be including Morbius in their advertising any time soon. If it helps the last I heard Morbius is coming out in January of next year.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    The MCU have the freedom of making it so for real. It's more straightforward, like the classical antiquity version of the Asgardians from the Thor movies.
    This is genuinely why I just don't put any expectation to The Eternals. It's clear they will just make their own story, and establish their own mythology with it (either integrate it with existing mythologies or just outright make new ones), and try to make it work, instead of insisting they stick with the original comic.

Let's be clear, the original comic might have been cool at the time, but its lore is just so weird and convoluted, there's a reason it takes 8 paragraph to even explain the concept of the Eternals. Let's do away with it.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Morbius is in the Sony universe; whether or not it’s in the MCU as well is honestly up in the air at this point due to rights issues and contractual obligations. But the short answer is, Marvel/Disney isn’t going to be including Morbius in their advertising any time soon. If it helps the last I heard Morbius is coming out in January of next year.
    The SPUMC universe, they could pick any code name and Sony execs choose Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters, aka SPUMC.

I had to share this fact, it explains why certain movie companies make all the money and other movie companies find it hard to create buzz.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Rater202
    These became the Deviants, Homo descendus, whose genetic variety is so extreme that each individual member is their own unique subspecies.
    I recognize this is comic book science, but that’s not how a subspecies works. If there isn’t a population exhibiting the same diagnostic traits, there’s no basis to establish a subspecies. Unique individuals aren’t subspecies, just unique individuals.

...someone who shouldn't even be in the same genus as modern Homo s sapiens having a child via a random perfectly normal human male.
    This would be a strong argument for reconsidering the taxonomy involved.

A genetic accelerator can simulate thousands of years of evolution in just a few seconds.
    Comic book “science” just hurts sometimes.

Originally Posted by Zevox
    I wasn't thinking much about Maria in that equation partly because of the big time skip between films meaning that her survival was not guaranteed....
    Speaking of the timeskip, has the MCU ever addressed Carol Danvers’ apparent lack of aging? Or do we just assume that Great Cosmic Power automatically grants immortality?

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    Given Monica’s reaction in WandaVision, that could be a fun thing to track. Maybe Disney could make it a frown-off.
    They should do lunch with Bucky. Steely haunted stare vs. cosmic metahuman frown.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    The SPUMC universe, they could pick any code name and Sony execs choose Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters, aka SPUMC.

I had to share this fact, it explains why certain movie companies make all the money and other movie companies find it hard to create buzz.
    ...fair observation. Wow, Sony, just... wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Speaking of the timeskip, has the MCU ever addressed Carol Danvers’ apparent lack of aging? Or do we just assume that Great Cosmic Power automatically grants immortality?
    As far as I'm aware, the latter, though I'd guess the assumption is supposed to be more slower/no aging process than immortality.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

This is why I go with SUMaC instead. It’s admittedly not much better, but it’s at least pronounceable.

I always assumed it was something to do with whatever process they used to make the Kree blood stick. But they never came out and said it though.

They should do lunch with Bucky. Steely haunted stare vs. cosmic metahuman frown.
    Could be fun.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

This would be a strong argument for reconsidering the taxonomy involved.
    I mean, not really. Gerry's just a baby, so we don't know if he's a viable hybrid just yet.

In the Marvel universe, it seems that anything modified by the Celestials or descended from such can interbreed: Notably, Hulkling is the son of a Kree Supersoldier and a Skrull Princess despite Kree being Mammals from the Milky Way Galaxy and Skrulls being reptiles from the Andromeda Galaxy.

It's not known if he can reproduce and considering that he's married to another man I'm not sure that's gonna come up anytime soon.

Whether the hybrids are viable is another matter entirely.

It's just... Jessica in particular is a really weird example because of just how far she should be from another human being.

And yes, the High Evlolutionary's evolution technology is... He deson't seem to actually understand how evolution works.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    This is genuinely why I just don't put any expectation to The Eternals. It's clear they will just make their own story, and establish their own mythology with it (either integrate it with existing mythologies or just outright make new ones), and try to make it work, instead of insisting they stick with the original comic.

Let's be clear, the original comic might have been cool at the time, but its lore is just so weird and convoluted, there's a reason it takes 8 paragraph to even explain the concept of the Eternals. Let's do away with it.
    Yes. The MCU is not a movie adaptation of the Marvel characters and stories. Industry-wise it is that, but storytelling-wise it's an alternate take or reboot of those characters. Like an Ultimate universe, but audiovisual instead of a comic. So I always come at it expecting this level of freedom for the characters that we mostly know from the main Marvel comic stories. I'm not aware of there ever being a Ultimate Eternals comic, but seeing what the Ultimate Fantastic Four were like I would imagine that the MCU Eternals will probably still be a conservative adaptation.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Yes. The MCU is not a movie adaptation of the Marvel characters and stories. Industry-wise it is that, but storytelling-wise it's an alternate take or reboot of those characters. Like an Ultimate universe, but audiovisual instead of a comic. So I always come at it expecting this level of freedom for the characters that we mostly know from the main Marvel comic stories. I'm not aware of there ever being a Ultimate Eternals comic, but seeing what the Ultimate Fantastic Four were like I would imagine that the MCU Eternals will probably still be a conservative adaptation.
    Exactly. Which is why being explained what the Eternals are *about* instead of going on the story of the Eternals is actually what's needed. Because the actual story of the Eternals is not what the movie will try to capture.

Like.. what's special about the Eternals that don't exist for the other Marvel franchise? What sort of cool movie can you make with them? What's the flair, the theme you want to push? What captures the imagination?

Everyone keep saying that the first 2 Thor movie's best part were in Asgard, and the final movie is considered the best of the bunch for having practically no Earth scenes. Because Asgard is cool and new, I hope the Eternals go "let's just make a full-on Asgard movie" without it being actually Asgard.

Or hell. What says that Asgard won't have anything to do with it. Just put in a Young Odin cameo

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

After the massive !@#$up that they pulled when they made Thor and the rest of the Asgardians no longer deities and instead made them kind of like the Eternals. I wouldn't mind if they course corrected a bit and moved the Eternals over into that more divine end of things.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Spamalot in the Playground

Here's another brief synopsis of who/what the Eternals are and how they might be used in the MCU (starting at 1:30):

And while the Eternals features quite the star-studded cast (Richard Madden, Kit Harrington, Angelina Jolie, Brian Tyree Henry), Feige has hinted that Gemma Chan will actually be the closest thing we'll get to a POV or main character.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbigXuan View Post
    Hey Guys,

is there any movie about Morbius, isnt it? or am I confusing things. Or has morbius nothing to do with the MCU?? Sorry for that dumb question
    The Morbius trailer includes story details that happened in both Homecoming (Adrian Toombs' incarceration) and Far From Home (Spidey getting framed for Mysterio's death), which are explicitly MCU films.

While that doesn't mean Morbius himself is in the MCU, it does beg the question of why these details matter to his film, and whether the events within it will have any impact in the other direction. (Again, Blade is the most likely connection coming out of this one, but we'll see.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    After the massive !@#$up that they pulled when they made Thor and the rest of the Asgardians no longer deities and instead made them kind of like the Eternals. I wouldn't mind if they course corrected a bit and moved the Eternals over into that more divine end of things.
    Please elaborate, I am trying to understand what is your complaint and what is your complaint responding too

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Please elaborate, I am trying to understand what is your complaint and what is your complaint responding too
    My complaint was mostly just being annoyed that the Asgardians were just aliens in the MCU, which was stupid. I wasn't really responding to anyone specifically, just commenting on the Eternals in general.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

My complaint was mostly just being annoyed that the Asgardians were just aliens in the MCU, which was stupid. I wasn't really responding to anyone specifically, just commenting on the Eternals in general.
    Why?

I mean, what would have been gained if they had been genuine gods? Would Loki also been a god, even if he was part Ice Giant?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

*shrug* by which I mean it does not make a difference to me, but I am still listening for I want to see why it matters to you, I want to listen

In the comics the Asgardians are Aliens, but are also "immortal / long lived" due to their magic apples they eat. By Thor 2 we had Odin and Loki argue over whether they are gods or not since they live for 5k years and the disagreement was settled by "depends on your perspective" but Loki feels he was obligated to conquer earth, to civilize the lesser aged mortals. This ideology is similar to a real world ideology where it is X's burden where X is the colonizer and Y is the colonized. X sees themselves as a hero and savior even if they exploit Y. This sentiment is repeated in Thor 3, even if the writters, screenplay, and directors are entirely different in these two different Thor movies.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Why?

I mean, what would have been gained if they had been genuine gods? Would Loki also been a god, even if he was part Ice Giant?
    Variety and space to make the setting of things feel truly vibrant and expansive, I see the decision to make the Asgardians just advanced aliens to be the start of a direct line that leads to things like Iron Fist being half about corporate drama and managing to make Ninja Death Cults boring or Jessica Jones missing a lot of the bits that made Alias stick so thoroughly into my young brain by trying to make super heroes tell "grounded" stories. Also I still get people arguing that Dr Strange isn't a real sorcerer because magic in the MCU isn't real and not magic, which I also blame on Thor.

For another example, the new Mortal Kombat movie
    Spoiler: MK2021 Spoilers
    Show
    Did the exact same thing in the other direction, taking things like Kano's cybernetic eye or Jax's mechanical limbs and making them explicitly all magical which immedietly sucks the life and vibrancy out of a setting and makes it feel much smaller.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Rater, there's some kind of connection between the Eternals and Thanos too, isn't there?
    The comics? Thanos is a Titan, like from the moon Titan, and so are most of the Eternals as well. In the movies? There is no connection that we know of.

On that note, I'd be shocked if The Etenerals doesn't end with a teaser of He That Hungers, The Devourer of Worlds, Galactus.

18. - Top - End - #78

Why?

Consider that in the comics, Odin is half Aesir and Half Ice-giant and that just adds up to "a stronger Aesir."

And Thor's mother is either Jord, an Eart giant who is an aspect of the Elder Goddess Gaea or Firehair, a Protomutant and Phoenix Host from a million years ago, depending on whether or not you believe Jason Arron's clumsy attempts at a retcon.

If Thor's mother is Firehair, then he's a God despite biologically being half-human and 1/4 giant and only 1/4th Asgardian.

So yes, Loki would be a god. Loki in the comics is 100% Frost Giant and he's still considered a god.

Granted, the differences between the elves, giants, and demons of the Ten Realms and the Asgardians and other tribes of deities in the Marvel Universe seem to be more academic than anything else.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Variety and space to make the setting of things feel truly vibrant and expansive, I see the decision to make the Asgardians just advanced aliens to be the start of a direct line that leads to things like Iron Fist being half about corporate drama and managing to make Ninja Death Cults boring or Jessica Jones missing a lot of the bits that made Alias stick so thoroughly into my young brain by trying to make super heroes tell "grounded" stories. Also I still get people arguing that Dr Strange isn't a real sorcerer because magic in the MCU isn't real and not magic, which I also blame on Thor.

For another example, the new Mortal Kombat movie
    Spoiler: MK2021 Spoilers
    Show
    Did the exact same thing in the other direction, taking things like Kano's cybernetic eye or Jax's mechanical limbs and making them explicitly all magical which immedietly sucks the life and vibrancy out of a setting and makes it feel much smaller.
    ...what is "real magic"?

Dr Strange do magic. What makes is not magic?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Consider that in the comics, Odin is half Aesir and Half Ice-giant and that just adds up to "a stronger Aesir."

And Thor's mother is either Jord, an Eart giant who is an aspect of the Elder Goddess Gaea or Firehair, a Protomutant and Phoenix Host from a million years ago, depending on whether or not you believe Jason Arron's clumsy attempts at a retcon.

If Thor's mother is Firehair, then he's a God despite biologically being half-human and 1/4 giant and only 1/4th Asgardian.

So yes, Loki would be a god. Loki in the comics is 100% Frost Giant and he's still considered a god.

Granted, the differences between the elves, giants, and demons of the Ten Realms and the Asgardians and other tribes of deities in the Marvel Universe seem to be more academic than anything else.
    The more you speak the more I want Angela from the comics in the MCU.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Wait. Ten?

22. - Top - End - #82

Wait. Ten?
    The Tenth Realm is Heven.

It's a long story, but it boils down to "Neil Gaimen got into a legal battle over ownership of Angela, a character he created that was published by Image comics who tried to screw him over. When Gaimen won and received full ownership of Angela he immediately turned around and sold her to Marvel Comics, who did a story making her the long lost daughter of Thor and Frigga and retconned her entire story to have taken place in a hidden part of the Marvel universe, purely to spite the people at Image who tried to screw him."

The War Angels of Heven(not to be confused with the Angels of Heaven who serve The One Above All) are physically only on the same level as humans other than their capacity for winged flight. but are instinctively very good at all forms of combat to the point of being able to fight on the same level as superhuman warriors like the Dark Elves or the Asgardians. They are also biologically immortal.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait. Ten?
    Angela stuff.

You see in the 90s Todd McFarlane created Spawn, using brand new Image Comics as the production line. Image being founded by all this Marvel talent who wanted to leave Marvel and create their own things so they get to own the IP rights and sell them for TV, Movies, Lunchboxes etc since comics were big from 1991 to 1996. Image and Todd then used other writers to write their stories so Neil Gaiman who created Angela the Spawn character in conjunction with Todd McFarlane (McFarlane was artist/writer for the first 7 issues. He brought on writers Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Dave Sim and Frank Miller for issues 8 to 11 (respectively) while McFarlane continued with art chores.)

Then there was a decade long legal battle between Neil Gaiman and Todd MacFarlane who owned the characters that Neil and Todd created in the issues that Neil wrote for Todd was making bank by selling Spawn to tv and movie rights. There was a court case that Neil won, and both parties owned the characters, then 10 years later the final thing occurred when the two parties settled and traded with one party getting 1 character and the other party getting 2 characters.

-----

Well after the settlement (2012) Neil quickly sold the character to Marvel, and marvel has introduced her to the comics starting in 2014.

Angela in this new lore seperate from the spawn universe ...

Angela is the first born kid of Odin, she is half of Asgard and half from the 10th realm that is tied to Angels. After Odin thought that 10th realm killed his first born child he seperated the 10th realm from the other 9 realms with that big Norse world tree Yggdrasil. This is why most people do not know of the Angel realm until the mid 2010s.

Angela is now in 70+ comics since 2014, thus we are talking 10 or so a year. She is our sword lesbian* that we have to respect and stan. Illayana / Magik of the X-Men is now not the only famous character of this style / trope.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-05-04 at 02:26 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

See, this is why we can't have a 1:1 adaptation from the comics. Because the comics are bonkers ****crazy at times, and are an amalgam of hundreds of small crisis, retcon, patchwork and pettiness.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

See, this is why we can't have a 1:1 adaptation from the comics. Because the comics are bonkers ****crazy at times, and are an amalgam of hundreds of small crisis, retcon, patchwork and pettiness.
    Yep and that is why I love them. The comics are so "baroque" such an irregular misshapen pearl that is created from thousands of influences. All this infinite detail that is unnecessary, yet is designed to trigger awe for it is so much and so ornate.

While TV and Movies are streamline and are not baroque in the slightest.

Different things entirely, both are good, just merely different!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep and that is why I love them. The comics are so "baroque" such an irregular misshapen pearl that is created from thousands of influences. All this infinite detail that is unnecessary, yet is designed to trigger awe for it is so much and so ornate.

While TV and Movies are streamline and are not baroque in the slightest.

Different things entirely, both are good, just merely different!
    I'll give you that, I suppose. On the other hand, it makes it almost impossible for anyone to properly follow all comic stories without having to also research the drama happening above.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll give you that, I suppose. On the other hand, it makes it almost impossible for anyone to properly follow all comic stories without having to also research the drama happening above.
    But that is the joy of them. There is so much of them that you just abandon all hope of reading them all and just coast the ocean of vibes. You read a summary to get an idea of a character (thank you wikipedia), or you have a podcast or friend introduce you to a comic or character, and then you just have fun.

How many people watch Perry Mason tv shows / movies without being familiar with the 1930s work? Perry Mason is 88 years old now, older than Batman, you do not need to see the original black and white Warner Brother movies in order to enjoy a thing. Likewise the same for comics whether DC or Movie. Just let yourself be a child again and enjoy a thing without feeling the need to master or understand it.

28. - Top - End - #88

It's really funny to see complaints that the Asgardians aren't gods given they... kinda weren't in the source material either. And their high science is indistinguishable from magic, and they clearly have magical, god-like powers (See, Thor being the God of Thunder and krackling out lightning bolts). So yeah, there's magic.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's really funny to see complaints that the Asgardians aren't gods given they... kinda weren't in the source material either. And their high science is indistinguishable from magic, and they clearly have magical, god-like powers (See, Thor being the God of Thunder and krackling out lightning bolts). So yeah, there's magic.
    That is mutant powers, each Asgardian has their own quirks

Yet what unifies them beyond their quirks is called magic or science in other peoples cultures when they interact with the Asgardians

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Seriously. What is the taxonomy between a god and a super powerful alien like the Celestial, or Thanos, or Dark Phoenix?