New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Is Durkon going to become (or already is) an apostate?

Durkon seemed really disappointed, even angry with Thor in #1232 and in #1233 he badmouths the gods some more.

I'm wondering is this just a temporary spat or is the start of a more serious disillusionment that Durkon has, maybe leading to him renouncing his faith?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Is Durkon going to become (or already is) an apostate?

Well if it happens mechanically, we should see the same visual effects that we saw for Miko when she officially Fell.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Durkon seemed really disappointed, even angry with Thor in #1232 and in #1233 he badmouths the gods some more.

I'm wondering is this just a temporary spat or is the start of a more serious disillusionment that Durkon has, maybe leading to him renouncing his faith?
    Being willing to criticize is not an indication that he stopped following Thor. It's indication that he's being a good follower. He still thinks very highly of Thor, he just doesn't think he's unnerring, which I don't think he ever belived either?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, where does it say followers, even clerics, have to believe their gods are literally perfect? Thor's still a good guy, he just has his own biases, which I'm sure Durkon was already aware of.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Is Durkon going to become (or already is) an apostate?
    No, he's not, and no, he isn't.
    Next question.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

Considering that Thor basically agreed with his criticism, no.
    Last edited by Jason; 2021-05-04 at 09:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

It's more like disappointment with the Gods as a collective, not Thor specifically.
    Wolfen Houndog - The World in Revolt (4e)
    The Mythic Warrior, a 3.5 base class that severs limbs and sunders armor
    The Nameless One, converted to 3.5 and 5e

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Durkon asked a question, Thor answered it honestly.
    Last edited by JonahFalcon; 2021-05-04 at 12:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It would be an interesting plot twist to have Durkon become a Dark One's cleric to solve the whole problem. Would he keep his cleric levels when switching over to a new deity?

10. - Top - End - #10

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bulhakov View Post
    It would be an interesting plot twist to have Durkon become a Dark One's cleric to solve the whole problem. Would he keep his cleric levels when switching over to a new deity?
    The Dark One is a god of goblinoids. I think his emissary needs a specific prerequisite.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

It might be interesting depending on how it was handled but Durkon isn't capable of casting 9th level spells.

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

I don't think the Dark One would accept a dwarf as his high priest. And I especially don't think a dwarf who is "really" a devotee of Thor would be acceptable.

13. - Top - End - #13

That is easily remedied! All the others have to do is to kill and reincarnate Durkon repeatedly until he is a goblinoid.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That is easily remedied! All the others have to do is to kill and reincarnate Durkon repeatedly until he is a goblinoid.
    But then he would be too low-level to cast the right spell.

Jokes aside, I'm surprisingly found of that idea (the conversion, not the reincarnation), bonkers as it sounds. I've long suspected that either Red or the Dark One would ultimately refuse to take part in Thor's plan. If Redcloak is not on-board, one could imagine TDO making a special exception and granting power to Durkon to cast the ritual.

Wait, I just realized that if TDO is onboard, then they don't need a priest.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thumbs down Re: Is Durkon going to become (or already is) an apostate?

Absolutely not, Thor values Durkon a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he was chosen as the next High Priest (some decades after this, but still).

"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."
    "Yeah, a lot of that early stuff doesn't hold up"
    "Yeah, Yeah. You're a very clever boy."
    "…My reasons are my own."

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

There's the answer: Durkon should ascend to dietyhood in the goblin pantheon. Durkon, the Lawful Good god of goblin kids.

Or maybe Belkar could ascend to become the death god of the goblins. He certainly has killed many of them.
    Edit: although when I think about it, Redcloak has a higher tally. Maybe he will be the new goblin god of death.
    Last edited by Jason; 2021-05-04 at 02:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedSorcererGirl

I actually came to the forum to ask if we thought he'd lose access to his Thor magic, he's seemed aggravated in the past couple strips, and at least some of it seems directed at Thor, even if most is at the gods as a whole.

Granted, just because you're upset with someone doesn't mean you hate them now.

And he seemed to mishear Thor at the end of the commune.

"You'll think of something, just get in there and try again. And don't get yourself or minrah imploded."

"'E said I should try ta not get ye imploded."

Which I feel like foreshadows some tension there.

Huh... Clearly Durkon represents the dwarven patriarchy. This explains his tension with Thor, and why he's so upset that Thor wanted him to protect a lesser female. Clearly he's going to abandon the chaotic good Thor for the no doubt lawful evil dark one, who would totally be okay with oppressing women as long as they aren't goblinoids. :P
    Last edited by JennTora; 2021-05-06 at 01:15 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Icewolf View Post
    "You'll think of something, just get in there and try again. And don't get yourself or minrah imploded."

"'E said I should try ta not get ye imploded."

Which I feel like foreshadows some tension there.
    No, he heard him alright. Thor did say to try not to get Minrah imploded. He also said not to get Durkon imploded but that's not relevant to Minrah's question "Did he mention me at all?"
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But then he would be too low-level to cast the right spell.

Jokes aside, I'm surprisingly found of that idea (the conversion, not the reincarnation), bonkers as it sounds. I've long suspected that either Red or the Dark One would ultimately refuse to take part in Thor's plan. If Redcloak is not on-board, one could imagine TDO making a special exception and granting power to Durkon to cast the ritual.

Wait, I just realized that if TDO is onboard, then they don't need a priest.
    The problem is, gods are less reasonable than mortals in this universe due to how they work remember? Loki can't tell the truth unless hes rubbing it in Thor's face, Odin is a fool because of the northerner's beliefs, so if the goblin's culture of hate to humans is any indication, convincing him to let go of his hatred would be literally impossible.

like there is an entire theme in OOTS that the more supernatural you are, the more your perspective tends to be skewed and warped by cosmic forces. and wouldn't it be an interesting parallel for Redcloak to finally commune with his god and have a very different conversation with him rather than Durkon has with Thor? I think the Dark One being such an important figure to all this, that we can't go without them meeting and that might be something that gives Redcloak perspective on his own deity.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #20

RedSorcererGirl

No, he heard him alright. Thor did say to try not to get Minrah imploded. He also said not to get Durkon imploded but that's not relevant to Minrah's question "Did he mention me at all?"
    I don't think so. Thor didn't say to try not to get minrah imploded, he said not to. Plus immediately after Thor told him this, Durkon's speech is broken up, too.

"Mebbe if'n you could- -me some- -off'r ta take back ta-"

There's room to believe he didn't hear him properly anyway.
    Last edited by JennTora; 2021-05-06 at 05:32 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

It does, however, reveal what a monster Thor really is! He just gave Durkon his permission to get any of his party members imploded as long as they are not clerics of Thor! He only cares for his own clergy!

22. - Top - End - #22

...is that like a cross between an apostle and a prostate? :-/
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    An apostate is a person who quits a religion they belonged to.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Next question.
    What is your fondest memory involving ice cream?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Thor values Durkon a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if he was chosen as the next High Priest (some decades after this, but still).
    Don't forget about high priestess Rubyrock. Unless she decides to step down for some reason, or the post is only temporary or something that can be contested, I am not certain, even if Durkon may possess all qualities that would qualify him for the job.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    like there is an entire theme in OOTS that the more supernatural you are, the more your perspective tends to be skewed and warped by cosmic forces. and wouldn't it be an interesting parallel for Redcloak to finally commune with his god and have a very different conversation with him rather than Durkon has with Thor? I think the Dark One being such an important figure to all this, that we can't go without them meeting and that might be something that gives Redcloak perspective on his own deity.
    I'd say rather than skewed and warped, informed, but you are on to something here. Deities do not see things as mortals do (which makes a lot of sense, if you are immortal and you've made and seen destroyed millions of worlds, are stuck with one quiddity, etc). Where ya sit determines what ya see.

I love your take on the Redcloak/TDO meeting: not what I expected would be a cool way for it to go ...
    Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Do I need to restrain my jokes about the fickle finger of fate (which is a gag from Laugh In ... anyone around here old enough to remember that?)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Do I need to restrain my jokes about the fickle finger of fate (which is a gag from Laugh In ... anyone around here old enough to remember that?)
    I've seen reruns. I don't remember that specific joke though.

27. - Top - End - #27

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    There's the answer: Durkon should ascend to dietyhood in the goblin pantheon. Durkon, the Lawful Good god of goblin kids.

Or maybe Belkar could ascend to become the death god of the goblins. He certainly has killed many of them.
    Edit: although when I think about it, Redcloak has a higher tally. Maybe he will be the new goblin god of death.
    Personally, I've always liked the idea of Redcloak ascending as a new goblin god. I mean, the Dark One ascended as a mortal unifier of goblinkind against a hostile world, who was named by a defining visual characteristic after his true name was lost to the ages. Sound familiar?

And it'd make a nice juxtaposition if Redcloak somehow ends up as a good god: an evil mortal ascending as a good god in the goblin pantheon, opposed to the Dark One who seems to have been a reasonably good mortal if what we know about him is true, but arose as an evil god after years of slaughter.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-05-06 at 06:37 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Personally, I've always liked the idea of Redcloak ascending as a new goblin god. I mean, the Dark One ascended as a mortal unifier of goblinkind against a hostile world, who was named by a defining visual characteristic after his true name was lost to the ages. Sound familiar?

And it'd make a nice juxtaposition if Redcloak somehow ends up as a good god: an evil mortal ascending as a good god in the goblin pantheon, opposed to the Dark One who seems to have been a reasonably good mortal if what we know about him is true, but arose as an evil god after years of slaughter.
    The idea that Redcloak would ascend to godhood has always struck me as spitting in the face of the message with him. Fundamentally, he's doing all of this so he can say "it was worth it, and I didn't kill my little brother for nothing", the story isn't going to validate him by going "and then he became a literal god".

That's before getting into how it really doesn't seem like the conditions are right for him to rise to godhood to begin with. Or at least, not in the time frame that this story would require it.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2021-05-06 at 07:21 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

If Durkon can someone reconcile with Thor after understanding the details of the bet with Hela, this is really small potatoes.

Yes, he was disappointed with the answer he got. But it seems to be an honest answer, and the main problem is the gods as a whole and Fenris in particular, not Thor doing something specific wrong.

30. - Top - End - #30

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Heh. Ironic.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.