New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Going back to his roots, then?
    This got me thinking of old characters like Jimbo. I wonder if he also jumped on the streaming bandwagon and what kind of channel he would create.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Questionable Content XVII: "My Brain Is Trash And I Live On The Internet"

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    This got me thinking of old characters like Jimbo. I wonder if he also jumped on the streaming bandwagon and what kind of channel he would create.
    He has a following of 450k people who tune in to listen to him read his romance/sci fi novels. He is basically larry the cable guy of his genre.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #813
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wonder if Barry fulfilled his dream and he's also streaming these days as Dolphin Jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #814
    Troll in the Playground

If you don't delve into the dark recesses of the Internet, or participate in rowdy discussion forums, you might not know what a furry is.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    If you don't delve into the dark recesses of the Internet, or participate in rowdy discussion forums, you might not know what a furry is.
    I'd expect that the term furry would crop up with some regularity in the chat of a furry vtuber's channel though. It would certainly show up in secondary articles in which MommyMilkers is mentioned. Aurelia is sufficiently famous that she's a 'Top 100 Furry vtuber' there are listicles for this sort of thing. It's yet another example of this whole vtuber plotline happening as if the various feedback loops of online fame don't exist. Starting to wonder if that represents wish fulfillment on Jeph's part, which isn't really surprising, actually.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #816
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah yeah, boomer makes furry jokes. But take a look at that DESKTOP of hers. It's a friggin' mess and I now despise her for it.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

With that catlike smile of Aurelia, I actually think she knows what a furry is, but is trollingly probing Claire if she knows, or is just riding the coat-tails of yesteryear's "subgroup to hate".

8. - Top - End - #818

Griffon

I can believe that Aurelia doesn't know what a furry is. Being slightly naïve and a little bit of a ditz is well within her character, but frankly she's also a well-adjusted person with other interests who doesn't live on the internet. She streams, she plays games, she admires her fan art, then she logs off and goes to do something else - that's absolutely plausible.

She's got two kids and probably had a refrigerator covered in crayon pictures of Power Rangers and Barbie for a few years, people giving her cute pictures of their favourite 'cartoon character' is hardly a new experience. Similarly, MommyMilkers has 4 enormous boobs so why wouldn't a few of the naughtier kids send her naughty pictures as well? It's all part of the fun!
    I can very much believe that she doesn't realise that "fan art of my cow-person avatar" is a thing that goes way further than she knows because... Well, because she's normal.

The fact that Claire knows what a furry is, but not a vtuber, says a lot more about her than it does Aurelia.

I'm very much enjoying Marten's reaction to this, though. His 23 year old girlfriend finding out about a couple of thousand people watching Aurelia be a cartoon character is amateur hour compared to growing up with Veronica, and him being more interested in the spin-around chair speaks volumes at just how well-adjusted he is to this kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Yeah yeah, boomer makes furry jokes. But take a look at that DESKTOP of hers. It's a friggin' mess and I now despise her for it.
    She even keeps her tower to the left of her screen, clearly she's a psychopath
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-09 at 04:28 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

9. - Top - End - #819

Im sorry but I cant buy her not knowing what a furry is. Its a term she has to have stumbled over during this whole thing and would require an absurd level of willful blindness to not know the definition of. Furry isnt some dark web super duper secret club that is hidden from the normies, its a well known thing. Perhaps if she had nothing to do with the community I could buy that she is one of the 10,000 to learn some "common knowledge" today but when you are literally acting like one online with a vast network of followers, it stretches credulity to the breaking point. I just hope this isnt being used as some sort of excuse to end an arc that seems to have upset some people because the umbers dont add up or whatever. Like she freaks out over learning that she is basically wank material for fetishists and drops the whole thing.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I think it works exactly as it is meant. Aurelia's role in the strip (other than 'mother to Claire and Clinton) is 'clueless adult with grown children trying to find her bliss in her empty-nestedness and sometimes being a foil to her kids when she ends up being cooler than they are.' She's part of the naïve/foolish sitcom roster (Woody Boyd, Rose Nylund, Joey Tribbiani, Kelso, Lucy), and I can see any of them doing the same thing.

In the real world, it'd be odd that she'd never at least heard the word furry (although maybe she just didn't internalize it). However, I can imagine her not getting that it was 'a thing.' Some fan sends her a picture of themselves as sexy wombats or something, and she thinks it's them getting in on the fun (inspired by her, not them thinking she's inspired by the furry community*); Some article references her avatar as being 'a furry figure' or something and she thinks it's just a randomly-chosed adjective (and they might have just as easily said 'a bovine character').
    *Exactly how she landed on being an anthropomorphic cow in the first place is a story to which we haven't fully been informed.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, if it was any other character except maybe Emily, you might have a point. But Aurelia's whole comedic role in the cast is to be exactly what Willie described, so it fits perfectly here.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In this case, i think it works because Aurelia is doing this strictly for her own personal entertainment and to deal with an empty nest rather than as an actual financially-needed job, and thus she can afford to basically just not look into all the subcultures and such that she's affecting beyond her own personal interests in them (which is to say, very little). She COULD be doing a lot more with it, but this is her hobby, not her job, so why would she make it more work than it is?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #823
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Jeph Jacques: writes a strip in which the punchline essentially boils down to "Omg, how can you not know what furries are"

People on this forum, unironically: Omg, how can she not know what furries are

14. - Top - End - #824

Griffon

4 of the last 5 posts are variations of, "Yeah, I can see how that would happen, it's appropriate for the character". I believe that you may have mistaken us for Reddit, they are the ones who are congenitally opposed to the concept of 'fun'.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    4 of the last 5 posts are variations of, "Yeah, I can see how that would happen, it's appropriate for the character". I believe that you may have mistaken us for Reddit, they are the ones who are congenitally opposed to the concept of 'fun'.
    Fair point, I hereby confess to the Internet Sin of skimming rather than carefully reading the preceding posts! As penance, I shall... actually I don't know what Internet Penance would look like and am utterly terrified to find out.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Troll in the Playground

I want to say 'called it' with regard to today's comic, in which it is admitted that 'furry' has been mentioned in Aurelia's chat, but that she's apparently avoided seeking out clarification as part of a personal defense mechanism. That's somewhat more plausible, since it means the answer to the question 'how can you not know what a furries are?' is 'I have deliberately avoided finding out.'
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

17. - Top - End - #827

Tubgirl? Now, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time... Aurelia made the right choice, I think.
    Last edited by Delicious Taffy; 2021-11-10 at 01:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

Bit of a dated reference, that.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Bit of a dated reference, that.
    The internet has a long memory. Like, almost two weeks long!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Not googling internet slang is the same sort of defense strategy as not reading from the Necronomicon; effective in theory, but I'm too curious for my own good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

21. - Top - End - #831

Ok that was a resolution that made EXCELLENT sense.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ok that was a resolution that made EXCELLENT sense.
    I'll admit to an eye roll at the "resolution".
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

23. - Top - End - #833

Uh oh, things could get bad for momma milkers private life.

24. - Top - End - #834

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Uh oh, things could get bad for momma milkers private life.
    I would have said, "What are the odds that someone who knows Marten and Claire better than Marigold would have heard 30 seconds of unannounced broadcast and then piece together all of the pieces without prompt", but then I remembered A) this is the internet, people were able to find the location of Shia Lebeouf's "He Will Not Divine Us" flag by triangulating the angle of the sun coming through the nearby window and shining on a blank white wall, and that B) OF COURSE Pintsize, Dora and probably Veronica were all watching just at this precise moment because this is QC and the world is approximately 25 feet wide.

Oh god, what have I said? I HOPE that Veronica wasn't watching - it would make perfect sense for her to be researching new fetish trends and be on the verge of commissioning her own vtuber avatar and stretching out this interminable arc even longer dear god what have I done i am become death destroyer of worlnjckjsabceskjd

That being said, I have hopes for Friday's strip going something like this:

Panel 1:
    Aurelia: "Thanks for dropping by Marten, I hope the whole 'vtuber' thing didn't make you feel too weirded out."
    Marten: "Nah, I'm used to it. This isn't a patch on the stuff you grow up with when your mom is Veronica Vance."

Panel 2:
    Aurelia: *Silence, thousand-yard stare*

Panel 3:
    Aurelia: *Silence, thousand-yard stare, face turning bright pink*

Panel 4:
    Aurelia: *Silence, thousand-yard stare, face turning iridescent scarlet*
    Claire: "Umm, mom....?"
    Marten: "Don't worry, she's in stage 3 exactly on cue. Another 10 seconds and we'll be good for stage 4."
    Claire: "Stage 4? What happens in stage 4?"
    Marten: "That depends. Can you find an oxygen bottle and a shot of adrenaline in the next 7 seconds, or not?"

Last edited by Wraith; 2021-11-11 at 08:46 AM.

25. - Top - End - #835

MindFlayer

I guess there is a question whether vtubers use voice distortion, either in real life or in QC-land. But Marigold picked up something, whether it was actual voices or just speech patterns.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    I guess there is a question whether vtubers use voice distortion, either in real life or in QC-land. But Marigold picked up something, whether it was actual voices or just speech patterns.
    If she does use it, voice distortion might be a separate program they would need to turn on, independent of the stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

27. - Top - End - #837

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Oh god, what have I said? I HOPE that Veronica wasn't watching - it would make perfect sense for her to be researching new fetish trends and be on the verge of commissioning her own vtuber avatar and stretching out this interminable arc even longer
    In this context of feticism and despair, when you mentioned Veronica Vance "stretching out", I expected something much worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #838
    Troll in the Playground

It's a family affair.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aurellia is kinda forgetting to mention that she totally bullied Clinton into it and gave him very little choice in the matter.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

I'm a bit doubtful that just clicking on the screen would start the stream, unless it was all set up and just paused or something.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.