New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

*I cannot steal DNA from the fifty most fit men and women, 100 total, on each inhabited continent with "physical health and fitness," "general psychological stability," and "intellect" all controlled for the environment and socioeconomic status being the criteria for fitness to avoid biassing the collection results, and then use an advanced genetic algorithm to create the top 50 male and top 50 female specifies from all possible combinations of their genes (for both human DNA and the DNA of the mitochondria,) creating embryos based on those 100 genomes, splicing in Spider-Man's mutations and Wolverine's x-Gene complex, and exposing all 100 embryos to supersoldier serum prenatally before placing them in cryostasis in a pocket reality.
    **Nor can I archive the entirety of human history, knowledge, and culture and culture in a massive quantum supercomputer and develop the means to implant this knowledge in the mind of a tank-bred human growing in a synthetic womb.
    ***Even if my goal is to ward off the possibility of human extinction by creating a breeding population of virtually immortal humans that cans survive in thrive in a wide variety of hostile environments so that, if the worst comes to pass, the embryos can insure that something at least descended of humanity survives.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

* May not, when the DM ad-libs a "Sherman's Pizzaria", instantly 100% derail the plot by getting the party to set up "Panzer's Pizzaria" across the street and re-purpose the rigger's drones for pizza delivery & armed hijacking.

** May not complain that pizza "price wars" are perfectly normal when Lone Star notices the uptick in delivery drone tank combat.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

* A Snow Crash based game should involve more than high-stakes pizza delivery
    * Likewise a Dr McNinja based game

4. - Top - End - #334
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *I cannot steal DNA from the fifty most fit men and women, 100 total, on each inhabited continent with "physical health and fitness," "general psychological stability," and "intellect" all controlled for the environment and socioeconomic status being the criteria for fitness to avoid biassing the collection results, and then use an advanced genetic algorithm to create the top 50 male and top 50 female specifies from all possible combinations of their genes (for both human DNA and the DNA of the mitochondria,) creating embryos based on those 100 genomes, splicing in Spider-Man's mutations and Wolverine's x-Gene complex, and exposing all 100 embryos to supersoldier serum prenatally before placing them in cryostasis in a pocket reality.
    **Nor can I archive the entirety of human history, knowledge, and culture and culture in a massive quantum supercomputer and develop the means to implant this knowledge in the mind of a tank-bred human growing in a synthetic womb.
    ***Even if my goal is to ward off the possibility of human extinction by creating a breeding population of virtually immortal humans that cans survive in thrive in a wide variety of hostile environments so that, if the worst comes to pass, the embryos can insure that something at least descended of humanity survives.
    I love this and want to make a story out of it.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*Despite substantial evidence to the contrary, being repeatedly woken up at God-knows-when in the morning by a pack of housecats apparently attempting to recreate the Dave Grohl vs Animal the Muppet drum battle does not cause SAN loss.

*Not allowed to just go to the psychiatrist in Call of Cthulhu.
    **It’s the 20s, I’ll just get prescribed alcohol and narcotics instead of something that actually helps.
    ***Assuming the psychiatrist doesn’t also go mad when confronted with inarguable proof of the existential horrors we’ve seen or pages from the Necronomicon.
    ****Also assuming the psychiatrist isn’t a cultist.

*My character will get arrested for arson if I try just lobbing a molotov at the creepy abandoned house again.
    **”Professional Arsonist” is not a valid character build.
    ***”The Greater Good” does not excuse setting half of Arkham on fire as the first option.
    ****Even if it would demonstrably save the whole world thrice over.

*Not allowed to run an alternate-universe Aliens campaign in which Weyland-Yutani’s official, written corporate policy on bioweapons is as follows:
    1) DO NOT. WE MEAN IT, JUST DON’T.
    2) If a single failure of lab security, whether by human error, mechanical failure, design flaw, or other reason for breach, would mean that everyone dies screaming, don’t mess with it.
    3) The galaxy is littered with the corpses of people who have ignored the first two rules, including the company founder and a previous board of directors.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    *My character will get arrested for arson if I try just lobbing a molotov at the creepy abandoned house again.
    ***”The Greater Good” does not excuse setting half of Arkham on fire as the first option.
    In the novels that kind of thing actually how a lot of the characters that end up in the nuthouse end up in the nuthouse, not because they're actually nuts
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #337

*Despite substantial evidence to the contrary, being repeatedly woken up at God-knows-when in the morning by a pack of housecats apparently attempting to recreate the Dave Grohl vs Animal the Muppet drum battle does not cause SAN loss.

*Not allowed to just go to the psychiatrist in Call of Cthulhu.
    **It’s the 20s, I’ll just get prescribed alcohol and narcotics instead of something that actually helps.
    ***Assuming the psychiatrist doesn’t also go mad when confronted with inarguable proof of the existential horrors we’ve seen or pages from the Necronomicon.
    ****Also assuming the psychiatrist isn’t a cultist.

*Not allowed to run an alternate-universe Aliens campaign in which Weyland-Yutani’s official, written corporate policy on bioweapons is as follows:
    1) DO NOT. WE MEAN IT, JUST DON’T.
    2) If a single failure of lab security, whether by human error, mechanical failure, design flaw, or other reason for breach, would mean that everyone dies screaming, don’t mess with it.
    3) The galaxy is littered with the corpses of people who have ignored the first two rules, including the company founder and a previous board of directors.
    *Trying to rip the veil from the eyes of the ignorant by summoning shogoths will make things worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

8. - Top - End - #338

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    *Trying to rip the veil from the eyes of the ignorant by summoning shogoths will make things worse.
    * If you are ever in a situation where summoning shoggoths will improve matters even slightly, ignorance is the least of your problems.
    ** If you are in a situation where ignorance is the least of your problems, you're probably somewhere well South of 'screwed'.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    *I may not name my character Genocide.
    **That character should not live up to said name.
    ***... Especially not repeatedly.
    And the final count is four.
    You too, huh?
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

* While your rogue can have a higher athletics score than both the stone golem and the party member who just quaffed a potion of Giant's Strength, pointing it out's only funny once.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    * If you are ever in a situation where summoning shoggoths will improve matters even slightly, ignorance is the least of your problems.
    ** If you are in a situation where ignorance is the least of your problems, you're probably somewhere well South of 'screwed'.
    Imagine the following case: a gigantic coalition of cults in daylight is close to ending the universe by awakening space time and none of the governments believes in the occult nor that those cultists are a threat.
    Summon a shoggoth as a demonstration of the existence of the occult and it fixes the ignorance of the governments and they will probably help solve the problem with a lot of nukes and everyone is happy in a nuclear winter with radioactive sandstorms or something instead of not existing.
    *** May not consider massive use of nukes to be a solution to all cultist related problems that are not already awakened and present elder ancients.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-07-06 at 05:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #342

I have a social contract with my Players. They don't mention Psychiatrists in Call of Cthulhu, and I don't mention Laudanum and Lobotomy.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I have a social contract with my Players. They don't mention Psychiatrists in Call of Cthulhu, and I don't mention Laudanum and Lobotomy.
    I mean, laudanum is basically just opium dissolved in alcohol.

It might actually, administered properly, help you stay sane in the face of eldritch horror in that you're too drunk and high for the horror to set in.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-07-06 at 06:31 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I mean, laudanum is basically just opium dissolved in alcohol.

It might actually, administered properly, help you stay sane in the face of eldritch horror in that you're too drunk and high for the horror to set in.
    *May not utter the phrase "Hold my laudanum and watch this"
    **May not start a laudanum microbrewery in my basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

15. - Top - End - #345

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    *May not utter the phrase "Hold my laudanum and watch this"
    **May not start a laudanum microbrewery in my basement.
    Note to self, remember the first phrase if/when I ever play a Deadlands game.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

* God alignments are not "Uselessly Weak Good", "Powerful Jerk", "Omnipotent Lazy", "Unseen Useful" or "BBEG"
    ** If I'm the Chosen One, may not lazily sit around to wait until the universe explains/forces me to do exactly what it needs to me to do on the assumption that if I'm truly fated to succeed, it doesn't matter what I do anyways, rather than following vague clues that lead me on an adventure.
    *** May not try to experiment with my chosen one status or question what happens if I go off the rails
    **** Whenever a god says they can't interfere, may not make jokes about the Prime Directive.

Edit: * at the end of any adventure involving defeating the Joker, may not in the epilogue have the Joker rise from the dead then turn directly to the audience in an unnatural manner saying "Thank you, thank you! You have been a great audience. Were you not entertained? I sure was! I hope to see you again next show! Thank you and good night!"
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-07-10 at 04:25 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #347

Someone's probably already said something like this, but

* No, casting Heat Metal will not stop the sword from bypassing my DR/Cold Iron.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    Someone's probably already said something like this, but

* No, casting Heat Metal will not stop the sword from bypassing my DR/Cold Iron.
    ** Should not argue that cold iron should get to use magic resistance against the heat metal spell.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

* There is no Adept School that charges up via anime marathons.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, what the hell is cold iron?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Honestly, what the hell is cold iron?
    Iron that is just pounded into shape without being heated at a forge. you can kinda see why it wouldn't be the most common thing to fight fair folk with from that alone.

* My College of Whispers Bard may not be a jester
    ** Even though mocking authority from the acceptable position of being a fool is their entire job.
    *** "good-aligned heroic Joker" will never be a viable character concept.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-07-10 at 07:15 AM.

22. - Top - End - #352

23. - Top - End - #353

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ** Nor is there a tradition that allows for a Mentor Spirit based on the Looney Tunes.
    *** Especially not for Possession Mages.
    **** Just because Space Jam exists doesn't mean you can be possessed by Michael Jordan.
    ***** Or now that Teen Titans Go Watches Space Jam exists, you can't get possessed by any DC superhero.
    ****** Though if you do somehow get to channel Superman, expect to not want to go on a shadowrun any more.
    Last edited by Telwar; 2021-07-10 at 05:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    ** Nor is there a tradition that allows for a Mentor Spirit based on the Looney Tunes.
    *** Especially not for Possession Mages.
    **** Just because Space Jam exists doesn't mean you can be possessed by Michael Jordan.
    ***** Or now that Teen Titans Go Watches Space Jam exists, you can't get possessed by any DC superhero.
    ****** Though if you do for ant to channel Superman, expect to not want to go on a Shadowrun Amy more.
    ???

What does any of that have to do with Unknown Armies?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

25. - Top - End - #355

RedWizardGuy

???

What does any of that have to do with Unknown Armies?
    Almost nothing, except the word "Adept," and the anime specifically reminded me of a player.
    Last edited by Telwar; 2021-07-10 at 05:17 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356

** My character cannot be based on Greg from El Goonish Shive
    *** Nor can I just play him
    **** There is not EGS RPG
    ***** Nor should I homebrew one
    Last edited by dspeyer; 2021-07-11 at 02:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    ** My character cannot be based on Greg from El Goonish Shive
    *** Nor can I just play him
    **** There is not EGS RPG
    ***** Nor should I homebrew one
    ****** You should not just use mutants and masterminds to simulate EGS either?
    Last edited by noob; 2021-07-11 at 03:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    ****** You should not just use mutants and masterminds to simulate EGS either?
    ******* May not point out that EGS would probably be best represented as a Fate Accelerated variant with approaches like "Drama, Comedy, Transformation, Awkwardness, Exposition, and Shipping"
    ******** Or as a Chuubo's game, especially when despite owning Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-granting Engine, barely know how the system works myself

29. - Top - End - #359

Excuse me, Videomancy?!
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Excuse me, Videomancy?!
    That's still a thing?

Also, while Videomancers can charge up from reruns, it doesn't fit the image I had if a mage surrounded by open DVD cases trying to get charges.

Show