New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

* The warlock may no longer declare "mimic check" and abuse eldrich blast's inability to target objects every time we see statues, armor, chests, odd furniture, corpses, unusual lights, or random atmospheric effects.

** The warlock may not use eldrich blast's new found ability to target objects to repelling blast doors, stone columns, book shelves, statues, windows, etc. Even though they are smaller than, and weigh less than, the 20-headed giant hydra that got blasted off a cliff yesterday.

*** The warlock may not self target with resilient sphere and repelling blast to play "purple worm pinball" from inside said purple worm.

**** Not allowed to play warlocks any more.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    * The warlock may no longer declare "mimic check" and abuse eldrich blast's inability to target objects every time we see statues, armor, chests, odd furniture, corpses, unusual lights, or random atmospheric effects.

** The warlock may not use eldrich blast's new found ability to target objects to repelling blast doors, stone columns, book shelves, statues, windows, etc. Even though they are smaller than, and weigh less than, the 20-headed giant hydra that got blasted off a cliff yesterday.

*** The warlock may not self target with resilient sphere and repelling blast to play "purple worm pinball" from inside said purple worm.

**** Not allowed to play warlocks any more.
    You know it’s weird that spells are like that in 5e. 3.5e Eldritch Blast at least did half damage.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

* May no longer say that banishment takes you to a small padded cell where, playing over the crackly loudspeakers, are two songs on infinite repeat while you are forced to listen until the spell ends:
    ** The Barney theme song (I love you, you love me...)
    ** and Baby Shark.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

* While the DM expected you to join in some of the games of chance NPCs are partaking in, he did NOT expect you to do so in the middle of combat.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    * May no longer say that banishment takes you to a small padded cell where, playing over the crackly loudspeakers, are two songs on infinite repeat while you are forced to listen until the spell ends:
    ** and Baby Shark.
    *** Cthulthu shark doo-doooo-do-do-do-da-doo
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

*My familiar's combat Help actions may not make use of its intestines.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    *My familiar's combat Help actions may not make use of its intestines.
    ** Pre-banning the flying half-demon sea cucumber.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

** and Baby Shark.
    ***May not correct nerds Argue with strangers on the internet that the "I love you song" from Barney (sung to the tune of "This Old Man"), is not the Theme song ( "Barney is a Dinosaur", whose tune is based on "Yankee Doodle")
    ****Even if it is the more annoying and catchy of the two.
    *****I don't need to quote Wikipedia to know I'm right.
    ******But it can help. Occasionally.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    You know it’s weird that spells are like that in 5e. 3.5e Eldritch Blast at least did half damage.
    So all 5e spell damage acts like 3.5 magic missile, and never damages inanimate objects? If so, that is weird. Damaging inanimate objects is something D&D magic should be capable of. Any edition. (Not that all spells should be able to do so, nor even all damaging spells. I have no problem with magic missile and M's sword being creatures-only.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Mandark View Post
    ***May not correct nerds Argue with strangers on the internet that the "I love you song" from Barney (sung to the tune of "This Old Man"), is not the Theme song ( "Barney is a Dinosaur", whose tune is based on "Yankee Doodle")
    ****Even if it is the more annoying and catchy of the two.
    *****I don't need to quote Wikipedia to know I'm right.
    ******But it can help. Occasionally.
    Yeah. In game I just said it was the "I love you" song. But got lazy here.

Quote Originally Posted by ideasmith View Post
    So all 5e spell damage acts like 3.5 magic missile, and never damages inanimate objects? If so, that is weird. Damaging inanimate objects is something D&D magic should be capable of. Any edition. (Not that all spells should be able to do so, nor even all damaging spells. I have no problem with magic missile and M's sword being creatures-only.)
    Spell damage damages objects if and only if it says it does. So firebolt can damage objects just fine (targets an object or creature). EB (in the fluff) attacks the soul, so it does nothing against objects. Other spells are mixed.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

5e is weird.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #492

PaladinGuy

I am never, ever, ever, EVER allowed to play a Kender.
    Although we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodimal View Post
    ** neither is anyone else. In fact, kender don't exist and never have. They were just an extended April Fool's joke.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodimal View Post
    ** I am not allowed to argue for the existence of Kender Paladins
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ** I am not allowed to argue for the existence of Kender Paladins
    * I, however, encourage the existence of Kender Wild Mages
    ** Canonically, Kender may become Bards and Priests in 2E (Tales of the Lance boxed set); I would allow it.
    *** Therefore, Spelljammer ships run by spellcasting Kender are possible; I would encourage it.
    **** WHEE!

* Kender may become Sha'irs, the genie-summoning Wizards from 2E Al-Qadim. They can cast Wish at 1st level.
    ** WHEE!

(Joking aside, Hakim Star'trekher, my kender sha'ir was So. Much. Fun. to play in Assassins' Mountain.)
    I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
    -The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
    https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.c...tionchallenge/

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

I have no problem wi pc kender... If they provide me with an actual backstory that shows they understand they aren't playing an ******* klepto halfling knock-off, but a species that's insane by most human standards from a lack of fear and the inability to understand non-personal object ownership.

That said, just to have something on topic:
    * Even though its been 30+ years, different groups, and they have zero expectation to ever even see the books much less play a game of it... I am still not allowed to play a rogue scientist in Rifts with access to smart missiles.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

I have no problem wi pc kender... If they provide me with an actual backstory that shows they understand they aren't playing an ******* klepto halfling knock-off, but a species that's insane by most human standards from a lack of fear and the inability to understand non-personal object ownership.
    Well there goes my Chaotic Neutral Kender who 'borrowed' some powers from a passing knight.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Well there goes my Chaotic Neutral Kender who 'borrowed' some powers from a passing knight.
    Weel, do you mean "years of training in using a sword" type game mechanic "powers" or more "oh the chaos knight isn't using this tentacle right now and I'm having trouble reaching the top of the table, so..." type powers? Because a sufficiently entertaining backstory can include a multitude of sins.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

* May not call out to enemy minions while intentionally stating a fact wrong then kill the minion who tries to correct me when they say "well, actually..." or "well technically..." on the logic that I've tricked the smartest one into revealing themselves so that they die first.
    ** When no minions correct me, may not declare "ok they're all dumb, no threat here."
    *** May not then claim that any actual intelligent person then underestimates me because I got a fact "wrong" and therefore dismisses me as a threat because I'm not smart to them.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Weel, do you mean "years of training in using a sword" type game mechanic "powers" or more "oh the chaos knight isn't using this tentacle right now and I'm having trouble reaching the top of the table, so..." type powers? Because a sufficiently entertaining backstory can include a multitude of sins.
    More along the latter lines, haven't developed a backstory because the character kind of requires a GM who knows what Kender are. I've just never had one.

Show

21. - Top - End - #501
    Firbolg in the Playground

More along the latter lines, haven't developed a backstory because the character kind of requires a GM who knows what Kender are. I've just never had one.
    I believe you mean "knows what Kender are and doesn't ban them preemptively". Lots of people know enough about Kender to want to ban them without knowing enough to know that their memetic representation is not the only way to play them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Does Prestidigitation have a maximum Scoville rating? Does the answer depend on whether it's cast with Subtle metamagic?
    Last edited by Corey; 2021-09-14 at 08:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

** and Baby Shark.
    *My no longer send emails to the people in Geneva about a DM doing that ... (Was player in that game and we all cringed)
    *** May no longer make fun of the purple worm that also got banished to a similar padded room in that same fight (since he's dead)
    *** May no longer (since I already did) point out that a purple dinosaur nonsense love song being sung to a purple worm in that padded cell was almost perfect purple irony
    **** May never again perform a song called Purple Worm that is a direct ripoff of Purple Rain by Prince.
    Spoiler: No kidding, I did this
    Show
    (I wrote the parody lyrics (no, I don't have weird Al Jankovic's talent for parody, but I do my best) and my bard performed it on stage to thunderous applause (didn't hurt that the paladin held up a purple worm tooth as the first chorus was being sung ...

** neither is anyone else. In fact, kender don't exist and never have. They were just an extended April Fool's joke.
    True.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-09-15 at 10:56 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

* Ratlings are not secretly Kender, and I have to give my party members their stuff back.

Show

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

* Ratlings are not secretly Kender, and I have to give my party members their stuff back.
    ** Tibbets are not supposed to be secretly kender in fur onesies, and I am probably going to be banned from playing them if I wear my "team grumpy cat" t-shirt when I show my character sheet.

26. - Top - End - #506

Goblin

* Not allowed to roll "unintended consequences" for the Wish spell.
    ** even if it's because I needed a plot hook

* No more raccoons on random encounter tables

* Sticking to the scientific fact that spiderwebs are flammable must take a backseat when the artificer starts casting Firebolt like it's going out of style
    ** especially when the party walks into the middle of a giant spider den
    *** especially not in a forest previously described as "overgrown... the brush and debris is almost impossible to walk through"
    Last edited by TrashTrash; 2021-09-15 at 02:55 PM.
    Quotes from my adventuring party:
    "They're not really innards anymore. They're out-ards."
    "Your lower back burns from the death glare of a dwarf."
    "What's Thor gonna do, zap me?"
    "Is it drugs?"
    "I set my weapons on the ground." "Do you set your brain down, too?"

27. - Top - End - #507
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

** Tibbets are not supposed to be secretly kender in fur onesies, and I am probably going to be banned from playing them if I wear my "team grumpy cat" t-shirt when I show my character sheet.
    *** I cannot argue that every Small race is actually kenders in disguise

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

**** Cannot point out that this all began because Warhammer 40,000 Ratlings are space halflings with additional kleptomania and hedonism, playing one as a stereotypical Kender is in character (although without the 'are good and innocent' bit).

* I cannot execute other party members for Heresy.
    ** No, not even if I was a Commissar.
    *** Being able to do so to the Space Marine is suspect.

Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

** Tieflings are not "the new kender"
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

30. - Top - End - #510
    Colossus in the Playground

I cannot do a Zelda-based Roleplay that consists of Zora, Twili, and Gorons trying to figure out why humans wear clothes.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks