New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    *** May not reply with "No its Sprigatito you-" followed by a hour of sailor level cursing and insults for no reason
    **** May not extend an olive branch to Fuecoco lovers by saying at least neither of us like the duck, that one just looks silly
    ***** May not follow this up with two hours of denying that anyone could actually like the duck
    Normally I ignore anything about the pokie-mans, but memory tells me that there were at least 2 duck things in the first generation. Referring nebulously to "the duck" has too many possible antecedents for clarity.

* Ridiculously overwrought names do not make you less villainous.
    ** If I cannot say my entire name without taking a breath I need to provide a shorter version for everyday use.
    ***Names that summon elder evils are right out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing 13: This Is A Banned List Not A Drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    ** If I cannot say my entire name without taking a breath I need to provide a shorter version for everyday use.
    *** am not allowed to name a villain "Llanfairpwll'gwyngyllgogerychwyrndrob'wllllantysi liogogogoch"[1]. Especially if I can't even begin to pronounce it myself.

[1] fantasy apostrophes added for effect.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2022-03-01 at 12:09 AM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Normally I ignore anything about the pokie-mans, but memory tells me that there were at least 2 duck things in the first generation. Referring nebulously to "the duck" has too many possible antecedents for clarity.
    I couldn't remember Quaxley's name and didn't bother to look it up so to reiterate:

***** May not follow this up with two hours of denying that anyone could actually like Quaxley
    ****** May not forget the name of Quaxley and thus confuse someone who is so non-pokemon fan they use the memey "pokie-mans" pronunciation
    ******* even if its a new pokemon that isn't even out yet, and isn't one I particularly like.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #844
    Colossus in the Playground

Spider-Powers are not for cheating in dance competitions.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spider-Powers are not for cheating in dance competitions.
    Of course not, they're for cheating at wrestling!

*looks up new starters*

It's a duck in a hat! WANT.

Vaguely on-topic-

* My Aarakocra Monk cannot try to look cute and harmless (feathery, mostly brilliant red, barely five feet and built like a skinny 10-year-old human with wings?) immediately after beating an enormous golem to death with his bare hands.
    ** Not allowed to accuse the DM of railroading and then do something (with no objections on his part and no attempts to stop us) that he has no plans for, never anticipated us doing, and is still kind of baffled by (he was anticipating us either exploring a tower dungeon further in one of two directions, using the teleporter that was all-but-labelled 'plot this way', or ducking out into an enemy-held town to find more info, not just sort of ****ing off into the desert...)
    Times being what they are, the stars aligning and the End of All Things barely registered as background noise.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do next, and with bills to pay, a certain Elder Thing has taken up bartending.

This is...

The Last Call of Cthulhu

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    *** am not allowed to name a villain "Llanfairpwll'gwyngyllgogerychwyrndrob'wllllantysi liogogogoch"[1]. Especially if I can't even begin to pronounce it myself.

[1] fantasy apostrophes added for effect.
    Isn't that a town in Wales? Played with a fellow playgrounder a few weeks back who linked me to a recording of someone saying it. This makes me wonder: are (Tolkien) Ents Welsh, an should I role play treants that way?

* As DM, I may no longer stack glyphs of warding. (I stacked blindness (DC 16) and major image - the image was of an adult amethyst dragon).

** May not respond to a player asking "Why would you stack blindness on top of an illusion?" by saying "Alien minds don't think as you do; you might consider them mad if you could read their minds, or you might simply go mad yourself"
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-03-01 at 08:21 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    ** May not respond to a player asking "Why would you stack blindness on top of an illusion?" by saying "Alien minds don't think as you do; you might consider them mad if you could read their minds, or you might simply go mad yourself"
    That reminds me, some day I should get around to finishing the orange/blue morality & laws mad-libs thing I started.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Isn't that a town in Wales? Played with a fellow playgrounder a few weeks back who linked me to a recording of someone saying it. This makes me wonder: are (Tolkien) Ents Welsh, an should I role play treants that way?
    Yes. And that playgrounder was me, because I used it as an example of what a storybook evil elven[1] wizard villain (it made some sort of sense in context) would be named. Overly-long, pompous, unpronounceable (unless you're Welsh), with a bunch of fantasy apostrophes.

[1] my high elf language is based on Welsh, just like the wood elf language is based on Finnish.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Yes. And that playgrounder was me, because I used it as an example of what a storybook evil elven[1] wizard villain (it made some sort of sense in context) would be named.
    Well soak my beans and call me Frijole - my brain had mixed that up with a recent session with Dork_Forge (also on Discorde) due to the Wales connection in a previous communication I had with him.

Sorry.

[1] my high elf language is based on Welsh, just like the wood elf language is based on Finnish.
    Similar to but different from Prof T, I suppose.
    Hmm, maybe someday there will be an elf/dwarf/gnome language based on Hungarian ...
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-03-01 at 05:29 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Well soak my beans and call me Frijole - my brain had mixed that up with a recent session with Dork_Forge (also on Discorde) due to the Wales connection in a previous communication I had with him.

Sorry.

Similar to but different from Prof T, I suppose.
    Hmm, maybe someday there will be an elf/dwarf/gnome language based on Hungarian ...
    Not a problem. But yes, it was pointed out to me much later the connection to Tolkien. I haven't actually conlanged them, just use sounds and (hacked-together) words translated into those languages.

11. - Top - End - #851

Devil

* No longer allowed to invest enough ranks, feats, and magical bonuses in my Bluff skill that I need roll only a 2 or higher to convince the captain and officers of a Royal Navy anti-piracy schooner that this mess was a "perfectly legal proactive salvage operation".

... I'll leave it to your imaginations what "this mess" was.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

I may no longer cross talk (with the mic still on) when telling my wife "Yes, I am going to eat that."
    Spoiler: why I said that
    Show
    (She was gesturing to a second serving of saffron rice from the local Lebanese bistro)
    when the cleric happens to pick up the recently deceased piercer and asks "What are we going to do with this?"
    (Game on discord, text/chat)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-03-02 at 11:40 AM.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

* Yes, I said there's an opportunity to change up your subclass coming up, no you can't make it that homebrew Magical Girl rogue subclass!
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

14. - Top - End - #854
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    * Yes, I said there's an opportunity to change up your subclass coming up, no you can't make it that homebrew Magical Girl rogue subclass!
    **I should not mention a magical girl rogue subclass without some link for others to peruse
    ***pretty please?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    OBJECTION! "Magical Girl" is clearly a subclass of Warlock.

*I may not use my Criminal Contact background feature to bypass taxes and utterly de-stabilize the local economy with my fae-recipe Moonwine (actual thing that happened).
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

16. - Top - End - #856

*I cannot play a skimpily dressed bard/monk specilizing in dance who takes offense at being called a stripper becuase there's noting sexual about her state of ress or the way she dances in her native culture.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #857

...Overly-long, pompous, unpronounceable (unless you're Welsh), with a bunch of fantasy apostrophes.
    We call it Llanfairpwll locally. Nobody refers to it by its silly overly long name, although it's pretty cool.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    OBJECTION! "Magical Girl" is clearly a subclass of Warlock.

*I may not use my Criminal Contact background feature to bypass taxes and utterly de-stabilize the local economy with my fae-recipe Moonwine (actual thing that happened).
    …Well Warlock patrons aren’t always asswipes.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *I cannot play a skimpily dressed bard/monk specilizing in dance who takes offense at being called a stripper becuase there's noting sexual about her state of ress or the way she dances in her native culture.
    I see nothing wrong with any of this.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

* May not play a Moogle Blue Mage Mime who just wants to be a hero
    ** their efforts may not consist of imitating her favorite heroes from the stories she heard
    *** may not deep down feel like she is nothing but a fake who imitates others trying to be more than she is.
    **** Said heroes may not include anime martial artists, gun-toting eighties heroes, acting like Cloud or Squall, or any protagonist from a Tales Of game

21. - Top - End - #861

My character can't be a floating box with a lid and every time I make an action and a different person climbs halfway out to preform the action before immediately bing pulled back in by someone else

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #862

Proclamations of my not-evil bonafides with very specific denials are unlikely to get the heroes on my side.
    * the more energy I put into claiming to be evil, the less they will believe me.
    ** The more energy I put into claiming to be evil, the more the heroes will believe me.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

* my character concept may not be "bandit who observed that the adventuring business is more profitable and socially acceptable yet oddly not that different from banditry"
    ** may not speak in a cockney accent constantly going "mate"
    *** I am not the pirate of the land, and I do not wield a crossbow in one hand and a scimitar in the other.
    **** May not look down on murderhobos because they're amateurs, insist that I'm a professional and criticize them on their murdering and robbering.
    ***** may not have score cards for muggings.
    ****** May not have lost most of the cards so that the only scores I can give are "2", "4" or "7"

24. - Top - End - #864

** may not speak in a cockney accent constantly going "mate"
    But wasn't that the main premise of Planescape?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    But wasn't that the main premise of Planescape?
    * mate I never played planescape, mate.
    ** may not point out that, like mate this is a very common accent in fantasy mate, particularly in the british kind of fantasy y'know?
    *** like mate, its just given to any low class mate you see, mate.
    **** may not tell those who insist its planescape "off ye in the cobber, I don't see Siggles brand on me voice".

26. - Top - End - #866

At no point is the phrase "okay, I think I can get us into the castle, but I'm gonna thirty feet of copper wire, twelve heads of iceberg lettuce, and a gender-neutral komodo dragon fursuit" to pass my lips.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #867

***Names that summon elder evils are right out.
    How did you know about my bard, Sir Candle Jack Hastur Hastur Hastur Sluagh Hades Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu Slaanesh Asmodeus I Didn't Expect The Spanish Inquisition the Third?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

28. - Top - End - #868

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    How did you know about my bard, Sir Candle Jack Hastur Hastur Hastur Sluagh Hades Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu Slaanesh Asmodeus I Didn't Expect The Spanish Inquisition the Third?
    I was referencing Secret.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

I was referencing Secret.
    KoC reference! nice, you have taste.

* My Eclipse Caste may not just be a salesman who finds random junk then gives the greatest sales pitch for it you ever heard.
    ** May not literally sell sand to a southerner in a desert.
    *** Or seawater to a westerner, snow to a northerner or leaves to an easterner
    **** I may in fact just be a scammer and exactly what the Immaculate Order warned people about.
    ***** may not use fix this by using sorcery to make a bag of sand actually be a lucky charm, or a random bone actually ward off fae.
    ****** May not save the other solars by convincing the Wyld Hunt I knew where the anathema went and will tell them in exchange for buying one of my fine wares, then point them in the wrong way.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Titan in the Playground

I considered reading that comic until I learned it was discontinued because of the author's health. Sad.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.