New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not An Index CCXXXIII - Jasdoif's Random Banter #233

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    And my copy of Burning Wheel Codex arrived. Finally.

I'm going to get so sleep deprived next few days...
    Woooooo!

Honestly, I wish the GM advice in that game was just put into it's own book.

I've pre-ordered a copy of Sigil &Shadow, which should arrive next month. It's going to be interesting to compare it with the various US urban fantasy games I have to see the differences. But they haven't put out a bad game so far, in my opinion, so if Osprey keeps sticking to this 'one book and done'* model I might pick up all their RPGs.

* Yes, I know Jackals has a second book. I think I can forgive one adventure book after five games.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: I Can't Believe It's Not An Index CCXXXIII - Jasdoif's Random Banter #233

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Woooooo!

Honestly, I wish the GM advice in that game was just put into it's own book.

I've pre-ordered a copy of Sigil &Shadow, which should arrive next month. It's going to be interesting to compare it with the various US urban fantasy games I have to see the differences. But they haven't put out a bad game so far, in my opinion, so if Osprey keeps sticking to this 'one book and done'* model I might pick up all their RPGs.

* Yes, I know Jackals has a second book. I think I can forgive one adventure book after five games.
    That's wonderful. I'm so happy for you.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It's wonderful to go back to the movie theater again. I'm happy.
    What have you/are going to watch(ed)?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What have you/are going to watch(ed)?
    I've seen Cruella and In The Heights. Both wonderful movies. I'm thinking of deciding if I want to see either Fast & Furious 9 or Peter Rabbit 2.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

5. - Top - End - #785
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I have a 20cm lymphoma tumour and they need to get me on chemo ASAP, because this is potentially life-threatening. They want to get me into hospital within 48 hours, depending on bed availability. Once I've had the first session I'll need one every 3 weeks, but those can be done as outpatient appointments so shouldn't need a hospital stay.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I have a 20cm lymphoma tumour and they need to get me on chemo ASAP, because this is potentially life-threatening. They want to get me into hospital within 48 hours, depending on bed availability. Once I've had the first session I'll need one every 3 weeks, but those can be done as outpatient appointments so shouldn't need a hospital stay.
    :( I'm so sorry Factotum.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #787

The good news is that it's caught and can be mitigated. Hang in there, you've got this.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Ouch.

OUCH.

I mean, the good news is that it's clearly been caught while it can still be treated, and that you're being rushed to your appointment with well deserved urgency, but ouch.

I can't offer more than kind words and this glass of homeopathic dehydration medicine. I hope you pull through this.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

9. - Top - End - #789
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goddamn.... I mean, well, ****.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Be strong factotum, I wish you a speedy recovery.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #791

BlackDragon

Thanks for the well wishes, guys.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, hope everything turns out okay.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Titan in the Playground

Writing is weird.

I've just written a scene where I have to make it clear that my main character has had her initiation into what's essentially a loose order of magic users, and I'm now trying to write a speech that'll make a weird experience seem justified. I think this might have actually been easier if I'd had it be a fantastical spirit quest, but it's just a mundane ceremony where a key aspect is your teacher learning what bits you focused on.

Show

14. - Top - End - #794
    Titan in the Playground

Writing is weird.

I've just written a scene where I have to make it clear that my main character has had her initiation into what's essentially a loose order of magic users, and I'm now trying to write a speech that'll make a weird experience seem justified. I think this might have actually been easier if I'd had it be a fantastical spirit quest, but it's just a mundane ceremony where a key aspect is your teacher learning what bits you focused on.
    Oh, that's easy: "Look it's either you [insert weird experience here] or filling this personality quizz."
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, that's easy: "Look it's either you [insert weird experience here] or filling this personality quizz."
    Yeah, pretty much the gist of it, although with some additional strange requirements that have been added to be entirely pointless (she is shaved off screen, with several references being made to this going so far as to include arm hair). I honestly feel like what I'm going to have to do is go back and set it up sightly better, so that yes it still comes off as weird but clearly in character for her mentor.

I do, however, have a nice little speech written about why she was chosen, which makes one of the themes I'm using more explicit. Mainly because it gets buried a bit under a thing that's just there for world building and this is where I can add some clarification that's in-character.

Show

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

Sending good vibes! <3
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

17. - Top - End - #797
    Bugbear in the Playground

Writing is weird.

A sufficient amount of symbolism can justify any weird experience. Might be a bit of a world building opportunity too.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    A sufficient amount of symbolism can justify any weird experience. Might be a bit of a world building opportunity too.
    Oh, it's definitely given me an excuse to derive into world building via the philosophy of magic and the fact that it's very much not an inborn trait. I'm trying not to go too heavy on the world building and spread it out a bit, there's ruins (roughly 700 years old) from another civilisation that come up later but it's intentionally made uncertain as to the details of the culture and their achievements (it was over half a millennium ago and people had more important things to do once the ribs had all been looted).

There's clearly been a switch off main character since I started, and I've also got to decide on my audience so I know what kind of content I can include.

Show

19. - Top - End - #799
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Add mine to the pile. I got faith in you! And the British Healthcare system.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-24 at 11:07 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh, it's definitely given me an excuse to derive into world building via the philosophy of magic and the fact that it's very much not an inborn trait. I'm trying not to go too heavy on the world building and spread it out a bit, there's ruins (roughly 700 years old) from another civilisation that come up later but it's intentionally made uncertain as to the details of the culture and their achievements (it was over half a millennium ago and people had more important things to do once the ribs had all been looted).

There's clearly been a switch off main character since I started, and I've also got to decide on my audience so I know what kind of content I can include.
    You could also just have somebody come out and flat out say its hazing, and that its a tradition that they all went through, so they have the right to put new people through it. Help establish the group's hierarchy.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #801
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You could also just have somebody come out and flat out say its hazing, and that its a tradition that they all went through, so they have the right to put new people through it. Help establish the group's hierarchy.
    Hierarchy?

I suppose I should add an informal one at some point.

But that's pretty much the reason at the end of the day, establish the relationship between teacher and student and get them feeling like a magic user, plus the question of what does the experience help them come up with (which is useful to help guide the new witch's teaching, but it only matters that they can articulate something).

Show

22. - Top - End - #802

Hierarchy?
    "we've always done it this way".

There's nothing saying you can't have them use crappy justifications. Unless you don't want them. To be crappy people, of course.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    "we've always done it this way".

There's nothing saying you can't have them use crappy justifications. Unless you don't want them. To be crappy people, of course.
    You know the one about the woman who used to cut both ends of the strudel before putting it into oven?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

24. - Top - End - #804

You know the one about the woman who used to cut both ends of the strudel before putting it into oven?
    I don't, and while I can imagine where it's going I still want to hear it.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Strudel joke-story
    Show
    Certain strudel-loving gentleman marries a young lady. One day he asks her to prepare a strudel for him and watches her. As she prepares to put it on the baking pan, she cuts off both ends of the strudel.

He asks her why - and she responds "That's how my mother used to do it."

So when they go visit the in-laws, he asks her mother to prepare a strudel.

She does the same - cuts off the ends of the strudel. He asks why - the response is the same. "That's how my mother used to do it."

After some time, they go visit the old lady. She is happy to have them visiting her, so she asks what can she prepare for them.

The husband immediately asks her to prepare a strudel.

She does the same thing - cuts off both ends of the strudel. Once he asks why, she responds with a smile. "Oh, that's just a silly old me. When I was younger, we had these short baking pots, so you had to cut off both ends for it to fit and I just got too used to it."

As a part-Austrian, how do you feel about Strudel-related stories/jokes?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

26. - Top - End - #806

Spoiler: Strudel joke-story
    Show
    Certain strudel-loving gentleman marries a young lady. One day he asks her to prepare a strudel for him and watches her. As she prepares to put it on the baking pan, she cuts off both ends of the strudel.

He asks her why - and she responds "That's how my mother used to do it."

So when they go visit the in-laws, he asks her mother to prepare a strudel.

She does the same - cuts off the ends of the strudel. He asks why - the response is the same. "That's how my mother used to do it."

After some time, they go visit the old lady. She is happy to have them visiting her, so she asks what can she prepare for them.

The husband immediately asks her to prepare a strudel.

She does the same thing - cuts off both ends of the strudel. Once he asks why, she responds with a smile. "Oh, that's just a silly old me. When I was younger, we had these short baking pots, so you had to cut off both ends for it to fit and I just got too used to it."

As a part-Austrian, how do you feel about Strudel-related stories/jokes?
    Jokes are jokes, I like the good ones. Got a good chuckle out of that. Though it may sadden some to hear I'm not a big strudel fan as far as eating goes. I do make a mean kaesespaetzle though.

.....i may make it the way my mom used to.

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Jokes are jokes, I like the good ones. Got a good chuckle out of that. Though it may sadden some to hear I'm not a big strudel fan as far as eating goes. I do make a mean kaesespaetzle though.

.....i may make it the way my mom used to.
    Parent food is best food.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #808

Parent food is best food.
    Aye. Also, always nice to namedrop that dish without someone replying "bless you".

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Aye. Also, always nice to namedrop that dish without someone replying "bless you".
    Of course. The correct response is "gesundheit".
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

30. - Top - End - #810

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Of course. The correct response is "gesundheit".
    Bless you.