New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default "Wolfmen" wanted [ideally PF]

I'm trying to figure out if there are existing monsters/races I can use for my new game. What I'd like it something like a Wolf-Man hybrid that is NOT a shapechanger but exists exclusively in this hybrid form. They should be pretty feral and possess natural claw and bite attacks, even though some might choose to fight with manufactured weapons instead.

Oh yeah and preferrably not reliant on grappling, bc everyone hates grapple rules.

Ofc I could simply take the stats of the hybrid forms of werewolves or skinchangers, but I think that's pretty cheap. So, anyone got something on hand in either the PF or 3.5 resources?
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "Wolfmen" wanted [ideally PF]

Well, in 3.5, you've got the Lupin race from Dragon Compendium. They don't natively have natural attacks, but you could put the Feral template or similar on them?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Pathfinder has Rougarou which are the playable LA0 bipedal wolfmen you seem to be looking for - they're in Bestiary 6. They have a bite attack but no claws, though those aren't too hard to get if you really want them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Pathfinder has Rougarou which are the playable LA0 bipedal wolfmen you seem to be looking for - they're in Bestiary 6. They have a bite attack but no claws, though those aren't too hard to get if you really want them.
    For what it's worth since OP mentioned not wanting shapechanging, Spheres introduced some alternate racial traits for Rougarou that trade out Shapeshifting for a talent in the Beastmastery sphere: http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/al...l-traits#toc37
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

I assumed that by "no shapeshifting" OP meant "I don't want a race that has to 'turn on' its hybrid form instead of having it naturally, like a skinwalker would" rather than "if it has any shapeshifting ability at all, verboten."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Anthropomorphic Wolf from Savage Species is 2 monstrous HD and LA+2 Str+2, Dex+4, Con+4, Wis+4, Natural Armor+2, and a bite attack that can trip.

7. - Top - End - #7

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I assumed that by "no shapeshifting" OP meant "I don't want a race that has to 'turn on' its hybrid form instead of having it naturally, like a skinwalker would" rather than "if it has any shapeshifting ability at all, verboten."
    Yeah, primarily that. ^^I'll have a look at the Rougarou and maybe swap out their shapeshifting for something else (like claws ;) ).

I'll also have a look at the anthro wolf and the other options that have been mentioned, might fit the bill. ^^

And then I guess I'll whip up a handful of savage NPC blocks for them, like Barbarian, Bloodrager, Skald, Shaman... but they should come with as little extra bookkeeping as possible.

Technically, even a re-skinned Half-Orc or Orc might do the trick, if there's a way to give them (permanent) claws. Unfo I don't know very much about natural attacks; partly I want to build these creatures to understand the concept better. =)
    Last edited by Firechanter; 2021-06-04 at 02:55 AM.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

3.5 wolves don't have claw attacks.

If you want something with a claw/claw/bite routine, then Anthropomorphic Badger, Wolverine, Bear, or some form of Cat provides that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

For another route, Moonlight Meditant soulknives get a lot of werewolf themed stuff. Just refluff as RHD.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    Anthropomorphic Wolf from Savage Species is 2 monstrous HD and LA+2 Str+2, Dex+4, Con+4, Wis+4, Natural Armor+2, and a bite attack that can trip.
    You also have anthro dog and riding dog, afb but I believe anthro dog is actually the most powerful because that template is a bit screwy...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

I guess turning into a wolf can be useful (for +2 Str) or disguising (no ever suspects the wolf).

Surprised they don't get animal affinity for wolfs.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Okay, thanks for the assistance everyone, I think with these examples I can construct something ready to use.
    And yeah I'll post some statblocks here when I'm done. :)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Half Minotaur Beguiler

Small Size Str -4, Dex +6, Int +2, 2 Claws, 1 Bite, 1 Weapon when in bipedal full attack mode
    Size Change Str +4, Dex -2, Con +2
    Half Minotaur Str +4, Con +2, Int -2
    Total Str +4, Dex +4, Con +4, Int +0 plus other goodies not listed here

Sigh it technically does not work for Beguilers are Magical Beasts and you need to be a humanoid, monstrous humanoid, or a giant to be a half ogre or half minotaur.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

How about Wolfwere? (There are also versions of it in the Denizens of Dread and Tome of Horrors, Revised)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

How about the Shifter with Longtooth trait, Wild racial variant, Lycanthrope bloodline, and Feral template?
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2021-06-11 at 07:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

biggrin Re: "Wolfmen" wanted [ideally PF]

How about Marv?

Marvin Arthur Wolfman (born May 13, 1946) is an American comic book and novelization writer.