New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: OOTS #1236 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would be very surprised if anyone in the Order, who have zero knowledge of Serini's diary, manage to deduce that Xykon learned of the other gates by reading Serini's diary.
    Don't they though?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don't see how "you weren't avle to fight Xykon" is going to help convince her that Xykon must be fought.
    I suspect “if you weren’t out in the open for Xykon to find you, then he’d never have found your Gate in the first place” or something on those lines might do a bit more?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Ah, forgot about that. Fair.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #274
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I suspect “if you weren’t out in the open for Xykon to find you, then he’d never have found your Gate in the first place” or something on those lines might do a bit more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    More or less, but I suspect it’d be more of the collected annoyance at the Scribblers’ collective failures and how it’s led to this, especially if Serini is gonna try and take the high ground on this.

I mean, Roy looked real mad at Girard there back when the thing went off and here, I imagine accusations thrown at them would anger each one of them for different reasons and thus each taking their turn at pointing out the flaws in Serini’s process.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

What do orange swirly eyes mean? have we seen that color eyes in a spell before?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Colossus in the Playground

Swirly eyes in general mean enchantment magic, the shade of the swirlyness tends to be tied to the colour of the caster's magic.

Nale, whose magic is yellow, produces yellow swirly eyes:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html

Vampire Durkon, whose magic is red, produces red swirly eyes:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1122.html

and so on.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-06-18 at 04:24 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #277
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I guess it occurred to me at some point that someone will eventually point out that, well, "You've failed to defeat Xykon, so your judgment on how to handle him can no longer be trusted!" said someone who failed to defeat Xykon, and whose judgment should totally be trusted.

I can't imagine it'd so much as faze her, though. Why should anyone care about being a hypocrite when the fate of the world is at stake?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    I guess it occurred to me at some point that someone will eventually point out that, well, "You've failed to defeat Xykon, so your judgment on how to handle him can no longer be trusted!" said someone who failed to defeat Xykon, and whose judgment should totally be trusted.

I can't imagine it'd so much as faze her, though. Why should anyone care about being a hypocrite when the fate of the world is at stake?
    She's not trying to defeat Xykon though, and from a purely logical position she's probably spot on about their chances of winning. This is a story so narrative convention matters, but she doesn't know that (or rather, the characters' only think like that when it's supposed to be funny).
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    She's not trying to defeat Xykon though, and from a purely logical position she's probably spot on about their chances of winning. This is a story so narrative convention matters, but she doesn't know that (or rather, the characters' only think like that when it's supposed to be funny).
    I mean, the only reason I’m this frustrated with her is because she doesn’t seem to either know or care that the Snarl can literally rip the multiverse to shreds rather than just being another generic doomsday device. I guess she might not know that the gods were willing to destroy the world, but she should at least be aware of the possibility as well.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quick question: does any of our casters have Invisibility Purge? I don't remember the Order fighting invisible ennemies before.

From the Frost Giant and Exaargh fight, I gather that spell is more of a Cleric spell, but I reckon Durkon won't have it prepared because, well, Durkon. Elan is barely a caster and he's incapacitated right now. Could V cast it? V has Invisibility so that sounds like something that would come with.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think we've seen them use Invisibility Purge, but Durkon did dispel Xykon's invisibility with Greater Dispel Magic. Without knowing a whole lot about D&D mechanics, I'd be surprised if one of them didn't have that or something else sufficient* prepared.

(* - I dunno if regular Dispel Magic would work or what kind of invisibility is being used here.)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Invisibility Purge is a Cleric-only spell I believe, and Glitterdust’s a Conjuration spell so V can’t do that either.

Really, I know the Giant is purposely making them unoptimized, but they’re practically asking for a TPK. Especially since Rich has no such reluctance for antagonist builds.

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I don't think we've seen them use Invisibility Purge, but Durkon did dispel Xykon's invisibility with Greater Dispel Magic. Without knowing a whole lot about D&D mechanics, I'd be surprised if one of them didn't have that or something else sufficient* prepared.

(* - I dunno if regular Dispel Magic would work or what kind of invisibility is being used here.)
    Good call, I had forgotten that.
    Invisibility Purge is a Cleric-only spell I believe, and Glitterdust’s a Conjuration spell so V can’t do that either.

Really, I know the Giant is purposely making them unoptimized, but they’re practically asking for a TPK. Especially since Rich has no such reluctance for antagonist builds.
    Well, there's a reason "David vs Goliath" is a popular match up.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose if she’s using a wand, scroll, or magic item for invisibility, a normal area-version Dispel Magic would probably short it out with not much risk of wiping out their own buffs.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Rather then invisibility purge or glitterdust they could just have Vaarsuvius cast see invisibility, it wouldn't help the rest of the party directly but would let Vaarsuvius inform them about the invisible person and the location thereof and it lasts a lot longer then invisibility purge or glitterdust and is much more reliable them dispel magic.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

[QUOTE=Fyraltari;25091952]From the Frost Giant and Exaargh fight, I gather that spell is more of a Cleric spell/QUOTE]

The tricky thing with D&D is that it can be hard to tell a Wizard/Sorc spell from a Cleric/Druid spell except for the obvious ones. Generally, Clerics and Druids can heal while Wizards and Sorcerers can't, but W/Ss have big blasty spells while C/Ds don't. It even that isn't hard and fast.

Utility spells can be a toss up.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-19 at 01:28 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Rather then invisibility purge or glitterdust they could just have Vaarsuvius cast see invisibility, it wouldn't help the rest of the party directly but would let Vaarsuvius inform them about the invisible person and the location thereof and it lasts a lot longer then invisibility purge or glitterdust and is much more reliable them dispel magic.
    Yeah - and then Serini shreds V with poisoned crossbow bolts. I doubt she wouldn’t have prepared against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    From the Frost Giant and Exaargh fight, I gather that spell is more of a Cleric spell
    The tricky thing with D&D is that it can be hard to tell a Wizard/Sorc spell from a Cleric/Druid spell except for the obvious ones. Generally, Clerics and Druids can heal while Wizards and Sorcerers can't, but W/Ss have big blasty spells while C/Ds don't. It even that isn't hard and fast.

Utility spells can be a toss up.
    Invisibility Purge really isn’t on the Sorc/Wiz list though. Also FYI, Druids have better blasting than Clerics, though still worse than arcanists.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-06-19 at 01:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah - and then Serini shreds V with poisoned crossbow bolts. I doubt she wouldn’t have prepared against that.
    Protection for Arrows also protects from crossbow bolts.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

Especially since Rich has no such reluctance for antagonist builds.
    NPCs often have some observable degree of optimization, but they are very very far from polished works from a minmax perspective. Xykon, notably, seems to lack any means to directly counter Invisibility, which is a glaring hole for someone who prides himself on his ability to take out Wizards.

I, suppose, in a pinch, he Readies an Action to hit his best guess square with Supreme Dispelling. But that would suh-huck if he were tested at a gaming table rather than in a story.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Invisibility Purge really isn’t on the Sorc/Wiz list though.
    Okay, but Redcloak is a Cleric. I'm pretty sure that if we had seen the party try to ambush Xykon and co with invisibility and RC or Xykon noticed/had True Seeing up, then RC would drop a round of Invisibility Purge.

Because both of them are moderately paranoid, high level adventurers can use Invisibility and ambush you, and it's just a spell slot or two instead of building your kit around it.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-19 at 08:10 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Protection for Arrows also protects from crossbow bolts.
    Sure - non-magical arrows and bolts. It fails miserably as soon as the arrow has a +1 bonus, and I have no idea why you’d think an epic rogue would only use masterwork weapons.

Okay, but Redcloak is a Cleric. I'm pretty sure that if we had seen the party try to ambush Xykon and co with invisibility and RC or Xykon noticed/had True Seeing up, then RC would drop a round of Invisibility Purge.

Because both of them are moderately paranoid, high level adventurers can use Invisibility and ambush you, and it's just a spell slot or two instead of building your kit around it.
    Uh, okay? I was talking about how V can’t cast it instead since Durkon would never have it prepared in a situation where it might help though?

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure - non-magical arrows and bolts. It fails miserably as soon as the arrow has a +1 bonus, and I have no idea why you’d think an epic rogue would only use masterwork weapons.
    I am not entirely sure what you are arguing for here - that invisibility purge or glitterdust would be better then see invisibility, they are different spells with different uses so depending on circumstances yes.

However the easiest counter she has to being spotted is likely high ranks in hide and move silently making any invisibility merely an unneeded buff.

If on the other hand she actually needs to rely on that invisibility then the idea that she would beat with ease a stoneskinned wizard who could hide in a round behind a forcecage/wall - but has no plans for what is known to be a fairly common cleric spell seems odd.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Uh, okay? I was talking about how V can’t cast it instead since Durkon would never have it prepared in a situation where it might help though?
    Sorry, I got mixed up with the conversation about "antagonist builds" and optimization. Lost track of things, my bad.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-19 at 10:14 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

I am not entirely sure what you are arguing for here - that invisibility purge or glitterdust would be better then see invisibility, they are different spells with different uses so depending on circumstances yes.

However the easiest counter she has to being spotted is likely high ranks in hide and move silently making any invisibility merely an unneeded buff.

If on the other hand she actually needs to rely on that invisibility then the idea that she would beat with ease a stoneskinned wizard who could hide in a round behind a forcecage/wall - but has no plans for what is known to be a fairly common cleric spell seems odd.
    I’m saying that See Invisibility alone does not mean they can easily find and beat her up.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

I’m saying that See Invisibility alone does not mean they can easily find and beat her up.
    That is correct I am not sure she is invisible at all - and if she is I doubt she would stand out in the open with it given the various methods of bypassing it, including true-seeing now that I think of it which both Vaarsuvius and Durkon have.

My initial post above could likely have been better with a few quotes embedded into it.

My basic point was 'yes the order has ways of seeing invisible people' the most obvious might be see invisibility, whether that would help with this specific invisible person or not is not something I commented on (until we started talking about how to deal with see invisibility).

If Serini's big plan is 'I am invisible therefore I am invincible' I will be somewhat disappointed in her.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2021-06-19 at 11:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Bugbear in the Playground

That is correct I am not sure she is invisible at all - and if she is I doubt she would stand out in the open with it given the various methods of bypassing it, including true-seeing now that I think of it which both Vaarsuvius and Durkon have.
    Does the elvish ability to spot secret doors also cover things like tiny peep-holes in walls, ceilings, and floors?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Does the elvish ability to spot secret doors also cover things like tiny peep-holes in walls, ceilings, and floors?
    It certainly won’t cover things like Dimension Door wands that’s for sure.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    What I don't get is, why does she bother interfering before they reach anywhere close to the gate? If the Order and the paladins fight Xykon either outside or inside one of the many dungeons, they can't blow out the gate even if they lose, because they are neither close to the gate nor they know where it is...

Serini should just let Xykon and the Order (and paladins) kill each other. If the Order defeats Xykon? nice, everything is solved.... If Xykon kills them? Well, at least Serini didn't have to dirty her hands disposing of some heroes...

The gate would be in danger only if Xykon and the Order found it at the same time and fought their final battle in front of it, but what are the chances of it happening...? Well, a Bard like Elan would say that is bound to happen because of narrative conventions, but Serini doesn't look like somebody to trust narrative conventions.... She doesn't think that Good will defeat Evil in the last minute, to begin with...

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    What I don't get is, why does she bother interfering before they reach anywhere close to the gate? If the Order and the paladins fight Xykon either outside or inside one of the many dungeons, they can't blow out the gate even if they lose, because they are neither close to the gate nor they know where it is...
    To be super nitpicky, we don't know where the Gate actually is or how to reach it. There's a non-zero chance that a fight in the corridors might affect the Gate.

More importantly, if the Order loses they might well tip off Team Evil as to how the trap works. Unwittingly or (conceivably) under torture.

But also, Serini doesn't want the Order to die. She wants to get them out of harm's way. Saying she should just let Xykon kill them is a misunderstanding of her character IMO.
    ungelic is us

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

If ‘stop the idiots from committing Xykon-assisted suicide’ was that high up on her priority list I imagine she’d have mentioned it already. Though I suppose she was talking with paladins.

That being said I wonder if the portal scam is that strong of a defense? A group strong enough to not instantly get vaporized by the monsters in the fake dungeons would usually have either a mage who’d put in the work scanning the general area for magic and/or a trapfinder good enough to figure it out, so it’s more of a “you must be this tall” feature than a main line of a defense I think.

On the other hand, of course, Xykon doesn’t have the patience or diligence to scan every square with Detect Magic et. al or to wait for that, and nobody on Team Evil has trapfinding at all so no need to break it if it’s working I guess.

Extended sig here.