New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

"That is a good point Wren." Razvan comments. "We must keep our minds open to various possibilities as to what can be causing this graffiti if not other goings on in the area."

2. - Top - End - #542
    Colossus in the Playground

Is the party done here at the Memorial?
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

3. - Top - End - #543

SamuraiGirl

"Well said indeed. Eyes open; minds alert."

Marius then attempts to collect a sample of the blood, in hopes of persuading Mr. Evans to compare it to the previous sample. After gathering what he can, Marius will turn to the others and say, "I think that is all I can personally do, sorry. Unless there's more here, I think I will head after any town hall documents on Vesorianna. I wouldn't be much use persuading the priests, but records I think I can handle."

4. - Top - End - #544

So, Marius is heading to Town Hall for a side research.

Is anyone going to with him?

Meanwhile, is anyone going to go with Wren to talk to Father Grimburrow?
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Even though he did not have much success last time, Othello will accompany Wren to see the Father.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax joins Wren. ”I feel like we are being manipulated and I want to get to the bottom of it.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

7. - Top - End - #547

Beholder

"Though I think that we are done at the memorial currently, I do think that we should keep watch on it during the night if we are able to do so."

"As for the Father, I do not look forward to encountering him again,"
    Razvan admits, "but I will accompany those heading that way. Unless we do not wish to have anyone alone or some could use my assistance elsewhere."

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm tries to hide a grimace behind his beard. "As much as I'd like to help scour the records at town hall, I think it will be best if I go speak with Father Grimburrow."

9. - Top - End - #549

Spoiler: Othello, Abrax, Hargrimm, Wren
    Show
    The fearsome foursome go to see Father Fear himself. Surprisingly, you are shown right into Father Grimburrow's reception chamber as the priest is in (which is uncommon for mid-morning).

He just looks at you, waiting for you to explain your presence here.

Spoiler: Marius, Razvan
    Show
    The town council is present doing their various clerical jobs with a couple other minor functionaries. What do the two of you do?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm gives a dip of the head as greeting to the curmudgeonly cleric. "We've had an encounter with an undead last night. It looked to be Professor Lorrimor. The corpse turned to dust after it was put down. We would like your permission to examine the gravesite and any help you could give in finding who could have animated the Professor's body."

Hargrimm holds his breath as he awaits Grimburrow's response and regrets not asking Folgrit for Eagle's Splendor.

11. - Top - End - #551

Spoiler: Temple of Pharasma: Hargrimm, Othello, Abrax, Wren
    Show
    Wren speaks up, "Here is what is happening as I've observed it, Father. Twice now Harrowstone Memorial has been slathered with blood letters ... first 'V' then 'E' this morning, which we think spells out 'Vesorianna,' who was Warden Lyran Hawkran's wife. A rat's blood was used previously, and we're awaiting analysis on the slightly larger amount of blood from today's graffiti.

"Abrax there mentioned ghostly wagon wheels or something, though Abrax? You might be better to explain that one.

"Last night at Zokar's, the dwarves here were attacked by stirges that seemed to move to music.

"Also around the same time, the Professor came to the house, but as a zombie. The heroes that were there destroyed his remains, and Kendra has his ashes. However, it should be noted that Professor Lorrimor's face had been deformed - the entire mouth section ripped away. Very likely, to keep the professor from being able to speak via speak with dead. This tracks with information that Kendra's servant turned up regarding the Whispering Way.

"I was not with them, but these gentlemen were ... they did an initial foray of Harrowstone. They destroyed an animated scythe but were attacked by disembodied cold. But the haunts are of less import than the recent script found on the outside. The runes are written in Varisian, along with several magical incantations, repeating the name Lyran Hawkran dozens of times.

"Here is my supposition. The Whispering Way has interest in Harrowstone. Professor Lorrimor discovered something and through misadventure was killed. Falling stone work could shatter a jaw, but not rip out the tongue - that was purposeful work, with the falling stonework a cover. The runes still need to be analzyed..."
    here he gives a look to Hargrimm ... "but we think that the Whispering Way is riling up the Warden's spirit for an as-yet-unknown purpose. This either has a secondary effect of various other disquietudes occurring in Thrushmoor. Whether they are supernatural through mortal means, or mortals creating supernatural and undead servants has yet to be positively proven.

"I ask for our group to be allowed to do two things. The first I ask as a matter of courtesy, but as visitors to a loved one's grave, it would not be an issue. That is to look at Professor Lorrimor's grave to study means of his corpse's exit. Second, and that is to arm ourselves with what can be found in the secret cache mentioned in Professor Lorrimor's notes. When they fought the cold spot haunt yesterday, they were forced to back out."

Father Grimburrow seemed completely unimpressed with Hargrimm, but listens intently to the disheveled man in the torn clothing with a bloodstained doctor's coat. He nods. "Very well, I will send an acolyte with you as a witness. I expect a full accounting of items used from this cache ... don't just take whatever you please ... and when troubles are over, anything not used will be returned."

Wren looks to the others. "Is that acceptable?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #552

Beholder

"Hello good town council, the kind sheriff granted us permission to peruse the town records." Razvan begins with a short bow.

"He has asked for our assistance in a small matter and we hope to find clues amongst the records. Could you guide us to said files? Thank you."

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Temple of Pharasma
    Show
    Hargrimm nods vigorously to Wren. "I pretty much got that point across, I thought. If you squint your ears." He mumbles while slinking to the rear of the party.

14. - Top - End - #554

SamuraiGirl

Marius glances at Razvan during his introduction before saying his own hello. "Yes, we wish to learn more about a deceased resident--Vesorianna, the old warden's wife--and the sheriff suggested you would be the best source of records and information, if you don't mind helping us. Would you happen to have anything related to her that you are at liberty to share?"

15. - Top - End - #555

Town Hall

The clerk shakes his head, obviously distrustful of both of you. "Do you have anything written from the Sheriff? I doubt it, because he doesn't have that authority to open up the Ravengro Town Hall records. So, the answer is ... 'no.'"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Spoiler: Temple of Pharasma
    Show

"Thank you, Father. We appreciate your support in these actions." says Othello with a bow and a nod to the others.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

17. - Top - End - #557

TEMPLE OF PHARASMA

Despite being uncharacteristically "accommodating" (which is a generous term), Father Grimburrow eyes Othello with nearly as much suspicion as he did to Hargrimm. Maybe he's racist against dwarves.

Abrax, do you say anything?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax watches, surprised and more than a little suspicious of how easy this suddenly is. He just nods to the cleric and says nothing.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

19. - Top - End - #559

SamuraiGirl

Marius nods his head at the clerk's refusal, replying with a voice of apologetic confusion and meek hopefulness, "I understand: thank you for your candor. Good governance cannot have just anybody off the street asking for records, I recognize. If I may, how should we seek authorization? Is there a form of some sort? I want to approach our request by the book, but being from Courtaud myself, I do not know how Ravengro's local book goes in this instance but would like to learn."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I recognize we already failed our diplomacy roll for this situation, but this felt like an authentic response from Marius. If the clerk refuses to give us even these directions, Marius is good to give up on the town hall unless Razvan has anything he wants to attempt or say.

20. - Top - End - #560

RAVENGRO TOWN HALL

The clerk shakes his head. "You would need a signed and notarized affidavit from one of the council members ... which comes from them offering a thing to you, not you having a random form filled out."

TEMPLE OF PHARASMA TO RESTLANDS

Othello, Abrax, Hargrimm, & Wren walk with an acolyte to the Restlands.

The first stop is Professor Lorrimor's grave. Othello and Wren easily determine that there don't appear to be any tracks nearby the grave, and that the grave was "auto-exhumed" ... that something clawed its way upwards through and burst out of the ground, rather than having been dug out.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm approaches the grave and scans the hole left by the exhumation with Detect Magic. "Necromancers usually need to make contact with the body they intend to animate. There may have been something left in the casket to do the deed as soon as Grimburrow's magics wore off." he explains.

22. - Top - End - #562

SamuraiGirl

Marius again nods at the clerk's answer, saying with an unsurprised but somber tone, "Thank you for the explanation and for your time. I believe all my inquiries are now answered, unless my colleague has anything to add or ask, so I will bid you good day."

23. - Top - End - #563

Beholder

Razvan adds, "Yes thank you kind workers of the clerical nature. As my companion says, our inquiries have been satisfactorily answered." He gives a quick nod to the room and will leave in an orderly fashion.

Once outside Razvan will talk quietly with Marius as they walk to avoid being overheard. "It seems we are being thwarted on that end for now, unless ... do we know of who sits on the council?"

"If not, should we try an catch up with the others or wait back at the house?"

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax kicks around in the fresh-turned grave dirt, looking to see if the Professor's lower jaw might have fallen off when he escaped his cairn.

Show

25. - Top - End - #565

SamuraiGirl

Marius shakes his head. "I don't go in much for politics, and I don't know if this faint hope of a lead is worth the attention it'd garner or time it would take. But I'm fine to report our stonewalling to the others back at Kendra's: a failed experiment can still be a learning experience, after all."

26. - Top - End - #566

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Ason View Post
    Marius shakes his head. "I don't go in much for politics, and I don't know if this faint hope of a lead is worth the attention it'd garner or time it would take. But I'm fine to report our stonewalling to the others back at Kendra's: a failed experiment can still be a learning experience, after all."

"Good point Marius," Razvan nods in frustration. "Though perhaps we can search through the documents we secured from the prison or the Professors library for information about the wardens wife. It might be a slim hope, but one nonetheless that our time has not been totally wasted." Razvan heads towards Kendra's home.

27. - Top - End - #567

Lorrimor Place

Razvan and Marius return to the house. What do you do?

The Restlands

"I think we've seen what we can see here," says Wren. "We should head to this crypt that Professor Lorrimor pointed out."

Is a majority fine with that, or do you have anything more you wish to do here?
    Show

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    The Restlands

"I think we've seen what we can see here," says Wren. "We should head to this crypt that Professor Lorrimor pointed out."

Othello enthusiastically agrees they should go to the crypt.

29. - Top - End - #569

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Lorrimor Place

Razvan and Marius return to the house. What do you do?

Razvan will begin searching through the prison records and the library looking for any information about the wardens wife.

30. - Top - End - #570

SamuraiGirl

Recognizing the logic of Razvan's proposal, Marius follows his lead in reading through the prison's documents to make sense of the haul, keeping an eye out for any mentions of the warden's wife.