New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Eternals - Final Trailer

Now with 500% more laser eyes:

Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, they do give a wafer-thin justification for why the Eternals didn't fight Thanos, although it really doesn't hold up.

On the other, lots of laser eyes. And fighty stuff. And really dramatic music. And a quick shot of some giant six-eyed cosmic being who I assume is a giant six-eyed easter egg of some sort.

Yeah, hard pass on this one.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-08-19 at 06:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eternals - Final Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the one hand, they do give a wafer-thin justification for why the Eternals didn't fight Thanos, although it really doesn't hold up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gotta agree with this. Humans are expected to take on 5-Stone Thanos and multiple other alien invasions but the mutated dinosaur people are too much?

I do kind of wonder if they’re going use the Deviants to populate the MCU Savage Land.

Spoiler
    Show
    And a quick shot of some giant six-eyed cosmic being who I assume is a giant six-eyed easter egg of some sort.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe that’s a Celestial. I think you were in the last thread where it came up but for the people that weren’t: remember Knowhere in Guardians of the Galaxy? That was a Celestial’s head.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe that’s a Celestial. I think you were in the last thread where it came up but for the people that weren’t: remember Knowhere in Guardians of the Galaxy? That was a Celestial’s head.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I was like 99.9% certain that Ego had identified himself as a celestial, but he looks nothing like that thing in the trailer. Was Ego lying? Do celestials come in more shapes and sizes? Or is this thing different?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I was like 99.9% certain that Ego had identified himself as a celestial, but he looks nothing like that thing in the trailer. Was Ego lying? Do celestials come in more shapes and sizes? Or is this thing different?
    Spoiler
    Show
    We don't know. They definitely come in different shapes and sizes (based on comic precedence), but Ego could've been lying too. He was like that. If Ego WAS telling the truth (big if) then yeah, he's of the same group of people as the trailer.

Man I really, REALLY hope there is more to the deviants than just some souped up dinosaurs. I want me my Ghaur and Kro and other weird monster-men dangit! That would be the disappoint.

Also, not a single scene of BK with a sword. I'm starting to think that Dane Whitman is just going to be a normal scientitian in this movie with no black knight ness at all.

I'm personally tired of everyone in the MCU becoming a sarcastic quipster, but Phastos' line reading on "you know what has never saved the universe? Your sarcasm" cracked. me. up.

I think the movie looks beautiful, but it wasn't what I was hoping for I guess. I was hoping for more Kirby-esque brightness. You know, hidden cities deep under the earth. Monsters in elaborate armor pulling levers on enormous chunky machines. deviants who are more head than body.
    Last edited by Wintermoot; 2021-08-19 at 10:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    We don't know. They definitely come in different shapes and sizes (based on comic precedence), but Ego could've been lying too. He was like that. If Ego WAS telling the truth (big if) then yeah, he's of the same group of people as the trailer.

Man I really, REALLY hope there is more to the deviants than just some souped up dinosaurs. I want me my Ghaur and Kro and other weird monster-men dangit! That would be the disappoint.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, when you're an all powerful space goober you can be a planet if you want.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, when you're an all powerful space goober you can be a planet if you want.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect when it all plays out, it will be revealed that Ego was lying about being a celestial. Now whether that was the intention of James Gunn all along or just a retrofit from some later creator will never be clear, but that's life in the industry of comic book properties. Everything you do can and will be undone by those who come after you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

So they know what vibranium is and how to shape it... hmmm...

Spoiler
    Show

On the other, lots of laser eyes. And fighty stuff. And really dramatic music. And a quick shot of some giant six-eyed cosmic being who I assume is a giant six-eyed easter egg of some sort.

Yeah, hard pass on this one.
    I find it amusing you made a whole thread about it just to say "hard pass" I was going to post in the Phase 4 thread.

Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect when it all plays out, it will be revealed that Ego was lying about being a celestial. Now whether that was the intention of James Gunn all along or just a retrofit from some later creator will never be clear, but that's life in the industry of comic book properties. Everything you do can and will be undone by those who come after you.
    But Ego IS a Celestial. Just a much younger one than the others.

Well, the tall one wrapping up Thena at 2:18 certainly isn't a dinosaur.

And frankly, I'd honestly much rather them just be monsters if we're doing Deviants at all. The comic's original conceit of "pretty surface humanoids Good, ugly underground humanoids Evil!" did not age well.

In fact, make them be the various monsters and demons from myths and legends that the various mythological gods the Eternals were mistaken for were fighting. Basilisks, rakshasa, gorgons, the whole nine yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I... Completely forgot this even was a thing.

I guess it's just another MCU Phase 4 underwhelming movie to ignore...
    Homebrew Stuff:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    Spoiler
    Show
    I do kind of wonder if they’re going use the Deviants to populate the MCU Savage Land.
    Spoiler: Savage Thoughts
    Show
    I only vaguely recall the Savage Land, and I have to wonder if that concept would be as plausible these days. Wakanda hiding under a giant holodome is something I can roll with, but how would the Savage Land escape detection? Unless there are Savage Land wizards or whatnot?

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Knowhow
    Show
    Yup, familiar with Knowhere, especially given the reminder from What If yesterday.

Was it also a Celestial who was briefly shown using the Power Stone, in the little presentation that the Collector gave in the first Guardians movie? I remember six eyes, a big staff, purple lightning and lots of people being vaporized.

Originally Posted by Wintermoot
    I think the movie looks beautiful, but it wasn't what I was hoping for I guess.
    As someone with nearly zero exposure to the original comics, this just looks overwhelmingly generic to me.

At least for me, it might have worked better if it came much earlier in the MCU. But as it is, I just don’t see anything to care about. I’m much more interested in the Neolithic goat-herders than the people who are supposed to be protecting them.

From, apparently, the one threat that hasn’t shown up in the last seven thousand years?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Colossus in the Playground

Wow, this looks boring. Also the humour is incredibly cringey.

Why should I watch discount Cyclops fight the discount leftovers from Jurassic World again?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

11. - Top - End - #11

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-08-19 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Scrubbed

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler: Knowhow
    Show
    Yup, familiar with Knowhere, especially given the reminder from What If yesterday.

Was it also a Celestial who was briefly shown using the Power Stone, in the little presentation that the Collector gave in the first Guardians movie? I remember six eyes, a big staff, purple lightning and lots of people being vaporized.
    Yep!

(Per the wiki, that guy is Eson the Searcher.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    discount Cyclops
    His powerset is more Superman actually (FISS + laser eyes)

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    I don't have an issue with posting about the thing, but MAKING the thread about the thing is what amuses me. It would be like me making a Cruella thread
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-08-19 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Scrub the quote
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    I... wathced a trailer and then commented my opinion on it? Isn't that kind of what a forum is for?

I mean, it could just be a misleadingly cut trailer, wouldn't be the first.
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-08-19 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Scrub the quote
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

But Ego IS a Celestial. Just a much younger one than the others.

Well, the tall one wrapping up Thena at 2:18 certainly isn't a dinosaur.

And frankly, I'd honestly much rather them just be monsters if we're doing Deviants at all. The comic's original conceit of "pretty surface humanoids Good, ugly underground humanoids Evil!" did not age well.

In fact, make them be the various monsters and demons from myths and legends that the various mythological gods the Eternals were mistaken for were fighting. Basilisks, rakshasa, gorgons, the whole nine yards.

First, we ONLY have Ego's word that he is a celestial and he's as unreliable a source as there could possibly be. I'll assume he is one until some future marvel property says "nope not really" but I won't be shocked when that happens.

I'm pretty sure the tall thing wrapping up Thena will turn out to be the Eternal "bad guy" Druig in some "final form" and not a Deviant.

As for not aging well, I don't really see why. This isn't a skin color thing, it's not a surface racial allegory like elves/dark elves. But to each their own. I just really love Kirby's crazy Deviant designs.

Not a bad idea about the Basilisks, Rakshasa, Gorgon thing though. I like that.

15. - Top - End - #15

First, we ONLY have Ego's word that he is a celestial and he's as unreliable a source as there could possibly be. I'll assume he is one until some future marvel property says "nope not really" but I won't be shocked when that happens.
    Word of God is that he is one. They can always retcon it later of course but for now, I'll be going with the creator's direct quote.

I'm pretty sure the tall thing wrapping up Thena will turn out to be the Eternal "bad guy" Druig in some "final form" and not a Deviant.
    Certainly possible.

As for not aging well, I don't really see why. This isn't a skin color thing, it's not a surface racial allegory like elves/dark elves. But to each their own. I just really love Kirby's crazy Deviant designs.

Not a bad idea about the Basilisks, Rakshasa, Gorgon thing though. I like that.
    If the cosmic order reinforces "pretty = good, ugly = evil" that means it's not only possible but prudent to judge a being's morality based on their appearance. That many not exactly be judging by skin color, but it's not far off either. Given what the MCU did with the Skrulls in Captain Marvel, they seem to want to have a bit more nuance than that.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16

Word of God is that he is one. They can always retcon it later of course but for now, I'll be going with the creator's direct quote.
    I feel like I was sufficiently clear about saying that Gunn meant him to be a Celestial, but that I won't be surprised if some future creators retcons it. So you are disagreeing with me by agreeing with me.{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-08-19 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Scrubbed

17. - Top - End - #17

I feel like I was sufficiently clear about saying that Gunn meant him to be a Celestial, but that I won't be surprised if some future creators retcons it. So you are disagreeing with me by agreeing with me. {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Your exact words were "we only have Ego's word" and that is what I was disagreeing with. The author's statement matters too.
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-08-19 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Scrub the quote
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

It looks really nice, and the scope seems impressive. And I'm interested seeing what Chloe Zhao will do on the big screen.

I'll admit that the only trailer I genuinely liked from Marvel was Infinity War, but the movie's already on my to-watch list anyway.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Oh hey, an Eternals trailer that actually gives a decent idea of what the movie's about rather than being super vague about it. Wonder what took them so long with that?

Not much else to say about the trailer itself - I mean, I can't even remember the last time a trailer for any movie, no matter what I wound up feeling about it, didn't feel much the same as every other movie trailer to me. But Marvel's earned enough trust out of me that I'll give films about characters I've never heard from with them a shot. Nice to actually have a clearer idea of the premise here at last though.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

20. - Top - End - #20

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Oh hey, an Eternals trailer that actually gives a decent idea of what the movie's about rather than being super vague about it. Wonder what took them so long with that?
    Waiting until after Shang Chi had premiered, probably.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Savage Thoughts
    Show
    I only vaguely recall the Savage Land, and I have to wonder if that concept would be as plausible these days. Wakanda hiding under a giant holodome is something I can roll with, but how would the Savage Land escape detection? Unless there are Savage Land wizards or whatnot?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe...it was buried under the ice caps and it's revealed now that they're melted??? Wiki entry says one of its comics locations was Antarctica. Or maybe it'll get pulled in from an alternate Earth, or something. I agree it's going to be tricky if they ever do it.

At least for me, it might have worked better if it came much earlier in the MCU. But as it is, I just don’t see anything to care about. I’m much more interested in the Neolithic goat-herders than the people who are supposed to be protecting them.

From, apparently, the one threat that hasn’t shown up in the last seven thousand years?
    Honestly that's still my biggest hangup. I'll accept a lot of hand waves for why various heroes don't show up in each others' movies, but 'we chose not to help because it wasn't this one specific threat' doesn't fly if they still want me to call them heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    This. Honestly they could have skipped over that first trailer all together, saved the budget for something else.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Or maybe it'll get pulled in from an alternate Earth, or something.
    Some kind of multiverse approach might be feasible, although that would have its own complications. But a guest appearance in the next Dr. Strange could be a way to introduce it.

Honestly that's still my biggest hangup. I'll accept a lot of hand waves for why various heroes don't show up in each others' movies, but 'we chose not to help because it wasn't this one specific threat' doesn't fly if they still want me to call them heroes.
    Same here, exactly.

It also raises the sticky question of whether any of them were Snapped.

23. - Top - End - #23

Well, just because they know about the Snap doesn't mean the amnesia part of their origin isn't still around.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe...it was buried under the ice caps and it's revealed now that they're melted??? Wiki entry says one of its comics locations was Antarctica. Or maybe it'll get pulled in from an alternate Earth, or something. I agree it's going to be tricky if they ever do it.
    Eh, if they did Madripoor I don't think the Savage Land will be that big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Waiting until after Shang Chi had premiered, probably.
    Isn't that two weeks from now?

They're not heroes though. Or at least, becoming heroes is a likely arc here.

Yeah sure they're here to protect humanity, but more in a "deities protecting the primitives" sense, like what the Asgardians were originally doing. Not really caring about human suffering or strife beyond that highly specific sphere.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah sure they're here to protect humanity, but more in a "deities protecting the primitives" sense, like what the Asgardians were originally doing. Not really caring about human suffering or strife beyond that highly specific sphere.
    More than that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the comics, at least, they’re more like primordial eldritch androids rather than alien “gods” like the Asgardians. They were programmed to do certain things regardless of their will (eg. they’re forced to protect celestials).
    And that’s besides the amnesia plot in Gaiman’s run, which they might do or not here.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Can't wait for it.
    The only critic I have is that I would have liked to see the Black Knight in it. But I can wait two months more^^
    And as usual the explanation about why they never showed up will be more detailed in the movie.
    I prefer it this way than showing the highlights as other movies do.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

It also raises the sticky question of whether any of them were Snapped.
    Will probably be answered with "they're too powerful to be snapped"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Just on the "Where were the Eternal in Infinity War" question. I feel it would be better if they just leant on the fact that Infinity War takes place over less than 24 hours and by the time they realised what was going on, they had no idea where the Avengers had taken Vision.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Just on the "Where were the Eternal in Infinity War" question. I feel it would be better if they just leant on the fact that Infinity War takes place over less than 24 hours and by the time they realised what was going on, they had no idea where the Avengers had taken Vision.
    The earth's also a large place, so unless one of the Eternal's is omniscient, they're going to have to find out things the way the rest of us do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by M1982
    Will probably be answered with "they're too powerful to be snapped"
    Is there any evidence that an individual can be too powerful to be Snapped?

Wanda is arguably the most powerful of the Avengers, and probably second only to Captain Marvel in the MCU, and she was dusted like all the others.

Originally Posted by Wookieetank
    The earth's also a large place, so unless one of the Eternal's is omniscient, they're going to have to find out things the way the rest of us do.
    It’s a good point, but it also raises the question of why these super-duper cosmic protectors of Earth have to watch the evening news before they’re aware of a threat.

I’m guessing they have some sort of Spidey-sense where deviants are concerned, but if so then we need to know why it apparently can’t pick up Power Stones.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    If only Ikaris hadn't lost the Eternals access to the Avengers group text chain by posting all those racist memes.