New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Types of Players

I figured, since we've relatively recently had a thread on types of DM's, why not have a corresponding thread for players? Here's a couple to start with...

The Avatarist: All of their characters are essentially them with different abilities and backgrounds. Since there's not really much difference between the player and the character, they certainly don't have much difficulty getting into character. However, you won't often see a great depth of character interaction, as the player isn't as personaly invested as their character.

The Explorer: Many of an Explorer's characters bear some resemblance to the player, but with some significant (but usually easily-described) difference. This is often the result of the player saying "What would I be like if...?" These players' characters often demonstrate highly variable depths in their personality - the closer they get to the player, the richer their interactions often become.

The Mathematician: This type of player often treats tabletop games as they would a computer game - or a math problem. They expect everyone to do whatever is mathematically optimal, and are confused and sometimes irritated when they don't. The alignment system frequently mystifies them, because as far as they're concerned, their character's alignment is whatever they've written on their character sheet. WARNING: The Mathematician is generally also a mass-murderer of catgirls.
    "I wonder how he's doing?"
    <shout from other room>"QUICK DRAW, WHIRLWIND ATTACK!"
    "Apparently not so well..."
    -From an actual game session

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Types of Players

Quote Originally Posted by Leicontis View Post
    The Mathematician: This type of player often treats tabletop games as they would a computer game - or a math problem. They expect everyone to do whatever is mathematically optimal, and are confused and sometimes irritated when they don't. The alignment system frequently mystifies them, because as far as they're concerned, their character's alignment is whatever they've written on their character sheet. WARNING: The Mathematician is generally also a mass-murderer of catgirls.
    Hey, I'm a Mathematics major, and I don't respect the implied correlation between mathematics and "rollplayers". Just call it "The Powergamer" or something

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The Eccentric: No matter the game or campaign, the Eccentric has to come up with the most ridiculous idea around. He'll probably start out as a half-drow rogue/monk with a dragonmark (in Forgotten Realms) who, when not adventuring, runs a merchant guild. And has a Russian accent. For no reason. And then the next week he decides that he has to play an insane wizard with a 3 Wisdom who constantly makes sounds. For the entire three hour session. And none of this has to do with role-playing or mechanics or anything - he (apparently) just physically can't bring himself to play a standard race or class.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

4. - Top - End - #4

The Destroyer: This player is always defecating in the corner, peeing on the NPCs, mutilating dead bodies, burning random buildings, and trying to ruin your plot. When higher authorities come to stop the player in game, he always cries "Railroading!"

5. - Top - End - #5

The I-Wish-I-Could-Optimizer - Someone who finds a power/class/race/spell combination (usually on the internet) that they think is godly and design their character entirely around it (often executing it poorly), and show up to the game expecting to own everything with their amazing combo. They may pull it off once because the DM wants to spotlight them, then they realize their character is completely unsuited for normal adventuring, and is actually quite underpowered compared to the rest of the group. Then they sit out the rest of the session pouting while everyone else does the fun stuff.

The Anti-Powergamer / Rules-Lawyer (me ) : The player who looks over everyone else's character sheets and points out stuff that doesn't work (You have two deflection bonuses to AC, those don't stack!). He/she has an an annoying tendency to point out how the rules prohibit a really cool attack that someone else is about to try, or to pull up the Errata on a spell that the DM was running under the original rules and complain that the spell is too overpowered without the change. Frequent target of DM fiat. Not necessarily a bad role-player, but when combat starts, they're flipping pages on every turn.

The Fanboy - Someone who always designs their character to resemble a fictional character from another source, often an anime or video game. No matter what the campaign setting, they will insist on having a Japanese-sounding name and spikey hair. A subset of this archetype is the "Always plays a Drow with two scimitars" club.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2007-11-14 at 11:55 PM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Timmy, Johnny,...oh wait, you wanted D&D player types...?

Too Many Suppliments to Count - There are those that don't know anything beyond the Player's Handbook. Then, there are others that search every last issue of Dragon Magazine from Issue 1 for anything that could optimize their character to the fullest. If the DM is lucky, he will only have to contend with 24 different suppliments, 10 of which he has never heard of and 7 of which he cannot pronounce. Goes hand in hand with the optimizer and the min-maxer.

7. - Top - End - #7

I dunno, I think Timmy, Johnny and Spike are viable for this thread.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I'm the Best"- This player "is" the best in every situation. He constantly tells everyone about how great and wonderful his character is and will berate all the other characters with such lines as "You try to shoot him, but you are an elf." Is rarely actually any good in any situation, and will sulk when he realises this, retelling stories of a combination that they played this one time (see "The I-Wish-I-Could Optimizer"). As soon as they do something right again, the arrogance will resume, until somebody gets annoyed (be it another player or the DM) and the character ultimately dies.
    ---Spider Dave

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Munchkin"

If there's no answer that involves how he can be uber powerful the question wasn't worth asking. All the magic items belong to him so he can be so powerful he feels like a god... so he tries to kill one and complains when he gets his ass handed to him.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grynning View Post
    The Anti-Powergamer / Rules-Lawyer (me ) : The player who looks over everyone else's character sheets and points out stuff that doesn't work (You have two deflection bonuses to AC, those don't stack!).
    Guilty as charged...

Of course, for some reason, people in our university gaming group have a tendency to cheat (which, in a game like D&D, doesn't make any sense at all to me, but they still seem to do it). So I tend to look at sheets.

And I had another one, but by the time this page loaded, I forgot it...
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

11. - Top - End - #11

The Girlfriend: This player doesn't really enjoy roleplaying, their nerdy (but sexy!) boyfriend dragged them to a session and they've returned ever since as to not upset him. They never learn the rules, their boyfriend levels up and creates their character for them, and on every one of their turns they ask "What should I do?" and "Which one of these do I roll again?" even after playing for two years.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

The Hypothetical Duelist

This player is constantly telling the others how his character could best them each in a duel, usually by usage of spells as these are most often arcane casters of the wizard variety (at least in my experience). Unfortunately, as your character is good and you actually play him as such, you won't simply stand aside and let the enemy get melee with them, or do worse such as grappling them while an enemy proceeds to full attack them, but the temptation will always be there.

13. - Top - End - #13

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    The Girlfriend: This player doesn't really enjoy roleplaying, their nerdy (but sexy!) boyfriend dragged them to a session and they've returned ever since as to not upset him. They never learn the rules, their boyfriend levels up and creates their character for them, and on every one of their turns they ask "What should I do?" and "Which one of these do I roll again?" even after playing for two years.
    I don't understand how this person could even exist. Either she's really dependent, or he's really sexy; I couldn't drag my girlfriend within 100ft of a D&D game if I led a trail of chocolates and flowers to it

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

That's me in the corner

Striving to play as the ultimate badass, this player spends no less than half of the gaming session doing "cool stuff" in-character. There's a fair chance that he won't sit in the tavern with the rest of his group, prefering to brood, alone in the corner, with his hood up.

That's me in the spotlight

Striving to be the ultimate hero at every turn, this player cannot accept their characters ever being less-than-heroic. It may not even be rightly considered "heroic", except for in their eyes. If they fail, lose, or come short of a prestigious outcome, they think something is wrong with the game, and complain about how they aren't being allowed to be heroish enough.

Losing my religion

This player will play clerics, and not once, ever mention how their deity is important to them, why they worship them over other gods, and will seldom even acknowledge they are somehow involved with religion, despite having a deity clearly listed on their character sheet, and having the relationship clerics are required to have with their respective gods.

The Distracted

When not particularly engaged in what's happening, or waiting for their combat turn, they find it absolutely necessary to pick up a guitar or other item and proceed to get lost in it. They become reluctant to ever return to the game, until something directly motivates them to do so.

Example:

DM: Bill, stop playing the guitar. We're trying to play D&D.
    Bill: C'mon, like I'm a distraction!
    DM: Whatever. You're up next, ya know.
    Bill: ...
    DM: Hey, if you're gonna keep playing, play something good, like Freebird.
    Bill: Dude, Freebird sucks.
    DM: Oh. Hey, roll this d20.
    Bill: Uh...sure. Why?
    DM: It's a reflex save.
    Bill: For?
    DM: My fist.

The Flat-Footed

This player can't think on their toes. They don't know what to do, what to say, or how to say it. If you have a NPC ask them a question, they stare blankly, stutter a bit, maybe even drool.

Example:

Guard: Halt! What is your business in our town?
    PC: I...erhm...uh...I'm an elf!
    Guard: What? Uh, alright. Very good. And...why are you here?
    PC: I'm an adventurer!
    Guard: Okay.
    PC: ...
    Guard: Are you saying that you've been travelling a long time and wish to stay at an inn here, tonight?
    PC: Why, yes! Of course!
    Guard: Of course.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-11-15 at 01:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by brian c View Post
    I don't understand how this person could even exist. Either she's really dependent, or he's really sexy; I couldn't drag my girlfriend within 100ft of a D&D game if I led a trail of chocolates and flowers to it
    My ex girlfriend was like that and yes, why thank you, I am really sexy.

She said she liked it, but apparently didn't like it enough to ever learn the rules, even simple ones like how to attack ("Roll the d20 and add your attack bonus, Liz. That's that number right there on your character sheet. Good job, maybe next week you can do it without guidance.").
    Last edited by Jack Zander; 2007-11-15 at 01:19 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Tactician Frequently also a min/maxer and/or munchkin this guy can kill you're Illithid with a 3rd level monk and make it look easy. You try to challenge him on the rules behind what he's doing, but they're sound. It's hard to even acuse him of abusing or bending the rules overly much, he just knows all the tricks.

The "This Class/Race/Feat/Skill Dosen't Suck Here's the player that will bring a bard/monk/samurai/whatever to the table and make you reconsider your thoughts that this class is underpowered. May also use seemingly underpowered feats/skills/spells in ways that make them effective. If combined with munchkin and allowed to DM, you may find yourself facing an ecounter similar to Tuckers Kobolds.

Can roleplay any concept convincingly This guy will come to the table with a paladin, a sleezeball mercenary, an eccentric wizard, a pacifist monk, a conman rogue, a gunslinger with a chip on his shoulder, and a shady smugler that just looks out for himself. He'll roleplay every single concept distinctly differently and extremely well. You will weep in awe at his sheer versatility and skill.

The anti tactitican Will build a character (typically a rogue) that is totally unoptimised for combat. When combat starts will totally disregard any concerns for life and limb and just do whatever he/she feels like. Does not generally meta game at all in combat, and instead will act as if the incapacitated person to be rescued will die if not tended to NOW! Despite the fact that the party is about to start a clearly nasty combat. Will proceed to do just that, leaving the party to it's fate. May also be Girlfriend.

The Cumpolsive Munchkin This player can't help but Munchkinize his characters. Literally every concept he comes up with is broken, whether or not he did it on purpose. Tends to overshadow party horribly, even if playing the fighter and is in a party with a druid. For the love of god, don't let him play the druid. May also be Tactician.
    Last edited by shadowdemon_lord; 2007-11-15 at 01:22 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Evil Twin

This person will make a character. He will play him and generally enjoy the time spent role playing. He only becomes apparent when his character dies and is unable to be resurrected. At this point in time a mysterious stranger will join the party. A stranger who is almost the exact duplicate of the old character, except maybe has his name spelled backwards or with a letter changed. This will happen numerous times, depending on how hazardous the campaign is.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander
    I dunno, I think Timmy, Johnny and Spike are viable for this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander
    My ex girlfriend was like that and yes, why thank you, I am really sexy.
    It's like you're some kind of clone version of me, you even have half of my name.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

19. - Top - End - #19

Lol, my name's not even Jack. That's just a dashing, swashbuckling rogue I created once.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The similar...

Boyfriend/Husband: This player doesn't really enjoy roleplaying, their nerdy (but domineering!) girlfriend/wife dragged them to a session and they've returned ever since as to not upset her. They never learn the rules, their significant other levels up and creates their character for them, and on every one of their turns they can't say anything before their significant other speaks for them. For two years you'll see him in the men's room begging the DM to kill him off. The DM won't do it because he doesn't want to upset and possibly lose the significant other who, despite using her boyfriend/husband (and his PC) like a hireling, is a really great player and well-liked by the rest of the table (and because, truth be told, watching the husband/boyfriend sit, fetch, roll over and stuff is rather entertaining).
    Proud Supporter of Cleric Rights

21. - Top - End - #21

Deepblue706 = Win.

The Lonely Loner Lone Wolf who's Alone - This player always insists on going off on their own, despite the fact that this frequently leads to character death and absolute boredom for everyone else while the DM has to run them through their solo adventure of "scouting ahead." Refuses to acknowledge the age-old truism that D&D parties should never Scooby.* Also tends to play silent tough guys, see That's Me in The Corner.

*Scooby (Verb): To split up in a way that makes no sense tactically. As in "Me and the girls will go this way, Scooby and Shaggy will check out that way..."
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

The Mope
    She's a sucker for characters that are "Different," but she's not familiar enough with game mechanics to make it work. She'll play a 19 Dex, 26 Charisma Rogue with 4 Level Adjustment and be happy as can be until the rest of the Party reaches level 3 or 4 and she's still dinking around with her 6 hit points and her 3.5 Sneak Attack damage (which she can't actually get due to survival issues). So as a campaign progresses, she becomes more and more detached from her character and from the game. This happens with every character every time. Often it can progress into The Bitter Nay-Sayer

The Bitter Nay-Sayer
    Most of the group comes to be sociable and to have fun. This player doesn't. She comes out of routine and hates every minute of it. She constantly announces her boredom and frustration vocally. If the DM introduces a monster, she'll blurt out its name, its abilities and its weaknesses within seconds (ironic because despite never DMing, she's far less familiar with the Player's Handbook than the MM). Any homebrew creatures will meet whines and complaints. When a DM caters an adventure to try to bring her back into the action, she'll complain that the solution was "unrealistic" and "contrived."

The Nosy Bugger
    This player can't be perturbed by such concepts as secrecy or privacy. He'll skim a player's backstory, he'll skim a player's character sheet, he'll skim the DM's stat blocks and he'll announce whatever he sees. There's no point in introducing elements of shadiness or intrigue to a campaign with him; a quick look through the DM's notes will solve the troubles. DMs don't appreciate his behaviour, other players don't appreciate his behaviour. He's may be ahoopy frood outside the game, but when he plays, he stretches tolerance to its very limits.

...But beside those two, Deepblue hit my group pretty accurately. Unfortunately, the DM falls into the "Distracted" category. Including the guitar. But he refuses to play anything that is not the base chord changes to "Wish You Were Here."

23. - Top - End - #23

Lol, my name's not even Jack. That's just a dashing, swashbuckling rogue I created once.
    Mine neither. Zander, however, is.
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrTenko View Post
    TimeWizard, you've got to do something about all that Clarity you've got. It starts by just ruining jokes, but soon you'll be dreaming of electric sheep and stuff. It can't be good for you.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

The Lurker

This guy comes never misses a session, never complains, and if asked, will say that he enjoys the game, but doesn't seem to be very involved in the game. Occasionally, he will do something creative and out there, and everyone will be utterly amazed at his awesomeness, and then he will go back to barely being there, filling that 4th slot.

I had one of these in my last game. Played a dwarf fighter. His moments of awesome included killing an evil treant by lighting a barrel of high-proof alcohol, and pulling a spare suit of armor out of his bag of holding after his suit was destroyed by a Bebilith.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

25. - Top - End - #25

The Mother/Wife: Not really a player, but lurks around and chats enough with the players to almost be considered one. As she provides plenty of snacks and drinks, she is a welcomed and desired member of the team (arguably the most important).

Weird, I though Zander was purely a roleplayer's name. It's in my book of random cliche RPG names. Is it your first or last name?

26. - Top - End - #26

The Girlfriend (Corollary): This player understands the rules. She knows how to play, enjoys the game, and could just as easily be another player. Thing is, she's dating the DM. This could be a completely irrelevant , or could lead to blatant and annoying favoritism depending on the kind of DM you're under.

I've got this in my game. I like to think I'm fair about being even, but we shall have to see.
    Last edited by Behold_the_Void; 2007-11-15 at 03:14 AM.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VerdugoExplode View Post
    The Evil Twin
    <snip>
    I think that's a proper punishment for a DM who lets his players die for trivial reasons.

I'm a roleplayer!
    This guy confuses good roleplaying with having a crappy build. He will purposely create a character that will be useless in the campaign (usually a non-combatant for a game with lots of battles), and openly look down on those who have better optimized characters than him. Will whine like crazy that the DM caters only to munchkins when his character proves to be useless over and over again. Sometimes becomes That's me in the corner, because he shuns the company of the rest of the party.
    If you think this player is bad, consider yourself lucky that you haven't met a DM that has the same beliefs as him.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I think that's a proper punishment for a DM who lets his players die for trivial reasons.
    Trivial reasons like a bad die roll? It is somewhat necessary for a bad die roll to be able to kill the character, otherwise it removes alot of the excitement.

Or do you mean trivial reasons like 'rocks fall and you die'?
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Class Turtle
    The first time they played D&D, someone stuck them with a fighter to simplify the process as much as possible, and now they won't play anything else NO MATTER WHAT. You could offer them Greater Deity Divine Rank in your 1st level campaign if they would just please play a rogue or a cleric or anything but a fighter, and they'd cower in the corner, unable to conceive of such a thing.

----

I've had three people like this. The first I had to fight tooth and nail for MONTHS before they agreed to take a single level in a different class (the class features of which they then refused to use). The second, I was able to convince to play a cleric, but 90% of the time he refused to use any of his spells, even if it were thematically appropriate and/or advantageous to the party as a whole. The third...I've given up on. After YEARS, I am unable to convince them to play something besides a fighter.

This is why I now start all new recruits on Dread Necromancer

It wouldn't even be much of a problem accept for the fact that they put no effort into making the fighter capable of contributing past the very early levels, or even put any sort of variation or spin on their feat selection. It's almost always "Weapon Focus: Some kind of Sword", "Power Attack" (which they never use), "Cleave", "Improved -something-" (which they never use), "Weapon Specialization: Some kind of Sword", Great Cleave, etc.

No Shock Trooper, or Robilar's Gambit, or Leap Attack...no tripper builds...nothing

I got the "I just took 2d6 SAN damage" look after showing them Tome of Battle, and explaining that Warblades were fighters, except useful and more fun to play.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Trivial reasons like a bad die roll? It is somewhat necessary for a bad die roll to be able to kill the character, otherwise it removes alot of the excitement.

Or do you mean trivial reasons like 'rocks fall and you die'?
    I firmly believe that there are only five ways a PC should permanently die:
    1. The player leaves the game, and lets the DM do whatever he wants with the character.
    2. The PCs have done something really stupid - fart into the king's face, attack the dragon they know they have no chance of winning against, set a city to fire.
    3. Plot reasons, making the player content with the story even that the character is dead - holding off an overpowered opponent, giving your allies enough time to run away? Rarely anyone would mind his character dying that way.
    4. You're running a horror campaign, or a one-shot.
    5. The player is an ass and you want to punish him.

If none of those conditions are met, you're just being mean to the player who spent lots of time making and polishing a character, getting attached to it, and now losing it to an unlucky die roll.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat