New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home - Official Teaser Trailer, just released from Sony Pictur

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Has Marvel done so many deceptive trailers that we are just completely discounting that this might be accurate? Strange works a spell that is dangerous but within his abilities, except Peter disrupts it by throwing in a bunch of extra complications and the result is bad?
    No, that's exactly what I think is happening.

I just think that

a> the character growth of Strange through the movies so far should've precluded him agreeing to cast the spell,
    b> he should've explained what he needed from Peter before he started casting
    c> its cheap that he then apparently blames Peter after it goes awry.

However, it may play differently in the actual movie. I'm basing my objections completely on a cut up trailer. I have enough faith in Marvel to do better in the actual movie.

And even if it DOES play out exactly that way, I can accept that the writer of THIS movie writes Strange more in line with his early characterization from Strange 1.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home - Official Teaser Trailer, just released from Sony Pictur

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Spoiler: One More Day
    Show
    Actually, OMD was about Peter trying to bring Aunt May back to life. Granted, her death was a direct result of his identity becoming public, but Peter going back into hiding was a side-effect of the spell rather than his reason for seeking it out like it is here.

And notably, in that comic, Dr. Strange turned him down saying that what he was after was too dangerous to attempt. Similarly, Reed Richards couldn't save her either. He ended up knowingly taking help from Mephisto there, as opposed to whatever hoodwink might be happening here. That might make all the difference - the fact that Peter really shouldn't be the person trusting Mephisto of all people was a big reason people hated OMD.

Another reason audiences and critics hated OMD was the Doylist reason for its existence - the writers being sick of writing around Peter's marriage to MJ, Stan Lee and the fans who liked it be damned. Another cost of the spell was that Mephisto ate Peter and MJ's marriage, leaving him single and swinging free (literally in some cases.) I never had a dog in that particular race but for those who were invested it was something of a betrayal. As they aren't married in the MCU, that won't be an issue here.
    Show
    Wasn't she just on life support from a bullet wound, not dead? Something plenty of people Spiderman has contact with in-universe should be able to fix in moments, without accepting a deal from someone whose name basically means "Destroyer and Liar"?

Having her be ouright dead so that Peter would HAVE to get Supernatural help sounds less dumb.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Show
    Wasn't she just on life support from a bullet wound, not dead? Something plenty of people Spiderman has contact with in-universe should be able to fix in moments, without accepting a deal from someone whose name basically means "Destroyer and Liar"?

Having her be ouright dead so that Peter would HAVE to get Supernatural help sounds less dumb.
    Magical healing can be finicky, look at what happened in the universe where they soled Mar-Vell's cancer after all.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Spamalot in the Playground

Show

It was shorthand; yes, not actually dead. (Which of course made Mephisto being The Only Entity Who Could Possibly Help feel even dumber.)

Has Marvel done so many deceptive trailers that we are just completely discounting that this might be accurate? Strange works a spell that is dangerous but within his abilities, except Peter disrupts it by throwing in a bunch of extra complications and the result is bad?
    I'm not *completely* discounting anything, I just know which scenario I'd personally prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    And even if it DOES play out exactly that way, I can accept that the writer of THIS movie writes Strange more in line with his early characterization from Strange 1.
    Yeah - I wouldn't be overly happy about it but I'd accept it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

annoyed Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home - Official Teaser Trailer, just released from Sony Pictur

Has Marvel done so many deceptive trailers that we are just completely discounting that this might be accurate?
    I’m not discounting it, but until we know which bits are the fabrications we have to work with the information we’re given. If we assume everything is false, there’s nothing to analyze, and that’s no fun.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It was shorthand; yes, not actually dead. (Which of course made Mephisto being The Only Entity Who Could Possibly Help feel even dumber.)
    Yeah. There's no reason that a lot of the peiole he contacted about helping her would not have been able to help with a mundane gunshot wound. That was my only point, and I'm glad I have not been misinformed about how completely dumb One More Day is on every level.

7. - Top - End - #97

Yeah. There's no reason that a lot of the peiole he contacted about helping her would not have been able to help with a mundane gunshot wound. That was my only point, and I'm glad I have not been misinformed about how completely dumb One More Day is on every level.
    Yep - they started from where they wanted to end up (Single Peter with intact Secret Identity) and worked backwards, rather than figuring out what circumstance would organically drive Peter Parker to make a literal deal with the devil. They also didn't stop to consider what made that endpoint itself particularly compelling or desirable, save for being easier on the largely single straight male writing team to write what they know, and for the artists to have fun drawing Peter banging Black Cat on a rooftop or whatever.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't watched the last few Spiderman movies... in fact nothing since the Spiderman 3 with Venom and Sandman and _____ (don't remember the other villain, but it was crowded).

This, I'm kind of interested in. Otto Octavius was a very good character.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I haven't watched the last few Spiderman movies... in fact nothing since the Spiderman 3 with Venom and Sandman and _____ (don't remember the other villain, but it was crowded).
    Harry Osbourne/New Goblin IIRC.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    The universe literally sent Peter Parker’s best friend to try to stop the wedding, and lose the wedding ring for the best friend wanted to be in Peter’s life and MJ’s life. Also something with Peter killing the best friend’s father and him getting high on his dad’s drug stash.

Then the alien goo man stabs the best friend who only wanted a throuple for he, the alien goo man is the only one allowed to be Peter’s jealous ex.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Skrulls and What If in the Spider-Man

Spoiler: What If Episode 4 Spoilers
    Show

Is anyone uncertain if Strange would be that reckless in Peter Parker's reality, anymore? After seeing What If?

Or do we have a The Last Jedi situation involving would or would not Luke do what he did in ROTJ?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The teaser trailer disappointed me... Not because of anything in it or my expectations of the movie... I saw the trailer released, remembered how much I have been enjoying the recent spiderman movies, and then was told it wouldn't be out anytime soon. That's just being a tease.
    Sparxs Plays: My friend's Youtube gaming channel where you can watch us.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbj...9MQHA/featured

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post

Show

Is anyone uncertain if Strange would be that reckless in Peter Parker's reality, anymore? After seeing What If?

Or do we have a The Last Jedi situation involving would or would not Luke do what he did in ROTJ?
    Spoiler
    Show
    What If!Strange hasn’t gone through the same character arch as Live Action!Strange though.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    The teaser trailer disappointed me... Not because of anything in it or my expectations of the movie... I saw the trailer released, remembered how much I have been enjoying the recent spiderman movies, and then was told it wouldn't be out anytime soon. That's just being a tease.
    I mean... thats why they call it a teaser.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMech View Post
    Spoiler: My reaction too
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post

Show

You mean, do I think a completely different Strange from the regular MCU one would behave somewhat oddly? Of course I'd agree with that, and that is in fact one of the theories in this very thread. Variants gonna variant and all that.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy