New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Aurora

1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aurora

See, this sort of thing is why army uniforms usually include more protection than a simple poncho.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

So what's with Falst?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    So what's with Falst?
    Grumpy cat.

More seriously he might blame Dainix for Kendal's "death" or be worried about Dainix killing everyone around him.

Or maybe it's something yet to be revealed.
    Forum Wisdom

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Grumpy cat.

More seriously he might blame Dainix for Kendal's "death" or be worried about Dainix killing everyone around him.

Or maybe it's something yet to be revealed.
    Could also be about Dainix fighting in the arena against Ferin.

Also new page spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show

It looks like Erin might not have always been the elemental magus and the monks opened some of his elemental pathways. At least thats how I read this page + Tess's reaction to Erin being the elemental mage when he was young.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silva Stormrage View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

It looks like Erin might not have always been the elemental magus and the monks opened some of his elemental pathways. At least thats how I read this page + Tess's reaction to Erin being the elemental mage when he was young.
    I mean, if they can do that, why don't they do that, like, more often?

On an unrelated note, do we know who Al is? I don't seem to recall the name.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-10-26 at 05:59 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I mean, if they can do that, why don't they do that, like, more often?
    That they (may have) managed to do it once doesn't mean it was easy, cheap or replicable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We were told there's only ever one elemental magus at a time, maybe they can make them appear early, but that means it'll take even longer for another one to show up?

On an unrelated note, do we know who Al is? I don't seem to recall the name.
    Rings no bell. Clearly another relative or more likely a friend. I am guessing a member of the Academy since they knew about Erin going into the storm.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #157

That they (may have) managed to do it once doesn't mean it was easy, cheap or replicable.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We were told there's only ever one elemental magus at a time, maybe they can make them appear early, but that means it'll take even longer for another one to show up?
    Hm. Fair enough.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Also the procedure could be dangerous and they might only be able to open a limited number of elemental paths. Lets say Erin had all but water they might have been able to open water for him but it had like a 20% chance of destroying his ability to use magic.

Sure those are estimates that I made up but it could be a reason why they don't do it frequently and the monks don't seem like they are well known enough for a bunch of power hungry people to try it. Erin might have been arrogant and proud enough to do it to make a name for himself.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Also the procedure could be dangerous and they might only be able to open a limited number of elemental paths. Lets say Erin had all but water they might have been able to open water for him but it had like a 20% chance of destroying his ability to use magic.

Sure those are estimates that I made up but it could be a reason why they don't do it frequently and the monks don't seem like they are well known enough for a bunch of power hungry people to try it.
    I think that, with the exception of the Avatar Elemental Magus, a mage may only control one element?
    Erin might have been arrogant and proud enough to do it to make a name for himself.
    I'm guessing that whatever the soulmonks did to/with Erin wasn't Erin's choice as much as his father's.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

I think that, with the exception of the Avatar Elemental Magus, a mage may only control one element?

I'm guessing that whatever the soulmonks did to/with Erin wasn't Erin's choice as much as his father's.
    Nope, Humans can have multiple elements. It is said in this lore doc. "Humans produce the most powerful, versatile mages, and it is not uncommon for a human mage to have mastery over more than a single element – though only “unadapted” humans have ever been documented as possessing power over more than three."

And yes it might have been an experiment by his father as well. Could have been ordered by Asera as well considering his father is an emissary.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

I get the feeling Tess the Godpuncher is staying in this group whether Erin wants it or not.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

I get the feeling Tess the Godpuncher is staying in this group whether Erin wants it or not.
    She is, after all, also on the “protagonists” list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, I get Erin. If I had a bomb strapped to my chest I also would want my beloved sister to not be anywhere near the blast radius.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

"So, if I didn't step in, Tynan would have killed you all...and that would be...fine?"
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2022-11-11 at 03:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"So, if I didn't step in, Tynan would have killed you all...and that would be...fine?"
    I mean, he's right that Dainix went beast-mode in the arena for no clear reason. Win or lose, he was to be set free, and yet he fought to kill.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #166

Huh? Tess, Erin and Kendal were handling RapidRegeneration!Tynan just fine, and LightningDragon!Tynan swatted Dainix away with ease in his penultimate round. It was the Void Dragon who shut him down hard.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

I stand corrected. They needed his demon but not there.

18. - Top - End - #168

I mean, he's right that Dainix went beast-mode in the arena for no clear reason. Win or lose, he was to be set free, and yet he fought to kill.
    He had been led to believe, by both a fake guard and the arena master, that he needed to fight "for real this time", with the threat of not being freed after all if he didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    He had been led to believe, by both a fake guard and the arena master, that he needed to fight "for real this time", with the threat of not being freed after all if he didn't.
    Problem with that is all he had to do to pleas the Arenamaster was to put up a good fight (who told him upfront that if he lost it wouldn't be a problem). But the very page you link has the Arenamaster state he believes Dainix has no magic power and the announcer says no one ever saw Dainix's demon form in the arena.

Therefore all he had to do was fight well and let Kendal's superior strength and durability beat him, but he unleashed the demon. He was fighting way harder than he needed to.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Problem with that is all he had to do to pleas the Arenamaster was to put up a good fight (who told him upfront that if he lost it wouldn't be a problem). But the very page you link has the Arenamaster state he believes Dainix has no magic power and the announcer says no one ever saw Dainix's demon form in the arena.

Therefore all he had to do was fight well and let Kendal's superior strength and durability beat him, but he unleashed the demon. He was fighting way harder than he needed to.
    Even fighting as hard as he did, he was not any danger to Kendal. What makes you think he could have put up a good fight, as required, while holding back?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    Even fighting as hard as he did, he was not any danger to Kendal. What makes you think he could have put up a good fight, as required, while holding back?
    Because Kendal wouldn't try to kill him?

Edit: Like all he had to do was attack with his spear a few times, parry Kendal sword's a few times and once Kendal got a couple good punches in, just lay down and not stand up. The Arenamaster would have had what he wanted and that would have been that* Instead he called upon the fires of hell.

*As far as he knew, of course, Tynan renders the whole thing moot.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-11-12 at 03:56 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Because Kendal wouldn't try to kill him?

Edit: Like all he had to do was attack with his spear a few times, parry Kendal sword's a few times and once Kendal got a couple good punches in, just lay down and not stand up. The Arenamaster would have had what he wanted and that would have been that* Instead he called upon the fires of hell.

*As far as he knew, of course, Tynan renders the whole thing moot.
    I'm clearly not understanding what you're suggesting. He did attack with his spear a few times, and did not receive sword strikes to parry or punches to go down to.

It sounds to me like you're saying he should have gone in less aggressively, but I don't see how that would make Kendal more likely to counterattack.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

I'm clearly not understanding what you're suggesting. He did attack with his spear a few times, and did not receive sword strikes to parry or punches to go down to.

It sounds to me like you're saying he should have gone in less aggressively, but I don't see how that would make Kendal more likely to counterattack.
    He's glowing and spouting fire. I'm saying he shouldn't have done that.

Edit: Seriously compare
    Dainix's
    first fight where except for sneakily damaging his opponent's weapon, he fights like a normal human being with his second fight where he morphs into a demon.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-11-12 at 06:05 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

He's glowing and spouting fire. I'm saying he shouldn't have done that.

Edit: Seriously compare
    Dainix's
    first fight where except for sneakily damaging his opponent's weapon, he fights like a normal human being with his second fight where he morphs into a demon.
    That wasn't deliberate. That's not a choice he made; he doesn't know how to control it at that point.

Recall Tahraim teaching him "controlling your inner demons 101" in the next chapter.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

That wasn't deliberate. That's not a choice he made; he doesn't know how to control it at that point.
    Except that we've seen him use it without issue and he's never lost control at any time in ll the time he's been in this prison before.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #176

The way I see it, he was real desperate to get out and as such, didn't bother to control it all that carefully; however, once the demon actually broke through and his hand went up in flames, he imploded immediately and began moping until Tahraim scraped him off the floor.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    The way I see it, he was real desperate to get out and as such, didn't bother to control it all that carefully; however, once the demon actually broke through and his hand went up in flames, he imploded immediately and began moping until Tahraim scraped him off the floor.
    I think you're all missing his motivation as he expressed it himself in this strip.

He didn't go into that fight hoping he'd get freed; he went into that fight thinking that he was finally facing an opponent who could potentially kill a Demon. And he wanted to push that opponent to do exactly that. But once the fire started getting more control than he wanted, he wasn't sure where to go with it. I'm pretty sure his ideal scenario was 'push Kendal just hard enough to make him fight seriously, but without going full Demon.'

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Whelp, not sure if this will get through Kendal's thick metal reinforced skull but it would be nice.

And I am 99% sure that is the boy who first got the chimeric plague in Vash. Surprised he is here honestly, so it seems that these aren't just the souls trapped in the city but everyone who has ever lived in Vash?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Bugbear in the Playground

Whelp, not sure if this will get through Kendal's thick metal reinforced skull but it would be nice.

And I am 99% sure that is the boy who first got the chimeric plague in Vash. Surprised he is here honestly, so it seems that these aren't just the souls trapped in the city but everyone who has ever lived in Vash?
    While it's possible that that's the kid who first got the chimeric plague, I think it's more likely the kid third from the right in the second panel here.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    While it's possible that that's the kid who first got the chimeric plague, I think it's more likely the kid third from the right in the second panel here.
    Ah you are right that probably makes more sense.