New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Darths & Droids VI: Thread title will appear here when received

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I'd say that lightsabers don't require having Force powers to wield them, but they do require them to become pertinent weapons when everybody else has blasters. So yeah, sure, Jedi can deflect blaster shots with their lightsabers. And that, I think, is both what requires having combat precognition and what makes lightsabers actually useful. Without this capacity, the Jedi knights would be better off with blasters.
    This is the explanation that makes the most sense, I think, with what we see in the films (original, prequel, and sequel). Swinging something and keeping it away from one's own body is well within the bounds of normal human capability, but without the Force, you won't be able to do the specific things the Jedi do with a lightsaber and will be stuck holding a glowing melee-only weapon in a setting replete with ranged weapons. One could argue for the usefulness of lightsabers in utility contexts for common soldiers, but at that point, it becomes a question of utility versus cost and availability.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    One could argue for the usefulness of lightsabers in utility contexts for common soldiers, but at that point, it becomes a question of utility versus cost and availability.
    Lightsabers are a pretty silly weapon if you are not an excellent martial artist, but they do make the best protection against almost everything.
    Lightshields should be a thing.
    Lightnunchaku, instead, are a crime against humanity.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laurentio III View Post
    Lightnunchaku, instead, are a crime against humanity.
    Is that two lightsabers connected by a chain, or two handles with a flexible tube of plasma between them?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

You mean this?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No, I mean the "vaporizing people with a bull charge" ones.
    Running naked in the playground!

[email protected]

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Is that two lightsabers connected by a chain, or two handles with a flexible tube of plasma between them?
    Both obviously.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

This is the explanation that makes the most sense, I think, with what we see in the films (original, prequel, and sequel). Swinging something and keeping it away from one's own body is well within the bounds of normal human capability, but without the Force, you won't be able to do the specific things the Jedi do with a lightsaber and will be stuck holding a glowing melee-only weapon in a setting replete with ranged weapons. One could argue for the usefulness of lightsabers in utility contexts for common soldiers, but at that point, it becomes a question of utility versus cost and availability.
    Which gels with all the movies, but Grievous deflects blaster bolts in Clone Wars.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Is that the Cartoon grevious who is badass, or the movie Greivous who just windmills his sabers around in a circle?

9. - Top - End - #369
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

The first kind are actually light-swordchucks.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

One could argue for the usefulness of lightsabers in utility contexts for common soldiers, but at that point, it becomes a question of utility versus cost and availability.
    Which makes me wonder why lightknives aren't a thing. You don't need a whole sword for cutting most things, and a knife with an energy blade would put a vibro-blade to shame.

Actually, I wonder what the younglings' or Yoda's smaller lightsabers would look like when held by a full-size adult? Why do we never see that?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #371

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Which makes me wonder why lightknives aren't a thing. You don't need a whole sword for cutting most things, and a knife with an energy blade would put a vibro-blade to shame.

Actually, I wonder what the younglings' or Yoda's smaller lightsabers would look like when held by a full-size adult? Why do we never see that?
    I have zero idea from a canon / expanded canon etc. perspective, but putting my worldbuilder hat on, if I had to come up with an excuse, I'd say that getting a stable, contained beam like you see in a lightsaber requires a power concentration that would be sufficient to power a full-size lightsaber. Getting something smaller would require intentionally reducing the range of your beam to less than what your equipment permits. Therefore, since you're paying for the full-size beam in the first place, so to speak, it doesn't make sense to have a smaller blade. No idea if anything in canon contradicts this idea though... if it does, then yeah, why the heck don't we have light-knives, they would be hella cool in a variety of situations.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The EU did feature Lightsaber Shotos, also known as lightdaggers. But they were less combat knives and more offhand parrying blades, or for someone like Yoda who couldn't wield a full-size saber.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Courtesy of the H2G2 film.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post

Courtesy of the H2G2 film.
    But what if I want a slice of untoastedd bread?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Which gels with all the movies, but Grievous deflects blaster bolts in Clone Wars.
    Grievous cheats. He's been extensively modified with cybernetics, including on a nervous system level, which increases his reflexes. He also uses four lightsabers at the same time, which increases the odds that a given blaster bolt will be parried even if he had no skill whatsoever.

I think it's probably a matter of resource availability and cost. Lightsaber crystals aren't, say, as rare as Faberge eggs, since every Jedi or Jedi-in-training can be equipped with a lightsaber, but keep in mind that the Jedi are a relatively small organization tied into the high levels of a galaxy-wide government, so they can get a hold of those resources even if, on a broader basis, they're far too rare to be used for consumer goods. And since the crystals are a mineral resource, there's a set and finite amount of them within non-cosmological time scales, so a farsighted organization might make a point to deliberately ration them.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Grievous cheats. He's been extensively modified with cybernetics, including on a nervous system level, which increases his reflexes. He also uses four lightsabers at the same time, which increases the odds that a given blaster bolt will be parried even if he had no skill whatsoever.

I think it's probably a matter of resource availability and cost. Lightsaber crystals aren't, say, as rare as Faberge eggs, since every Jedi or Jedi-in-training can be equipped with a lightsaber, but keep in mind that the Jedi are a relatively small organization tied into the high levels of a galaxy-wide government, so they can get a hold of those resources even if, on a broader basis, they're far too rare to be used for consumer goods. And since the crystals are a mineral resource, there's a set and finite amount of them within non-cosmological time scales, so a farsighted organization might make a point to deliberately ration them.
    And a not farsighted organization might hollow out a planet of them to build a Deathstar or two.

17. - Top - End - #377

New comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by memnarch
    I never looked into any of the specifics of how lightsabers work beyond them needing crystals of some kind, so I'm curious what the reason might be for them always turning off when they're dropped.
    I always assumed they had a "only on when pressed" button. Turning them on was always a separate step from unsheathing them, which distinguished them from swords in a visually impressive way. I figured the button required constant contact, rather than being a toggle switch. (Some RL lightsaber toys work exactly that way, probably to save battery.) Now that I think about it, though, that would also mean a lightsaber could never be a thrown weapon - it would turn off in mid-air.

I didn't kill the thread this time! Yay!
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    I always assumed they had a "only on when pressed" button. Turning them on was always a separate step from unsheathing them, which distinguished them from swords in a visually impressive way. I figured the button required constant contact, rather than being a toggle switch. (Some RL lightsaber toys work exactly that way, probably to save battery.) Now that I think about it, though, that would also mean a lightsaber could never be a thrown weapon - it would turn off in mid-air.
    Thrown lightsaber is a staple maneuver in older video games, though, and Darth Vader did it at least once in the films (near the end of Return of the Jedi). I think the assumption there is that you have to use The Force to keep the dead man's switch held down; they're already presumably using The Force to guide the saber through the air anyway (and call it back to themselves, in the video games).

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic.

You can just use the force to keep the button depressed while it flies to its target.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic.

IIRC in the Legends canon lightsabers by default turned off if you released the power button, but there was a switch or something you could toggle to lock the blade on. I haven't engaged with any of the Disney canon EU, so I don't know if there's a similar concept there.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

21. - Top - End - #381

Thrown lightsaber is a staple maneuver in older video games, though, and Darth Vader did it at least once in the films (near the end of Return of the Jedi). I think the assumption there is that you have to use The Force to keep the dead man's switch held down; they're already presumably using The Force to guide the saber through the air anyway (and call it back to themselves, in the video games).
    Vader presumably called his lightsaber back with the Force in Return of the Jedi; at any rate, he certainly never bent over to pick it up off the floor or anything like that.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Hey nice that's Mutants and Masterminds style phrasing.

Spoiler: TLJ
    Show
    I can't wait to learn Luke's Darth name.
    Yoda's was Sain.

Taking bets for what Luke's will be. Dustry? Sertion? Stantaneous? Structor?
    Huh, I just realized the meaning of "Darth Sain" in the comic now.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Vader presumably called his lightsaber back with the Force in Return of the Jedi; at any rate, he certainly never bent over to pick it up off the floor or anything like that.
    True, but he at least seems to walk over to where it fell rather than pulling it back from afar like Kyle Katarn in the SW Jedi Knight games.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    True, but he at least seems to walk over to where it fell rather than pulling it back from afar like Kyle Katarn in the SW Jedi Knight games.
    I mean, what's to say that Vader doesn't just have a second lightsaber?

Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lightsabers are a pretty silly weapon if you are not an excellent martial artist, but they do make the best protection against almost everything.
    Which is why Ulysses 31 is the superior fantasy space opera franchise.
    Spoiler: Big image
    Show

Look at that: a lightsword that is also a blaster, and a light shield. Plus a badass armor with a helmet that looks like a lion's head. And, instead of just an old evil wizard emperor? Please! Ulysses fight against literal gods. The Jedi got nothing on the King of Space Ithaca.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #386

PirateGuy

I mean, what's to say that Vader doesn't just have a second lightsaber?
    I don't think they know about second lightsaber, Anonymouswizard...

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

I airways thought vader walking over to his lightsaber was a show of dominance. He's allegedly unarmed, but he just casually strolls over. This isn't a desperate battle, it's just another day at the office.

28. - Top - End - #388

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    I don't think they know about second lightsaber, Anonymouswizard...
    What about Lightsaber shoto's?

29. - Top - End - #389

Corellia was just referenced in comic. I can't tell if memnarch is being deliberately vague in recognising the word Corellian "from somewhere" or if they're just as forgetful as I am. I had to Google to check if I only knew it from SWTOR, or if I really had seen it only four weeks ago... (The August 14 comic was the one that linked here - I wonder if anyone noticed when it was first published in late July?)

I'm still fairly sure I've been to Corellia in SWTOR, though. And I don't know if the phrase "Corellian Syndicate" comes from there or from Da&Dr.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

30. - Top - End - #390

PirateGuy

Corellia was just referenced in comic. I can't tell if memnarch is being deliberately vague in recognising the word Corellian "from somewhere" or if they're just as forgetful as I am. I had to Google to check if I only knew it from SWTOR, or if I really had seen it only four weeks ago... (The August 14 comic was the one that linked here - I wonder if anyone noticed when it was first published in late July?)

I'm still fairly sure I've been to Corellia in SWTOR, though. And I don't know if the phrase "Corellian Syndicate" comes from there or from Da&Dr.
    Off the top of my head, Corellia is a well-known planet in official SW lore. I think that's where Han Solo comes from (don't know where exactly it was established). Also, a "Corellian Corvette" was a popular vessel, don't remember where it was used in the movies but I think it was. I know it best from the X-Wing / Tie-Fighter flight sim games though.