New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default The Beer Appreciation Thread

To avoid derailing the Drink of the Gods thread, I thought I'd create a thread of its own for beer where beer lovers and beer haters can come together in discussion. What types of beer you like, how much you hate it, what you find so delectable/loathesome about it, and so on.

To continue a line of discussion from the Drink of the Gods thread, beer is indeed yak piss ... if you drink any of the commerical crap that most people will be introduced to (Molson, Labatt, Coors, Budweiser, Miller, etc., for the yak piss produced in Canada & the United States).

However, if you drink real beer, you'll find that there is a huge range of styles and flavours to choose from. Everyone knows about wine connoissieurs - well, there are beer connoissieurs. You can very much describe a beer by its colour, odour, taste, and mouth feel, and certain styles of beer work better when paired with certain foods. Just like wine.

Also, someone mentioned that they don't normally drink beer, but there is a dark beer produced locally they liked because you can't taste the alcohol. That's because with a high-quality beer, you won't taste the alcohol (for the most part; in some types tasting the alcohol is a desirable quality).

Anyway, if you want to drink some real beer, find some microbreweries in your area and give them a try. Then you'll really find out what beer tastes like.

Edit: spelling
    Last edited by Rare Pink Leech; 2007-08-31 at 08:23 AM.
    Leech Link by The Randomizer
    Spoiler
    Show

Rorschach & Smiley Face avatars by Djinn_In_Tonic.
    Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band avatar by ben101.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Beer Appreciation Thread

In normal situations I just drink Heineken. But! I also live right next to Belgium and Belgium is the country is special brews, yay. Some of my favorites include Grimbergen, Hoegaarden, Gulden Draak and Leffe. And then there's this tiny brewery in Amsterdam that uses 'ecological products only', and they in fact make quite a tasty beer. A short summary of my tastes.
    I have no sig

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rykaj View Post
    In normal situations I just drink Heineken.

Heineken is among the worst beers I've ever had.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post

I understand that the non-exported Heiny is less nasty. But the people I've ever met from Holland say that even then it's considered bottom of the keg, so to speak.

Plus, if you're close to Belgium you really ought to be drinking Belgian beer. I'd even say exclusively Belgian beer. I mean Chimay is right there.

As for US beer drinkers, despite the likelihood of tossing a couple excellent beers under the bus (like Sam Adams), I'd recommend that if you've ever heard or seen a TV or radio ad for a beer DO NOT drink it.

(* Please consider this the Beirut Exception Clause*)
    Last edited by Azrael; 2007-08-31 at 08:45 AM.

Shadowy Goodness since 1892.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    Now we head around under the cover of night looking for threads that will most likely be locked, directing people to the new members thread, and fighting crime.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I drink usually Corona, one of the best mexican beers there are. I'm not a fan of expensive beers, really. Sol and Indio are good, too, but Corona is the best mexican beer there is.
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I go for microbrews and high-quality ales almost exclusively. I live in Milwaukee, and am terribly embarrassed by the near-tasteless filth that is Miller and its products. If pressed, I'll drink a Miller Genuine Draft, but I'll do so grudgingly and won't enjoy it much.

Anyway, I prefer a local micro place called Lakefront Brewery. Their beers and ales are truly fermented awesome. They also happen to have the best brewery tour that anyone I know has ever been on.

When not drinking Lakefront, I go for Skullsplitter, Delierium Nocturnum, or if in an Irish bar, Smithwick's.
    Last edited by OverdrivePrime; 2007-08-31 at 08:51 AM.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by radikalskippy View Post
    I drink usually Corona, one of the best mexican beers there are. I'm not a fan of expensive beers, really. Sol and Indio are good, too, but Corona is the best mexican beer there is.

I am utterly dumbfounded by your statement. In my world you have just declared that up is actually blue and hot is actually grass. I hear only the ravings of a madman. Have you tried Modelo Negra, or Dos Equis? I am certain that any person gifted with tastebuds will enjoy them more than Corona.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm not quite a drinker, really. I haven't tried them, actually. I just like the taste of Corona. But today may be a good chance to try them, now that you say so. I'll follow your advice and... Tell you tomorrow...
    So I herd you liek Mudkipz by Mr. Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Many thanks to both Mr Saturn and B-Man for their avatars!! Antiform Sora, Haloween Sora, Majora's Mask Link, Wolf Link & Midna, KH Sora and Christmas in July Sora

I was a Custom Title ITP!
    Lucky "Guess the Number" quote:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xykon_Fan View Post
    Great, Radikal fixed the dice...and by fixed, I mean "broke beyond repair and cheats irreparably."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

If I can make one life more flavorful, then I have not lived in vain!

I know some people like Corona because its like drinking water with a lime in it that can eventually make you drunk. It's cheap, so Corona has that going for it too. But for actual taste, I think you'll like some of the other Mexican varieties. Modelo Negra is my favorite, but I tend to like a lot of darker beers.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post

I am utterly dumbfounded by your statement. In my world you have just declared that up is actually blue and hot is actually grass. I hear only the ravings of a madman. Have you tried Modelo Negra, or Dos Equis? I am certain that any person gifted with tastebuds will enjoy them more than Corona.
    Corona has its time and place -- it's a great hot-weather beer, and it's good when you're looking for something lighter. That being said, Negro Modela is absolutely fantastic and it's one of my favorite beers ever.

My all-time favorite is Abita Turbo Dog, although close runners-up include Fat Tire, Newcastle Brown and almost anything by Ska Brewery.
    Thanks to Doihaveaname? for the custom avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Of the major US brewing companies, Sam Adams is the only one I ever drink. The rest, I hardly consider beer.

In no particular order, some of the other brands that I like:
    Legend
    Hobgoblin
    Rogue
    Turbodog
    Wolaver's (particularly their Honey Brown ale)
    Warsteiner's (though I will confirm that it loses a lot in the trip over from Germany, it's still a decent beer when it gets here)

Some of Trader Joe's labels are surprisingly good.

I really don't like Hefeweizen - not even the stuff I tried when I was in Germany. I just don't like it. So I know there are a bunch of good beers that I'm not going to mention just because of that.

The very best brews are the ones that you can find locally. If you have a brewpub in your area, and are of age, try it out.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Out of preference I drink either good British real ale, preferably from as local a brewery as possible. The less distance beer travels the better. I prefer to drink the light coloured ales out of preference. My favourite brewery is the local one from when I was at university, Durham Brewery (England).

I also have a taste for good continental lagers, especially the German and Czech stuff, though in all honesty I like most German beer, especially Alt, Pils and Weissbier (preferably Dunkel). I must say I like the German attitude to beer, they just treat it as an adult soft drink. If you are in a supermarket there, it is found with the soft drinks rather than with the wines and the spirits.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Normally, given the opportunity to have a rant about beer, I would gladly take it and rave on about how the only good beer is traditional english ale, complete with old mens beards and twigs in it...but to be honest, I don't have the effort right now.

For preference I drink Ale, followed by real Beer (the stuff you get from continental Europe that's usually around the 8-12% mark), stouts/bitters and miscellaneous other.

I cannot stand the commercial lagers (Fosters, Carling, etc.) available in the UK, they make me retch. As does the stuff available in America that's served ice-cold because it takes like piss...beer should be slightly below room-temperature at its coldest and some should even be served slightly warm.

Ah crap...I'm starting to rant...sigh...don't worry, I'll stop before it goes any further....
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    ... followed by real Beer (the stuff you get from continental Europe...

...As does the stuff available in America ...
    Although it may not have been JP's intent, the next (or first) person who disparages all American beer based on the macro brewed Budweiser & Clones is going to get a bottle of Ommegang shoved quite brutally into one of their orifices. Perhaps a nostril.

I'm just sick of it. If you actually know anything about good beer, you should already know better.
    Last edited by Azrael; 2007-08-31 at 09:44 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now we head around under the cover of night looking for threads that will most likely be locked, directing people to the new members thread, and fighting crime.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I like some of the beers from Sam Adams - cherry wheat is especially good. The "regular" Sam Adams isn't bad (it's head and shoulders above any other large-scale American production), but it's not my thing.

I also like stuff from small breweries. Right now, I'm working my way through a sampler case from Weyerbacher Brewing Company. The case includes Autumnfest, Black Hole, Hops Infusion, and House Ale. I didn't much like the Hops Infusion, but the other three are very tasty.

I've had a previous sampler case from the same brewery that included Blithering Idiot, Heresy, Merry Monk, and Old Heathen. All four of those were very tasty as well.

Another beer I tried recently that was very good was Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Their site seems to be not working, or I'd link it. Tasty.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

*throws arms up in the air*

I HAVE RESPECT FOR BEER!

I personally like a cheap not-so-great beer, like Corona, with say...my cheap not-so-healthy for your mexican food. Fitting and delicious.
    sign by egobuttz

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

My grandfather taught me a valuable lesson; "There is no bad beer." He told me, "There is good beer, better beer, and beer that someone else paid for." There is a time and place for Corona, Miller Lite, and Heineken, but if you can, you should try to get some of the better beer. Beerfest isn't just a movie. Many cities have exhibitions for microbrewers to display their frothy, malty, hoppy beauties. Mmmmm... beer. My favorites are inMadison, WI and Denver, CO.

Currently drinking: Spotted Cow (Well, not at this moment. At 10:00 am, it is still coffee time.)

Waiting for the next batch of: 120 IPA
    Someone really should think about developing Advanced Chess, 2nd Edition with better mounted combat rules.
    - Waldo

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    Waiting for the next batch of: 120 IPA
    The 120 is amazing. I pick up Raison D'Etre frequently.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

RedSorcererGirl

steel reserve 4tw. nothing says "woo i'm a so hip and urban." like a 40 oz of beverage with the word steel in it's name.

20. - Top - End - #20

Privilege Revocation: For bringing up $2 40's of malt beverage, Reorith may no longer talk about about beer.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Man View Post
    My grandfather taught me a valuable lesson; "There is no bad beer."
    Your grandfather obviously never drank Piels or Milwaukee's Best...
    John Ling

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I understand that the non-exported Heiny is less nasty. But the people I've ever met from Holland say that even then it's considered bottom of the keg, so to speak.

Plus, if you're close to Belgium you really ought to be drinking Belgian beer. I'd even say exclusively Belgian beer. I mean Chimay is right there.

As for US beer drinkers, despite the likelihood of tossing a couple excellent beers under the bus (like Sam Adams), I'd recommend that if you've ever heard or seen a TV or radio ad for a beer DO NOT drink it.

(* Please consider this the Beirut Exception Clause*)

Haha. Sam Adams. Boston. Makes so much sense. But, yes. I agree. I've tried almost every variety of their beer and have yet to find one that I dislike.

I'd like to point to another local beer and state that Shipyard's Pumpkinhead Ale is possibly the best flavoured beer on the planet. Harpoon's Winter Warmer, Sam Adams' Octoberfest. These are all local, seasonal beers which I could drink until I burst. Sierra Nevada. Thank you for distributing to New Hampshire. Get me into any microbrew, and I'll probably find something that I'll like.

Now, as far as imports... Newcastle. Bass. Guinness. That's about where it stops for me.

A general rule, if it comes in a can (other than Guinness, of course) I will most likely not drink it.
    Awesome sweet cool looking Tree avatar by Abardam!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Its times like this that I wish I had the financial luxury to explore the wonderful world of beers out there, because I've had some damn good ones in my time. Sadly though, I usually end up having enough good ones to promptly forget what I was drinking the next day. I regularly despair whenever I realise that the only beers in my meagre price range these days are distinctly lacking in quality. This alone I believe is the source of the UK's drinking binge problem - the beers must be consumed incredibly quickly so as to avoid actually having to taste them.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Anyone else here ever tried Monteith's Dopplerblock Winter Ale? That's my drink of choice. It's annoyingly seasonal however. Otherwise, Little Creature's, Cooper's Pale Ale and Kilkenny's Irish stout are all frequent favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Chimay is right there.
    Here, here! I mean it, I want some here. That's good stuff, damned expensive in Australia though. Delirium Tremens is fun too.
    Avi by Djinn in Tonic

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, there you've hit upon one of the great things that divides our nation, beer brands! You've probably met people from the east of the country, where they will only drink Grolsch and completely dispise Heineken and don't want to be involved with it in any way. In fact if the national chain of supermarkets puts Heineken on discount the supermarkets in the east of the country won't bother buying extra stock because it won't sell anyway. And this goes on with different brands all over the country. In the south there's the Dommelsch vs Bavaria feud for example.

I'm a student and when I first came to this city everyone had a preconceived notion about good beer. I myself was in fact a Grolsch drinker, which is supposedly the complete opposite of Heineken. In the end we all ended up mainly liking the beer we drank the most, in my case Heineken, which is what they have at my fraternity (mind you, they work differently here than in the US).

Just don't let anyone tell you Heineken, or any other beer for that matter is bottom keg material here, because there is just no such thing. Even Oranjeboom, which most people think everyone hates, gets drunk in some parts of the country.

You are right, except I often drink beer just to get drunk and in bars they don't often have Belgian beer. If I ever take a beer when I'm just relaxing on the sofa I do prefer a beer with a little more depth in flavor than just plain draft beer. In those situations I really like Belgian beer, Chimay being a great example.
    I have no sig

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rykaj View Post
    In normal situations I just drink Heineken. But! I also live right next to Belgium and Belgium is the country is special brews, yay. Some of my favorites include Grimbergen, Hoegaarden, Gulden Draak and Leffe. And then there's this tiny brewery in Amsterdam that uses 'ecological products only', and they in fact make quite a tasty beer. A short summary of my tastes.
    Great, actually anotherone who likes a Leffe. Do they still ship the beer in wooden crates? I only get my hands on some of this great brew if the parents of a friend of mine get some on their vacation trip to Britain...

Normally, I go with a Budweiser (Budvar, the czechian one...), a Kilkenny or, if looking for a dark beer, Guinness or a micro brew fresh from the keg.

For anyone in central europe who likes STRONG beer: Try an "Andechser Doppelbock" either the dark or the normal one. Actually, they ship this stuff by the keg worldwide. Sure, you will pay a lot for this stuff, but if you like some strong, tasty liquid bread, this is definitely yours...
    Life is hell - in color and stereo!

Stabbityback!

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    Your grandfather obviously never drank Piels or Milwaukee's Best...
    Actually, he did drink the Beast. (He was kind of cheap at times.) If you can drink a slightly warm case, you can drink anything. But why would you if you can avoid it? Oh, avoid. AVOID I say!

Never heard of Piels. I see it is a "coasty" beer. Well, next time I'm out East… nah, never mind.

EDIT: Have to say Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel is one of the best beers I've ever had. Got it fresh the last time I was in München. Like drinking a big bowl of fruit- with dirt and chocolate. So malty.
    Last edited by Old_Man; 2007-08-31 at 11:04 AM.
    Someone really should think about developing Advanced Chess, 2nd Edition with better mounted combat rules.
    - Waldo

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't drink alchohol at all, but I do enjoy a good beer soaked bratwurst.
    Robberbaron

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Ugh, the beast is hoooooorrible. I once ruined a batch of beer brats by trying to boil them in the Beast. That was 9 years ago, and I've never made the same mistake again.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BDO View Post
    Great, actually anotherone who likes a Leffe. Do they still ship the beer in wooden crates? I only get my hands on some of this great brew if the parents of a friend of mine get some on their vacation trip to Britain...

Normally, I go with a Budweiser (Budvar, the czechian one...), a Kilkenny or, if looking for a dark beer, Guinness or a micro brew fresh from the keg.

For anyone in central europe who likes STRONG beer: Try an "Andechser Doppelbock" either the dark or the normal one. Actually, they ship this stuff by the keg worldwide. Sure, you will pay a lot for this stuff, but if you like some strong, tasty liquid bread, this is definitely yours...
    Oh lord, the infamous Doppelbock. That was probably the second-worst hangover in my life.

The worst was after the Hofbraeuhaus. Remember that scene in Fellowship of the Ring?
    Telonius: "They come in liters?"
    Yeah, it was kinda like that, with similarly disastrous results.