New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Default Mighty Maneuvers of Mettle! Barbarian Maneuver Jam

Hello, everyone!

What with 5.5e on the horizon and everyone talking about more options for martials, I decided I'd try my hand at coming up with class-specific maneuvers, to be tested in my own games. And first on the menu are those belligerent, burly brawlers -- Barbarians!

Inspired by a conversation on another thread, I've decided to wed these Barbarian maneuvers to a new experimental mechanic -- the Rage Die. I haven't ironed out all the creases yet, but the idea is that instead of having to wait for short/long rests or whatever, the quick-burning resource that Barbarians consume to fuel their maneuvers is generated by DOING Barbarian type-things. You hit and deal damage with a Str-based attack -- +1 Rage Die for you. You successfully grapple/shove/knock down a target -- +1 Rage Die. You take bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage in a turn -- +1 Rage Die. In my head, the idea is that your max Rage Die would increase as you hit certain levels. (Max 1 Rage Die at level 1, max 2 Rage Dice at level 5, max 3 rage dice at level 11... again, not ironed out, all theoretical.) Certain maneuvers cost a certain amount of Rage Dice to use, and by spending more than the max on a low-cost maneuver, you effectively "upcast" the maneuver (to do more damage or get new effects). Probably gonna have to change the word "upcast," though. "Upswing"? "Empower"? Names of things aren't terribly important, at the moment -- just trying to get a feel for things.

So then why is this called a... "Maneuver Jam"?
    So glad you asked! The idea is that you can contribute ideas for Barbarian maneuvers. I didn't put this in the Homebrew Design Forum because I'm not really homebrewing anything yet -- just brainstorming, and I've noticed that you guys are really good at brainstorming stuff. Like, way better than me.

Ok. So when we say "Maneuver," we're talking like Battle Master maneuvers.
    Yes, and no. Battle Master maneuvers are great, but they feel kinda... fighterish, don't they? I want these maneuvers to be all about raw strength and unbridled anger, maybe even to the point of being humorous. I have some examples at the bottom of this post, which use the Rage Die mechanic.

I don't like the Rage Die mechanic. It won't work because XYZ/I prefer short rests/martials don't need this.
    These are all fair points, but at the same time, I don't feel like debating those points in this thread. Not saying those points are wrong! I just want to keep this place brainstormy. Heck, if it makes you feel better and you want to contribute an idea, just say "I'm predicating my maneuver on short/long rests, because the Rage Dice are silly." 100% fair -- I really just want maneuvers, maneuvers, maneuvers. And my idea is that if I can get this to work, maybe I could make something for other martials where they get their own version of it.

But this maneuver you/someone else wrote is unbalanced/doesn't account for rage damage/affects the meta.
    I know. And that's okay! This is more just for ideas, getting all kinds of fun things on the page that Barbarians could or would do, that no one else could.

--EXAMPLES--

Mighty Toss
    Execution Time: 1 action
    Range: Throwing range of weapon used to execute the maneuver
    Req: Any weapon with the "Thrown" property, without the "Finesse" property
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Class: Barbarian (also maybe Fighter? If they got roped into this)

You hurl a weapon made for throwing, with incredible force. When you hit a creature with a ranged weapon attack using Strength, you can expend one Rage Die to attempt to drive the target back or knock them prone. You add the Rage Die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you may either push the target up to 10 feet away from you, or knock the target prone.
    Upswinging: Each additional Rage Die is added to the damage, and at 3 Rage Dice, you can attempt to push back or knock prone Huge targets.

Body Throw
    Range: Melee
    Req: Must already be grappling creature
    Class: Barbarian

You lift a creature up that you are currently grappling, and throw them into the fray. While grappling a creature of Medium size of smaller, you can expend one Rage Die to toss the target up to 20 ft. away from you. Upon landing, they must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, they take bludgeoning damage equal to a roll of the Rage Die plus your Strength modifier, and are knocked prone. On a successful save, they take no damage and land on their feet.
    If you choose to toss them into another creature, then the thrown creature's landing spot will be the square immediately in front of the second target, and the second target must also make a Dexterity saving throw. If they fail, they also take the same damage from the attack.
    Upswinging: Each additional Rage Die is added to the damage.

-----------------------------

I've got a bunch more ideas, but how about you guys? You don't even have to write it all out, could be something as simple as "Barbarians should be able to headbutt someone and take a small amount of damage, in return for stunning the enemy." Anything at all!

If WotC won't give martials fun stuff like this (let's be honest, they're not gonna), let's do it ourselves!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Mighty Maneuvers of Mettle! Barbarian Maneuver Jam

I really like the idea!

I've seen a couple similar ideas thrown around, and I think the idea of Barbarians getting resources for taking/dealing damage makes a lot of sense. I think it'd work best as a resource gained for taking damage or failing saving throws, as it encourages people to fight recklessly like the typical berserker.

Edit:
    Also I'd love to see some more of your ideas for maneuvers if you don't mind sharing!
    Last edited by Zzachary37; 2021-09-29 at 01:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

This is a good idea! And I agree, fighter maneuvers are for fighters. Barbarians need maneuvers that fit their style. Here's the first one that sprung to mind for me:

Retaliation

Execution Time: Reaction
    Req: A creature currently attacking you in melee

When a creature attempts to hit you with an attack from melee range, you may use your reaction before the result of the roll to hit is determined to allow the attack to automatically hit you. You then make a single melee attack against the creature that struck you. This attack has advantage to hit, unless you currently have disadvantage.
    Upswinging: For each additional Rage Die expended, you add an additional die of the type appropriate to the weapon you are using for your retaliatory attack.

4. - Top - End - #4

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Zzachary37 View Post
    I really like the idea!

I've seen a couple similar ideas thrown around, and I think the idea of Barbarians getting resources for taking/dealing damage makes a lot of sense. I think it'd work best as a resource gained for taking damage or failing saving throws, as it encourages people to fight recklessly like the typical berserker.

Edit:
    Also I'd love to see some more of your ideas for maneuvers if you don't mind sharing!
    Ooo, I should check out the similar ideas, maybe someone's beaten me to the punch. Thanks! I like the idea of transferring it to other martials, too -- reward martials for playing the way they're meant to be played, and get cool moves as a result. Maybe Rogues get Cunning Dice for landing sneak attacks or being tricky, Monks get Technique Dice for dodging attacks and hitting with unarmed strikes, Fighters get Combat Dice for all kinds of reasons since they love maneuvers the way wizards love spells, etc. Reward people for playing classes the way they're meant to be played!

Sure thing:

Up N'At 'Em
    Execution Time: 1 reaction, which you take upon being knocked prone by an attack or effect
    Range: Self
    Req: None

Rather than fall down, you smash the ground with such seismic strength that you are propelled back to your feet. Upon being knocked prone by an attack or an effect, you can expend 1 Rage Die to strike at the ground and nullify the prone condition. All other damage and effects from the triggering attack still apply.
    If you use this maneuver while both hands are unarmed, you take bludgeoning damage equal to a roll of the Rage Die + your Strength modifier.

Ragdoll Smash
    Range: 5 ft
    Req: Must already be grappling creature

You take the grappled creature in hand and fling them about like an impromptu weapon, doing all sorts of damage to the creature, nearby enemies, and the scenery. While grappling a creature of Medium size or smaller, you can expend 1 Rage Die to attempt to seize them by a limb and flail them into a different square within 5 feet. The creature must make a Strength saving throw. If the target succeeds on their saving throw, they take no damage and are not moved, but are still grappled. If they fail their save and the square is unoccupied, the creature takes bludgeoning damage equal to a roll of your Rage Die + your Strength Modifier, and is moved to the new square.
    If they fail their save and the square is occupied by another creature, both creatures take bludgeoning damage equal to a roll of your Rage Die + your Strength Modifier, and then the grappled creature returns to their original square.
    If they fail their save and the square is occupied by an unattended object, both the creature and the object take bludgeoning damage equal to a roll of your Rage Die + your Strength Modifier, and the grappled creature is moved to the new square.
    Upswinging: Additional Rage Dice are added to the damage, and at 2 Rage Dice, you can attempt to flail a creature of Large size.

Giant Swing
    Range: Range of weapon used to execute the maneuver
    Req: Any weapon with the Two-Handed property, or a weapon with the Versatile property being held in two hands, using Strength

When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack using Strength, you can expend one Rage Die to attempt to drive the target back. You add the Rage Die to the attack's damage roll, and if the target is Large or smaller, it must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, you push the target up to 20 feet away from you.
    Upswinging: Additional Rage Dice are added to the damage, and with each additional Rage Die over 1, you can push the target an additional 5 feet. At 2 Rage Dice, the target is also knocked prone if they fail their saving throw.

And here's what a high-level one would look like, though admittedly it needs some workshopping:

Steel Tempest
    Req: Any weapon with the Two-Handed property, or a weapon with the Versatile property being held in two hands, using Strength
    Duration: Focus (Concentration equivalent for martials?), up to 3 rounds

You hold your weapon out and begin to spin in menacing circles, like a dervish of destruction. For the duration of the maneuver, you become incapable of interacting normally with objects, or drawing or stowing weapons. Additionally, your Movement Speed is halved, and once you move 5 ft. in any direction, you may only continue to move in that direction for the entirety of your Movement, with no ability to move backwards or from side to side.
    When you move within 5 ft. of any creature, the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 6d6 damage of the weapon's type used in the maneuver, plus the Rage Dice expended to execute it, or half as much damage on a successful save. A creature takes the same damage when it moves within 5 ft of you for the first time on a turn or ends its turn there.

---------------------------

Again - this is just brainstorming, for all you wallflowers out there. Throw something in there that sounds fun! "I think Barbarians should get a high-level maneuver that lets them explode a mountain with a swing." Let's throw it on the grill!
    Last edited by Abracadangit; 2021-09-29 at 02:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yakmala View Post
    This is a good idea! And I agree, fighter maneuvers are for fighters. Barbarians need maneuvers that fit their style. Here's the first one that sprung to mind for me:

Retaliation

Execution Time: Reaction
    Req: A creature currently attacking you in melee

When a creature attempts to hit you with an attack from melee range, you may use your reaction before the result of the roll to hit is determined to allow the attack to automatically hit you. You then make a single melee attack against the creature that struck you. This attack has advantage to hit, unless you currently have disadvantage.
    Upswinging: For each additional Rage Die expended, you add an additional die of the type appropriate to the weapon you are using for your retaliatory attack.
    What a great idea! Why didn't I think of that, ha ha. You let the enemy hit you so you get to sock 'em back -- it's like you distilled the Barbarian into its purest form, as a reaction. On the list it goes!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

All of the maneuvers are very "different ways to hurt people" so far.

Some ideas (which I'm not entirely sure how to define within this framework):
    • Use a Rage Die to frighten people (maybe scare HP equal to some multiple of your Rage Die result, like how Sleep works?)
    • Spend a Rage Die to boost a Wisdom save, thanks to being too angry for mental influences.
    • Spend a Rage Die when making a death save to immediately stand up with 1 HP and (whatever you rolled) temporary HP.
    • Freedom of Movement, because flexing your ANGRY MUSCLES to break free from restraints is fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you're looking at ideas/concepts, check my homebrew sig for a thread for a very similar concept. I'm sure I've seen at least one other thread in the homebrew forum that does something along the same lines, though I don't have a link. (Maybe the 5e homebrew compendium thread has it?)
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

8. - Top - End - #8

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    All of the maneuvers are very "different ways to hurt people" so far.

Some ideas (which I'm not entirely sure how to define within this framework):
    • Use a Rage Die to frighten people (maybe scare HP equal to some multiple of your Rage Die result, like how Sleep works?)
    • Spend a Rage Die to boost a Wisdom save, thanks to being too angry for mental influences.
    • Spend a Rage Die when making a death save to immediately stand up with 1 HP and (whatever you rolled) temporary HP.
    • Freedom of Movement, because flexing your ANGRY MUSCLES to break free from restraints is fun.
    I've always found it silly that frightening enemies isn't part of the core Barbarian chassis - Berserkers get it, but why can't everyone. The question is should the Barbarian be allowed to scare multiple enemies at once, a la upcast Cause Fear? For now I'll say solo, only because then it works with the Rage Die (though maybe multiplier times Rage Die is the way to do it, as you suggested):

Menace
    Range: 30 ft
    Req: Target must be able to see and hear you

You snarl, roar, or produce a similarly terrifying display that strikes fear into the heart of your foe. You may expend one Rage Die to scare a creature within range. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. If they fail their save, they take psychic damage equal to a roll of your Rage Die, and are frightened of you. If they succeed, they take no damage and suffer no ill effect.
    Upswinging: Additional Rage Dice add to damage.

Furious Mind
    Execution Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you fail a Wisdom save

You cloud your mind with boiling anger, blocking out other emotions, drives, or intrusions. Upon failing a Wisdom saving throw, you may expend one Rage Die and add the roll to your save. Regardless of whether you succeed or not with the bonus, the die is expended.

Undying Rage
    Execution Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you need to make a death save

You let your rage flow through your body and soul, allowing you to ignore grievous wounds that would fell lesser warriors. Instead of rolling a death save, you may expend a Rage Die to spring to your feet, with 1 HP and an amount of temporary HP equivalent to what you roll on the Rage Die.

Flex Escape
    Execution Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you fail a Strength save to avoid being grappled or restrained

You puff out your chest and flex your muscles with such vigor that you can snap ropes, break chains, and destroy any other tether that might bind you. After failing a Strength saving throw to avoid being grappled or restrained, you may expend a Rage Die to reroll the saving throw. If you succeed and the initiator of the save is an object, such as bolas or a net, the object is considered destroyed. If you succeed and the initiator is a creature, they take force damage equivalent to a roll of your Rage Die plus your Strength modifier. Regardless of whether you succeed or not with the bonus, the die is expended.

-------------------------------------------------

I should try and come up with some more that are less "Do Damage, Pushback/Knock Prone," ha ha. That just seems to be Barbarians' natural disposition.

9. - Top - End - #9

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Composer99 View Post
    If you're looking at ideas/concepts, check my homebrew sig for a thread for a very similar concept. I'm sure I've seen at least one other thread in the homebrew forum that does something along the same lines, though I don't have a link. (Maybe the 5e homebrew compendium thread has it?)
    Reading through some of it now -- very comprehensive! Have you been running this in your games? If so, how has it been going?

EDIT: I also very much appreciate how maneuvers are categorized for easy class delineation, and then fighters have access to everything. Feels like the way it's meant to be, doesn't it? I might still keep some Barb-only, Rogue-only, Monk-only, etc., but the fighters being able to poach some from other class lists feels very fightery, in a way that fighters can't be right now because nothing like this exists in the actual game.
    Last edited by Abracadangit; 2021-09-29 at 03:57 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like Flex Escape is a little too mundane. You can't use it to, for example, ANGRY your way out of Hold Person.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

11. - Top - End - #11

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I feel like Flex Escape is a little too mundane. You can't use it to, for example, ANGRY your way out of Hold Person.
    Ha ha ha! Should they be able to angry their way out of Hold Person? Wouldn't that be Furious Mind, technically, to ace the save?

Or do we want Flex to effectively be a refluffed Freedom of Movement, but with muscles? Maybe "upswinging" it should allow the user to evade other kinds of conditions, i.e. paralysis or stun.

12. - Top - End - #12

SMASH!

When attempting to break something, such as a door, portcullis, wall, building, mountain... ;) you may spend a rage die as part of the roll to gain advantage on your Strength check and add the die result to the damage you do. If the object you're targeting is resistant to the damage you deal, it is not resistant for this attempt.

I've given all martial maneuvers, but haven't differentiated them in any way. I feel like both our ideas can work together. For examples, yours are basically maneuvers, but yours refresh differently in an extremely different way. You also have far more thematic maneuvers; where initially I thought sure fighters get them all, some of these don't really feel like anything but a Barbie should get.

As an aside, I've found it good practice to use or tweak a system that already exists, for ease of bookkeeping, learning, and understanding a houserule, then tweak it in minimal but significant ways (like refreshing with getting hit). That would be why I'd suggest making them maneuvers as a base to work with when you start to codify them

13. - Top - End - #13

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnirbear View Post
    SMASH!

When attempting to break something, such as a door, portcullis, wall, building, mountain... ;) you may spend a rage die as part of the roll to gain advantage on your Strength check and add the die result to the damage you do. If the object you're targeting is resistant to the damage you deal, it is not resistant for this attempt.

I've given all martial maneuvers, but haven't differentiated them in any way. I feel like both our ideas can work together. For examples, yours are basically maneuvers, but yours refresh differently in an extremely different way. You also have far more thematic maneuvers; where initially I thought sure fighters get them all, some of these don't really feel like anything but a Barbie should get.

As an aside, I've found it good practice to use or tweak a system that already exists, for ease of bookkeeping, learning, and understanding a houserule, then tweak it in minimal but significant ways (like refreshing with getting hit). That would be why I'd suggest making them maneuvers as a base to work with when you start to codify them
    What I like about this is it suggests maybe we can just split the existing "Rage" mechanic into individual components, and then dole those components out as Rage maneuvers. Rage problem solved! (Well... partway, anyway.)

I think our ideas can work together too! How were you recharging yours? Rests?

My original idea was that Barbs would get one Rage Die per turn, but then that felt sort of... I dunno. Passive, or something. And then people can just rest on their laurels and get them for free. Instead, go out there and smash stuff, and after 1-2 turns of smashing, NOW you can do something really gnarly. It's almost like building meter in a fighting game.

Thank you for your advice! Yeah, looking at Composer99's maneuver list, it seems like I should start from Level 0 and define what maneuvers feel like in the whole context of the game, before attacking classes piecemeal.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Abracadangit View Post
    Reading through some of it now -- very comprehensive! Have you been running this in your games? If so, how has it been going?

EDIT: I also very much appreciate how maneuvers are categorized for easy class delineation, and then fighters have access to everything. Feels like the way it's meant to be, doesn't it? I might still keep some Barb-only, Rogue-only, Monk-only, etc., but the fighters being able to poach some from other class lists feels very fightery, in a way that fighters can't be right now because nothing like this exists in the actual game.
    Thanks! I assume you're reading through the combat manoeuvre system, when I was thinking of my own Rage Die variant - but hopefully they both (with some modifications) are a trove of ideas for you.

I haven't played with it yet, because I'm running my first campaign in a while. But I intend to introduce the system, or a subsequent iteration of it, if and when my group starts our next campaign.
    ~ Composer99

D&D 5e Campaign:
    Adventures in Eaphandra

D&D 5e Homebrew:
    This can be found in my extended homebrew signature!

15. - Top - End - #15

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Composer99 View Post
    Thanks! I assume you're reading through the combat manoeuvre system, when I was thinking of my own Rage Die variant - but hopefully they both (with some modifications) are a trove of ideas for you.

I haven't played with it yet, because I'm running my first campaign in a while. But I intend to introduce the system, or a subsequent iteration of it, if and when my group starts our next campaign.
    I'm reading some of your Rage Die effects, and they almost read exactly like maneuvers I've already written or was planning to -- great minds!

Before I thought about trying my current method, I tried making something where a Rage was made up of Rage Points that went up or down based on various factors, but your Rage Die is much more elegant and easier to track than that.

The legwork I have to do now is figure out whether or not my Rage Die replaces traditional Rage, augments it, or is "Barbarian Rage" a Rage Die maneuver all its own.

If you end up running it in your next campaign, please let me know how it goes! I have a funny feeling the players will love it. I mean, how could you play with a system like that as a martial, and then WANT to go back to "Attack, Attack, Shove, Attack." I just don't see how.

16. - Top - End - #16

What I like about this is it suggests maybe we can just split the existing "Rage" mechanic into individual components, and then dole those components out as Rage maneuvers. Rage problem solved! (Well... partway, anyway.)

I think our ideas can work together too! How were you recharging yours? Rests?

My original idea was that Barbs would get one Rage Die per turn, but then that felt sort of... I dunno. Passive, or something. And then people can just rest on their laurels and get them for free. Instead, go out there and smash stuff, and after 1-2 turns of smashing, NOW you can do something really gnarly. It's almost like building meter in a fighting game.

Thank you for your advice! Yeah, looking at Composer99's maneuver list, it seems like I should start from Level 0 and define what maneuvers feel like in the whole context of the game, before attacking classes piecemeal.
    I changed very little. All applicable characters have access to all fighter maneuvers (except the ranger/paladin cantrip ones). They refresh on a rest, use a die, modify rolls, have the same names, use the same saves. They all use a D6, but that was partly because I built the homebrew feat on Beyond based off martial adept.

Now the system I used for determining who got access and how much? That was something I'm happy with. First, I designated 'full martials' and 'half-martials'. I seperate them based nearly entirely on how many unique interesting things to do the base class had, so the full martials were barbs, fighters, rogues. They get a number of dice equal to proficiency bonus, and a new maneuver at every level a full-caster gets a spell level.

Half-martials are artificer, monk, pally, ranger. They get half the dice a full-martial does (half proficiency, rounded up) and new maneuvers at the same levels half-casters do.

I had considered third-martials, especially to allow things like bladesingers or swords bards to get some, but frankly, they already have all the fun toys they need.

I'm not fixed on either the number of maneuvers gained or the number of dice; they just happened to be easy, simple numbers that my currently-stalled campaign was supposed to help iron out.

I really like your barbarian maneuvers, and I love the idea that you get your dice by getting smacked around or going hulk. I'd keep fighter as-is, and rogue maybe gets theirs every time they use their cunning action or attack while unseen? I'd likely keep the half-ers using fighter versions; its easy, and they get so few, so KISS.

Then I'd probably yoink any maneuvers your thread brings up, possibly re-sorting some by class if I think the flavour works for more than one class or better for a different class, and that would be a system I'd be happy to play or run.

17. - Top - End - #17

Imp

I changed very little. All applicable characters have access to all fighter maneuvers (except the ranger/paladin cantrip ones). They refresh on a rest, use a die, modify rolls, have the same names, use the same saves. They all use a D6, but that was partly because I built the homebrew feat on Beyond based off martial adept.

Now the system I used for determining who got access and how much? That was something I'm happy with. First, I designated 'full martials' and 'half-martials'. I seperate them based nearly entirely on how many unique interesting things to do the base class had, so the full martials were barbs, fighters, rogues. They get a number of dice equal to proficiency bonus, and a new maneuver at every level a full-caster gets a spell level.

Half-martials are artificer, monk, pally, ranger. They get half the dice a full-martial does (half proficiency, rounded up) and new maneuvers at the same levels half-casters do.

I had considered third-martials, especially to allow things like bladesingers or swords bards to get some, but frankly, they already have all the fun toys they need.

I'm not fixed on either the number of maneuvers gained or the number of dice; they just happened to be easy, simple numbers that my currently-stalled campaign was supposed to help iron out.

I really like your barbarian maneuvers, and I love the idea that you get your dice by getting smacked around or going hulk. I'd keep fighter as-is, and rogue maybe gets theirs every time they use their cunning action or attack while unseen? I'd likely keep the half-ers using fighter versions; its easy, and they get so few, so KISS.

Then I'd probably yoink any maneuvers your thread brings up, possibly re-sorting some by class if I think the flavour works for more than one class or better for a different class, and that would be a system I'd be happy to play or run.
    Thank you for the kind words! Is your maneuver system posted anywhere?

Your full-martial/half-martial setup makes total sense. I'm torn between having monks be half-martials (to steal your terminology), or making them full-martials and moving some of their class abilities into monk-only maneuvers. Monks are almost like the archetypal "travel-the-land-learning-new-secret-techniques-from-scrolls-or-masters" class, and it's kind of a bummer they don't have a bunch of moves with flowery names like "Viper's Fang" or "Falling Star Strike" or "Plum Blossom Palm" and such. Then again, their ki basically amounts to spell slots (in a sense), and I agree that paladins and rangers are half-martials since they've already got a lot to work with. Food for future thought!

Yeah, it's tempting to give some to certain subclasses, isn't it. I was thinking the same thing about Swords Bards, and Hexblades/War Clerics. (Basically any sub that gets martial weapons and/or an armor prof bump.) What I might do is if I can work out all the kinks in my own maneuver system, maybe it would be worth it to make/redesign certain subs as third-martials, the way Arcane Trickster/Eldritch Knight are third-casters. And then Swords Bards can finally be the blade-juggling, sword-dancing performers they were meant to be, instead of whatever they are now. Second-rate Battle Masters if you ask me, but that's a tangent.

Rogues are tricky -- they'd be cool with an X-action-generates-Cunning-Dice mechanic, but at the same time, they kind of already HAVE a mechanic like that in Sneak Attack. If you attack with advantage or while an ally is adjacent, then you get Sneak Attack. So they're already incentivized to attack with a certain style. I like your idea of striking while unseen -- maybe we pair that with +1 Cunning Die each time an attack against you misses.

I'm tempted to let Fighters get +1 Combat Die every turn for free, because they're fighters and they live for maneuver-type things. And then maybe +1 for dealing any damage with a weapon attack, and +1 for each time an attack against you misses. Is that too much? I like the rhythm of most maneuvers taking an action -- that way there's a sort of cadence to it. You attack on turn 1 and build up dice for a maneuver on turn 2, dodge some attacks on turn 3 to get a maneuver for turn 4.

And a couple more Barbarian maneuvers for the road:

Head Splitter

You viciously headbutt your foe in the face, with enough force to shatter bone. You expend 2 Rage Dice to make this attack, and force the target to make a Constitution save. If they fail their save, they take bludgeoning damage equal to the roll of the Rage Dice plus your Strength modifier, and they are stunned until the end of their next turn. If they succeed, they take half damage and are not stunned. Regardless of whether they succeed on their save or not, you take bludgeoning damage equal to half of the damage of the attack.
    Upswinging: Each additional Rage Die is added to the damage.

Rude Awakening

You punch yourself in the head, to clear your thoughts and refocus your mind. You may expend a Rage Die to end one effect on yourself that is causing you to be charmed or frightened. You take bludgeoning damage equal to the roll of the Rage Die plus your Strength modifier.

18. - Top - End - #18

Imp

I think maybe after one or two more of these, it'll be time to stop the brainstorming and officially move this to the Homebrew area.

Leap

You transfer your immense anger into your legs, fueling a mighty jump. You may expend a Rage Die, and add a number of feet to your long or high jump equivalent to the roll.
    Upswinging: Additional Rage Dice add more feet to the jump. At 3 Rage Dice or more, any creatures standing within 5 ft. of your landing square take force damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Disarming Flex
    Execution Time: 1 reaction, which you take when hit by an attack with a melee weapon that deals piercing or slashing damage
    Req: At least one hand free

In response to being sliced or impaled, you flex the wounded muscle before your attacker can retract, snatching their weapon away as a grisly souvenir. When another creature damages you with a melee weapon that deals piercing or slashing damage, you can expend one Rage Die to attempt to disarm the creature, forcing it to let go of the offending weapon. The target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it releases the weapon as you trap it in your muscles. As part of the same reaction, you can whip your body to the side and toss the weapon up to 10 ft. away, in any direction of your choice. If you do not elect to toss the weapon, it lands at your feet.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Disarming Flex
    Execution Time: 1 reaction, which you take when hit by an attack with a melee weapon that deals piercing or slashing damage
    Req: At least one hand free

In response to being sliced or impaled, you flex the wounded muscle before your attacker can retract, snatching their weapon away as a grisly souvenir. When another creature damages you with a melee weapon that deals piercing or slashing damage, you can expend one Rage Die to attempt to disarm the creature, forcing it to let go of the offending weapon. The target must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, it releases the weapon as you trap it in your muscles. As part of the same reaction, you can whip your body to the side and toss the weapon up to 10 ft. away, in any direction of your choice. If you do not elect to toss the weapon, it lands at your feet.
    Two quotes spring to mind, for flavor text:
    "Stab wounds? You mean EXTRA POCKETS?"
    or
    "Thank you, now *I* have a knife."

As for ideas, one high level maneuver needs to be a smash-the-ground type miniature earthquake.
    Last edited by Baine; 2021-09-30 at 10:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    Two quotes spring to mind, for flavor text:
    "Stab wounds? You mean EXTRA POCKETS?"
    or
    "Thank you, now *I* have a knife."

As for ideas, one high level maneuver needs to be a smash-the-ground type miniature earthquake.
    Fantastic flavor text!

I was thinking the same thing (believe it or not), though Composer99 already made a great version of that in their homebrew (found in their signature), so I was trying to figure out how to make my own unique version of it.

Easier said than done, it turns out.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I really like the idea that you gain the resource by being damaged.
    I have always thought the Barb needed a BIG JUMP mechanic, and I really like the idea of wrestling a weapon out of an opponent's grip, and tossing grappled foes (change name to YEET).

One I would like to see added: PUNT - expend a die to perform a BA PUNT attack, damage is the rage die plus st/rage bonus and foe is PUNTed 5' for every point of damage if they are small, 5' for every 2 damage if med or large, 5' per 4 damage if bigger than large, and they land prone. (or something like that)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I love the Steel Tempest maneuver, but I think there should also be a lower level version, one that's just a regular spin attack rather than the hurricane spin.

The only problem I can see is that it doesn't feel quite Barbarian exclusive; a Fighter would almost certainly be able to do a regular spin attack, too.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Three thoughts:

1) I think it's okay for some maneuvers to just make things happen without any uncertainty or drawback. Up and at 'Em could let you spend a rage die to spring to your feet, full stop, for instance. You might even allow Barbarians to use their reaction to get up off-turn, like if they were taking cover and a hobgoblin comes at them in melee.

2) I was going to propose a maneuver called Frustration that gives you some benefit if a maneuver you used rage dice on fails (either by missing, or by the target making a successful save.) Taking the damage on the rage dice you rolled to recover them might not be worth it, since rage dice are so easy to rack up. Dealing damage despite a miss/save might be too powerful, unless it's a small amount (1 or 2 per die spent, for instance.) This is a tough one. I just want the barbarian to feel the rage I do when I shove a whole bunch of resources into an attack that fails.

3) Angrying your way out of Hold Person would be very fun, I say as someone who was brought in as a guest star for a session and spent a third of it lying on the floor while the villain made every single concentration save. I do think the rage die should be added to your save. I would also suggest that it not be force damage, since that implies that mystical anger force is somehow hitting the person restraining you, rather than your rock-hard muscles.
    Last edited by Durazno; 2021-10-02 at 07:57 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by da newt View Post
    I really like the idea that you gain the resource by being damaged.
    I have always thought the Barb needed a BIG JUMP mechanic, and I really like the idea of wrestling a weapon out of an opponent's grip, and tossing grappled foes (change name to YEET).

One I would like to see added: PUNT - expend a die to perform a BA PUNT attack, damage is the rage die plus st/rage bonus and foe is PUNTed 5' for every point of damage if they are small, 5' for every 2 damage if med or large, 5' per 4 damage if bigger than large, and they land prone. (or something like that)
    Right!? Why don't they come with a Hulk leap?

Unfortunately, I think I might walk back the part where they get Rage Dice for being damaged. A friend of mine pointed out that if a Barb is tanking (like they should be, amirite) and taking multiple hits in a turn, they'll be at full Rage Dice every time their turn comes up, which defeats part of the mechanic's purpose. I like the idea that you can't do a rad Rage Dice move EVERY turn -- there's a nice rhythm to spending one or two turns making attacks to charge the Rage Dice, then once every 2-3 turns, you get to do something fun. And if they get Rage Dice on damage, that whole system kinda goes. If they have to do "Things" (TM) to get the dice, instead of getting them passively, then action economy will naturally dictate that they can't use these moves on every turn.

I love the Punt mechanic, ha ha. Maybe what I'll do is modify Giant Swing to account for the size category of the target -- that way they don't need to have multiple maneuvers that knock somebody away. But I DO like the feel of the Punt -- I'll workshop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    I love the Steel Tempest maneuver, but I think there should also be a lower level version, one that's just a regular spin attack rather than the hurricane spin.

The only problem I can see is that it doesn't feel quite Barbarian exclusive; a Fighter would almost certainly be able to do a regular spin attack, too.
    Agreed. I'm okay with there being a little overlap between Barb moves and Fighter moves; at the end of all this, I'm picturing Fighters as being able to tap into other classes (a wee bit) a la Magical Secrets but for maneuvers, because that seems like a thing Fighters should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Durazno View Post
    Three thoughts:

1) I think it's okay for some maneuvers to just make things happen without any uncertainty or drawback. Up and at 'Em could let you spend a rage die to spring to your feet, full stop, for instance. You might even allow Barbarians to use their reaction to get up off-turn, like if they were taking cover and a hobgoblin comes at them in melee.

2) I was going to propose a maneuver called Frustration that gives you some benefit if a maneuver you used rage dice on fails (either by missing, or by the target making a successful save.) Taking the damage on the rage dice you rolled to recover them might not be worth it, since rage dice are so easy to rack up. Dealing damage despite a miss/save might be too powerful, unless it's a small amount (1 or 2 per die spent, for instance.) This is a tough one. I just want the barbarian to feel the rage I do when I shove a whole bunch of resources into an attack that fails.

3) Angrying your way out of Hold Person would be very fun, I say as someone who was brought in as a guest star for a session and spent a third of it lying on the floor while the villain made every single concentration save. I do think the rage die should be added to your save. I would also suggest that it not be force damage, since that implies that mystical anger force is somehow hitting the person restraining you, rather than your rock-hard muscles.
    1) You're right; that's a good call.

2) Yeah, this is like what I was talking about in my response to da newt. If I take away the "get Rage Dice on being injured," hopefully that'll soothe it a little bit. I definitely dig the flavor of a move where the Barbarian is frustrated something didn't work, ha ha.

3) Sure, it doesn't have to be force damage -- it's hard in D&D to have a damage that just represents pure concussive force, since force damage implies magical energy. Maybe bludgeoning...? But yeah, I could see it working for paralysis. The image of the Barbarian making angry faces as they attempt to will their way out of the condition is too good to pass up.

25. - Top - End - #25

Right!? Why don't they come with a Hulk leap?

Unfortunately, I think I might walk back the part where they get Rage Dice for being damaged. A friend of mine pointed out that if a Barb is tanking (like they should be, amirite) and taking multiple hits in a turn, they'll be at full Rage Dice every time their turn comes up, which defeats part of the mechanic's purpose. I like the idea that you can't do a rad Rage Dice move EVERY turn -- there's a nice rhythm to spending one or two turns making attacks to charge the Rage Dice, then once every 2-3 turns, you get to do something fun. And if they get Rage Dice on damage, that whole system kinda goes. If they have to do "Things" (TM) to get the dice, instead of getting them passively, then action economy will naturally dictate that they can't use these moves on every turn.
    Easy fix: the first time you take damage each turn while raging, you gain a rage die.

Another potential fix: you can only have a number of rage die equal to your proficiency modifier. Which can also limit when you gain stronger maneuvers (you don't get a maneuver needing 3 dice until you have a proficiency bonus of three... Except built into the class tree, since multiclassing exists).

Although I'm also not opposed to Doing Things being the trigger. Not the least because it's entirely in the control of the character, not the DM. Look at how wizard players feel not being awarded scrolls. More importantly, are these intended to be useable outside combat? Because if so, then they will need out-of-combat ways to generate it.

In fact, if rogues and Barbarians are both getting maneuvers, they should have two ways to earn them, Combat Way, and Non-Combat-Way.

Or keep it like fighters have and make it just via resting. Which is both the simpler and the more boring option. But simpler is a strong argument in this edition.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Howl
    Execution Time: Instantaneous
    Range: See Text
    Req: Critically hit or drop your opponent
    Duration: See Text

After you critically hit or drop your opponent you yell out a scream. Expend a rage die. All enemies within 10 ft of you who can hear your scream must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC = 8 + your ST modifier + proficiency bonus) or become frightened of you. Creatures remain frightened of you until you attack an opponent and miss. For each additional rage die you expend increase the range by 10 ft.

Heroic Flex

After you critically hit or drop your opponent you flex your muscles. Expend a rage die. All allies within 30 ft who can see you gain temporary hit points equal to the roll of your rage die plus your ST modifier. Each additional rage die spent increases the temporary hit points gained by the rolled amount.
    Last edited by Pex; 2021-10-03 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

This is probably overpowered and really needs some clarification but whatever

Punch Yeet
    Req: Deal bludgeoning damage against a creature
    When you hit a creature, you may expend one Rage die to hurl it backwards up to 5 feet. The creature breaks obstacles in it's path that are less than 1 foot thick without loss of momentum. For each additional Rage Dice you spend, you increase the distance by 5 feet.
    Last edited by TigerT20; 2021-10-04 at 06:39 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Imp

Easy fix: the first time you take damage each turn while raging, you gain a rage die.

Another potential fix: you can only have a number of rage die equal to your proficiency modifier. Which can also limit when you gain stronger maneuvers (you don't get a maneuver needing 3 dice until you have a proficiency bonus of three... Except built into the class tree, since multiclassing exists).

Although I'm also not opposed to Doing Things being the trigger. Not the least because it's entirely in the control of the character, not the DM. Look at how wizard players feel not being awarded scrolls. More importantly, are these intended to be useable outside combat? Because if so, then they will need out-of-combat ways to generate it.

In fact, if rogues and Barbarians are both getting maneuvers, they should have two ways to earn them, Combat Way, and Non-Combat-Way.

Or keep it like fighters have and make it just via resting. Which is both the simpler and the more boring option. But simpler is a strong argument in this edition.
    Number of Rage Dice equal to prof modifier is way simpler than whatever I was envisioning - thank you for that.

Yeah, I was thinking about non-combat, too. For rogues, it's easy. Make a Sleight of Hand check that beats an NPC's Perception; make a Deception check that beats an NPC's Insight; make a Stealth check that beats an NPC's Perception. They're basically designed around taking advantage of other people out of combat, so it's easy to toss ribbons on them that get them Cunning Dice, or whatever. But Barbs? Yeesh.

They have to reduce an object to 0 hit points? But then they could just snap some twigs, right. Or maybe the same way some DMs allow Barbarians to punch themselves to stay in Rage, a Barb can punch themselves out-of-combat to get a Rage Die, take 1 + Str mod bludgeoning damage, resistance/immunity doesn't apply. So you CAN use them out of combat, but you're sort of incentivized not to, because it's SO much easier to use them in combat while you're hitting things.

You're right, of course -- rest is the easy answer, and simplicity is key. I feel like "meter" is my holy grail of design, ha ha -- I'm the guy who hoards spells/maneuvers until right before the rest, so I want to make the system feel liberating. "You don't have to hoard, because you're getting another one in a couple of turns anyway." But then that will rub the nova crowd the wrong way: "I should be able to nova all of my short/long rest abilities in 2 turns if I want, and THAT'S MY RIGHT." But I'm definitely keeping rests as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Howl
    Range: See Text
    Duration: See Text

After you critically hit or drop your opponent you yell out a scream. Expend a rage die. All enemies within 10 ft of you who can hear your scream must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC = 8 + your ST modifier + proficiency bonus) or become frightened of you. Creatures remain frightened of you until you attack an opponent and miss. For each additional rage die you expend increase the range by 10 ft.

Heroic Flex

After you critically hit or drop your opponent you flex your muscles. Expend a rage die. All allies within 30 ft who can see you gain temporary hit points equal to the roll of your rage die plus your ST modifier. Each additional rage die spent increases the temporary hit points gained by the rolled amount.
    Pex! These are amazing! I love the image of the Barbarian, stooped over their kill, wrenching their axe free from the carcass...

...only to turn and face the party with a bodybuilder flex, like "LET'S GO GET 'EM, CREW!!" And then everyone cheers, ha ha. It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerT20 View Post
    This is probably overpowered and really needs some clarification but whatever

Punch Yeet
    Req: Deal bludgeoning damage against a creature
    When you hit a creature, you may expend one Rage die to hurl it backwards up to 5 feet. The creature breaks obstacles in it's path that are less than 1 foot thick without loss of momentum. For each additional Rage Dice you spend, you increase the distance by 5 feet.
    Don't worry about the clarification stuff, like I said, this is all brainstorming. Awesome maneuver! I think what I might do is split Giant Swing into two sub-abilities (like how some spells have two possible functions), a lob shot and a straight shot. The lob shot can move the creature over obstacles, while the straight shot can smash them THROUGH obstacles, in the manner of your ability.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't have a maneuver to add (sadness) but this thread is pure gold. I love it!

I don't play barbarians (ever), but this makes me want to.

30. - Top - End - #30

Tavern Tricks

When you are in a barroom brawl, you may break an improvised weapon (such as a stool, bench, or platter) over someone's head. Instead of doing damage you may spend a rage die to either knock your target unconscious or stun him for a round.

Your DM may permit you to do this in other situations that make sense, but in a combat that poses actual challenge then stun will be the only option you may use.