New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 217181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1245 - The Discussion Thread

If Hilgya's argument worked, wouldn't there be a huge incentive for Loki to seek dwarven followers, rather than having almost no presence in dwarven lands? His attitude looks like he ignores the dwarves because the intersection between people that would follow him and the people that would die honourably is very small.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    If Hilgya's argument worked, wouldn't there be a huge incentive for Loki to seek dwarven followers, rather than having almost no presence in dwarven lands? His attitude looks like he ignores the dwarves because the intersection between people that would follow him and the people that would die honourably is very small.
    I always read it as he can't/isn't allowed to visit the Dwarves and give them this revelation, which is why he needs a Hilgya cleric to go spread this gospel. Probably he missed his chance at the beginning when they were establishing lore about the Northern Pantheon to make it look like the bet wasn't a double play by him, and Thor took the opportunity to tell them about the Bet. So he's been waiting for a Hilgya to come along. Especially as her logic mostly works for Clerics of Loki, not just ordinary followers.

"Nothing more honorable for a cleric than living your god's truth." emphasis mine.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

3. - Top - End - #783
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    Why will new clerics know that? We've got plenty of people IN THIS THREAD willing to believe an obviously delusional character because "she must know better", so the new clerics believe the old clerics, they accept the same arguments YOU ARE GIVING.

No actual reward is ever needed given suckers who'll accept the existence of a reward on faith.

And in any case, you still get the power in THIS life, you are at worst no worse off than any other dead evil guy, so why not be a cleric of an evil god? What exactly is the downside when you're an evil person?
    New cleric doesn't need to believe the word of the old ones, they have spells to know the truth by themselfs.

4. - Top - End - #784

HalflingRogueGuy

Then he would be a terrible dad.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nah, I can see how that could be read. My fault for not writing it better.
    In fairness, eternity in an awful queue a la Futurama's Central Bureaucracy would be a pretty... good isn't the right word... apropos afterlife for LE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

6. - Top - End - #786

Quote Originally Posted by Vikenlugaid View Post
    Then he would be a terrible dad.
    Ask Hel what she thinks of his parenting skills.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

7. - Top - End - #787

HalflingRogueGuy

Ask Hel what she thinks of his parenting skills.
    Hel doesn't know. Loki would have sided with her if it wasn't for the thing with the Dark one and the snarl. He actually care about her, and hate Thor. He doesn't want her dead, which could totally happens if he evangeliced the dwarves.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    In fairness, eternity in an awful queue a la Futurama's Central Bureaucracy would be a pretty... good isn't the right word... apropos afterlife for LE.
    You are technically cortect. The best kind of correct! Maybe that's how Mechanus works out for 'em.
    Hel doesn't know. Loki would have sided with her if it wasn't for the thing with the Dark one and the snarl. He actually care about her, and hate Thor. He doesn't want her dead, which could totally happens if he evangeliced the dwarves.
    I'm sure that's a great comfort to her as she starves.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #789
    Spamalot in the Playground

If Hilgyas loophole only works for clerics of Loki then it's actually pretty brilliant for both Loki AND Hel. Encourage a bunch of dwarves to behave dishonorably, the ones who actually become clerics go join Loki for bottle service, the ones who stay in the laity are swindled go to "pumpkin." More dwarves skimmed off for the two of them, while the bulk get split among the other 16 as before.

And that's to say nothing of the clerics who fail to uphold his teachings and fall through the cracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #790

HalflingRogueGuy

You are technically cortect. The best kind of correct! Maybe that's how Mechanus works out for 'em.

I'm sure that's a great comfort to her as she starves.
    That's is like saying is better to die in the war than survive and have hunger after.
    And I dont think she really starve that much, if dwarves who died by accident, or growing old, or disease, go to Hel even if they are good, she should have enough souls.

11. - Top - End - #791

That's is like saying is better to die in the war than survive and have hunger after.
    And I dont think she really starve that much, if dwarves who died by accident, or growing old, or disease, go to Hel even if they are good, she should have enough souls.
    Hel being displeased with Loki's parenting job, specifically due to the bet: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1176.html

Loki seriously suspecting she won't survive a transition between worlds, specifically due to the bet: https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1177.html

If you want to continue believing that she doesn't think he's a terrible dad, and also that she's more or less fine except being hungry, feel free.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    If Hilgyas loophole only works for clerics of Loki then it's actually pretty brilliant for both Loki AND Hel. Encourage a bunch of dwarves to behave dishonorably, the ones who actually become clerics go join Loki for bottle service, the ones who stay in the laity are swindled go to "pumpkin." More dwarves skimmed off for the two of them, while the bulk get split among the other 16 as before.

And that's to say nothing of the clerics who fail to uphold his teachings and fall through the cracks.
    And everyone gets a share! (Milo Minderbender; Catch-22)
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #793

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And everyone gets a share! (Milo Minderbender; Catch-22)
    The thing I loved best about Milo Minderbender was how he earnestly believed what he was selling.

Even when he was selling chocolate covered cotton.

Wait, what does this have to do with Hilgya?
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-10-15 at 10:05 AM.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I fully support any deviation into Catch-22 as a perfectly valid alternative to Star Wars.
    This space for rent.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dmc91356 View Post
    I fully support any deviation into Catch-22 as a perfectly valid alternative to Star Wars.
    It's the first movie I remember seeing Martin Sheen in. (Dobbs was his character).
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    She laid out her reasons to not let the paladins interfere, and they didn't include "my defences will do the trick", which suggests this was not something she thought. Serini said "No more conflict means no more chance of the gate being destroyed either accidently or as some sort of misguided sacrifice", she didn't say "if you weren't here you couldn't compromise my defences". While she didn't explicitly say that she wasn't banking on her defences, she did all but.

As you point out, this means that would have been a good idea to let the paladins interfere - they create another line of defence. Which is essentially my main point.

Can I ask again - what is there in the comic which you think indicates Serini is reliant on her defences?
    Just noticed another comment from Serini which I think suggests that she doesn't have much confidence in her defences. That is her final comment in 1189, where she says existing was fun well it lasted. That's not consistent with her thinking her defences would turn Xykon away, and is consistent with her thinking Xykon would prevail against her defences.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

Just noticed another comment from Serini which I think suggests that she doesn't have much confidence in her defences.
    Yeah. But she's not going to let (what she sees as) disaster happen without a fight.

18. - Top - End - #798

Just noticed another comment from Serini which I think suggests that she doesn't have much confidence in her defences. That is her final comment in 1189, where she says existing was fun well it lasted. That's not consistent with her thinking her defences would turn Xykon away, and is consistent with her thinking Xykon would prevail against her defences.
    It probably speaks more to her confidence in her abilities to stop the Gate from getting destroyed. I don't think she yet knows that a victory by Xykon will lead just as directly to the end of existence as the good guys keeping him from winning would. So it's something more like "I've stopped these two paladins, but clearly heroes know where the final Gate is and I can't move it, so one of them is going to get through and break it eventually."

(Granted, putting treasure in her dungeon probably isn't helping matters.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

I suspect they aren't actually "her" dungeons and the traps just reroute people to a bunch of random dungeons across the Material. Otherwise, how'd they have items?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I suspect they aren't actually "her" dungeons and the traps just reroute people to a bunch of random dungeons across the Material. Otherwise, how'd they have items?

That's just the way of things

21. - Top - End - #801

It probably speaks more to her confidence in her abilities to stop the Gate from getting destroyed. I don't think she yet knows that a victory by Xykon will lead just as directly to the end of existence as the good guys keeping him from winning would. So it's something more like "I've stopped these two paladins, but clearly heroes know where the final Gate is and I can't move it, so one of them is going to get through and break it eventually."
    That's the exact thing I was planning to say!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-10-19 at 11:03 AM.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Ogre in the Playground

(Granted, putting treasure in her dungeon probably isn't helping matters.)
    Maybe they were supposed to be weapons caches for her or her more intelligent monsters, in case they ran out of consumable gear. It's only "treasure in a dungeon" because someone else is stealing it.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

23. - Top - End - #803

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    A bunch of random dungeons on the Material... that all also happen to be made of multidimensional stone? And are all capable of challenging an epic level party?

Not impossible, but strains credulity.

That's the exact thing I was planning to say!
    I suspect however that you wouldn't agree with my conclusion that "teaming up with the most powerful and successful heroes to come along is a better decision than stalling indefinitely while Team Evil gets stronger."

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Maybe they were supposed to be weapons caches for her or her more intelligent monsters, in case they ran out of consumable gear. It's only "treasure in a dungeon" because someone else is stealing it.
    Seems to me that using monsters that don't need gear at all would be the ideal approach.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #804

I suspect however that you wouldn't agree with my conclusion that "teaming up with the most powerful and successful heroes to come along is a better decision than stalling indefinitely while Team Evil gets stronger."
    I totally agree with that assessment. To the best of my knowledge, I never indicated that I didn't.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems to me that using monsters that don't need gear at all would be the ideal approach.
    Any monster that doesn't use gear can be made stronger by giving it gear, QED.

26. - Top - End - #806

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Any monster that doesn't use gear can be made stronger by giving it gear, QED.
    You could do that with templates or advancement too, and those can't be looted by their killers. Put the monsters on a treadmill, feed them drugs, get ethically dubious mages to experiment on them, anything but giving them wearable items - especially custom ones!
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

I mean like, heck, even the Draketooth Pyramid had traps that buffed the summoned monsters.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #808

SwashbucklerGuy

So, weird theory that probably isn't true: all the loot in the fake dungeons is sabotaged. Cursed items exist in dnd, and we've seen from Malack's Mass Death Ward that codewords can be built into magic. So Serini could give intruders a ring of immunity to fire, for example, and then when they get to the real dungeon, shut it off right as they confidently walk through a pit of lava.

29. - Top - End - #809

If she fooled Xykon with cursed boots then I'll definitely offer up an apology. He's usually savvy on the magic item front though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #810
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Maybe the reason its full of loot isn't because Serini used her precious money to leave extremely valuable things lying around, but because theyre owned by the monsters inside?
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.