New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Default Fighting Style: Cleaving

Fighting Style: Cleaving (available to Fighters and Paladins)
    When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack and reduce it to 0 hit points, you may cleave into another creature within range. If the initial attack roll would hit the second creature's armor class, you can spend your reaction to deal the weapon's damage to that creature.

----

Thoughts? I feel like it's swingier than, say, dueling, but has the capacity to be better or worse depending on the situation. Also, the intent is to have the cleave damage be a second roll that wouldn't include, say, smites or maneuver dice. I'd like to know how clear that is as written.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fighting Style: Cleaving

Quote Originally Posted by traskomancer View Post
    Fighting Style: Cleaving (available to Fighters and Paladins)
    When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack and reduce it to 0 hit points, you may cleave into another creature within range. If the initial attack roll would hit the second creature's armor class, you can spend your reaction to deal the weapon's damage to that creature.

----

Thoughts? I feel like it's swingier than, say, dueling, but has the capacity to be better or worse depending on the situation. Also, the intent is to have the cleave damage be a second roll that wouldn't include, say, smites or maneuver dice. I'd like to know how clear that is as written.
    It's clear.

It's also not something I would ever use. Even if you're in a fight with tons of mooks, it's a little worse than +1 attack per round, assuming every single turn you kill a mook.

What I would do is make it so you can use your reaction to Cleave into another target REGARDLESS of if you killed them, and make it not require a reaction if you did kill them.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

In 5e, things like Feats and Fighting Styles should have both a mechanical hook and a narrative one.

I don't see a good narrative hook here. Just mechanics.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2021-10-06 at 02:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

So like
    Dervish Dance
    Once per turn when you hit a target with a one handed weapon that deals slashing damage, you can deal 2 damage to another target within reach.