New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers: a wfrp 2e game

Gimgroth | 16/16 Wounds | 0/2 Fortune
    Gimgroth sees an Orc's choppa go behind Wighard's shield and the man slump to the ground and a whole new fresh white hot rage overcomes the dwarf. It is the rage of a dwarf deprived of honor. COME AND DIE ON MY AXE YOU PIG-FACED FILTHY BEASTS. YOUR MOTHERS WOULD HAVE DONE THE WORLD A FAVOUR FOR DYING WITH YOU STILL IN THE WOMB.
    He then unleashing a torrent of attacks on the orc that had felled Wighard.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Full action: Swift Attacks
    WSvs72 - (1d100)[69]
    Impact - (2d10)[8][1](9) highest +5 on hit.
    WSvs72 - (1d100)[29]
    Impact - (2d10)[10][3](13) highest +5 on hit.

FuryConfirm - (1d100)[59] if needed
    FuryDamage - (3d10)[9][3][2](14)

Spoiler: Defensive Rolls if needed
    Show

ParryVs62 - (1d100)[32]
    Dodge - (1d100)[64]

2. - Top - End - #452
    Troll in the Playground

the orc will attempt a parry on grimgoths chop

(1d100)[99]

assuming that is successful, he'll attempt attacks

(2d100)[96][78](174)

(2d10)[9][8](17) (+5)

the orc is toast
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-04-19 at 03:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

the orc, seeing itself the only one still breathing on its side (that it knows of) will do a runner

we are outta combat, take 200 xp each

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

In a rage Gimgroth shoots a crossbow bolt at the fleeing orc. As he sees his bolt slam into the back of the enemy Gimgroth's mental faculties return to him and he knees to check on the *dead* Wighard. And my honor dies with him he mutters as he bends over his charge's limp body.
    Show

Quick Draw -Ready crossbow as free action
    Rapid Reload - 1/2 action load.
    Fire - 1/2 action
    BSvs46 - (1d100)[21]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[11]

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis whirls around on instinct, and two goblin arrows slam into his shield; a third banging loudly off his shoulder plate and shivering his armor. He looks to Emil, an arrow hanging out of him already, and gives him a nod - a gesture that probably means something like "stay here where it's safer, I'm covered in steel". And then he's off, surging with long strides into the moving brush where the goblins must be, long strides flying him while the sound of Gimgroth's furious roaring rings out behind.

The knight's desire for reprisal will not be quenched, however; the thrashes about for a while only to discover the goblins have long gone, and sourly realizes they have fled entirely. He takes a moment to check on the shining thing - probably a distraction to pave the way for the ambush they just endured - and to displace it, depending on what it is; after which he trudges back to the wagons, retreives his lance, checks on wounded Abelhard, and rejoins the group.

"Gone. The archers fled." He reports, then grimaces deeply to see the massacred wagon driver first, and the still, pale Wighard on the ground. Helpless in this moment, for all his arms and armor gives him, he can only look to Emil: arrowstruck himself, but still the most capable of rendering the best assessment of the terrible scenario, be it fatal or merely greivous.

Unless…

“Siobhan!”
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-04-19 at 05:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Siobhan rushes over. “Well that’s not good” she chirps, and puts her hands over his chest. A radiant glow suffuses wighard, and he coughs and awakens

(1d100)[18]

(2d10)[5][2](7)

Wighard is at 5 wounds
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-04-19 at 05:37 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis watches this miracle with an expression that is deeply mixed relief… and sorrow. He is glad for the obvious restoration to Wighard’s body…

…but the power manifestation, the confirmation of it, jostles some unspoken fear which the knight’s eyes do a poor job of hiding from his companions.
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-04-19 at 06:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

Emil's eyes widened at the display of Siobhan's abilities. "...Huh," he only managed, not sure what to say to that.

He was no foe of magic, especially when it was used to heal rather than harm, but like most Old Worlders, he preferred to have as little to do with it as possible. He sat down on a boulder to carefully pry the arrow out of his chest, trying not damage any organs that it may have missed on the way in. He then began patching himself up to the best of his abilities. The arrow had gone deep and he had lost a considerable amount of blood, but his breathing was normal and it did not appear that a lung had been punctured.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal 63: (d100)[50]
    Fortune: (d100)[77]

Wounds regained: (d10)[6]

I'm ready to provide healing to anyone else who requires it.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2022-04-19 at 08:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

Can I get a search roll for the bodies, and a d100 roll otherwise?

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Sir bertelis
    Show
    you find a ring with a grinning skull on the top

Spoiler: Emil
    Show
    the recent arrow wound has hampered your concentration, however you do find an ouroboros coin in orcs pocket. It’s roughly the size of a pocket watch and appears to be pure gold

The rest of you find nothing of value

11. - Top - End - #461
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard starts back awake, then recognises the flow of magic from Siobhan and slowly and unsteadily gets up.

Um Thank you

There is still evidence of a deep slash just above his wrist but it has mostly closed over and the bleeding from his bicep has stopped.

Is there anyone in worse shape than me?

He looks at the cart driver

Well I am afraid there is nothing I can do for him

With Emil self-catering he attends to himself, Bertelis and Adélard

Show

Self
    (1d100)[60] 61
    (1d10)[9]

Bertelis
    (1d100)[48] 61
    (1d10)[9]

Adélard
    (1d100)[58] 61
    (1d10)[8]

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

In the search, Bertelis finds a couple of small objects about which he can discern nothing; but puts them in a pouch for later discussion with the group. He's barely injured, so the risen Wighard's medicine is barely needed; just a looking over where an arrow bashed his chain mail, and later that night, a typical leeching of the bruise. Adélard is in much worse shape; the spider bit him good, but didn't have time to really pump in its poison. A cleaning of the wound and a prescription of light duty for the next day will sort him out.

While Wighard tends the wounds of the others after this, Bertelis accomplishes two things. He wraps the body of the poor driver in a sheet from the caravan, stowing it as one more grim piece of cargo, checking in with the merchant and having a short, mournful conversation about the loss. Without the efforts of their group, which almost killed and seriously injured another of them, the caravan would be wiped out and all with it would be in the goblins' cooking pot by nightfall; but it was still awful to lose someone, perhaps someone who had served the merchant in this capacity for some time. He assures the merchant leader that one of their number is a capable driver, and will likely be able to stand in for the duration of the journey.

The other thing is a moment aside, speaking to Siobhan; asking her discreetly: "...That is quite a gift, Siobhan. How long have you been able to do this thing? Do you... know by what means you do it?"

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

“Six months to a year” Siobhan chirps, wiping her hands on the forge leathers. To the second question she shrugs “Honestly I’m not sure. It feels good when I work magic though” she gets up and grins “anything else you guys need to know?”

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis frowns at the girl's chipper attitude. The gloom of the fatal violence still dwells in him, and translates into fear, and warnings for future terrors. "...Be very careful, Siobhan. There are some in this world who would have no fear or concern for this thing; but there are... cruel and difficult people who would object on principle. If you were to perform such magics within the eyesight of a witch hunter..."

Then what? They'd have to defend her, kill a templar of Sigmar, and flee to Bretonnia, waiting for a man in a tall, wide brimmed leather hat to spring out from behind a potplant at any given moment for the rest of time?

"...Just... careful."

Show
    I think Gimgroth might want a chance to react to the miraculous healing; after that, I think we're ready to move on!

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth was fumbling at Wighard's wounds when Siobhan performed her miracle. The dwarf was a bit stunned by the power on display. He shook his head against the use of magical forces beyond his understanding. But offered a hand to Wighard to pull the man to his feet.
    Later he overheard Bertellis's discussion with the girl and added. Messing with forces beyond nature itself can have dangerous consequences. Don't use magic unless your life depends on it.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

***** Later... *****

Later, on the road when Gimgroth's capable hands are holding the reins once held by the deceased driver and the recovering injured parties Emil and Wighard are riding on the wagon's driving bench with him, Bertelis pulls up along side. Siobhan riding inside one of the wagons with the chatty merchants now, Bertelis sits in the saddle of his sleek black rouncey Rainier, giving the warhorse Adelhard as light a load as possible, as he recovers from his own war wounds. But the arrangement offers some relative privacy, for the four men; just as well, for the topic at hand.

"...Siobhan, then. It is as a feared. She has the witching touch. When I lifted my prayers to the Lady of the Lake, when we first delved into the mine after finding her, the Lady spoke to me in warm whispers; and told me that Siobhan was important. Worthy of protecting. I hoped it was for some reason other than such a double-edged gift; but we must consider what ought come for her, now. Here in the Hammer-lands, if she does not become college bound, there will be much trouble in the future; and maybe either way. In Bretonnia... Given the Lady's favor, she may have a path - to be vanished away into the keeping of the damsels, to emerge as one of them some time later. But such women are..."

He trails off shaking his head with uncertainty.

"I do not know. We must all think on this. We all accepted that we may have to defend her from the evil that evil men do; but now, we may be counting the days until we must protect her from the evil that good men do."

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    No responses required; just wanted to log Bertelis confessing the Lady's message, and to foreshadow what I think is an inevitable reckoning someone interested in her powers! But anyone can chime in. Bramble, feel free to move the scene along anyway.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

The company of the burning slug arrives in talabheim, on the tail end of a nasty case of Pygmy chills that seems to have infected the city. the party is allowed in after a thorough check by a plague doctor, and are directed to the laughing hyena, an inn that has not been hit too hard with the nasty disease. the smell of burning flesh is strong as you walk past a pyre outside of the wizards way. time to invest in some masks anyone?

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Between Siobhan's attention and his own ministrations Wighard looks a lot better, almost uncannily so

Yeah damn right she needs to be discreet about it.

However there is some good news, I did not serve my apprenticeship in Altdorf, I was apprenticed into the Sub-Order of Aetius affiliated to the Light College.

Their ethos is that if you learn practical medicine you should need to use less magic and be more effective when you have to.

This is why I spent my apprenticeship travelling doing field medicine and battlefield surgery and not confined to a college running chores and polishing my wand.

So I have a passably legitimate reason to have her under my protection especially if I have written to my superiors to let them know what it is up.

If anyone asks I am conducting her to the wizardly authorities in accordance with Imperial Law

he grimaces

But it is better if no one asks...

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis looks at the pyre in dismay, murmuring to his companions.

“I do not care to sleep in recently plagued quarters. But we cannot sleep on the streets or be struck for vagrancy; and if we go back out the wizard’s way and camp in the wilds there are other dangers. And they will levy the fee on both ends of the tunnel again and again.”

He looks up at the sky, and takes a guess how much daylight they have left…

Spoiler
    Show
    Do we have time to visit Bertelis’s family friend before nightfall?

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Let me stop off a few places

Wighard stocks up on a few supplies for poultices, bandages and the like, as well as four healing draughts and 5 small broaches with the insignia of the company on them - the latter he expects to pick up tomorrow.

The actual herbs he needs for Pygmy Chill he doesn't expect to have a huge markup - because people will buy almost everything else to combat a plague except what actually works

Have you met this friend of your fathers?

Show
    20 gc from the common fund for the draughts
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-04-21 at 12:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Troll in the Playground

sir bertelis leads the company of the burning slug to a two-story townhouse in the richer part of town, a six-foot iron fence is around the property to ward off trespassers, and a gate leads into the property. the gate is shut, and a sign hangs on the gate "unless i know you, dont bother knocking"

Spoiler: wighard
    Show
    the herbs cost a few pennies, and are reasonably fresh

Spoiler: sir bertelis
    Show
    tell me, was Baudouin always this paranoid?

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    sir bertelis leads the company of the burning slug to a two-story townhouse in the richer part of town, a six-foot iron fence is around the property to ward off trespassers, and a gate leads into the property. the gate is shut, and a sign hangs on the gate "unless i know you, dont bother knocking"

Spoiler: wighard
    Show
    the herbs cost a few pennies, and are reasonably fresh

Spoiler: sir bertelis
    Show
    tell me, was Baudouin always this paranoid?
    Bertelis blinks at the gate, perhaps surprised to find it shut; and his eyes narrow in suspicion at the sign. He reaches out to lift the shingle a little as if to test that it is real, before letting it flap back against the iron of the gate. "...Unusual for Baudoin to be so protective, and paranoid. I have known him to be quite sanguine." He thumps the gate with one hand, causing its loud rattle to, hopefully, alert whatever gate guard is nearby, if any. "Hey! Hail, the gate! Sir Bertelis Roche and company, here to see the master of the house!"

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

the door opens and Baudouin comes out, blinking a little. "ah sir bertelis, come in, come in" he calls, and unlatches the gate. "i haven't seen you since you were knee-high to that red pony you used to ride!" he chuckles and lets you all in. "horses go in the stable out back. i should have enough rooms for all of you. esfir is returning with some provisions for dinner"

you are comfortably ensconced in quarters that would be lavish to anyone not used to merchant life, and soon enough the dinner bell rings. servants scuttle around, bringing out dishes for the party. siobhan stares goggle-eyed at the amount of food that is being prepared. "do you like it?" Baudouin chuckles. he pops a decanter of brandy open and pours glasses for everyone at the table. "to my brother's son's return!" he barks, and tosses back the glass.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    can i get a consume alcohol test at +10 for everyone?

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard will keep unusually quiet for him, self-consciously aware that he is out of his usual comfort zone and letting Sir Bertelis do the talking.

Show

(1d100)[77] Consume Alcohol 50/2 +10 = 30

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis is happy to talk to Baudouin; happier than he has been in any time the others in the company have known him, probably. This is not surprising, since they lurch from funeral to disaster to funeral again as a basic pattern; but still. A non-trivial percentage of the Bretonnians' discussion is about horses. The trader seems to know Rainier and Adelhard, is alarmed and then relieved to hear about the spider attack and Adelard's injury and recovery, and offers to check over the wound, without altogether disparaging the job already done. It becomes quickly apparent that Baudouin was a petty nobleman like Bertelis is, who expatriated to start a new life after he married a petty Kislevite noblewoman, Esfir. They carved a comfortable life together out of the promise of Talabheim, trading expertise on horses on his part and kvas floated down river from her family in Kislev, on hers. The fact that this makes Baudouin a money-man does not seem to occur to Bertelis at all. Eventually, he gets to the point.

"I must confess, Baudouin; I was asked to come check on you and Esfir. I know Talabheim was not breached in the invasion, so I did not strongly fear for you; but there is a spirit of... worry, in your home. Is there some matter that threatens you..?"

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

"i recieved a letter in the mail from your father" Baudouin responds and passes bertelis a letter. it reads in looping script

dear Baudouin, if you get this message, know that it is urgent that bertelis not return home. your mother has been struck by a strange affliction which has rendered her mute, and i fear it has a nefarious origin. you see, a trader visited recently, and soon after, people fell ill. none died, but all were affected in various ways

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

“Deanna is ill?” The young knight murmurs as he reads, blindsided by this reversal of revelations. It was like his father to refer to the woman he has married second as “your mother”, even if Bertelis couldn’t. The woman who had been mother to Bertelis and his brothers was dead as the price of mothering; and Deanna, though gentle and kind, was too young to be credibly maternal to the boys. Yet he did not relish hearing of this ailment.

“…A disease of suspect origin. I… must have faith that they will do their utmost against it.”

He does not sound convinced. He sounds like a man convincing himself not to walk outside, get on his horse, and ride directly back into the nebulously plagued homestead he has been warned not to return to.

“…A terrible doubling of plagues, between this and the one having just come through this city. Is that why your gates bear such hostile signage..?”
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2022-04-22 at 05:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard does his best to focus on the discussion, particularly about mysterious infections, but is feeling rather drowsy

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth having denied any accommodations can barely see over his goblet to the rest of the diners at the table. He gives himself over fully to the bountiful plates before him drinking generously of the offered brandy. Occassionally he makes an exaggerated face of delight to Siobhan and winks before taking another large bite of the fine meat being offered. He barely catches the dialogue between Bertellis and Baudouin considering it personal matters.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

He sets the letter down on the table, and resolves to ask Wighard if he has ever heard of such a strange and varied disease, once he has gathered his own thoughts on the matter. He shakes his head a little to collect his bewildered thoughts.

"Ah... Forgive me, Baudouin. I will need to process these thoughts, for a while. I had come here expecting you were going to impress upon my companions and I some kind of quest; not that you would be the bearer of such news. Tomorrow, we can go to Holler's Corner and see about sword-work, if there is any above board."

The meal all but finished at this point, the words have the timbre of departure to them; the knight ready to collect his rueful thoughts and take them back to his room at the inn, but giving his countryman the opportunity to bring up another matter if he has one in the quiver.