New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers: a wfrp 2e game

Wighard surveys the scene

Man, they'd struggle to find 25 crowns and we'd be taking the one horse in town.

I'd almost feel guilty for succeeding

He checks into the inn, says his goodbyes to the crew and tips a few shimmies to have them unload his cargo - making a slight fuss over the dummy crates and nothing about the real ones

Siobhan, stay here and keep watch
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-05-04 at 11:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Troll in the Playground

wighard walks into the inn. a large layabout is currently asleep on the counter, snoring his fool head off. the stench is horrendous in here, something between curdled milk and rotten flesh

the rest of you see a single man walking out of the stone tower heading towards you. he is tall and straight-backed, with a streak of white in his hair. as he gets within speaking range he says, "ah, welcome to westvein. may i invite you to stay in master armarta's guest rooms? he has enough for all of you"

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Though Bertelis’s training with Siobhan’s riding hasn’t advanced past “hold on and don’t fall off”, he leaves Rainier in her care. If something attacks, both horse and girl have a better chance of surviving together. But the scene of the village is grim and alarming, to say the least; and he nods at Wighard’s assessment.

“They will surely need to appeal to the charity of their Lord, and neighbouring villages. An awful state.”

When the man comes from the stone tower, rather than the inn, he raises an eyebrow. “Those quarters will likely suit, good man. But at the same time, we are here concerning reports of a dog-headed beast causing grief to this village. Is it to blame for the general desolation of the place?”

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

'the dog-headed beast is to blame for these atrocities, yes" the man says, and introduces himself as andric delb, the keeper of the tower. "unfortunately, master armata is out hunting the beast, but he should be back by nightfall"

assuming you agree to his hospitality, he sets you all up in the second floor of the tower, in four sturdy rooms with a second bed for siobhan hastily lugged in by a burly manservant. there are beautiful tapestries of the battles the empire has faced and survived. the first floor is a sumptuous great hall with a small fireplace and cooking hearth off to one side, chairs and stools sit around the table with some snacks to munch on, mostly cheese and some bread.

the house staff, consisting of two maids, the manservant, andric, the cook, the stable-hands and the serving boy, are congenial and generally happy to have visitors around. andric will suggest you get some sleep as master armata entertains late
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-05-04 at 07:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard will accept the offered hospitality, however, Duly noted but I don't feel tired yet thank you. What can you tell us about the beast?
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-05-05 at 07:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard will be polite but firm in his questioning

When did the beast arrive?

When did it first attack?

Does it attack at a certain time? By day? By night?

Who has seen it?

Has anyone ever hurt it?

Distressing but I have to ask this, does it eat who it kills?

Master Armata prefers to hunt it in the afternoon?

After that he will put his armour back on and take a stroll around the village with whoever wants to accompany him except Siobhan

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

1. the beast was spotted roughly two months prior

2 & 3. the beast attacked three weeks prior to arrival, but only at night, and usually when people are alone

4. several people have seen the beast. the only thing the witnesses can agree on is red eyes and preternatural cunning

5. those who have hurt it describe hitting a brick wall. it has thick muscles and is hard to damage

6. nobody has found the corpses of those it drags off

7. master armata had a lead given by a local woodsmen. he said there was a gulley which reeked of death

8. - Top - End - #548
    Troll in the Playground

What's the cause of so many fresh graves if not the beast?

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

"there was a raid on the town by river pirates a week ago" andric says

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Truly you are an unfortunate community.

We can only hope the river-wardens bring them to the justice they deserve

We may speak to this woodsman?
    Last edited by wilphe; 2022-05-08 at 10:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

andric steeples his fingers. "he's currently hallucinating with fever, but you can try to speak to him"

the woodsman is strapped to the bed. he's mumbling feverishly, and he doesnt look so good
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-05-09 at 01:08 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard takes a look at the woodsman, Why is he strapped down?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[29] Heal v 61 for diagnosis and possible treatment

(1d100)[65] Academic Knowledge/Magic 51 for whatever is going on (he suspects were creatures)

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

"he had a bite mark on his thigh" andric explains, and shows it to you. it appears to be an animal bite, but badly infected, and weeping green pus

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed, from the beast or some other animal?

You fear the rage?

Has he received any treatment? Does he have any kin here?

Wighard examines the bite

Show
    Rage=Rabies

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis seems content to follow Wighard's lead on what has rapidly become a medical mystery. His only interjection is to insist...

"I will bed down in the stable, near my horses. Much as I appreciate a finer bed, I would be... more than crestfallen, if my beasts were attacked in the night and I was too far to leap to their protection."

After that, he follows Wighard in his investigations; eying the weeping wound with some muted disgust, and adding.

"A bite on the thigh...? Odd. If it were wolves, there would be many more bites; worst around the wrists, ankles and neck. A strike to the thigh like this is strange - like the predatory struck once, scored its bite, and then fled. Perhaps the woodsman put up more of a struggle than most of the creature's prey?"

He offers this, but sounds unconvinced even by his own words.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Troll in the Playground

"aye, we fear the rage" andric says. he will leave you with the woodsman, who is looking paler by the minute

Spoiler: wighard
    Show
    this man's condition is mortal. the best you could do is get information out of him

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The dwarf looks at the woodsman sweeting through his sheets. Wighard is the man in pain? Perhaps a quick death is mercy if death is inevitable. He reaches down to touch his battle axe and looks at the woodsman to see recognition or resolution in his eyes.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

the woodsmens eyes are glazed over. there's no recognition

19. - Top - End - #559
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard shakes his head He is far beyond any medical help I can give him and I lack the magic to cure him. The best I can do is wake him up for a moment or two, which is ethically dubious and I wouldn't do it lest I think us in dire need of his help

He removes a small flask from his kit and dabs out a few drops into a cloth

Spirit of hartshorn

He places the cloth under the dying man's nose so even with his shallow breathing he cannot help but inhale it

Show

Flask with smelling salts, used for reviving dental patients after a procedure. French, 18th century.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

the man stirs. "who are you?" he croaks through dry lips. looking around, his eyes widen and he begins to panic. "not here, not now!" he mutters, thrashing against the ropes

wdyd?

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis steps back a little, as the man begins his thrashing - uncertain of the malady, but desirous to give Gimgroth a clean arc of the axe, if a mercy-kill becomes suddenly realistic!

22. - Top - End - #562
    Troll in the Playground

We are here to kill the beast friend? What can you tell us?

23. - Top - End - #563
    Troll in the Playground

the man relaxes somewhat. "i was out late chopping wood, when i heard a growl and it all went black. then i woke up here. i dimly remember giving directions to a man about a gully but thats it"
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2022-05-11 at 11:24 AM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

Could you give us the directions?

He pauses

I am afraid you are dying my friend, that bite is infected and there is nothing in my power to stop it.

Do you have any kin or any last request?

25. - Top - End - #565
    Troll in the Playground

the man gives you directions to the gully. " i have no kin , so kill me quickly" the man murmurs, baring his throat

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard takes the man's hand and grasps it tightly, whilst covering his eyes with the other so he does not see the blow fall

May Shallya grant you relief from all pain and you journey safely into the Raven Lord's realm

He nods to Gimgroth

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gimgroth gives the man the peace that was evading him in these final hours. The strike was fast, clean and merciful as the dwarf kept his axe razor sharp and was a master at his craft. Perhaps he had a future as an executioner if this treasure map led to nothing but adventure.
    Do you wish to try for this gully tonight or to wait for our hosts return? On my account I think it best not to be caught outside at night in country strange to us but known to this beast.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Let us arrange his burial and await our host

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

the man is buried outside the town, and after several hours, you hear the clatter of hooves. a thick-necked, bullish man walks in, and plops into an armchair which groans under his weight. "no luck alas" the man groans, and signals for the serving boy to bring drinks. noticing you all, he says "ah, where are my manners? im master armata, the keeper of this village. who all are you?"

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

My lord, may I present Sir Bertelis, Knight Errant of Bretonnia, and we three are his companions in the Company of the Burning Slug, Gimgroth son of Grimdur, Emil Reissner and myself Wighard Rauschenberg.

We understand you have a monster problem and your village is on our way.