New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: tomboys and troublemakers: a wfrp 2e game

It’s the least Sir Bertelis can do to help Wighard with a scout about the trees for the requisite moss, as they go. Being the only one with a modicum of outdoorsmanship, he feels he has the best chance of helping.

Spoiler: Outdoor Survival
    Show
    vs46 - (1d100)[1]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

talk about luck! sir bertelis stumbles across a mossy log, and whaddya know, there's a corpse sitting next to the log, wearing a rusty suit of imperial plate. it'lll need a little work, but you got your wish

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard regards the corpse, trying to work out cause of death and how long it has been there

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

(1d100)[42] INT51

It seems these woods are not a safe space even for the well outfitted. I would suggest we approach our destination with some circumspection, our warriors barely overcame one of these creatures.

If a whole community has been attacked we face being greatly outnumbered

He strips some moss to dry a little by the ashes of their fire and then puts it next to his body to dry out further as they move. He will also look out for anything else he can use (mushrooms, leaves etc)

Show

(1d100)[28] Trade Apothecary 51

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

“Agreed; though when we are alert and ready, they shall not be so successful. And I am not sure this is the threat the the miners, and not simply a ghastly denizen of the cursed forest. Still, caution is fair and you are right to comment it. As for this poor soul… it does no one good to drag his vessel around. We know his resting place; we can bring him back to town and inter him under the eyes of Morr after we tend to the mine.”

Leaving the fallen warrior for now, the knight is eager to move on - if sore, still.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: wighard
    Show
    judging by the way the birds have pecked out his eyeballs, he's been there awhile

the rest of the journey passes without incident, and you arrive at the mine. ruined mine-carts and broken tools lay everywhere, strangely, there are no corpses to be seen. wdyd?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Back in his mail, and obviously suppressing a grimace with each bounce in the saddle, the Bretonnian looks down at the scene with dismay.

"...A hellish, knock-down fight, ah? Fought until their improvised weapons broke, perhaps..."

He use his steed to do a quick patrol of the perimeter of the mine, seeing if there's any obvious survivors or intruders. He leaves the more meticulous examination of the immediate scene to his savvy comrades.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    vs23 - (1d100)[4]
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-12-13 at 06:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard looks about him, Well that's... Certainly a thing. Did they say what they mined here?

They must have have lived somewhere, and processed the ore too and both require water

He will check the site, not really expecting to find anything, but maybe some scraps of cloth or blood, or signs that any bodies have been removed.

Then cast about for sites of habitation and processing, both of which he expects to find downhill and try and get a sense of how the winds of magic flow here

Show

(1d100)[11] Perception 51

(1d100)[53] Magical Sense 57

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: wighard
    Show
    you find blood trails, headed into the mine, they appear to be drag marks. the winds of magic are also a tad unreliable here. habitation, and processing are untouched

Spoiler: sir bertelis
    Show
    you do hear sobbing coming from a little ways off, it sounds like a girl, but you cant be sure
    Last edited by bramblefoot; 2021-12-13 at 12:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bramblefoot View Post
    Spoiler: sir bertelis
    Show
    you do hear sobbing coming from a little ways off, it sounds like a girl, but you cant be sure
    After tracking the sound to its source or near enough, Bertelis dismounts and resumes the search on foot. Once he’s near enough to hear it, he offers in a voice spoken clear enough to be thought neither domineering, nor sneaking: “Come on out, now. It’s over now; I’m a good knight, and my friends and I are here to help.”

Spoiler
    Show
    (d100)[71] charm, vs… 40 something, I’ll check. FP if required.
    (d100)[26]

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard decides that he doesn't want to get closer to the mine entrance right now, and goes look for Sir Bertelis and some light sources

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

the crying stops, and teenager with mismatched eyes walks out of the woods. her face is tear-stained and her clothes are filthy. "who are you?" she murmurs, and collapses

wighard, you get here just in time to see this

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis dismounts at once, and sinks to his knees to cradle the girl. He looks up at Wighard, implicitly submitting to his medical authority in any way he can.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Wighard makes his way quickly down to the two of them

Please step aside in case she turns out to be an evil shapeshifter, no point letting it grab both of us

He looks her over quickly and checks her skin, Cold and dehydrated, get us a fire going if you can please. he turns his attention back to her, Hello. I am Wighard, are you hurt anywhere? How long have you been outside?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

the teen blinks up at you. "i dont remember. a day, maybe more? i got a nasty scratch on my upper arm from a tree branch when blundering through the forest at night" she rolls up her sleeve, revealing a red, raw scratch mark

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Letting someone else take care of lighting a fire, Emil has a closer look at the girl's injury.

"Hold still, please. I need to remove any dirt from the wound first, so this may hurt a little bit. Don't worry. You're with friends now."

He was confident that her explanations would be forthcoming, and did not press her further.

Spoiler
    Show
    Heal 53: (d100)[54]

are you kidding me
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-12-15 at 09:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Grimgoth hurries about gathering wood and starting a fire to bring light and warmth. Once the fire is roaring he takes a brand from the campfire and goes to inspect the mouth of the mine. He surveys the area to see if he can make any sense of what he sees.
    Show

PerceptionVs38 - (1d100)[47]
    SearchVs28 - (1d100)[17]

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

the cave slopes downwards at a sharp angle. drag marks are evident on the slope, along with a few dried blood trails, the cave itself looks somehow sinister, as if darkness bats at the light of the torch

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you Grimgoth, Wighard settles by the fire and observes Emil's technique, and hands the girl a waterflask, Drink lightly at first, dangerous to drink too much too soon

Show

(1d100)[17] Charm 51 to get her to open up

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

"things came out of the mine" the teenager says in a small voice. "big creatures, easily twice the size of a man, speaking a unknown language. da told me to run and i did, but i heard screams and the crunching of bones, as the creatures dragged them away into the mine"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Grimgoth looks down at the ground and mumbles sounds like Trolls damnit where's a slayer when you need one of them.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis looks into the mouth of the mine with a glimmer of dread. The path certainly leads into its belly; there is no escaping that conclusion. He rolls his shoulder and grimaces at the pain, shakes his head a little, and gets to preparing. He fishes the pair of torches from his horses' saddlebags, and lays them beside the fire. He straps his shield to his back, brings his horses over near to the fire and tethers them to a stake he drives into the ground.

Then he takes a knee in front of the cave, draws his longsword and drives its point into the earth, and leans on it as he prays.

Spoiler: Prayer to the Lady
    Show
    Sir Bertelis is using his ability to invoke a Gift of the Lady. Bramble, there's a couple of things you ought to know to adjudicate that, but none of it is super burdensome so here's the rundown.

Basically, he prays for a minute, spends a fortune point, "Before going into combat" and gains one of a number of bonuses (+20% to resist poison, OR +1 Armor all over, OR Roll Twice and Choose for damage, OR +20% to resist fear, OR +10% to resist magic). He gets to choose the one he wants, and will usually get it, but if his patron deity, the Lady of the Lake, sees fit, she might give him a different gift than he asks for if it would be more relevant - the knight may be unaware that he's about to walk into a den of poison-dart shooting lizard men, but the Lady knows, and might choose to give him poison resist instead of what he asked for, for example.

Secondly, the duration of the blessing is kind of vague. He prays "before going into combat". A very strict reading of this would forbid it's use unless he's immediately about to enter a fight. I think it's obvious he can't wake up in the morning and pray and carry the blessing in his pocket until he needs it, but it seems to me if he has a reasonable idea he's going into danger (like a mine full of maybe trolls), it should be fine. It costs a Fortune Point after all, and if no combat results during the next scene, he's just down an FP for no benefit. Let me know if any part of that's unclear!

In this case, Sir Bertelis is asking for the Might of Purity - which manifests the ability to roll twice and choose the better result, when dealing damage.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: sir bertielis
    Show
    the lady grants you the boon, with a simple instruction. "protect the girl. she is more important than she appears"

any preparations before entering the mine?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

What's your name child? What do they mine here?

Wighard will check the houses for anything flammable or a light source, and take a look at the processing area just in case there is anything like acid that can be weaponised

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

"im siobhan, and they mine iron in this mine" siobhan says.

wighard you find a crank lantern in each house and two vials of greenish liquid in the processing area

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Emil just paces nervously around the mine entrance. Having no preparations to make, all he can do is dread what is coming. He is no stranger to dark, enclosed spaces, having done a couple of stints in prison, but this is the first time he actually sets out to kill something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Siobhan, can you wait here with Adélard and Rainier, we are going to see what we can do.

Is there another entrance or is that the only one?

He looks at the others

Should we go in? We were asked to check the place out and we have. Taking word back to come and coming back with reinforcements may be better than going in, getting killed and having another group follow us into danger
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-12-19 at 12:03 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

"there was a little side entrance a few seasons back" siobhan says. she adds "i dont know if it's in any kind of repair, but you could try it"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Bertelis rises from his prayer, cleans off his blade, and considers Siobhan with new eyes. He frowns a little, thoughtfully.

“Why are you here, ma’amselle? Does your father work this mine..?”

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Should we go in? We were asked to check the place out and we have. Taking word back to come and coming back with reinforcements may be better than going in, getting killed and having another group follow us into danger
    Grimgoth looked at the cave and then back towards his companions. Wighard we were asked to investigate the mine. At this point what do we go and tell the guild. We don't have any information. I don't think we need to go in there. pointing a thumb towards the mine entrance. And kill a nest full of trolls but I do think we need to find out what actually was behind this attack. I think we owe that much to our employers and to the people who work here.
    Grimgoth lights his lantern and starts walking towards the mine's mouth. He looks down at the trails of blood at least it will be easy to track whomever was responsible.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

At this point what do we go and tell the guild. We don't have any information.

The reason you lost communication with the mine is because they were taken by some sort of monsters.