New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Build Luke Skywalker

Hey folks, some of you may remember my Force User guide from last year https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...h-Broom)-Build. I decided to take the time to put together a video for a specific version of that Force User build - so I created a Build Luke Skywalker video.

Unlike most other builds of this type, I went through every single usage of his powers in the movies, and created 5e analogs from those powers, and reverse engineered my class picks and multi-classing progression from that.

Hopefully people find this useful, helpful, enjoyable etc. Happy to hear feedback - especially if you want to do it on youtube for the ALGORITHM ;)

2. - Top - End - #2

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Build Luke Skywalker

Curious if anyone had any constructive feedback before I record my 2nd video.

If not, no worries. Thanks for your time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by CMCC View Post
    Hey folks, some of you may remember my Force User guide from last year https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...h-Broom)-Build. I decided to take the time to put together a video for a specific version of that Force User build - so I created a Build Luke Skywalker video.

Unlike most other builds of this type, I went through every single usage of his powers in the movies, and created 5e analogs from those powers, and reverse engineered my class picks and multi-classing progression from that.

Hopefully people find this useful, helpful, enjoyable etc. Happy to hear feedback - especially if you want to do it on youtube for the ALGORITHM ;)

Starting your video, I can already said it is built on a premise that does not fit the evidences given by the work you're analysing.

No, Luke Skywalker does not have blaster as a go-to weapon, nor does he usually have R2 at his side.

Luke never shoot anyone with an (hand-held) blaster again after he escapes the Death Star. And he never actually even have a blaster in hand before the Death Star. And R2-D2 spends far less time with Luke ss you imply, generally not even being there while Luke does action stuff.

Also he, unlike his father, never demonstrates any crafting or mechanical or technological capacity more advanced than making a door pannel explode to temporarily block the door, making him a poor fit for Artificier. Simply living somewhere with wonderful technology isn't enough to be an Artificier, otherwise everyone in Spelljammer would be.

I saddly couldn't finish the video, yet, but I will have the opportunity in a couple.

I can post my own Luke Skywalker build for you to criticise, if you wish. It's only fair, but it's also fair if you don't want me adding things other than the thread's topic.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2021-11-20 at 02:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Luke's best skill at this point, besides complaining" cracked me up 🤣

I'm loving the video, try using a low-cut (aka high pass filter) on your recording to make your voice less boomy ^^

I love how you maintained focus on "actual luke" the entire videoC but always mentioned fun options when they were available, for those who want to go more "luke-esque" than an exact representation.

Repeating shot was a really nice touch. I appreciated that! As was the big "yup" ^^

Yeah I'm writing this as I'm watching AND HOLY **** YOU GAVE ME R2D2!!!!

I didn't make it past 16 minutes, mostly because of lack of interest in the subject, but apart from lacking some pacing and hype, the video was both solid and thorough. A lot of work and thought went into the build and I appreciated every minute of it! Hope to see more :)

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post

No, Luke Skywalker does not have blaster as a go-to weapon, nor does he usually have R2 at his side.

Luke never shoot anyone with an (hand-held) blaster again after he escapes the Death Star. And he never actually even have a blaster in hand before the Death Star. And R2-D2 spends far less time with Luke ss you imply, generally not even being there while Luke does action stuff.
    Watch the video or movies again. He uses his lightsaber against Vader and no one else for 2/3 of his entire story. He draws his blaster before his saber. This only changes in Jedi.

I was shocked by this and many other things - as shown in the video.

Post Vader fight #1, the LS becomes his primary weapon and it will certainly be for this build - fairly early.

Feel free to post your build, happy to see it. I’d just ask that you show specifically where your filled in skill/ability gaps that I’ve missed and how you plan to replace all the ones I’ve listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    "Luke's best skill at this point, besides complaining" cracked me up 🤣

I'm loving the video, try using a low-cut (aka high pass filter) on your recording to make your voice less boomy ^^

I love how you maintained focus on "actual luke" the entire videoC but always mentioned fun options when they were available, for those who want to go more "luke-esque" than an exact representation.

Repeating shot was a really nice touch. I appreciated that! As was the big "yup" ^^

Yeah I'm writing this as I'm watching AND HOLY **** YOU GAVE ME R2D2!!!!

I didn't make it past 16 minutes, mostly because of lack of interest in the subject, but apart from lacking some pacing and hype, the video was both solid and thorough. A lot of work and thought went into the build and I appreciated every minute of it! Hope to see more :)
    Thank you! The audio sucks to be honest. I made some changes and next vid will be better - I hope.
    Last edited by CMCC; 2021-11-20 at 03:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

It's not as bad as you think it is, and a million times better than no video :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Watch the video or movies again. He uses his lightsaber against Vader and no one else for 2/3 of his entire story
    He uses it against the Wampa, against the AT-TT, and against the Vader Vision. Aka the only two battles where he does fight someone/something before facing Vader, and one where he think he's fighting someone.

He draws his blaster before his saber. This only changes in Jedi.
    Technically true, but my point is he never *fires* a blaster at anyone past the Death Star. And he never even has a blaster before the Death Star, either. His weapon of choice before getting the lightsaber is a hunting slugthrower he never get to use.

Feel free to post your build, happy to see it. I’d just ask that you show specifically where your filled in skill/ability gaps that I’ve missed and how you plan to replace all the ones I’ve listed.
    Thank you, and I will do as you say. It'll just have to wait tomorrow, due to unforeseen events.

I want to apologize if I sounded like a jerk in previous interactions.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned wanting to make a second video. May I ask what the topic will be?
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2021-11-20 at 05:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Also he, unlike his father, never demonstrates any crafting or mechanical or technological capacity more advanced than making a door pannel explode to temporarily block the door, making him a poor fit for Artificier. Simply living somewhere with wonderful technology isn't enough to be an Artificier, otherwise everyone in Spelljammer would be.
    To be fair in the various novelizations Luke is described as being quite mechanically adept. And he does build his own green-blade saber, after all.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueKnightGuy

He uses it against the Wampa, against the AT-TT, and against the Vader Vision. Aka the only two battles where he does fight someone/something before facing Vader, and one where he think he's fighting someone.

Technically true, but my point is he never *fires* a blaster at anyone past the Death Star. And he never even has a blaster before the Death Star, either. His weapon of choice before getting the lightsaber is a hunting slugthrower he never get to use.

Thank you, and I will do as you say. It'll just have to wait tomorrow, due to unforeseen events.

I want to apologize if I sounded like a jerk in previous interactions.

Out of curiosity, you mentioned wanting to make a second video. May I ask what the topic will be?
    On mobile, so please mind my formatting.

Good points on the saber, although I will say that with the wampa, there was no blaster in sight. So necessity dictated that. Vader vision was a “Vader” fight in my mind and he had a blaster equipped going into the cave of evil.

Also my build starts with A New Hope and switches to a light saber post A New Hope. So I think we’re largely in agreement on that point. The weapon we see him use the most is the blaster rifle. Beyond that, it depends, but he will grab that blaster if it’s handy. The build reflects that. It’s important to have both light saber and blaster skills.

Don’t worry about tone. As long as there are no ad hominem attacks - I’m good. You clearly know this stuff so I’m happy to discuss it. I believe you had the darth maul barbarian levels - so you may find the alt build at the end of the vid interesting.

Next build will be Geralt of Rivia (mostly from Witcher 3) - hopefully in time for Season 2 of the show. Research is done. D&D analogs for those abilities have all been found. Now is the “easy” part: writing, vid capture, recording, and editing.

All for demonitized videos. Ha. What am I doing?!

10. - Top - End - #10

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    To be fair in the various novelizations Luke is described as being quite mechanically adept. And he does build his own green-blade saber, after all.
    As the vid shows, he reattaches C-3PO’s arm. Like, it’s fully torn off. Wires frayed. And he repairs that **** without issue.

Not to mention he clearly is a “gear head” type who builds technological stuff with his friends, is tasked by his uncle to repair/ clean two droids. And yeah, builds his own lightsaber.

That’s enough for me. If it’s not enough for someone else, then I don’t know what to say. Again, this doesn’t mean he’s the BEST with this stuff. He’s not an artificer 20. He’s a dabbler with skills.

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

Every padawan builds their own lightsaber when it's time. I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
    Every padawan builds their own lightsaber when it's time. I wouldn't put too much stock into that.
    Then all Jedi should have 2 levels in artificer. See my force user guide.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Then all Jedi should have 2 levels in artificer. See my force user guide.
    Or just have one or two tool proficiency. Artificers IMO make a poor base for Jedi especial since most of them, Luke included, knew mostly the basic stuff need for maintenance of various tech. Knowing how to change oil on your car does not a mechanic make. Besides, the only skill Luke was really exceptionally good at was piloting.

In my head the perfect Jedi in 5ed would be a Paladin/Sorcerer gestalt with spellcasting ability being tied to Wisdom and not Charisma. Baring that typical Sorcadin should do the trick
    Life before death.

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Sorcerer's too much, IMO. The Force doesn't really translate to a full caster like that, with umpteen million options.
    Hexadin makes more sense, IMO (and fits the "lightsaber fighting style" best to boot).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Schwann145 View Post
    Sorcerer's too much, IMO. The Force doesn't really translate to a full caster like that, with umpteen million options.
    Hexadin makes more sense, IMO (and fits the "lightsaber fighting style" best to boot).
    That is another problem, spellslot wise Jedi are on the level of full casters but technically should have less variety in spells and even entire spell schools.

A simple Paladin with Sunblade, Suggestion and Telekinesis is basically a Jedi Knight, just add more spell slots on top of that.
    Life before death.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaBarr View Post
    Or just have one or two tool proficiency. Artificers IMO make a poor base for Jedi especial since most of them, Luke included, knew mostly the basic stuff need for maintenance of various tech. Knowing how to change oil on your car does not a mechanic make. Besides, the only skill Luke was really exceptionally good at was piloting.

In my head the perfect Jedi in 5ed would be a Paladin/Sorcerer gestalt with spellcasting ability being tied to Wisdom and not Charisma. Baring that typical Sorcadin should do the trick
    Did you watch the vid? Paladin brings almost nothing to the table compared to the current build.

And yes, repairing droids, attaching arms, and building “magical” weapons is basically as close to an artificer as you will find in that universe and many others.

Also, as explained in the vid, I little concern with matching stats to how we think Luke is portrayed physically and mentally. I’m primarily concerned with mechanics. It trumps all.

Also Sorcadins are not wisdom casters so that is impossible unless you go against RAW, which is not an option here.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDaBarr View Post
    That is another problem, spellslot wise Jedi are on the level of full casters but technically should have less variety in spells and even entire spell schools.

A simple Paladin with Sunblade, Suggestion and Telekinesis is basically a Jedi Knight, just add more spell slots on top of that.
    Ok it seems you def didn’t watch the vid. These meet almost none of the requirements and the TK feat is not a fit for the original trilogy for reasons explained.
    Last edited by CMCC; 2021-11-22 at 05:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Sorry, I've been seek these last few days. I'm still planning on posting my build once I feel better.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueKnightGuy

Sorry, I've been seek these last few days. I'm still planning on posting my build once I feel better.
    Just came here after rewatching the AT-TT battle because I felt I was misremembering something. I will say that he uses his lightsaber as a tool not a weapon. He doesn't actually use it on anyone (unless I somehow just missed it, or have an edited version on Disney+ - which wouldn't surprise me).

Excited to see the build. Curious if you watched mine.

Feel better.
    Last edited by CMCC; 2021-11-22 at 10:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Maybe I misheard you in the video, but it has been corrected by devs that the custom lineages' racial adjustments cannot be used for the same ability score, so you cannot start with an 18 in one score right out of the gates, unless you roll your stats (and roll well)
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Maybe I misheard you in the video, but it has been corrected by devs that the custom lineages' racial adjustments cannot be used for the same ability score, so you cannot start with an 18 in one score right out of the gates, unless you roll your stats (and roll well)
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that your level 1 feat can't be used for the same ability score as custom lineage?
    Last edited by CMCC; 2021-11-24 at 01:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that your level 1 feat can't be used for the same ability score as custom lineage?
    NVM, I seem to have mixed "Custom Lineages" and "Customizing Your Origin" -rules with each other. My bad.

Then again, there was a similar discussion relating to Changeling, which is somewhat in line with Custom Lineages, in that by the book it (originally) appeared so that you could assign their floating +1 on top of their Cha +2, which, IIRC (again) was corrected that you cannot.

It's somewhat similar to Custom Lineage because there's one static +2 bonus and one floating +1, which is essentially same as floating +2 and floating +1, if you also use Customizing Your Origin -rule.

However, I do realize that Custom Lineage is different, because the +1 in addition to +2 comes from a feat, and they don't lay down restrictions one way or another.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2021-11-25 at 08:18 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Your video is pretty cool. I like your ideas, and no matter how your build would be, there will always be someone who disagree.

The sound could be improved a bit, but the video sequences are a nice take that differentiate from other build videos :)

23. - Top - End - #23

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palinux View Post
    Your video is pretty cool. I like your ideas, and no matter how your build would be, there will always be someone who disagree.

The sound could be improved a bit, but the video sequences are a nice take that differentiate from other build videos :)
    Thanks! Working on the sound for the next one.