New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Spider-Man: No Way Home - New Trailer

Hoo boy.

This might just be the first movie I see in a theater in nearly two years.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spider-Man: No Way Home - New Trailer

Oh, I like the twist. Good for him!
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

…I might have to get my ticket in advance for this one. Really hope it lives up to its promise!

EDIT:

Spoiler: And it looks like we can now confirm…
    Show

• Dr. Octavious
    • Green Goblin
    • Sandman
    • Electro (now in yellow!)
    • Lizard

…did I miss anyone?
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2021-11-16 at 09:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    …did I miss anyone?
    From the trailer, no - but presumably
    Spoiler
    Show
    Venom
    is going to get in on these shenanigans at some point. Oh hey, magic number.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Finally the Spiderman Cinematic Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Is it bad
    Show
    That I want a fight between Tom Hardy Venom and Topher Grace Venom?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

This looks...really good. And I say that as someone burned out on the MCU and who doesn't really like their Spider-man.

It's fairly obvious that
    Spoiler: major but fairly obvious
    spoilers
    Show
    Toby Mcguire and Andrew Garfield Spideys are supposed to be in that last shot but have been edited out.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Anteros
    This looks...really good. And I say that as someone burned out on the MCU….
    Same here. This could be the movie that relights my almost-smothered enthusiasm.

Spoiler: A Modest Prediction
    Show
    I'm thinking MJ falls, Pete can't catch her...and another Spider-Man makes the save. Possibly Andrew Garfield.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Show
    I didn't until JUST NOW.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I so badly wanted to see this in theaters but unfortunately will most likely end up waiting for Disney+ instead all things considered.

Spoiler: Was I seeing things in that trailer or...
    Show
    was there a hooded (non-masked) Green Goblin in that trailer? I can't tell if it's supposed to be DeHaan's or Franco's.

Also, in one scene, Electro looks like he's attacking Doc Ock, and the latter wasn't in the final showdown scene. Considering that scene with Ned and MJ, it makes me wonder if Otto isn't really a full villain in this movie. It would make sense for his character too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’m going to say no, it’s not bad. I expect if it happens it will be a short fight though. My headcanon right now is that the black suit we’ve seen is THE black suit, with Peter borrowing the Tom Hardy Venom symbiote and getting various other bits and pieces from his other allies.

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Spoiler: Was I seeing things in that trailer or...
    Show

Also, in one scene, Electro looks like he's attacking Doc Ock, and the latter wasn't in the final showdown scene. Considering that scene with Ned and MJ, it makes me wonder if Otto isn't really a full villain in this movie. It would make sense for his character too.
    Spoiler: Second this
    Show

It would not only fit his Sam Raimi 2 characterization, but there’s at least one videogame wherein Doc Ock helps Peter make equipment for Spider-man, so there’s previous precedent there too. Add to that the whole premise is that these people died and he has already willingly sacrificed himself once…

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by ben-zayb
    Spoiler: Seeing Things
    Show
    Considering that scene with Ned and MJ, it makes me wonder if Otto isn't really a full villain in this movie. It would make sense for his character too.
    Definitely had that vibe, and it's got my vote.

13. - Top - End - #13

I so badly wanted to see this in theaters but unfortunately will most likely end up waiting for Disney+ instead all things considered.
    You have my condolences for your impending spoiler/meme dodges online.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    This looks...really good. And I say that as someone burned out on the MCU and who doesn't really like their Spider-man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Same here. This could be the movie that relights my almost-smothered enthusiasm.
    And this is why they won't be dying anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It's fairly obvious that
    Spoiler: major but fairly obvious
    spoilers
    Show
    Toby Mcguire and Andrew Garfield Spideys are supposed to be in that last shot but have been edited out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: A Modest Prediction
    Show
    I'm thinking MJ falls, Pete can't catch her...and another Spider-Man makes the save. Possibly Andrew Garfield.
    Agreed on both counts. That last part especially would be so clutch!
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-11-17 at 09:33 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #14

Okay, but can they stop giving Spider-Man more advanced armor? He's kind of not supposed to be Iron Man 2.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Peter can have gadgets, but no armor please. Stuff Peter manipulates with his hands, and sometimes accidentally breaks at key moments, not a second skin please.

16. - Top - End - #16

I definitely think it's time for the Iron Spider to get broken beyond repair.

With that said, Iron Spider vs. S6 is a fight I wouldn't mind seeing. Usually Peter has needed outside help taking all of them on.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dunno why everyone assumes MJ will be saved from the fall. Spiderman in comics and movies has a long history of being motivated by the death of a girlfriend via fall.

Haven't had a good fridging for hero motivation in positively weeks. Classic for the win.

I'm pretty sure I saw mysterio in some preview or another. It could've been a flashback or a memory or a dream or something, but otherwise, there's your sixth member of the sinister six without needing Venom of any variety.

18. - Top - End - #18

Kind of mixed on this.

On the one hand the overall premise seems to be interesting of what they are setting up for future marvel movies. But at the same time it seems this is just a tale of accepting consequences as they come versus personal desires and dealing with the after effects. Nothing wrong with the set up but the execution of what is shown is a bit meh. Also that has pretty much been the thing with every Spider-Man movie made which I was hoping for something different at least. Further it is a give away they are going to have to go on a macguffin fetch quest so not all that excited for this. Also I would like to see more of a Peter focus story. Having the support characters of Ned and MJ around just makes me less interested. But then again never cared for Zendaya's take on MJ and Ned was never that interesting of a character, even as comic relief IMHO. Jacob Batalon however is showing to be a promising actor which I hope this can catapult his career as being more than the comic relief.

Seems as such several classic actors are returning such as Alfred Molina (Doc Oct), William Dafoe (Green Goblin, from how the voice sounded sounded) and looked to appear that Thomas Haden Church from one of the last screenshots (as Sandman) and J.K. Simmons (as J. Jonah Jameson). So that is not a bad thing. At the same time I'm not excited to see Jamie Foxx as Electro because I never thought he was a good actor for the character to begin with.

I am also not surprised to see black suit Spider-Man again. Has me wondering however if this version of Venom is just going to have an actual personality like in the stand alone films or just be evil plot device like it was in Spider-Man 3? I surmise Peter will be getting it as a replacement for the Iron Man armor then something happens to where he has to rely on himself. Nothing bad in that regard as we could see this take on Peter finally stand on his own.

In all interest is peaked which this may be one of the better Spider-Man movies in the recent years. But I'm not going to go rush out and see this immediately.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanVoodoo View Post
    J.K. Simmons (as J. Jonah Jameson)
    He was already shown at the end of Spider-Man Far From Home. He's the one who outed Peter's identity with the doctored footage from Mysterio.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2021-11-17 at 02:48 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermoot View Post
    Dunno why everyone assumes MJ will be saved from the fall. Spiderman in comics and movies has a long history of being motivated by the death of a girlfriend via fall.

Haven't had a good fridging for hero motivation in positively weeks. Classic for the win.
    No it is not a long history!

The Night Gwen Stacey Died, often called the start of the Bronze Age of comics occurred in 1973. (Others cite the 1971 revised comic code revision which is different than the 1954 version, the switch from Silver Age to Bronze Age was gradual, but the trend is obvious if you do some comparative styles) ... and after that key Spider-Man comic we see lots of girlfriends and other loved ones die to create "spectacle" and an artificial form of male pathos of the hero. It got so bad that 1999 Gail Simone, comic book writer, launched the Women in Refrigerators (or WiR) website in 1999. [ while Spiderman started this trope, and lots of other heroes have similar events that followed. Gail was referencing a 1994 Green Lantern story when she named the trope ]

And this "trope" is less common than it used to be since that time. We are talking about 48 years of comic history in other words, and "fridging" as you yourself referenced Wintermoot has not been a constant during that time.

It is a trope that needs to die, for all the reasons that was listed in the 1999 website and the following year after where many newspapers and so on talked about that article.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    No it is not a long history!

The Night Gwen Stacey Died, often called the start of the Bronze Age of comics occurred in 1973. ... We are talking about 48 years of comic history in other words, ...
    So.... 48 years isn't a long history? What... uh.. what would you consider a long history? Spiderman started in.. 63 right. So the "history" exists for 5/6th of the characters entire lifeline... seems pretty long to me. Not really sure what your issue with calling it a long history is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    It is a trope that needs to die, for all the reasons that was listed in the 1999 website and the following year after where many newspapers and so on talked about that article.

Yes. I agree. I'm sorry if my sarcasm wasn't clear to you in my post.

22. - Top - End - #22

Flumph

Just got around to seeing this, my hopes weren't initially high, but having ##### actually be a character in the story rather than one of a series of endless fanservice cameo fights? You have my interest.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

So.... 48 years isn't a long history? What... uh.. what would you consider a long history? Spiderman started in.. 63 right. So the "history" exists for 5/6th of the characters entire lifeline... seems pretty long to me. Not really sure what your issue with calling it a long history is.
    Most of Spider-Man’s history, his 4094 total comic appearances (not counting clones or alternate universes) are not about Gwen Stacey, her death, or another “fridged love one”, an event happened but his lore is ineffably more vast than one single beat.

Likewise the same with comics in general and that is why I put it context with greater history and how it was more common (but still uncommon) in a specific era, and we have mostly moved on from it now. Why shouldn’t the movies move on from it now? Do you really want to see a teenager die again? You say you are being sarcastic but some of us are tired of this empty spectacle and trope. I would start cursing (but board rules) to signify how some of us are tired of it!
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2021-11-17 at 04:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I figure she'll make it just because they're advertising the fall. If I had to guess at who is most likely to die in this one...

Spoiler: Predictions
    Show

...I'd say it's Aunt May. That scene she's in looks an awful lot like the one where Peter's trying to catch an exploding pumpkin bomb.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I figure she'll make it just because they're advertising the fall. If I had to guess at who is most likely to die in this one...

Spoiler: Predictions
    Show

...I'd say it's Aunt May. That scene she's in looks an awful lot like the one where Peter's trying to catch an exploding pumpkin bomb.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My money is on Peter failing to save Ned, though it would eventually be revealed as a fakeout and will lead to Hobgoblin becoming the next villain. That's assuming there's a part 4, though.

Or Peter fails to save both of them, and Aunt May dies for real.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

26. - Top - End - #26

Spoiler
    Show
    My money is on Peter failing to save Ned, though it would eventually be revealed as a fakeout and will lead to Hobgoblin becoming the next villain. That's assuming there's a part 4, though.

Or Peter fails to save both of them, and Aunt May dies for real.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wouldn't Aunt May dying just lead to another spell?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    We all know what Aunt May dying leads to. And (some) people have been demanding that since WandaVision
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    It would turn out Norman Osborn just hired Marisa Tomei to pretend as Aunt May. She was so convincing in her portrayal that Peter really thought it was her Aunt May who died instead of Tomei.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    It would turn out Norman Osborn just hired Marisa Tomei to pretend as Aunt May. She was so convincing in her portrayal that Peter really thought it was her Aunt May who died instead of Tomei.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Marvel honestly went with a Ocean's 12 style both the actor and character exist plot point, I'll have a new favourite movie.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    We all know what Aunt May dying leads to. And (some) people have been demanding that since WandaVision
    I mean...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Maybe Aunt May dies, Strange declines to cast another spell for Peter to change that, and so he goes to find another spellcaster , Wanda has that book now...
    Resident Vancian Apologist